Rashford and Martial are a problem

mattsville

Am I the only one that thinks Rashford has been poor this season? More often than not he gives the ball away and kills a perfectly good move. He was in danger of costing us the game today with his sloppiness. Martial just as bad
That is not new to this season, he is a sporadic instinctive type, frustrates the feck out of you and then does something great, the hope is he learns and irons out a better level of decision making eventually... Martial for me as been historically lethargic, on a positive note there are signs that he is starting to add a part to his game with his back to goal, on show today again.

Toad

They are both quality players, for me though the decision making isn’t fantastic. Put Rashford in Bruno’s shoes at the end of the game where he laid it off to Cavani. Rashford would have shot there at any point in the game when the better pass is there to be played. Martial just needs a good run of games I think. Time will tell.

Cavani is here now so we are not completely reliant on them. Cavani will bring a good deal of consistency/experience so they can learn from him.

crossy1686

career ending
The issue with these two is we're asking them to play with their backs to goal and hold the ball up so we can get Bruno in the game once they receive the ball. It's no coincidence that they score and generally look good when we play the ball into space behind the CB's and they can run onto it.

In all honesty we need Cavani to get fit and sharp ASAP, or find a CF that can do that job.

Lyng

I want my players to be able to score goals even when they are out of form. That’s the difference between rashford and martial
Look at this seasons matches with and without Martial. And look at Rashfords scoring with and without Martial. That tells the whole story. Martial creates so much space for his partner and is a threat. Rashford is useless when he doesn't get served.

wolvored

I dont think we will be winning the big trophies relying on Martial as our CF. Hes way too inconsitant and keeps veering to the left all the while. I would like Cavani to get a run of games there see what he can do. Martial and Rashford are both RF so to say they cant play from the right as professional footballers is ridiculous as some have said on other threads. Surely better than Mata.

tjb

Look at this seasons matches with and without Martial. And look at Rashfords scoring with and without Martial. That tells the whole story. Martial creates so much space for his partner and is a threat. Rashford is useless when he doesn't get served.
That's a very poor sample, we played Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle without Martial. We then scored 4 without him.

Lyng

That's a very poor sample, we played Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle without Martial. We then scored 4 without him.
In one match against one of the worst teams in the league. Meanwhile 0 Vs Chelsea and Arsenal. And against Leipzig and PsG we scored several more. And today we score three goals.
Martial is very important for our attack. It's pretty obvious if you look at how much space he creates, and his passing.

K Stand Knut

Both are massively over-rated.

mainly by United fans.

Sensational on their day but so is the sun in Manchester. Unfortunately, both are rare. In the case of Martial and Rashford, them performing well Together is even more rare

I’ll give them a half benefit of the doubt and say that it would help if we started getting the ball to them when they were facing the right way and not towards De Gea.

Maureen-yo

All strikers are useless if they don't get service. If they don't get service, they can't score.

el3mel

For me Rashford is just more important long term. I think he's our second most important player in attack after Bruno.

Martial isn't really my cup of tea as a striker but he's still a good player. Main difference between him and Rashford for me though is Rashford seems to be produce several times when he has a crap game, while Martial doesn't seem to be able to do the same on his poor days.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Why are they so inconsistent? Coaching, leadership or just never going to be quite up to it? Seems weird that two talented strikers of a similar age are both suffering.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wtf did I just read :lol:

Hammondo

I want my players to be able to score goals even when they are out of form. That’s the difference between rashford and martial
I want them to be able to pass and not be a liability.

tjb

In one match against one of the worst teams in the league. Meanwhile 0 Vs Chelsea and Arsenal. And against Leipzig and PsG we scored several more. And today we score three goals.
Martial is very important for our attack. It's pretty obvious if you look at how much space he creates, and his passing.
Martial contributed nothing in the spurs game or the other first 2 games he played. Acting like he would have made a difference in the big games is simply farcical and baseless.

Judas

Open to offers
Might get some stick for this but Martial sometimes reminds me of the type of player you'd see playing for a club the level of Newcastle. We'd watch him have those great games brilliant moments, some would say he'd look even better with more quality around him, but plenty would come to the conclusion he looks far too inconsistent to play for a top club. Maybe a bit harsh, but he's such an extremely frustrating talent.

bleedred

Agree with pogue, they have been here for what 6 seasons? and they are as inconsistent as when they started out.

Do you think we will ever get 20-25 league goals from them in a season?. I don't think so.

As someone above said, they are really efficient making runs behind the space and when teams defend deep and there is very little space behind, martial becomes essentially useless.

windco

Seems like our previous finished dinosaur manager knows what he was doing when he made them fight for a position , who could have guess ?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Might get some stick for this but Martial sometimes reminds me of the type of player you'd see playing for a club the level of Newcastle. We'd watch him have those great games brilliant moments, some would say he'd look even better with more quality around him, but plenty would come to the conclusion he looks far too inconsistent to play for a top club. Maybe a bit harsh, but he's such an extremely frustrating talent.
I assume you're referring to the likes of Saint-maximin, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Robert - you could be right. If he remains at this level, you'll be vindicated, but he had one of his best seasons last season. I think it's a tad early to assume this is his ceiling.

