Rank our post-SAF managers

AndySmith1990

Mourinho
Van Gaal
Solskjaer
Ten Hag
Moyes

It's a little unfair on Moyes considering he was only given 9 months and was not backed with £450m to spend. We've still got numpties arguing Ten Hag should be given even more time and money despite this cluster feck of a season being far worse than the tenure of Moyes.

Trequarista10

I think if Jose had been the 1st manager to replace Fergie, he would have gotten a lot more out of the ageing squad than Moyes. That's Jose's superpower.
Indeed. He was the obvious choice, and he was clearly begging for it when Madrud cane to OT that season.

We were so spoilt at the time that the thought of "a few good seasons, a title or two and then he'd be off" wasn't good enough. Deary me.

Orange Tree

- Ole, good vibes can only get you so far, but we played some of our best football post SAF under him.
- LVG, entertaining person, boring football.
- Mourinho, we won something, but it was miserable , and yet still better than what we are seeing currently.
- ETH, promising first season followed up by probably the worst run in a very long time.
- Moyes, deer in a headlight.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole
Mou
ETH
LVG
Moyes

ETH can easily go below LVG if he keeps this up though

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
1. Jose - he’s toxic as feck, the football wasn’t always great but he brought in a trophy winning mentality. 3 finals in his tenure is good.

2. Ole - now this might be controversial due to lack of trophies, but the most fun I’ve had watching the team was during Ole’s tenure. A few semi final runs and unlucky loss in the Europa final.

3. LVG - boring as feck football but FA Cup and juanfield rank highly

4. ETH - he’s got all the negatives from the previous managers with the personality of a sponge. Could easily be bottom but has got a trophy

5. Moyes - he massively underestimated the size of the club, he made that clear in pre season and it worried me right away
I agree with this and the points, I just don’t like having mourinho as number 1 as he was shitty towards the club, Ole has been my favourite time as a fan since SAF but saying he was better than mourinho causes meltdowns on here

Dannn411

I think if Jose had been the 1st manager to replace Fergie, he would have gotten a lot more out of the ageing squad than Moyes. That's Jose's superpower.
Agrre with this. He would have extended the life of that team at least another 3 years. Huge error appointing Moyes right after Fergie.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
1. Jose. Respect! Respect!! Respect!!! Not a fan of the guy or his football, but he brought a level of... respect and expectation that is associative of a big club i.e. winning the majority of games; being tough to beat, win or lose; high league finishing positions; trophies and deep runs to latter stages of cups; an aura of progression.

All this until it went tits up and he nuked the place for both fanbase and players. The caf has never recovered from the civil wars that started in the Jose era; the culture of finger pointing, blaming others and generally being a toxic dressing room also occurred because of him.

2. LVG. LVG did a lot of wacky things, including: gutting the squad, promoting some terrible academy players, signing off on poor purchases, overlooking some elite players(!), losing his nerve in terms of offensive actions, but he also instilled a playing style that always gave us a chance and had us go into big games as a very difficult opponent. Like Jose, the pendulum swinging from us being just a few signings away from being a force, or us sliding into boring mediocrity was ever present the further along we went with him.

Both of these top 2 were way past their best when they came here and displayed glimpses of their former glory as well as the compounded interest of their worst aspects they always had but got away with when on top of the world. They both coped under our spotlight initially, but ego and self pride had it that such storied winners were not equipped for criticism or hardship from losing positions. You could tell both men had the power to take us back to the top or tank us, equally.

3. Ole. Was supposed to be the tactical nadir from which all other subsequent coaches would look light years superior to. Played an extremely simplistic and naive brand of football, but at the same time, understood the league, understood the basic tenets of Rock, Paper, Scissors and threw that blanket over how you best upset different schools of thought. Ole legitimately flummoxed Pep for a time in this manner and had us as a bona fide counter-attacking threat against anyone in the league.

