Rank the PL managers

neilv93

Not sure what Arteta has done to justify being 'elite' but sure... I wouldn't personally have Nuno in 'elite', he's a bit too defensive. Dyche should absolutely be in 'criminally underrated' given the job he's done on a stretch Burnley budget. For me:

World class: Pep, Klopp
Elite: Carlo, Jose, Rodgers, Bielsa
Potential greatness: Hasenhuttl, Lampard, Potter, Arteta, Nuno
Criminally underrated: Dyche, Wilder
Middle of the road: Moyes, Bruce, Smith, Woy
Sacked soon: Ole, Bilic, Parker

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not sure what Arteta has done to justify being 'elite' but sure... I wouldn't personally have Nuno in 'elite', he's a bit too defensive. Dyche should absolutely be in 'criminally underrated' given the job he's done on a stretch Burnley budget. For me:

I second this one. It’s mad to put Arteta as elite after one FA Cup and just decent league form. I also think Rodgers deserves it after turning things round at Leicester. It has shown there really is more about him.

Moyes is the very definition of middle of the road. Putting him above Dyche in 2020 is madness after their last 5 years.

I have to say one thing though, “sacked soon” isn’t really a tier or a suggestion of quality. Nearly all the managers on the list have been sacked at some stage.

AshRK

Another thread where we can overrate rival managers and bash Ole. Good.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So last year Leicester had a massive lead on 17 other teams to finish in 3rd yet they sh*t the bed and finished in 5th while Manchester United finished in 3rd yet Rodgers is part of "the elite" and OGS is in the bottom tier? What is the point of this thread than to be yet another OGS bashing thread???

Giggsy13

Arteta should be classified under potential greatness. He’s done well so far but the bread and butter is the league and he hasn’t shown yet that he can keep arsenal competitive thru an entire season. Right now he’s a great cup manager.

Giggsy13

So last year Leicester had a massive lead on 17 other teams to finish in 3rd yet they sh*t the bed and finished in 5th while Manchester United finished in 3rd yet Rodgers is part of "the elite" and OGS is in the bottom tier? What is the point of this thread than to be yet another OGS bashing thread???
OGS is not an elite manager and never will be. The sooner the club realizes that the better.

Leonzo1

So this is basically the premier league table with some Ole bashing added. Great.clearly a lot of thought was put into this.

Cloud7

Didn't we have one of these recently? I don't like the labels attached to this, as a fair few of these managers don't fit into the listed categories.

Agree with pep and Klopp as world class.

Elite for me would be Rodgers, Ancelloti, Bielsa, Nuno.

The only people there that classify as potential greats are the BHA guy and the Southampton manager.

Dyche falls into the underrated category for me. Woy just about squeezes in.

Middle of the road would be Moyes, Arteta, Bruce, and the other managers that don't fit any other category.

For the worst of the bunch, I agree on Ole being there. Lampard belongs here as well, he's genuinely not showing much more than Ole and I would be surprised if he's Chelsea manager next season.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Dunno what the hell Lampard has done to be rated higher than Ole, maybe by virtue of having not already been a PL failure before? He hasn't exactly looked great.

Haven't really seen anything special from Arteta either.

I don't think Ole is good enough for Utd but right down the bottom is harsh, he's shown on numerous occasions he's a better manager than was previously given credit for.

Chairman Steve

Arteta elite hahaha. Was that concocted minutes after the end of Utd v Arsenal by some gooner?

tomaldinho1

Elite tierPep, Klopp
Exceeding expectationsHasenhuttl, Bielsa, Rodgers, Nuno, Arteta
Par for the courseHogdson, Jose, Ancelotti, Lampard, Moyes, Potter
UnderperformingOle, Bilic, Bruce, Wilder, Dyche, Smith
Out of their depthParker

I think that's fair. You have to factor in spending and team quality - the real fringe ones are Arteta and Nuno for me, they're both just about above the middle group but there's not much in it. If either get top four they'll be in with a shout for manager of the year unless someone unexpected wins the league. Same goes for Hasenhuttl/Bielsa if they can scrape into Europa or just top 8 it'll be a minor miracle for the squads they have. Lampard's also v close to being in the underperforming category but without Kepa they genuinely are a different team now.

Toad

Arteta in Elite? What has he done to be in there rather than Potential?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
OGS is not an elite manager and never will be. The sooner the club realizes that the better.
Anywhere in my post did I say that he was? What I questioned was how someone like Rodgers can be considered better than Ole when Ole is the one who finished 3rd last year. Can you imagine the meltdown if we were in 3rd place all season only to finish the season in 5th like Leicester did last year???

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea

I'd go with this list as well. I think there are a few levels missing in between though. Maybe just ‘Potential’ instead of ‘Potential Greatness’ will make more sense for Lampard, Arteta, Hussenhuttl and Potter.
“Sack soon” shouldn't even be a seriously considered level. Its just a piss take on Ole and United. I'd pit Ole in the “middle of the road” category. He had a long term as a pro manager with very little to show for it. I font get people's constant comparison with the likes of Lampard and Arteta really. Ole at this stage of his career should be compared with his peers in Pep, Klopp, Allegri etc.

