Rank our post-SAF managers

LawmanMan

No one expected Moyes to keep that squad challenging for title. He had that squad heading toward bottom half table if given more chances. No one stopping Moyes to use the fund to improve that squad. He himself admitted he dithered and having Woodward didn't help either. Rene and Mick Phelan might not be the masterminds, but they could do the waterboys job good enough, evidently Phelan under Ole was part of the team get top 3 two times in a row and an EL final.

There is several level of failure and acceptable non achieving. Moyes simply failed and no excuses can counter argue that. Just like now ETH even with excuses like injuries, a mess of structure at the club doesn't explain why this season is rivaling Moyes' season at its worst.
Nope. Simply cowardice and weak management from the board. Sir Bobby called them out for it, as did Scholes. Sir Matt Busby was no doubt turning in his grave at the outrageously rapid complete abandonment of the club’s principles and tradition.

Doesn’t help when you have snakes like Ryan Giggs on the coaching staff mind.

ti vu

Nope. Simply cowardice and weak management from the board. Sir Bobby called them out for it, as did Scholes. Sir Matt Busby was no doubt turning in his grave at the outrageously rapid complete abandonment of the club’s principles and tradition.
Feel free to stay entitled to your opinion. However, there is no excuse when every other managers still got to spend plenty, while Moyes himself admitted he dithered for X, Y, Z reasons when he himself could push to change the squad how he liked.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't have Moyes at the bottom. When it came to coaching and results, yes he was the worst. But he simply wasn't around long enough to do lasting damage to the squad like some of the other managers, and his two signings actually ended up being fairly useful in the long run.

This is not an argument that he shouldn't have been sacked or that he deserved more time, far from it.

el3mel

I don't think he would have succeeded anyway but Moyes is the only manager post SAF who can claim he didn't get enough chance or time. He inherited an over the hill the squad with many players retiring or about to, a squad that needed ton of investment and he was sacked while he was planning how to do it. Makes evaluating his time here very tough in comparison to other managers who got their chance and time to rebuild the squad the way they want, splashing ton of money in the process before failing miserably.

Moyes also is the only manager who didn't get enough time to damage the squad or the club as much as the managers did with their signings and tactics.

As I said I do believe even if he had been backed the end results would have been the same, but as it stands, I can't evaluate him in the same lights as the other managers.

always_hoping

Moyes appointment did the most damage. It shook the foundations of the club from which a full ten years later still haven't recovered from.

After Ferguson retirement a like for like replacement was required to keep things steady for a few years, yet United made the same mistake as Liverpool did in the early 90s with making Souness their manager.

I don't blame Moyes a decent chap whereby West Ham and Everton is his level but with more competent people in charge than Woodward and Co not a hope would he be brought in as Ferguson replacement regardless if he was recommended by the man himself.

El Jefe

Jose
Ole & Van Gaal
ETH
Moyes (Because he inherited a title winning team and took it miles down)

But as far as worst individual season that accolade is going to ETHs current season which is by far the worst.

ETH was second on this list after last season but this season has been so disgraceful that if it continues he'll be the worst by the end of the season should he actually survive that long.

That said obviously ETH was already more successful than Ole but we had more "highs" in terms of performances under Ole. Sadly though we won nothing.
This is my list too and agree with all the explanations.

LawmanMan

Moyes appointment did the most damage. It shook the foundations of the club from which a full ten years later still haven't recovered from.

After Ferguson retirement a like for like replacement was required to keep things steady for a few years, yet United made the same mistake as Liverpool did in the early 90s with making Souness their manager.

I don't blame Moyes a decent chap whereby West Ham and Everton is his level but with more competent people in charge than Woodward and Co not a hope would he be brought in as Ferguson replacement regardless if he was recommended by the man himself.
There is no for like for Alex Ferguson, unless you maybe dig up Jock Stein. Moyes was the closest he found to a younger version of himself, but he stressed Moyes needed time to find his feet.

Saying Moyes did the most damage is pure hyperbole. Truth is he wasn’t there long enough to change much. Fact is, when Van Persie had one of his usual injury-abridged seasons we did not have the quality to fill the gap.

Hell, people slated Fellaini, but he ended up playing a massive role in two cup wins.