The initial winning streak he went on was not new manager vibes, as you do not streak for so long based purely off a new manager bounce, but what Ole lacked was the ability to add nuance or modify anything given he didn't really understand coaching at the level that keeps ever-assimilating wolves at bay. In other words, Ole's hand was shown too many times and got deconstructed over time. The prompt to then change style was his undoing because the prerequisite coaching framework was not in place, thus our play became blind hope and moments of brilliance over any concerted methodology that could be imposed on the opposition and impressed on our players.

Still, Ole took us on some glorious runs of form and optimal output littered with big game wins. He also brought back much needed positivity after Jose's sabotage. Ultimately, he took us as far as he could and maximised output for a period of time. He had an unceremoniously humiliating demise, which some cannot divorce from the two counter-attacking seasons prior. His coaching level was more in line with the end than the beginning, which is where the conflation comes in and belies the league finishes as well as the initial paragraph. If you're being objective, you take the whole and not cherry pick or selectively parse, and overall, Ole had more good than bad runs even if he wasn't good enough for the job ultimately.

4. Moyes. Moyes' biggest crime was being too small for the job; he should never have taken it on if he wasn't of the brazen, firebrand Scottish ilk of so many great managers who came down to England absolutely, unwaveringly determined to make their mark and scorch earth with anyone or anything that got in their way. From: Busby, Shankly, Graham, SAF, Dalglish or even Docherty, never in recorded history would you hear such pathetic quotes trying to downplay expectations and lower that big club energy and momentum.

Moyes was not ready for the United job and had us playing like mid-table grafters. His saving graces are that time was not on his side, so even though he burdened us with his signings and a terrible campaign, his feet weren't under the table for long enough to let the rot set in. By the same token, he wasn't given as much money to waste as others.

5. Ten Hag. I'd liken his credit to having bought a house that was well within budget that you had no problem paying the mortgage on for the first year, then... everything goes tits up as you lose your stable job as well as your savings: it doesn't matter if things were going well a year ago; in the here and now, you're inundated with red letters you have no idea how you're going to pay; all credit lines are exhausted and the bank are threatening repossession. They couldn't care less about your esteemed position and profile of last year as it has no longer the guarantee you can get back on your feet.

Ten Hag is overseeing our worst season of all managers in the post-Ferguson era with a team assembled that has no identity whatsoever and is good for so little that fans can't even universally agree upon what the biggest flaws are. Every other manager had identity and a yardstick to be measured by, for better or worse. Our strengths and weaknesses were clearly defined up until Moyes in 4th, but ten Hag has taken it one further and now we're not good at anything: Scoring, defending, creating chances, controlling midfield, strategically hard to beat, able to overcome odds, the list goes on... and on.

Even if we say identifying and buying talent isn't his job, he has encumbered this club with so many players we won't get anywhere near breaking even on that'll it take years to get rid of unless we buy them out of their contracts or massively subsidise them elsewhere.

It has been with great dismay that I've watched this guy go from the most pleasing appointment of the lot to someone who needs an interjection and for the reins to be taken off him. I've never seen a manager nosedive himself from an overwhelmingly positive position to a polar opposite with no warnings or tells before.

The excuses made for him, no other manager has been afforded, not even Ole, and if Moyes had got as much wrong as ten Hag has, and been so stubborn about it to boot, there would have been a storming of the gates.

As much as there was hope a club legend would succeed, it was ten Hag whose football and modern conceptualisation I most backed and wanted to carry us forward out of any of the guys we got in, but he's decided to abandon everything that got him the job, and he is much worse at the kind of football we now play than the managers above him, and he's outfoxed a magnitude of order more than any of them too.

Last edited:

LawmanMan

I will be up front that when considering these lists I genuinely don't care about Europa League/FA cup/League cup. PL and CL are where its at for me trophy wise, so if we're not winning those then the others matter very little. With that in mind:

1) Ole. When things started going south they went very south (And I was very vocal about wanting him out earlier than others), and arguably he should not have gotten the full time job in the first place, but of all the post SAF managers, he was the one that we had the most fun performances under, and at times (Martial/Rashford/Greenwood) actually looked potent going forward.

