View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Stadjer

I think he needs replacing but if he’d stay for the same wage Maguire is on (180k?), it would make more sense to move Harry on IMO.

Maguire has some transfer value, is older and can’t play a high line.

Varane has still got transfer value in 12 months in the Saudi market etc. He’s only 31.
Dont forget that Varane is a better defender too.

Problem is that Varane does pick up a lot of injuries. Maguire used to be indestructable and while he isnt indestructable anymore, he is still more dependable (his fitness that is) than Varane.

Might just keep Lindelof and sign a very good partner for Licha and sell/let go Varane and Maguire. Saves a lot in wages.

G-manc

Maguires about 6 weeks older, is way more reliable to stay fit and will probably refuse to leave as he's on a good contract and believes he'll get game time. Would happily have both of them move on give more game time to big Willy, plus buying 2 replacements. Time to move on those who have not helped to progress the team, but it won't be easy. No Champions league should help it, as they all about to get a pay decrease for failing to qualify.
[/QUOTE
Varane has been our most available CB this season hasn’t he?

My thinking is we don’t have a lot of money to play with - Maguire knows he’ll be 4th choice at best if we get at least 1 CB in as expected. If we can get say £30m from West Ham, that would be a good chunk of say Todibo’s release clause..

Letting Varane walk away on a free and keeping Maguire makes no sense to me unless he refuses to renegotiate on reduced wages.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying he’s a long term solution, but we clearly don’t have the finances to do all our business in one window.

I would 100% keep Varane for 12 more months on 150-180k.

Irwin99

Was hoping he might be back in training? :( I'm kind of hoping he might have one last big game in him with the cup final before he probably leaves the club.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was hoping he might be back in training? :( I'm kind of hoping he might have one last big game in him with the cup final before he probably leaves the club.
I hope him and Casemiro have the games of their lives in the final

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It’s sad that he’s basically always injured. When he was fit and firing he made us better, but that didn’t happen enough.

It’s the right decision for all.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It hurts but considering his wages and injury record, it's the sensible call - Shame we didn't activate a year and sell him to Saudi so we get something back.

Lentwood

Stupid decision, rubbish signing.

He'll have cost us about £95,000,000 in fees and wages, he'll leave on a free and we're arguably worse than we were when he joined.

This, folks, is why you don't sign players in their late 20s

fps

It’s all been rather pointless signing him Ronaldo and Casemiro. Eye watering money paying for madrids next generation of domination. We really are stupid
Absolutely. And Madrid go out and sign the next gen of world beaters.

big_jeffstar

Whatever, I’m just hopeful that this finally marks the end of us signing players using us for a last big payday

Sylar

More proof on how great Madrid are at letting people go and replacing them. Wont get everything right but more often than not.
meanwhile more proof of how short sighted our signings have been.
We need to stay away from signing people from Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, Chelsea.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

He'll have cost us about £95,000,000 in fees and wages, he'll leave on a free and we're arguably worse than we were when he joined.

That's silly because that's when they are in their peak years. Besides, does that mean we don't buy someone aged 25-29? Or is it 27--29? Since he's a centreback he's supposed to peak a bit later than other positions anyway, and we could not have predicted he'd have fallen off a cliff not only fitness wise but performance wise too.

Guapa

Thanks for your services but hopefully this is us moving in the right direction going forward,no more of these types of signings.The next big thing not the last please.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Disagree, you just have a knack of always signing the wrong ones.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It’s all been rather pointless signing him Ronaldo and Casemiro. Eye watering money paying for madrids next generation of domination. We really are stupid
Varane was only 25m, and Ronaldo was from Juve. Yes, on Casemiro.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Whatever, I’m just hopeful that this finally marks the end of us signing players using us for a last big payday
SJR seems to resent wasting money…. We will see if he eventually finds the sweet spot or just pisses everybody off even more.

Varane was only 25m, and Ronaldo was from Juve. Yes, on Casemiro.
32 rising to 42 and 250k per week basic, more than he ever got in his prime at Madrid. Just bananas. It displays a complete lack of direction or ideas or intelligence.

Bwuk

When he did those interviews a few weeks back talking about not wanting to head the ball, I knew he was done.

Retirement I think.

Cabin Clown

Gonna be sad to see him gone. Such a classy defender and wildly underrated with people who aren't United fans. Hope he retires now.

Footyislife

2nd highest paid player. Can't consistently stay on the pitch, can't move normally, and has been performing average. You generate £10M a year replacing him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
32 rising to 42 and 250k per week basic, more than he ever got in his prime at Madrid. Just bananas. It displays a complete lack of direction or ideas or intelligence.
For a 29 y.o. world class CB, that's a reasonable price. Clubs were interested on Maguire last summer for 30m, when he was 30 y.o. and in lower level than Varane.

It's the medical negligent of Varane's injury level that fecked us up.

OldTrevil

Aurevoir Champions League Varane! Unfortunately the one unit you couldn't stop is United's world class medical department.

Red Royal

A legend for Madrid and tried hard here...last year he was solid but in and out due to injuries and like so many others injuries this year were insane.
We may as well rush him back into the next few games, would rather a half fit Varane at CB then current Casemiro, and if he breaks down no real loss to us.

Lentwood

That's silly because that's when they are in their peak years. Besides, does that mean we don't buy someone aged 25-29? Or is it 27--29? Since he's a centreback he's supposed to peak a bit later than other positions anyway, and we could not have predicted he'd have fallen off a cliff not only fitness wise but performance wise too.
Its not silly, if you watch the many different docuseries available now on various sports teams, clubs will openly talk about having policies of not buying players who are over 25...nevermind late 20s!

Obviously there are always the exceptions that prove the rule, but in the main, if we never signed a player older than 27 again I'd be absolutely chuffed with that

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The most good looking United player I've seen in PL era. Beckham comes close, but he's more on the "pretty" side.