Captmfla

Jose (Europa and cup winner, 2nd place)
Moyes (His key players were injured)
Ole (Almost won something and played the united way for a period of time)
Lvg (Harsh on him but disliked him because he destroyed the spine of the team when he sold off Rio, Vidic, Rvp, Chicharito, Nani, Zaha etc)
Eth (Bot in poor players, Mishandling of C. Ronaldo, De Gea, Sancho?)

Wilt

Jose by a distance.

LVG best of the others ….just for the comedy factor.

always_hoping

There is no for like for Alex Ferguson, unless you maybe dig up Jock Stein. Moyes was the closest he found to a younger version of himself, but he stressed Moyes needed time to find his feet.

Saying Moyes did the most damage is pure hyperbole. Truth is he wasn’t there long enough to change much. Fact is, when Van Persie had one of his usual injury-abridged seasons we did not have the quality to fill the gap.

Hell, people slated Fellaini, but he ended up playing a massive role in two cup wins.
His appointment made the most damage not hyperbole as the proof is seen a decade later with what that appointment did. The truth is it was wrong to ever appoint him. As for using Van Persie injured as excuse, he wasn't even a United player in 2011/12 and United got the same amount of points that season as the last season under Ferguson.

Moyes was never suited to manage United and most certainly not as a direct replacement for Ferguson.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
His appointment made the most damage not hyperbole as the proof is seen a decade later with what that appointment did. The truth is it was wrong to ever appoint him. As for using Van Persie injured as excuse, he wasn't even a United player in 2011/12 and United got the same amount of points that season as the last season under Ferguson.

Moyes was never suited to manage United and most certainly not as a direct replacement for Ferguson.
The lasting damage is due to the Glazers, Woodward, and other Glazer lackeys. Moyes was awful as our manager but beyond that horrible season that he was in charge, he really had zero lasting impact.

WPMUFC

Jose
ETH
LVG
Carrick :P
Ole
Ragnick (simply for the truth he spoke on the squad)
Giggs
Moyes

always_hoping

The lasting damage is due to the Glazers, Woodward, and other Glazer lackeys. Moyes was awful as our manager but beyond that horrible season that he was in charge, he really had zero lasting impact.
I more or less said that already "I don't blame Moyes a decent chap whereby West Ham and Everton is his level but with more competent people in charge than Woodward and Co not a hope would he be brought in as Ferguson replacement"

And it's been a lasting impact. As it was the most important appointment to make sure the club stayed stable during a transition phase.

Irwin99

Moyes is still the worst for sheer shock value, and it wasn't entirely his fault either.

Can never forget the Fellaini and Baines bids that were, I think, for a combined total of 15 million that Everton called 'insulting and derisory'. We then had all summer to pay a release clause for Fellani, missed the deadline and then overpaid on deadline day :lol: . Also there was the Herrera stuff, god knows what that was all about.

I'm hoping it's not the end for EtH and he can turn it around. Jose is still probably the best manager we've had post SAF but as a person and as an old school football manager I still really like LVG. A proper football man and a decent guy it always seemed- the football was shite under him but he probably had the most distinct idea of how he wanted us to play, he just had no energy in the team to make it work.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Jose
ETH
LVG
Carrick :P
Ole
Ragnick (simply for the truth he spoke on the squad)
Giggs
Moyes
We have made our worst start to a campaign since 1930; finished bottom of our Champions League group and languish in eighth place in the Premier League, where only Sheffield United have scored fewer goals. £400million -- an amount never afforded to any previous manager— wasted in 2 seasons.

More highlights:

And ETH is your 2nd best manager? Your head needs wobbling.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

If I were to exclude trophies, and just go how off how happy generally I felt during their tenure:

Ole
Ten Hag
Mourinho
Van Gaal
Moyes

I had more enjoyable memories under Ole than anyone else. Not just during his caretaker spell, but also during lockdown when life was pretty depressing, I actually looked forward to watching United play every week.

For me, Ten Hag just about edges Mourinho (for now) because his first season had more highs than any of Mourinho's seasons, albeit the lows were very low. If this current season doesn't improve soon then Mourinho definitely overtakes him though.

History has been kind to Van Gaal because of the FA Cup win and his funny press conferences, however I've never been so close to cancelling my season ticket as I was during his second season. The football was so dour.

The less said about Moyes the better.

Zed 101

OGS
ETH
Mou
Moyes
LVG

This is based purely on my enjoyment of the football during their reign

The Hilton

I simply don't understand the rose tinted glasses that people look at Jose's reign with, it wasn't great at all.