2) Mourinho. Pains me to say it. Objectively he is worth the second place for his second place finish and some decent results. Did the usual Jose shtick of trying to increase the average age of the squad by a decade and falling out with everyone before being sacked, but the bar is pretty low on this list.

3) LVG. It's actually quite close between LVG and ETH, but LVG narrowly edges it because at least he had a plan of what he wanted us to do and you could actually see the plan on the field, which even had some good times here and there. The plan was not at the level we needed, but I give him credit for being our only post SAF manager who was actually able to instill a vision and direction in the team. That being said there were far too many matches where watching the team was painful and there was just impotent possession.

4) ETH. If you told me last season that I would think this this season I would not have believed you. I will admit that last season it was still difficult to see what we were trying to do as a team, but Rashford's form, Casemiro looking like a proper midfielder, Varane looking imperious, they were all individual pieces that were enough to make me satisfied. The 7-0 was a huge black mark, no matter how much people try to pretend that it was not. Moving forward we seem to have incorporated some of the worst bits of all the other regimes. Sketchy transfers (Yes this should not be his responsibility, but the other managers were held to this standard so he should be as well), impotent attack, no visibly clear plan as to how we are trying to play, lack of any sort of control in games, defensive instability. All our managers had periods near the end of their tenure where it felt like every team that we came up against could beat us, and that is how I feel with ETH these days. We look like we could lose to anyone. And just the losses aside, we get smashed by other teams far too often.

5) Moyes. The worst. Arrogant. Not up to it at this level. Should not have ever been given the job.
And yet Moyes had our best Champions League campaign in years and has proven to be a very capable manager in European competitions. He’s the worst because you simply cannot accept the truth about the state the club had been allowed to get itself into.

I guess it’s easier than accepting the fact even Alex makes mistakes as he is a human being and not some sort of demigod.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
And yet Moyes had our best Champions League campaign in years and has proven to be a very capable manager in European competitions. He’s the worst because you simply cannot accept the truth about the state the club had been allowed to get itself into.

I guess it’s easier than accepting the fact even Alex makes mistakes as he is a human being and not some sort of demigod.
Moyes is a tough one. No denying he did a terrible job. Vetoing Thiago, signing Fellaini for an inflated fee. Taking the champions to 7th. But he also had the hardest job in many respects, in following Ferguson. He also only got 9 months.

But he also sacked the whole coaching team and brought in his own people, who were mediocre at best. So he had a litany of examples of shooting him self in the foot. He also had a squad, which while needing improvement, was a title winning, experienced squad. Reigning champions. He also has ready made signings lined up, approved by Ferguson himself.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Best CL campaign in years how? United finished runners up 3 years prior. Ole also managed a CL quarter final but honestly the difference between a CL quarter final and 1st knockout round is minimal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's always people in these threads who seemingly forget just how woeful the Moyes reign was, especially the level it dropped from.

A team that cruised the league the season before, finishing 7th! End of story.

OrcaFat

Moyes is a tough one. No denying he did a terrible job. Vetoing Thiago, signing Fellaini for an inflated fee. Taking the champions to 7th. But he also had the hardest job in many respects, in following Ferguson. He also only got 9 months.

But he also sacked the whole coaching team and brought in his own people, who were mediocre at best. So he had a litany of examples of shooting him self in the foot. He also had a squad, which while needing improvement, was a title winning, experienced squad. Reigning champions. He also has ready made signings lined up, approved by Ferguson himself.
Yeah, I think he thought he had several years without having to even think about getting sacked. Most of his worst mistakes happened before September!

lysglimt

Scout
Ole, Jose, LvG, ETH, Moyes - but ETH is about to go past Moyes unless he turns things around. Yes Moyes' team performed much worse, but he never got a chance to spend big and create his team

LawmanMan

Best CL campaign in years how? United finished runners up 3 years prior. Ole also managed a CL quarter final but honestly the difference between a CL quarter final and 1st knockout round is minimal.
Yes - 3 years is “years.” We had been woeful the previous campaign.

