View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Stadjer

I think he needs replacing but if he’d stay for the same wage Maguire is on (180k?), it would make more sense to move Harry on IMO.

Maguire has some transfer value, is older and can’t play a high line.

Varane has still got transfer value in 12 months in the Saudi market etc. He’s only 31.
Dont forget that Varane is a better defender too.

Problem is that Varane does pick up a lot of injuries. Maguire used to be indestructable and while he isnt indestructable anymore, he is still more dependable (his fitness that is) than Varane.

Might just keep Lindelof and sign a very good partner for Licha and sell/let go Varane and Maguire. Saves a lot in wages.

G-manc

Maguires about 6 weeks older, is way more reliable to stay fit and will probably refuse to leave as he's on a good contract and believes he'll get game time. Would happily have both of them move on give more game time to big Willy, plus buying 2 replacements. Time to move on those who have not helped to progress the team, but it won't be easy. No Champions league should help it, as they all about to get a pay decrease for failing to qualify.
[/QUOTE
Varane has been our most available CB this season hasn’t he?

My thinking is we don’t have a lot of money to play with - Maguire knows he’ll be 4th choice at best if we get at least 1 CB in as expected. If we can get say £30m from West Ham, that would be a good chunk of say Todibo’s release clause..

Letting Varane walk away on a free and keeping Maguire makes no sense to me unless he refuses to renegotiate on reduced wages.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying he’s a long term solution, but we clearly don’t have the finances to do all our business in one window.

I would 100% keep Varane for 12 more months on 150-180k.