In his first season we won the Europa league thanks to a hilariously weak bracket, finishing second in our group, and scraping past the likes Rostov, Anderlecht (aet), and Celta Vigo to get to the final, and to accomplish that we gave up on the league and ended up 6th.

In his second season we came second, but statistically we should have been much lower, and only got second due to DDG being superhuman and preventing an absurd amount of expected goals, along with some great finishing, and we went out of the CL with a whimper and Jose took to insulting the club instead of admitting any responsibility.

By the third season the wheels had come off and he'd fallen out with everyone and had to go.

always_hoping

If I were to exclude trophies, and just go how off how happy generally I felt during their tenure:

Ole
Ten Hag
Mourinho
Van Gaal
Moyes

I had more enjoyable memories under Ole than anyone else. Not just during his caretaker spell, but also during lockdown when life was pretty depressing, I actually looked forward to watching United play every week.

For me, Ten Hag just about edges Mourinho (for now) because his first season had more highs than any of Mourinho's seasons, albeit the lows were very low. If this current season doesn't improve soon then Mourinho definitely overtakes him though.

History has been kind to Van Gaal because of the FA Cup win and his funny press conferences, however I've never been so close to cancelling my season ticket as I was during his second season. The football was so dour.

The less said about Moyes the better.
I'll never forget that run of going 11 home matches in a row with the score line 0-0 at half time. In between that run I attended the FA Cup tie at home to League One Sheffield United. an absolute dour affair of a match just 1 shot on target and Man United ended up winning with penalty deep into injury time. First and ever time I've walked out of Old Trafford shaking my head in disbelief after a win..

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'll never forget that run of going 11 home matches in a row with the score line 0-0 at half time. In between that run I attended the FA Cup tie at home to League One Sheffield United. an absolute dour affair of a match just 1 shot on target and Man United ended up winning with penalty deep into injury time. First and ever time I've walked out of Old Trafford shaking my head in disbelief after a win..
It was so bad wasn't it. I think I went over 3 months without seeing a goal at my end of the stadium. 1 shot on target vs Sheffield United wasn't just a one off - we were seeing that week in week out. My theory is that the 5-3 loss vs Leicester destroyed him, as it made him realise he couldn't play his brand of attacking football in the Premier League without getting exposed, so he went ultra defensive for most of his remaining tenure.

RVN1991

Yeah LVG being high on peoples list is insane to me.

Lost bear

This exercise makes it starkly clear just what a state UTD have been in since SAF.

I find it impossible to rank the managers, really,. When we’re going for criteria such as entertaining pressers, Jesus we’re reaching.

It demonstrates how badly the club as been run under the Glazers. Our two managers generally voted the best were, like so many of the players we bought, over the hill and living on past glories (Jose and Van Gaal). Meanwhile Moyes and OGS were not really qualified for such a post and always looked lost.

It’s been a long, slow narrative of decline, in which all of them are implicated. I know it’s the hope that kills you, but I’m praying that Ratcliffe and his team will take a surgeon’s blade to the club. Maybe they can reanimate its storied corpse.

Dannn411

1. Solskjaer. Best football we have played in the Post-Fergie era by a country mile in those first 2 and a half seasons. We need to bottle that period up and just replicate.
2. Jose. Only other top 2 finish outside Ole plus Europa League so he gets this spot. Although its not saying much cuz the football was dire under him too and he blamed everyone but himself all the time.
3. Van Gaal. Nearly every watch was depressing. Also featured the most miserable Christmas i've ever had watching United in 15/16. Only reason he's ahead of Ten Hag is because he won a bigger trophy. The FA Cup.
4. Ten Hag. Only been great for 3 months in a 2-year span. Nearly £400m spent and we might be worse than when he joined. Dead man walking.
5. Moyes. No need to say much here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Mourinho - by far our best manager during post Fergie era. Most points won and best GD by some distance. Won 2 cups and finished 2nd in league. 7/10

2. LVG - the only manager who has managed to completely changed/established our unique style of play (even though it’s boring for most). Won FA cup. 5/10

3. Ole - I really think he plays the most exciting brand of attacking football out of these lots. At times looks dangerous even against likes of City. Finished 2nd in the league with least expectation, has his moment when he is on the wheel. 5/10

