Rangnick's January Window

tomaldinho1

Is Laird ready? Trippier seems very expensive.
I feel RR will want someone more dynamic than Trippier. Good thing about him as interim is I doubt he really thinks about short term signings given his background and there's no real expectation that we can win the big trophies this season - I'd imagine he'll also draw heavily on his knowledge from the BL if there are any transfers in Jan i.e. Haidara

Giggsy13

I hate the Glazers but they have spent more than enough. We shouldn’t be asking for more money to be spent. Time for their spent money to deliver.
No the leeches can continue to spend since we’re a cash cow and still earn them tons of money. The squad needs further investment and midfield is a glaring need.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If a fee comes in for Lingard then he’s off probably. Newcastle have money and are desperate for survival so they are the obvious choice.

Amad will go on loan.

Hopefully Mejbri gets a chance when he returns from the international tournaments.

Doubt we sign anyone unless we are serious about Haidara.
Still think he is still physically thin/frail to play any league games. Occasional cup matches maybe.

Cloud7

I can't see massive business being done. They ain't spending huge amounts on the say of an interim so he'll probably be lucky to get another low key midfielder
I think the club is moving past the point of signings being manager signings and rather being club signings, which I fully agree with

tomaldinho1

I think the club is moving past the point of signings being manager signings and rather being club signings, which I fully agree with
Although in this case, RR is kind of also overseeing this shift and evolution of the club so maybe he will actually be the main voice?

Cloud7

Although in this case, RR is kind of also overseeing this shift and evolution of the club so maybe he will actually be the main voice?
He’ll definitely have a significant say, along with Fletch and Murtough. I was more trying to make the point that signings the club makes in January might not be viewed as a signing for the interim manager, but rather a signing for the club as a whole going forward, including who we bring in next.

Zen86

Wouldn’t surprise me if we pulled the trigger on a midfielder in January. Not necessarily someone that Rangnick is after, rather a player we’ve had in our sights for a while. We seemed to be after one in the summer but couldn’t get anything done.

meninred

fixing the personell is important as the formation. I personally believe some of the players donot have the ability regardless of the coach.

Clearing out the wing players ( too many like 7 or so) and strengthening midfield are two priorities.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Jude Bellingham. Do not miss out again.

Dortmunds best player this season

tomaldinho1

He’ll definitely have a significant say, along with Fletch and Murtough. I was more trying to make the point that signings the club makes in January might not be viewed as a signing for the interim manager, but rather a signing for the club as a whole going forward, including who we bring in next.
Not sure Fletcher has a real say, it sounds like he’s a ‘cultural’ scout who sits in on the meetings but can’t see him being able to affect any signings in the same way Murtough, Bout and RR will. My hope is we now start to see top rated youngsters only and we essentially just stop signing anyone over their mid twenties. Haaland, Bellingham, Fofana types.

hungrywing

Is this the January transfer window or the (meta)physical window through which he’s going to jettison some…issues that are currently weighting us down.

hungrywing

Did we miss out? He rejected us.
We did. Or more accurately, Woodward did by running the club so poorly that for years it’s been a no-brainer for players like Bellingham to go elsewhere but at least sit down with United to see if they could get some better wages out of it.

Simply imagine he’s still at Birmingham and we went for him now, with a coach who has an unassailable record of playing youth and a staff with a football-oriented approach clearly in the beginning stages of firing up.

It’s not difficult at all to imagine that both Haaland and Bellingham would have been here if it weren’t for Woodward.

People bringing up - I’m not saying this is you - how “we offered them more money than Dortmund and they turned us down” are very ironically missing that that’s exactly why they turned us down. From the player’s perspective, that Woodward approach is just “More money is all you’re offering me in place of good coaching and a coach who I know is going to play me.” (Likewise, Raiola wouldn’t have been able to propose that release clause to us if we’d been in tip-top shape.)

Plus, within the profession, there would have been stigma attached to that money, not least of all association with Woodward, who by then was notoriously incompetent within the footballing world.

OrdinaryVice

Aren't PSG desperate for a ball progressing midfielder? Surely there is a deal to be made for Pogba in january, they want to win CL so they will have to spend on the next window.

AgentP

It’s unlikely we’ll sign anyone this winter. But Jude Bellingham should be our No.1 target in the summer. Even more so than Haaland.

Jibbs

Sell in Jan:
Martial
Pogba
Lingard

Sell or release in June:
Rashford
Matic
Mata (give him a coaching role)
Jones
Bailly

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Out:
Pogba (90m)
Lingard (40m)
Mata (10m)

That's £140m to play around with and we could go hard by spending it all on Declan Rice, using the other 5m to upgrade the leaky roof.

no i'm not being serious
:lol: nice

L1nk

Sell in Jan:
Martial
Pogba
Lingard

Sell or release in June:
Rashford
Matic
Mata (give him a coaching role)
Jones
Bailly
There's no way Rashford will be going anywhere, I envisage him staying at the club for his entire career, no matter how badly he plays.

