Rashford, our most exciting youth product since Ryan Giggs?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I didn't know a great deal about Rashford prior to his emergence this year, I have to admit, but that speaks volumes about his potential in itself wouldn't you agree? To progress from your average run-of-the-mill youth team player to England International inside a year is nothing short of exceptional. Where he goes from here is entirely down to him, but I genuinely believe he has what it takes to succeed at United.
You might be right, but some players like for example Harrop were jumped up from the u-18's early, I think the only reason Rashford went straight from the u-18's into the first team was the fact both Wilson and Fletcher were out on loan and Keane injured.
Anyway we'll see, his rise this season has been nothing short of staggering.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
He's had an extraordinary entry to the first team. Fearless. Looks a natural. No nerves. Technically good.

However whilst I'm super excited and love getting giddy over a youth prospect who looks the real deal, we have seen it time and time again that half a season just isn't enough.

Januzaj being a recent example of what can happen to players who start brilliantly.

I always say you know what a player is truly made of only after they go through their first barren run or bad spell. How he tackes that, how he fights through it and how productive he remains even when not on form and when things aren't going well is what really defines you.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Adnan burst to the scene was far better than Rashford and he performed very well throughout the whole season. Even the hypes were far higher than Rashford's and he is clearly more talented(technically even more so). But Rashford could fair better after his initial burst compared to Adnan, we'll have to wait and see.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I suppose Pogba has to be at the top of the post-Giggsy-academy-product-list at the moment given that he's on the verge of being the most expensive player of all time!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Naturally and predictably Rashford is being over hyped and overrated on these boards(and by the English media). And this sudden revisionism about young Adnan is down right absurd. When the kid burst onto the scene people were actually comparing him to Ronaldo and the majority were fairly convinced that he'd end up a world class player and at the very top.

Of course he was overrated by the Cafe residents(like most youngster at United who manages to do anything decent) but compared to Rashford he showed greater and higher level of technical skills and sheer talents. No way in hell were Adnan's hypes on these very same boards lesser than Rashford(who actually has the backing of the British media to hype him up some more).

RedCurry

Adnan burst to the scene was far better than Rashford and he performed very well throughout the whole season. Even the hypes were far higher than Rashford's and he is clearly more talented(technically even more so). But Rashford could fair better after his initial burst compared to Adnan, we'll have to wait and see.
Naturally and predictably Rashford is being over hyped and overrated on these boards(and by the English media). And this sudden revisionism about young Adnan is down right absurd. When the kid burst onto the scene people were actually comparing him to Ronaldo and the majority were fairly convinced that he'd end up a world class player and at the very top.

Of course he was overrated by the Cafe residents(like most youngster at United who manages to do anything decent) but compared to Rashford he showed greater and higher level of technical skills and sheer talents. No way in hell were Adnan's hypes on these very same boards lesser than Rashford(who actually has the backing of the British media to hype him up some more).
Here's the attention you were seeking.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
I'd say O'Shea has been the one to impress me the most as a youngster playing for the first team. Otherwise, Ravel Morrison was the biggest talent I've seen play for us at youth level. He just oozed so much class and was always a level above everybody else on the pitch, and this was with a team that included Pogba.
This...
Let's not forget how we were raving about Januzaj two years ago. I'm excited by Rashford but it hasn't yet gotten to the point where I feel absolutely convinced he'll go on to become a star, or even a regular, for us, like I am with Martial for instance.
and this.

Handré1990

Personally, I think it's more than a little weird how anyone can say that Januzaj has shown more than Rashford thus far. No way for me. Januzaj wasn't, like I see more and more people claim, a cosistent performer over the course of the "season that shall not be named". That's completely wrong, and I'm willing to claim that without even bringing up stats and stuff to please the posters of a more pedantic persuasion. Someone remind me the great teams young Adnan has been good against?

Fact is, Rashford has shown so much more! Arsenal, City, West Ham and so on. He didn't score a couple of braces and then slack off for a number of games, oh no! He went on to improve his alround game, showing delicious technical details during tough and important games, creating chances and raising hell for the oppos. Like I've said in a previous post (newbs I think), I get the measured approach, but c'mon! I can't remember many teenagers taking the next level with such ease. (Rooney, Owen, Ronaldo - still much less productive mind! and Messi as the obvious examples)

How it's possible to be anything other and positive and hopeful for Rashfords future is really beyond me. Is he going to make it at the top? Heck if I know, you never really. But thus far, he has only given me reason to be hopeful and I'm genuinely looking forward to more Rashford shows on OT!

Get a grip you negative Nancys! :nono:

Reactions: Rood

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
I encourage you all to remember the OP has the keyword ''exciting'', that involves a few different aspects; actual ability, rise to fame( meaning in which manner he became popular), and potential shown.

No youth player has done what Rashford has done to date to be fair to him. A brace on debut in europe, And against arsenal in his PL debut, followed by very convincing performances, by what i can recall he hasn't had a bad game, correct me if i'm wrong. His international call up to a major tournament, against experienced squad members' omissions, plus his debut goal.. again.
The closest competition he faces for this 'most exciting youth' award has to go to Januzaj/Ravel.

Ravel, thanks to his attitude, never got a chance to show his ability for us due to his behavior, but still had the a lot of intrest and excitement around his development; I recall youtube clips of his skills, Gif's and alot of U21 streamed matches.

Januzaj, on the other hand, did not attract the same amount of interest before his breakthrough to the first team, don't get me wrong, of course some kept an eye on, but alike youth players like Macheda, the fandom came after having such a successful breakthrough, much like Rashford.