4. ETH - Won us Mickey cup and finished 3rd in the league after taking over the mess from Ragnick, having spent huge amount of money though. 5/10

5. Moyes - Won us nothing and we finished 7th in the league as defending champion. One could argue he didn’t spend much though. 4/10

sglowrider

1. Solskjaer. Best football we have played in the Post-Fergie era by a country mile in those first 2 and a half seasons. We need to bottle that period up and just replicate.
2. Jose. Only other top 2 finish outside Ole plus Europa League so he gets this spot. Although its not saying much cuz the football was dire under him too and he blamed everyone but himself all the time.
3. Van Gaal. Nearly every watch was depressing. Also featured the most miserable Christmas i've ever had watching United in 15/16. Only reason he's ahead of Ten Hag is because he won a bigger trophy. The FA Cup.
4. Ten Hag. Only been great for 3 months in a 2-year span. Nearly £400m spent and we might be worse than when he joined. Dead man walking.
5. Moyes. No need to say much here.
Exactly my thoughts.

Trequarista10

I think there's a few fair posts on Moyes on this page, highlighting that he was given the least time, he inherited an aging squad, etc.

My issue is that at the time, everybody knew what the squad needed:

- Defence. SAF had been rotating Rio and Vidic for the past year or so. They rarely started together and rarely played twice in a week. Evans had been our best CB the season before, with Smalling and Jones looking promising. Moyes came in and at the start played Rio and Vidic for several games in a row, twice a week, and their performances declined. It showed he didn't know how to manage a squad playing in numerous competitions, and includes some ageing legends.

- Midfield. It was clear we needed a top class CM or two. SAF got by for years by rotating, but when Moyes came in - Scholes had gone, Giggs was 40, Anderson's early promise had faded, Fletcher was ill, Cleverly had been getting heavy criticism. It was a golden opportunity for a new manager to bring in their choice of CM that could determine how he wanted United's midfield to be shaped. And Moyes signed Fellaini. Useful target man but he wasn't a midfielder. A Kroos/Fabregas type signing would have been transformative and made an enormous difference. I appreciate that this isn't just on Moyes but the club structure/planning broadly, but ultimately it was so, incredibly obvious what was needed.

- Attack. SAF was ready to bin Rooney. Imo he could see the physical decline, and he'd have happily let Rooney go and built the attack around RVP, with the energy of the likes of Nani, Hernandez, Welbeck and a new signing or two over the next few years. Moyes just stuck with the Rooney and RVP duo whenever fit. Mata was a quality player but slow and not really what the team needed. Moyes was scared to rotate the big names, so players like Hernandez, Welbeck and Nani found themselves out of form, fitness and confidence. A talent like Zaha was frozen out completely to the point he didn't know if he was training with the first team or the reserves day to day.

- Personality. Unfortunately, regardless of decisions about transfers and team selections, I think Moyes was doomed. He made certain comments to the press and to players in training which revealed he wasn't capable of dealing with big ego superstars, and wasn't capable of fronting a club of this stature.

bringbackbebe

The positive revisionism of Ole since July in the Caf is actually quite extraordinary and well deserved.

With ETH, we are under performing currently and will revert back to mean which is about 66-70 points a season. He's suddenly gone from best since SAF to near worst since SAF in a few months!

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This man takes the crown for being our worst manager:

Records broken so far this season

-Manchester United had never finished with as few as 5 points in the CL group stages in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English club had ever conceded 15 goals in the CL group stages in the competitions history until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 4 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never failed to keep a clean sheet in 5 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 12 of the opening 23 games of the season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't finished bottom of their CL group since 2006. Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Bournemouth had never won at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never scored 3 goals at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 7 of the opening 16 PL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back league games against Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 3 games in a row to Newcastle United since 1922, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't kept 3 clean sheets in a row against Manchester United since 1897, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 6 of the opening 14 games of a PL season, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English team in CL history had ever conceded 14 goals in the first 5 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in 4 different CL games in a season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag, twice since.
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never dropped this many points from a winning position in CL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag - No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won at Old Trafford since 2013, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in back to back CL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't scored in or won an away goal in the CL since 2015, 3 in one game as soon as they meet Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 4 of the opening 7 games in PL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United haven't had as few as 9 points from the opening 7 games since 1989, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 4 goals in a CL group game in 28 years, until Erik Ten Hag.