PoTMS

Mourinho
----------------
Van Gaal
Solskjær
----------------
Rangnick
Moyes
Ten Hag

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yes - 3 years is “years.” We had been woeful the previous campaign.
And? No team performs the exact same way year after year. Like I said, the difference between a knockout round and quarter finals is neglible. If you look at the results it was 1 win in 4 in the knockouts. Whoopedi doo.

Toca99

For me it's a draw between Mou and Ole.
Only because of feelings.
No manager after SAF have had a bigger Utd heart than Ole. For sure. And. Ole will alwayas be "Ole99" for me...

LawmanMan

And? No team performs the exact same way year after year. Like I said, the difference between a knockout round and quarter finals is neglible. If you look at the results it was 1 win in 4 in the knockouts. Whoopedi doo.
Went out after a pretty close tie with Guardiola's Bayern Munich. Was a big improvement on the season before.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Moyes - One of his most of his most notable achievements for Everton was getting them to finish above Man Utd, by virtue of leaving Everton to manage Man Utd. Signed Mata for a record fee then immediately said that he didn't know what position to try him in. Most consistent and effective tactic was to bring on Hernandes regardless of the score or situation. The first to suffer at the hands of the never ending pit of incompetence that is Ed Woodward.
3/10 - He taught me what it was like to regret watching a football match.

LVG - Best thing about him was the high value off field entertainment. e.g. Mike Smalling, Queens Park Raisins, Strawberries Town, referring to Custis as "you, fat man!", etc. Compensated for this by ensuring no entertainment whatsoever happened on the pitch. Worst thing about him was the army of online football experts who'd used graphs and other shite to point out that he was some kind of tactical genius, even though this was based entirely on him using the word "philosophy" a lot,. This insufferable nonsense continued for his entire tenure in spite of the onfield results and performances consistently proving that it was a load of bollocks.
4/10 - I didn't regret watching because I fell asleep for half of it

Mourinho - Club hired Mourinho and then the club and fans seemed confused when he managed exactly how you would expect Jose Mourinho to. Probably would have won a league during his second season if it didn't coincide with Pep's rise at City. Third season and end of the second season predictably descended into him constantly moaning about people moaning about him. Became increasingly obsessed with picking all of the tallest players.
6/10 - would be a 7 base don expecting the third season meltdown, but his constant moaning really did get irritating

Ole - Actually had a couple of spells where he managed to make United look like a very good side. Unfortunately the spells in between he'd make them look like a very bad one. Inability to recognise when players played well or not. Did things like win a game 5-1 then change his whole attack for the next game, yet would leave the same team on the pitch for 85 minutes if it was getting outplayed at home to West Brom. Had his whole career ruined by the club refusing to sack him for about 6 months after the players had given up on him, echoed by his own refusal to drop Maguire for months and nearly ruining his playing career in the process.
6/10 - I enjoyed large chunks of his tenure, considering he had no pedigree as a manager at all. Just missing a trophy really.

Rangnick - Like if your plumber mate agrees to come have a look at your broken washing machine, then instead of fixing it claims the problem is you need a new washing machine and starts smashing it up with a sledge hammer, and you end up both thinking he is probably correct but also isn't actually a plumber.
2/10 - Probably harsh. Maybe put in an impossible situation. I don't care.

ETH - First season did pretty much everything right. Turned a mess into a competitive side that finished 3rd on merit and won a trophy, and didn't go out of a single competition without coming close to winning it and putting up a massive fight. Second season he has looked to build on this by seemingly going completely insane. Ongoing saga. Rating pending.

Ed Woodward - 0/10 - Honestly think everyone above would have done better if this failed car salesman of a human being was not put in charge of anything.