Dazzmondo

It’s unlikely we’ll sign anyone this winter. But Jude Bellingham should be our No.1 target in the summer. Even more so than Haaland.
I'd be shocked if we don't sign a midfielder in January. Haidara looks likely, has a release clause, nothing Leipzig can do about it and they've already spoken about the situation which probably suggests there's been contact. No chance Bellingham leaves in the summer. Dortmund sell one superstar per season. Next season is obviously Haaland because he has a release clause. Bellingham will prob be the following summer

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

Lingard out
Martial out

and 1 in probably Haidara or whatever his name is. There is enough in the squad to get top 4 you would think ,which is realistically all we are going to do this year .

Oranges038

Has to be at least one midfielder out there who is on the radar and another one or two for the summer.

I don't care what anyone says, Fred and McT aren't good enough to be on the bench and Matic is finished.

UpWithRivers

I feel Newcastle are definitely tapping up our players - So Lingard and Martial to Newcastle. Both of them look like they have checked out. Pogba will stay till summer.

Then we will sign a midfielder. I just cant see how we go all season with McFred. Even if they miraculously turn world class we cant go all season with 2 of them. Sure we have DVB but I dont think Rangnick sees him in midfield and Matic but he doesnt look like he suits a high energy press and he looks mostly done. So we have 2 midfielders which is ridiculous. I would like us to go for Bissouma but any top player will be near impossible to get out of their respective clubs if they are in the prem. So more likely it will be a Haidara but he will be more a back up then walk into the first team.

SAF is the GOAT

Don't forget that we also have to sell Andreas Pereirra

Is Laird ready? Trippier seems very expensive.
His Swansea played against forest and Garner and Laird was subbed off in the half time
I really hope its not because of something serious.

Bertie 2 Hats

Most urgent and available...

Outgoing in Jan:
Martial
Lingard

Incoming in Jan:
Kessie
Haidara

RedRJ

Must admit that I was impressed by Billy Gilmour on Saturday. Whether his ceiling is high enough is another matter, but worth a look I think.

ManRed

Dont think there will be much incomings in January.

Outgoings
Amad - loan
Lingard - Sell

Cavani, Martial, Mata and Matic will be gone in the summer.

Pogba will stay as no one is going to pay what he is asking for. He will sign a deal come early next year.

RUCK4444

Must admit that I was impressed by Billy Gilmour on Saturday. Whether his ceiling is high enough is another matter, but worth a look I think.
He was good but we were so dreadfully bad it’s hard to gauge. I haven’t seen him much for Norwich prior to the game

Andrew7582

We absolutely need to get a midfielder in January, we don't have anyone else that can do what McFred does in terms of energy and ball winning, the system will fall apart with Matic in there and it doesn't look like Rangnick sees VDB as an option there either.

Tallis

Same - was very impressed. But I have been an admirer of his skills for some time. I think Chelsea are just grooming him to be part of their midfield in the next 2-3 years.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Rangnick is a mastermind of transfers and scouting, and even though he's interim and only has six weeks to prepare, my guess is he will go big to prove to United that he deserves a powerful role going forward.

Most of us agree that a new DM is paramount to us winning something this season, but also to bring balance to the squad. Furthermore we need to get rid of freeloaders and loan out youngsters which Rangnick must've realised watching that performance against Young Boys. So what's your ideal, realistic January window? Here's mine:

BUY
HAIDARA

A player that instantly can improve our midfield and cover RB that knows Rangnick’s style, and a massive United fan to boot. Expect Rangnick to try and get a hidden gem or two as well and then get Tchouameni in the summer (Paul Mitchell can help Rangnick there).

LOAN
HENDERSON
AMAD
ELANGA
SAVAGE
IQBAL
FERNANDEZ
MCNEILL
SHORETIRE

With Rangnick’s vast network with clubs, managers and directors there'll be no shortage of suitors for our youngsters. It'd be incredible to create feeder club relations with the likes of Southampton/Salzburg/Lepizig/Hoffenheim/Schalke/Monaco/Ajax taking our youngsters on loan.

SELL
LINGARD
MATA
MATIC
POGBA

No one needs their experience anymore and Rangnick will know they're passengers collecting paychecks. Pogba will be the greatest challenge, but if anyone can convince him it's for his own best ahead of the World Cup it's Rangnick(doubt he wants Pogba as highest earner). Hopefully Newcastle will also try and take half our deadwood - bracing myself for a £30M dream McT bid.
that really cant happen as a feeder club when

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

sure we could send one player on loan there but thats not really a feeder club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hate the Glazers but they have spent more than enough. We shouldn’t be asking for more money to be spent. Time for their spent money to deliver.
It's hardly fair for Rangnick to have to work with the mess the amateur manager left behind either. Surely we can spare 30m-40m so he can at least buy 1 CM

AndySmith1990

There's no way Rashford will be going anywhere, I envisage him staying at the club for his entire career, no matter how badly he plays.
That just shouldn't be the case though. One of the many, many problems at this club is holding on to players for too long when they offer nothing. I'm not saying Rashford should be sold, only talking hypothetically should he not show any signs of improvement.