View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Roboc7

Be a huge mistake to renew his contract, should be sold whilst he still has value and someone will pay all his wages. On his day, fully fit he’s still top class but that doesn’t happen very often.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Be a huge mistake to renew his contract, should be sold whilst he still has value and someone will pay all his wages. On his day, fully fit he’s still top class but that doesn’t happen very often.
There is talk of renewing his contract? Really?

El Zoido

He was quality last season, head’s definitely gone at this point. He clearly doesn’t fancy it.

Ekeke

Come on now... Varane isnt a poor CB. There are issues with having him as a player but poor quality isnt one of those issues.
Rough on the ball and backs off too much. He didnt do that for one game against Liverpool and was our best player, but 99% of games for us hes exactly like he was against Forest. Another Lindelof but worse on the ball

Sylar

I want to say he should be sold in January but we've put ourselves in a position where we probably have to wait until summer.

The hope is we get Martinez back soon next to him. Think they've complimented each other well last season.

Adamsk7

None of our defence has been good this season. I still think Varane is a quality player and probably our best CB overall. When Martinez is back I’d like to see the revival of the Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw Back four that played well for us last year.

For those saying sell him, I’d only think that would be wise if we have someone like Todibo lined up

slored1

Not too fussed about extending him, actually I'd let both him and Casemiro go and sign a cheaper reliable option. Enough of these ridiculously overpaid megastars who don't raise our floor enough to be warranted the salary.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rough on the ball and backs off too much. He didnt do that for one game against Liverpool and was our best player, but 99% of games for us hes exactly like he was against Forest. Another Lindelof but worse on the ball
While I do think a lot of people overrate his performances for us, I'd say you're going too far the other way. He was good for most of last season, and he started this season well too. Then his performances dropped off before we had the strange period where he was barely playing, and since coming back he's had some good and some bad matches.

Your description of him is largely accurate for his first season though.

RedRocket9908

Not extending makes sence, we need to drastically reduce the ridiculously high wage bill and cant justify 340k per week for him for another year.

Hopefully we can get a fee for him during the January window.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely we're not stupid enough to give him a new contract. Get rid.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Get rid, insane wages, never fit can’t rely on him to be available like having a part time player.
Off to Saudi he goes.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
For his sake he should go. He's won everything there is to win, doesn't need to waste his time at a waste club like ours

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How are we actually just going to lose him on a free? Another example of horrible management to get to this point where his contract is out in 6 months instead of selling him in the summer when Saudi was throwing money at everyone. Better to take what we can get in January IMO.

Skills

Snitch
How are we actually just going to lose him on a free? Another example of horrible management to get to this point where his contract is out in 6 months instead of selling him in the summer when Saudi was throwing money at everyone. Better to take what we can get in January IMO.
We aren't? I'm pretty sure he's on a 3+1 year contract?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We aren't? I'm pretty sure he's on a 3+1 year contract?
The briefing just came out above that we aren't extending his contract, meaning he is free to leave in the summer and can start talking to teams tomorrow.

Banana Republic

Varane is the first to go.
There's going to be a clear out of the highest paid players, in an attempt to get the wage bill under control.
In fairness, Varane is an obvious target to be first, with his appalling injury record.

Paul778

Well it's clear now why he hasn't been playing for all those weeks earlier in the season. There was a standoff going on with the club to see if they could reduce his wages which always goes down like a lead balloon.

Guessing the same happened with Casemiro as well which would go a long way to explain his lack of motivation this season.

Blood Mage

He probably should go but not replacing him would be madness. We should get Tobido in asap.

Neilwij

When he initially signed for us I thought he was on 240 grand a week not 340 are those numbers actually true? I think we should get rid of him by the way, get him off the wage bill. Only thing is if we get rid of him in January I can't see us being capable of getting a replacement in.

chocolate cloud

He should be embarrassed being injured so much and stealing a wage. He won't go down as one of the best defenders in history.

Mindhunter

He is done at this level. I don't think he will hit those highs again. I would still keep him as he is very experienced but we can't depend on him day in day out.

There are so many of these examples really. Why are we so short-term in our thinking? We buy when the top clubs across Europe sell. Sometimes I feel that we do this to satisfy our ego that we can still attract top players. The reality is that no top player in their prime will want to come here if they have offers from RM, Barca, Man City etc.

We need to tear up our transfer strategy and start afresh. We need to identify players who want to play here to improve themselves and the club. If we are buying stars then they need to have some level of connection with the club else all you get are players on their last legs who want to make big bucks without having to go to a godforsaken place.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we are going to keep a CB from the current lot, surely it should be him over Lindelof. I get his wages are insanely stupid, but surely there's no comparison in terms of quality between him and Lindelof.

Paul778

If we are going to keep a CB from the current lot, surely it should be him over Lindelof. I get his wages are insanely stupid, but surely there's no comparison in terms of quality between him and Lindelof.
We get rid of him and get Todibo