#FRAUD

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
From a tactical perspective, ETH is the worst we have had. You can compensate for this with man-management or signings. ETH has been the worst at those too.

sglowrider

I think there's a few fair posts on Moyes on this page, highlighting that he was given the least time, he inherited an aging squad, etc.

My issue is that at the time, everybody knew what the squad needed:

- Defence. SAF had been rotating Rio and Vidic for the past year or so. They rarely started together and rarely played twice in a week. Evans had been our best CB the season before, with Smalling and Jones looking promising. Moyes came in and at the start played Rio and Vidic for several games in a row, twice a week, and their performances declined. It showed he didn't know how to manage a squad playing in numerous competitions, and includes some ageing legends.

- Midfield. It was clear we needed a top class CM or two. SAF got by for years by rotating, but when Moyes came in - Scholes had gone, Giggs was 40, Anderson's early promise had faded, Fletcher was ill, Cleverly had been getting heavy criticism. It was a golden opportunity for a new manager to bring in their choice of CM that could determine how he wanted United's midfield to be shaped. And Moyes signed Fellaini. Useful target man but he wasn't a midfielder. A Kroos/Fabregas type signing would have been transformative and made an enormous difference. I appreciate that this isn't just on Moyes but the club structure/planning broadly, but ultimately it was so, incredibly obvious what was needed.

- Attack. SAF was ready to bin Rooney. Imo he could see the physical decline, and he'd have happily let Rooney go and built the attack around RVP, with the energy of the likes of Nani, Hernandez, Welbeck and a new signing or two over the next few years. Moyes just stuck with the Rooney and RVP duo whenever fit. Mata was a quality player but slow and not really what the team needed. Moyes was scared to rotate the big names, so players like Hernandez, Welbeck and Nani found themselves out of form, fitness and confidence. A talent like Zaha was frozen out completely to the point he didn't know if he was training with the first team or the reserves day to day.

- Personality. Unfortunately, regardless of decisions about transfers and team selections, I think Moyes was doomed. He made certain comments to the press and to players in training which revealed he wasn't capable of dealing with big ego superstars, and wasn't capable of fronting a club of this stature.
I think if Jose had been the 1st manager to replace Fergie, he would have gotten a lot more out of the ageing squad than Moyes. That's Jose's superpower.

sglowrider

This man takes the crown for being our worst manager:

Records broken so far this season

-Manchester United had never finished with as few as 5 points in the CL group stages in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English club had ever conceded 15 goals in the CL group stages in the competitions history until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 4 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never failed to keep a clean sheet in 5 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 12 of the opening 23 games of the season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't finished bottom of their CL group since 2006. Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Bournemouth had never won at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never scored 3 goals at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 7 of the opening 16 PL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back league games against Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 3 games in a row to Newcastle United since 1922, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't kept 3 clean sheets in a row against Manchester United since 1897, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 6 of the opening 14 games of a PL season, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English team in CL history had ever conceded 14 goals in the first 5 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in 4 different CL games in a season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag, twice since.
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never dropped this many points from a winning position in CL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag - No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won at Old Trafford since 2013, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in back to back CL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't scored in or won an away goal in the CL since 2015, 3 in one game as soon as they meet Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 4 of the opening 7 games in PL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United haven't had as few as 9 points from the opening 7 games since 1989, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 4 goals in a CL group game in 28 years, until Erik Ten Hag.

#FRAUD
I know right -- the records are all there to see and yet many have rated him the 2nd best manager after Jose. Mindboggling.

I guess he needs to carry on and break even more records before it sinks in for many here.

Maybe ETH's real superpower to give the illusion that we are doing well and playing what many here have called 'modern football.'

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I know right -- the records are all there to see and yet many have rated him the 2nd best manager after Jose. Mindboggling.

I guess he needs to carry on and break even more records before it sinks in for many here.

Maybe ETH's real superpower to give the illusion that we are doing well and playing what many here have called 'modern football.'
Yes. And he has been given huge budget only for him to waste the funds on trash players. Yet it's not time for him to go.

Cloud7

I will be up front that when considering these lists I genuinely don't care about Europa League/FA cup/League cup. PL and CL are where its at for me trophy wise, so if we're not winning those then the others matter very little. With that in mind:

1) Ole. When things started going south they went very south (And I was very vocal about wanting him out earlier than others), and arguably he should not have gotten the full time job in the first place, but of all the post SAF managers, he was the one that we had the most fun performances under, and at times (Martial/Rashford/Greenwood) actually looked potent going forward.