Revan

Assumptionman
Moyes - One of his most of his most notable achievements for Everton was getting them to finish above Man Utd, by virtue of leaving Everton to manage Man Utd. Signed Mata for a record fee then immediately said that he didn't know what position to try him in. Most consistent and effective tactic was to bring on Hernandes regardless of the score or situation. The first to suffer at the hands of the never ending pit of incompetence that is Ed Woodward.

LVG - Best thing about him was the high value off field entertainment. e.g. Mike Smalling, Queens Park Raisins, Strawberries Town, referring to Custis as "you, fat man!", etc. Compensated for this by ensuring no entertainment whatsoever happened on the pitch. Worst thing about him was the army of online football experts who'd used graphs and other shite to point out that he was some kind of tactical genius, even though this was based entirely on him using the word "philosophy" a lot,. This insufferable nonsense continued for his entire tenure in spite of the onfield results and performances consistently proving that it was a load of bollocks.

Mourinho - Club hired Mourinho and then the club and fans seemed confused when he managed exactly how you would expect Jose Mourinho to. Probably would have won a league during his second season if it didn't coincide with Pep's rise at City. Third season and end of the second season predictably descended into him constantly moaning about people moaning about him. Became increasingly obsessed with picking all of the tallest players.
6/10 - would be a 7 base don expecting the third season meltdown, but his constant moaning really did get irritating

Ole - Actually had a couple of spells where he managed to make United look like a very good side. Unfortunately the spells in between he'd make them look like a very bad one. Inability to recognise when players played well or not. Did things like win a game 5-1 then change his whole attack for the next game, yet would leave the same team on the pitch for 85 minutes if it was getting outplayed at home to West Brom. Had his whole career ruined by the club refusing to sack him for about 6 months after the players had given up on him, echoed by his own refusal to drop Maguire for months and nearly ruining his playing career in the process.
6/10 - I enjoyed large chunks of his tenure, considering he had no pedigree as a manager at all. Just missing a trophy really.

Rangnick - Like if your plumber mate agrees to come have a look at your broken washing machine, then instead of fixing it claims the problem is you need a new washing machine and starts smashing it up with a sledge hammer, and you end up both thinking he is probably correct but also isn't actually a plumber.

ETH - First season did pretty much everything right. Turned a mess into a competitive side that finished 3rd on merit and won a trophy, and didn't go out of a single competition without coming close to winning it and putting up a massive fight. Second season he has looked to build on this by seemingly going completely insane. Ongoing saga. Rating pending.

Ed Woodward - 0/10 - Honestly think everyone above would have done better if this failed car salesman of a human being was not put in charge of anything.
:lol::lol::lol:

Redstain

Jose
LVG
Ole / ETH
Moyes
Ragnick

The reason I've got LVG as high as he is due to his imprint of a philosophy which wasn't without faults but has been the most successive period where a team has a very clear identity and intention around playing with measurable success. Unfortunately the club didn't follow up with his sacking by employing someone with a similar idealism to build on the back of what he tried to establish so there was a loss of trajectory from him to Jose.

I think the success of individuals in modern management is predicated on the vision and it being transferable to the team. United's next manager should be solely appointed on the view of a philosophy that hopefully comes from the new DOF.

frostbite

:lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

:lol: Just the tonic!

LDUred

Maybe it is sentiment talking as someone who loved him as a player but I would say Ole was our best manager Post-Fergie, even with all the disappointment in semi-finals and against Villarreal, a match which Ole got totally outsmarted in.

We were top of the league however briefly, we beat our rivals and were genuinely competitive, and we had some big wins where we totally dominated teams. Who can forget smashing Leeds 6-2 and thrashing Southampton 9-0? It was the United most reminiscent of the glory days under SAF.

The Manchester derbies were great.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Loved LVG, he shouldn't have been sacked, was the only manager post Sir Alex that had a long term plan.
Some of the football was ponderous at times, but we went into near enough every game with a cohesive game plan, a style and an identity, something we severely lack right now.

