Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsy13

I’ll be honest, I thought this one was a dead cert all summer but I’m beginning to think that it might be that transfer saga of the summer where our interest is not as concrete as it might seem and every journalist is reporting on it because of the fan following it has.

I don’t think it’s exactly a Ramos “red flag” scenario where the club is being strung along but I do think it’s possible that it’s more of a Sneijder/Thiago scenario where our interest might be real but our actions so far are heavily overstated.
I’m disgusted by this post.

Fooza

How did we get them to agree to 40? Last reports I saw earlier in the week had them sticking to a price closer to 80....
Well they now know for certain he isn't signing a contract, so it's either money or none.

RUCK4444

£38 mill would be an incredible deal. :eek:

Way less than I expected this would be agreed at regardless of him only having one year left.

Judas

Open to offers
That seems like too good a deal to be true to be honest, but fair fecks if its right. We'll get it over the line, but I think it'll be a little bit closer to £45m. Don't care, just happy the moon is full.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
38m poinds sounds about right. Considering we are said to value Pogba at 50m.

pacifictheme

I do think we will see a big trend towards players running down contracts, or signing shorter ones and moving for free because signing on bonuses can be huge then. Could be what kills the boom in player prices and will ultimately hurt smaller teams a lot more than big ones.

RUCK4444

I do think we will see a big trend towards players running down contracts, or signing shorter ones and moving for free because signing on bonuses can be huge then. Could be what kills the boom in player prices and will ultimately hurt smaller teams a lot more than big ones.
Yeah was thinking the bolded in particular.

All the more importance for clubs like us to have an attractive project and have the ability to pay top wages. Not great for small clubs though I agree.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As an example of what this looks like just take a look at the NBA. LeBron popularized the practice of taking short/one year contracts to maximize his salary and flexibility. The result has been unprecedented player movement in the NBA.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
What a back 4 we're about to have.

It surely doesn't need both Fred and McTominay scrambling round trying to protect it.

Would love us to push on for a midfielder this summer. Then we're in business.

DevTheRed

Interesting way of looking at it! I do think with COVID and teams trying to recover financially from the last 18 months I think running down contracts and player swaps will become a more regular thing.

Hopefully more so with huge transfers from big teams like Mbappe, Pogba and Varane rather than smaller teams with their own home grown talents so small clubs don’t lose out too much!

It definitely needed to happen because transfer fee’s pre COVID were getting way out of control!

Idxomer

38m is very normal for a defender in the last year of his contract who has no intention of renewing.

edcunited1878

As an example of what this looks like just take a look at the NBA. LeBron popularized the practice of taking short/one year contracts to maximize his salary and flexibility. The result has been unprecedented player movement in the NBA.
I think the biggest difference is American pro sports contracts and European Club football is that the contracts are completely transparent, in addition to so many options and bonus to be creative to circumvent salary caps, especially NFL, NBA, and NHL.

Free agency in American sports is very common because each league has a PA/union and they are very influential.

RedDevilRoshi

£38M is an absolute bargain and does sound a little too good to be true but I can’t argue if that is the price, then fair play whoever negotiated that.

Let’s get this wrapped up soon, I hope! :drool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think @Pexbo is right, this isn’t happening, it’s just like the times Ramos used us to get a new contract.
I’m kinda over it though. We need a defender who can deal with counter attacks and is quick enough to track back. Having two old and slow defenders in Maguire and Varane would expose us badly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
€45m is a great fee. That’s why you negotiate and don’t sit there saying ‘ffs just pay the extra 10m!’

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m kinda over it though. We need a defender who can deal with counter attacks and is quick enough to track back. Having two old and slow defenders in Maguire and Varane would expose us badly.
It will especially hurt to be paying Varane £1m per week.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Isn't Bouhafsi very reliable on French footballing matters? When he says something it's almost always true

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Exactly. No journalists sits on news especially in the days of twitter where every second counts to get the scoop first.
He is probably going to check in with his sources. That's how it works.

DWelbz19

Hang on mate, need to read more tweets from reliable french sources which I will then re-word slightly and claim as my own information.
Personal terms are not an issue! Varane has always wanted Manchester in direct contact, and the clubs are currently in negotiations! Talks on. #MUFC #RFC

DWelbz19

Also these South American’s never settle here either.
Him and Maguire would have a combined age of 56 at the back. In Spain or France you could get away with that, no way in the PL.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

£38M is an outrageous bit of business for effectively one for the best defenders in the world.

I cannot figure out any negative to this deal. Genuinely doesn't feel real

Status
Not open for further replies.