Rank Our Current Reserves / Youth by Potential or Likelihood of Making 1st Team

Mickson

Why do I feel like SAF leaned on the youth more than our managers since then? Is that accurate? Did he promote more often from within — other than Fergie’s Fledgling s of course.

off the top of my head, O’Shea, Brown, Richardson, Fletcher, Evans, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles, Butt, Beckham, Cleverley, Welbeck, Gibson, etc.
Yes. People went into trans with Ole for a while and thought he gave a chance to our youth players just because he played all of them in one game. But in reality, he just gave Greenwood (who was a generational talent) his chance and somewhat Williams too, but other than that, he was very careful. Even ex-players were baffled that so few players got their chance when everyone else was shit. Elanga was one of those he ignored totally.

LvG was really good, though.

Gandalf

That’s a relief about Garner. For Tuanzebe, he has all of the physical tools. He made some awful errors in a few matches which soured Ole on his potential. You know who else made errors, more than Tuanzebe? DeGea, Fred, Bailly, Maguire, Dalot, Telles, Pogba…. Frankly, I’d rather keep Tuanzebe and play him in Carabao and Europa matches, sell off Jones (impossible) and Bailly (10m-15m?). Tbf, Bailly has looked good in preseason.
I think we need to unload Axel asap if we can, he is 25 in a few months time and his contract is running down. I don't agree that his issues were only due to Ole souring on him either he has simply gone backwards as a player. He went on loan to Villa last season and despite the narrative that is was Stevie G's bias that saw that fail the truth is Dean Smith had already dropped him after a poor start to the season and after that he went to Napoli for half a season playing just twice with only 1 league appearance. He probably needs to drop down to the Championship in the hopes of finding some mojo and building back up but the ship has long since sailed on him making it here.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Why do I feel like SAF leaned on the youth more than our managers since then? Is that accurate? Did he promote more often from within — other than Fergie’s Fledgling s of course.

off the top of my head, O’Shea, Brown, Richardson, Fletcher, Evans, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles, Butt, Beckham, Cleverley, Welbeck, Gibson, etc.
Fergie did it over longer periods and he was given time.

Thing to remember is that since Ferguson has gone the new managers have taken over youth players from previous regimes. Rashford was under Van Gaal, McTominay was under Mourinho etc, Greenwood under Solskjaer.

I don't think the likes of Evans, Welbeck, Cleverley and one or two others would have been sold so quickly as new managers are keen to get instant results driven by a toxic fanbase.

It feels like theres less as a consequence, but the actual numbers are pretty similar.

demetre

Mejbri and Shoretire are very talented, but they are not creative enough to play an advanced role in senior team, nor do they have the ability to play deeper. I hope to see both being loaned out.

Iqbal and Savage showed great promise in those two pre-season games, but it's just two pre-season games.

Garnacho - Exciting player who had a really good year. If we won't sign anyone to play on either wing, he should get his opportunities. I like how confident he looks on the pitch.

Garner - I don't see it in him tbh. The idea of him being a combination of Carrick and Fletcher is enticing, but every time I see him play, he just looks mediocre. Should go back to Forest for one more year.

Amad - I think he's the most talented youngster we have. For me he's as big of a talent as Greenwood, Januzaj, Pogba or Ravel were. I feel like it's hard for him to adjust to not being a level above everyone else like he used to in Youth football. When something doesn't come off, his confidence quickly breaks down and he becomes a liability. His physicality is also an issue. It's crucial to find a good loan for him.

Pellistri - he's alright. I can see him playing occasionally this season for us and making a good impression. His end product is lacking though.

Mengi - I like him, but we have 5 senior centre backs ahead of him.

Chong - No chance he makes it here at this point, but I'm pretty sure he will go on to have a good career somewhere.

All in all, a good bunch, but all have some big question marks.