Withnail

Were two of the most consistent forwards in the league last season
Well exactly.

It's been a weird start to the season and even not playing well Rashford's contributed close to a goal or assist per game.

Martial's started slower and while neither had a good game today I'd be surprised if they're both not close to 20 league goals by the end of the season.

Adamsk7

I don’t see why we don’t start Martial on the left and Rashford on the right. Martial is better at cutting in and curling a shot in the far post and Rashford is better at shooting across goal and has a good cross. Personally if Rashford can play on the left, he can play on the right just as effectively. I’d use Cavani or Greenwood as the central strikers because IMO they are the stone cold finishers in our squad.

Asger

Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.
This is why I say we are far away from big teams!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I do think we need a ‘guaranteed’ goal scorer to win the league. I don’t think Martial or Rashford is that. We MUST get Haaland.
I do think the 2 lads are improving under Ole though, Martials all round game is much better, hold up play and pressing. I think he might ultimately end up like a Mark Hughes player who doesn’t score more than 20 but overall game is crucial to the build up

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I assume you're referring to the likes of Saint-maximin, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Robert - you could be right. If he remains at this level, you'll be vindicated, but he had one of his best seasons last season. I think it's a tad early to assume this is his ceiling.
I think he is better than Gabriel Jesus, Lacazette, Abaraham, Origi, Firmino etc. So I dont see why he cant even be a squad player for us - not really seeing this Newcastle type player in him.

If we need a more predatory striker to play more centrally dominant football then so be it but I dont see players like Rashford and Martial as a problem at all.

I never heard Martial complain about dreaming about playing for another club or having competition for the role so I find the hate that he gets a bit weird, especially when people try to talk about his fans club aswell? Like why?

We had 4 forwards in our best period and I can see why Ole had targeted Haaland to accomplish that. If that happened what I like about it is how we would have had 4 strikers that would have playing in 4 different ways and methods that would have tactically benefited us.

I think the game has moved on from the period where we can have 4 forwards all play like Yorke, Ole, Sheringham and Cole. Not having a single one like that right now except an ageing Cavani isnt the fault of Martial is it? Having Haaland, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood would have been one of the most versatile and flexible striker forces we have. Let's get another striker but why chuck Martial & Rashford under a bus like so many fans seem to be doing. A striker able to play on the left, a striker able to play on the right, a striker able to play deep and a striker able to play clinically around the box.

JohnnyKills

That's a bit insulting how easily you say Henry-level. So you think Rashford has the capacity from his outlook now to be the premier league's greatest player?
Absolutely. He's ridiculously talented. Do you not?

::sonny::

Agreed their inconstancy is what bring us far from the top

They play well around the 20/30% of the games

oz insomniac

First game I have watched fully for a few weeks. Rashford is athletic and quick, but has relatively poor ball control and doesnt appear to be a true finisher, missed so many chances even last night.
Not sure exactly what Martial offers as a 9, is not physical and tends to give up when tackled allowing the opposition to bring the ball up with little challenge.
A frustrating game to watch, with Fred and Bruno dominating midfield and providing decent service and then seeing both players up front continually lose the ball and waste chances.
Just felt that someone like Cavani as 9, and DVDB in the role behind him with Bruno would be more than adequate.
Sometimes, after a win you can see an opportunity for improvement when after a loss it’s point fingers at everyone.

Plymouth Red

Both these guys have had plenty of pitch time but I don’t see their skills, performance and football brains developing at the same rate as their playing minutes.
If anything, Rashford is going backwards because he keeps making the same poor judgement calls which everyone can see.
Martial has never struck me as being in love with the club. In many ways, he reminds me of Pogba.
If one or both of them left, I don’t think the hole they would leave would be tough to fill with a more effective player.

arthurka

Rashford isn't a problem but Martial is not good enough. Or absolutely not reliable enough.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
They are. They're both strikers and don't have any chemistry between them. If we played 2up and stuck with it then I am sure they could generate some but both have dips in the fundamentals that can make them a god combination. Rashford's creativity isn't great because he's a striker and Martials linkup/hold up play is that of somebody who has done a crash course. I think it is genuinely bizarre when people start talking about Martial and having world class hold up play after showing it for a couple of months.

If you played Rashford up front for a full season with wide players and Bruno behind then I think you'd get a better return from him than Martial. Both are on a monster bag and both need to play. I think it is 70 their fit in the team and the situation, 30 their form and their actual ability when applying it to the team and a game.