2) Mourinho. Pains me to say it. Objectively he is worth the second place for his second place finish and some decent results. Did the usual Jose shtick of trying to increase the average age of the squad by a decade and falling out with everyone before being sacked, but the bar is pretty low on this list.

3) LVG. It's actually quite close between LVG and ETH, but LVG narrowly edges it because at least he had a plan of what he wanted us to do and you could actually see the plan on the field, which even had some good times here and there. The plan was not at the level we needed, but I give him credit for being our only post SAF manager who was actually able to instill a vision and direction in the team. That being said there were far too many matches where watching the team was painful and there was just impotent possession.

4) ETH. If you told me last season that I would think this this season I would not have believed you. I will admit that last season it was still difficult to see what we were trying to do as a team, but Rashford's form, Casemiro looking like a proper midfielder, Varane looking imperious, they were all individual pieces that were enough to make me satisfied. The 7-0 was a huge black mark, no matter how much people try to pretend that it was not. Moving forward we seem to have incorporated some of the worst bits of all the other regimes. Sketchy transfers (Yes this should not be his responsibility, but the other managers were held to this standard so he should be as well), impotent attack, no visibly clear plan as to how we are trying to play, lack of any sort of control in games, defensive instability. All our managers had periods near the end of their tenure where it felt like every team that we came up against could beat us, and that is how I feel with ETH these days. We look like we could lose to anyone. And just the losses aside, we get smashed by other teams far too often.

5) Moyes. The worst. Arrogant. Not up to it at this level. Should not have ever been given the job.

Von Mistelroum

Mourinho
----- huge gap
Everyone else more-or-less in a big lump of rubbish, with Ole and Moyes right at the bottom.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I will be up front that when considering these lists I genuinely don't care about Europa League/FA cup/League cup. PL and CL are where its at for me trophy wise, so if we're not winning those then the others matter very little. With that in mind:

1) Ole. When things started going south they went very south (And I was very vocal about wanting him out earlier than others), and arguably he should not have gotten the full time job in the first place, but of all the post SAF managers, he was the one that we had the most fun performances under, and at times (Martial/Rashford/Greenwood) actually looked potent going forward.

2) Mourinho. Pains me to say it. Objectively he is worth the second place for his second place finish and some decent results. Did the usual Jose shtick of trying to increase the average age of the squad by a decade and falling out with everyone before being sacked, but the bar is pretty low on this list.

3) LVG. It's actually quite close between LVG and ETH, but LVG narrowly edges it because at least he had a plan of what he wanted us to do and you could actually see the plan on the field, which even had some good times here and there. The plan was not at the level we needed, but I give him credit for being our only post SAF manager who was actually able to instill a vision and direction in the team. That being said there were far too many matches where watching the team was painful and there was just impotent possession.

4) ETH. If you told me last season that I would think this this season I would not have believed you. I will admit that last season it was still difficult to see what we were trying to do as a team, but Rashford's form, Casemiro looking like a proper midfielder, Varane looking imperious, they were all individual pieces that were enough to make me satisfied. The 7-0 was a huge black mark, no matter how much people try to pretend that it was not. Moving forward we seem to have incorporated some of the worst bits of all the other regimes. Sketchy transfers (Yes this should not be his responsibility, but the other managers were held to this standard so he should be as well), impotent attack, no visibly clear plan as to how we are trying to play, lack of any sort of control in games, defensive instability. All our managers had periods near the end of their tenure where it felt like every team that we came up against could beat us, and that is how I feel with ETH these days. We look like we could lose to anyone. And just the losses aside, we get smashed by other teams far too often.

5) Moyes. The worst. Arrogant. Not up to it at this level. Should not have ever been given the job.
agreed with all this.

also, they also all ruined their squad in their own unique way. Moyes had that shambolic summer and in 6 months got Rio, Vidic, and Evra to flee, LvG threw the baby out with the bathwater, Jose spent insane amounts on random stuff and would have done more damage if allowed to fester, Ole decided that the 90s English quota still exists (also, can't ever forgive him for Smalling <-> Maguire), and EtH turned the club into a charity for this worst former colleagues.