Cloud7

Anywhere in my post did I say that he was? What I questioned was how someone like Rodgers can be considered better than Ole when Ole is the one who finished 3rd last year. Can you imagine the meltdown if we were in 3rd place all season only to finish the season in 5th like Leicester did last year???
A) We have a better squad than Leicester, and spent significantly more money than them.

B) Rodgers teams play a more entertaining brand of football than United

C) It literally went down to the last day. It's not like we were some great distance ahead of them. Had we not beaten them on the last day they would have finished in the top 4 ahead of us.

D) Rodgers has actually mounted a title challenge in the past with a team no one would have called the best team in the league, playing some scintillating football.

Rodgers is a better manager than Ole by any metric you look at.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Do you think Ole is a better manager than Rodgers?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Why is Guardiola world class? Because once he had a fantastic season (benefiting from a packed squad)?
Being world class is of course subjective and may not depend on actual success but I think he is actually underachieving, both in the PL and especially in the CL (being eliminated by weaker teams is the norm).
That's why I wouldn't consider him world class atm, if past is important then Mourinho is also world class (and Ancelotti in cup competitions).

Paul_Scholes18

Arteta is not that great yet. I rate him, but he plays boring football and the results are far from amazing. With some less luck things could be different.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
If you ask me 'sacked soon' can be an overlappig circle with any of the other categories.. Also world class managers of managers with top potential can be sacked at one point at their carreer.

Frank Rijkaard was relegated and sacked with Sparta Rotterdam before having huge success at Barcelona...

Son

You realise we far better players than Leicester right and a deeper squad? Comparing Ole to Rodgers makes zero sense. Ole hasn’t proved much apart from the odd result and he’s been here 2 years nearly. Nothing about bashing him it’s just facts.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I'd personally go for something like this

World Class: Pep,Klopp,Ancelotti, Mourinho
Elite Level : Bielsa, Rodgers, Nuno
Potential : Arteta, Lampard, Hussenhuttl, Potter
Underperforming : Ole, Moyes, Dyche
Par For The Course : Roy, Bilic, Wilder,Bruce
Too Early To Call : Parker, Smith

Son

Why is Guardiola world class? Because once he had a fantastic season (benefiting from a packed squad)?
Being world class is of course subjective and may not depend on actual success but I think he is actually underachieving, both in the PL and especially in the CL (being eliminated by weaker teams is the norm).
That's why I wouldn't consider him world class atm, if past is important then Mourinho is also world class (and Ancelotti in cup competitions).
Pep is one of the greatest in the history of football haha. Isn’t his win percentage like 70 percent usually per season and despite some of his failures recently in the champions league when he gets knocked out the game is usually a classic truth be told.

Frank White

Tbf the bottom tier doesn't seem indicative of the managers skill but seems to be more of a prediction tier based off current form which is hard to argue with. If they did the list pre Arsenal and just post Leipzig no doubt Ole would be higher, they had him "potential to be special last year" apparently.

Giggsy13

I'd personally go for something like this

World Class: Pep,Klopp,Ancelotti, Mourinho
Elite Level : Bielsa, Rodgers, Nuno
Potential : Arteta, Lampard, Hussenhuttl, Potter
Underperforming : Ole, Moyes, Dyche
Par For The Course : Roy, Bilic, Wilder,Bruce
Too Early To Call : Parker, Smith
This is a sound list but for Lampard who you could argue is underperforming with the insane level of investment by your rents this summer.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Which one season are you talking about? 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019? Just had to clarify, since there were a handful of them.

nuanced

:lol:
Thanks, I enjoyed these ones the most:

Elite - Arteta
Potential Greatness - Lampard, Bielsa
Criminally Underrated - Brucie, Brexit Smith
Soon Sacked - Ole

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Which one season are you talking about? 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019? Just had to clarify, since there were a handful of them.
When he won the PL with record of points.
If we go before Man City then Mourinho and Ancelotti are also definitively world class with the amazing seasons they had.

nuanced

When he won the PL with record of points.
If we go before Man City then Mourinho and Ancelotti are also definitively world class with the amazing seasons they had.
Jose - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2015. Guardiola's record seems to be similar to Jose, despite Jose starting his career 8 years before him. So why isn't Baldy world class again?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Jose - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2015. Guardiola's record seems to be similar to Jose, despite Jose starting his career 8 years before him. So why isn't Baldy world class again?
If you notice I said atm, not career wise, because in that case you would also need to put Mourinho and Ancelotti on the top with Guardiola and Klopp.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Another one of these based on whatever last weekend's results were.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
World Class: Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Carlo Ancelotti and Jose Mourinho