Jose and Ole were both decent managers, certainly worth Jose though you always felt the wheels would come off at some stage.

always_hoping

Nailed it

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Jose
LVG
Ole / ETH
Moyes
Ragnick

The reason I've got LVG as high as he is due to his imprint of a philosophy which wasn't without faults but has been the most successive period where a team has a very clear identity and intention around playing with measurable success. Unfortunately the club didn't follow up with his sacking by employing someone with a similar idealism to build on the back of what he tried to establish so there was a loss of trajectory from him to Jose.

I think the success of individuals in modern management is predicated on the vision and it being transferable to the team. United's next manager should be solely appointed on the view of a philosophy that hopefully comes from the new DOF.
I still don't buy this. But even if he did implement a philosophy it was shite and resulted in the most boring football I've seen at United.

I think the best period we had under LvG was at the end of the 14/15 season when we were pushing for top four and we resulted to the Ashley Young pumping balls into the box for Fellaini tactic.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe it is sentiment talking as someone who loved him as a player but I would say Ole was our best manager Post-Fergie, even with all the disappointment in semi-finals and against Villarreal, a match which Ole got totally outsmarted in.

We were top of the league however briefly, we beat our rivals and were genuinely competitive, and we had some big wins where we totally dominated teams. Who can forget smashing Leeds 6-2 and thrashing Southampton 9-0? It was the United most reminiscent of the glory days under SAF.

I think even without sentiment you can argue he's been the best. Problem is its best of a bad bunch...or best of a bunch managing a badly run club.

If he'd won one of the two Europa Leagues I think it wouldn't be much of a debate, but his problem was he could never seem to adapt or figure out when things weren't working

Crashoutcassius

If we won that shootout I think it would be clear to people, as it is he didn't win anything and it is easy to beat oles team with that. They were quite exciting 60-70pc of his tenure though.

PSV

Really funny how some seriously rank eth below moyes.
Amount of trophies: 1 meaningless trophy (that we have historically scoffed at) each.
CL Progress: QF for Moyes after cruising through group, crashed out in last place under ETH.
One of them barely spent any money and the other one has left us in and with shit for long beyond his tenure.

--

In terms of our goals scored to goals conceded ratio we have: Mourinho 2,016 - Solskjær 1,958 - van Gaal 1,612 - Moyes 1,592 - ten Hag 1,359 - Ralf 1,000

That's probably the best way to measure how well we are playing overall, as it values both the defense and the attack.

Some outtakes:

ten Hag 1st season isolated: 1,667
Solskjær before final season: 2,169
Mourinho before final season: 2,400

AshRK

Amount of trophies: 1 meaningless trophy (that we have historically scoffed at) each.
CL Progress: QF for Moyes after cruising through group, crashed out in last place under ETH.
One of them barely spent any money and the other one has left us in and with shit for long beyond his tenure.

--

In terms of our goals scored to goals conceded ratio we have: Mourinho 2,016 - Solskjær 1,958 - van Gaal 1,612 - Moyes 1,592 - ten Hag 1,359 - Ralf 1,000

That's probably the best way to measure how well we are playing overall, as it values both the defense and the attack.

Some outtakes:

ten Hag 1st season isolated: 1,667
Solskjær before final season: 2,169
Mourinho before final season: 2,400
One took a team that won the title with 89 points and were one of the top European clubs abd made them finish 7th, yes not 3rd or 4th, 7th with 64 points.

The other took over a side that finished 6th with 58 points and made them finish 3rd with 75 points with a league cup and fa cup finals and europa qf.

Yeah but moyes did better than eth.

PSV

One took a team that won the title with 89 points and were one of the top European clubs abd made them finish 7th, yes not 3rd or 4th, 7th with 64 points.

The other took over a side that finished 6th with 58 points and made them finish 3rd with 75 points with a league cup and fa cup finals and europa qf.

Yeah but moyes did better than eth.
Yeah, it's unfortunate for Erik that he's been manager this season too. If not I'd probably rank him highest of the two.