Rashfords meteoric rise to our first team has been proven thus far, and as he's a striker, a position we haven't had much success with birthing through our academy to first 11. In terms of ability, potential, and hype post-debut, I don't think it's wrong to say he's our most exciting youth since Giggs. I'd be inclined to agree, but with Major note to Adnan and Ravel.

Reactions: Rood

Beej

Has to be Ravel Morrison and Januzaj.
Neither of those players has had the impact Rashford has. In Morrison's case, he made no impact, because he doesn't have the requisite mentality to be a top class footballer.

RooneyLegend

Neither of those players has had the impact Rashford has. In Morrison's case, he made no impact, because he doesn't have the requisite mentality to be a top class footballer.
I found Januzaj's performances in the Moyes season more impressive than what I've seen from Rashford, as for Ravel, we haven't seen that level of genius come from our academy in eons.

luke511

I found Januzaj's performances in the Moyes season more impressive than what I've seen from Rashford, as for Ravel, we haven't seen that level of genius come from our academy in eons.
I think Rashford beats Januzaj and Morrison.

Beej

Ravel was good for his age, a special talent even, but Giggs and Rashford inserted themselves as key players in the first team; Ravel won an FA Youth Cup. It's like night and day.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Beckham:drool:. Rashford:drool:. Beckham + Rashford:drool::drool:

My favourite ever praising and motivating my current favourite is lovely to see.

Bwuk

I'd love to see us play him uptop with Martial next season in a 442. Won't happen though.

De Gea
Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
Mkhitaryan - Schneiderlin - Pogba - Martial
Zlatan - Rashford​

RooneyLegend

Ravel was good for his age, a special talent even, but Giggs and Rashford inserted themselves as key players in the first team; Ravel won an FA Youth Cup. It's like night and day.
It really isn't. Talents like Ravel don't appear every 2 years. He might not have done anything in our first team but my god what he did in youth football is more exciting than anything rashford has done in the seniors. Rashford looks like he could be a pretty good player but Ravel had the looks of a legend in the making.

Ephrem

The three players I always thought will make at United .

Ravel : Was a definite. But we gave too many chances and he messes up every time. I still remember his goal against spurs . He was really a superstar.

Petrucci and Will Keane : Injuries done this guys career . Hard luck

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Januzaj, on the other hand, did not attract the same amount of interest before his breakthrough to the first team, don't get me wrong, of course some kept an eye on, but alike youth players like Macheda, the fandom came after having such a successful breakthrough, much like Rashford.
He was very hyped up since his transfer - I think it was the consensus that we signed one of the most exiting talents in Europe from Anderlecht, he was always supposed to be the next big thing. Morrison was even more famous due to him being a homegrown and being in the club system for years, but still.

Rashford came almost from nowhere.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It really isn't. Talents like Ravel don't appear every 2 years. He might not have done anything in our first team but my god what he did in youth football is more exciting than anything rashford has done in the seniors. Rashford looks like he could be a pretty good player but Ravel had the looks of a legend in the making.
Morrison is irrelevant, he's a loser. Who cares what he did in youth football. Rashford has shown he has the temperament for top flight football. It's night and day.

Jonno

Rashford... What a season!

What I see from Rashford is different from what I saw from Adnan. I saw temporary great form from him, but I did always have my doubts over whether he would be a top player. Decision making is one of the biggest factors there. He seemed to make some great decisions followed by some terrible ones. The form vanished and he deteriorated.

What I see from Rashford is a tremendous finisher, with great decision making. He knows when to backheel the ball into a channel and split defences open, something we'll spend 90min struggling to do ... And he'll know when to run at defenders, when to take them on, he's great off the ball, he gets into great striker positions. He just oozes class. I think he's the real deal.

I always had my doubts with Adnan, with Wilson, even Macheda we all saw that he had a good moment and that was it.

krazyrobus

Can he just perform for a full season or 2 before we start all these labels. Janujaz was the previous golden boy, the next giggs and barely 2 seasons after that nothing has changed he's still a prospect. Same with DW, scored a brilliant goal on debut and now is warming a bench at arsenal.

RooneyLegend

Morrison is irrelevant, he's a loser. Who cares what he did in youth football. Rashford has shown he has the temperament for top flight football. It's night and day.
Aren't we talking about who's the most exciting youth product since Giggs? If so, then its Ravel. The others(Pogba, Januzaj, Mats Moller and Rashford come after. A handful of first team appearances by Rashford doesn't change that.

Nicklas

Aren't we talking about who's the most exciting youth product since Giggs? If so, then its Ravel. The others(Pogba, Januzaj, Mats Moller and Rashford come after. A handful of first team appearances by Rashford doesn't change that.
It's about the youth players who has burst onto the scene, and therefor Morrison is kinda irrelevant. I agree with you though that he's been the most exciting youth player (at youth level) since Giggs/Scholes.

Is he still at Lazio, any rumours surrounding him?

ravelston

There are (at least) three prerequisites to making the transition from "youth player" to the first team: talent, dedication/drive/desire and "football IQ". A player can be successful without huge talent if he has an abundance of the other two - Darren Fletcher, for example. Morrison, Janujaz and Maceda are clear demonstrations that huge talent is not enough. They were all big fishes in the small pool of youth football but are(were) lacking in the other two components. The Caf tends to get overly excited about pure talent at the junior levels - time and again we've seen that talent isn't enough, but we love to hope. Rashford has bags of talent and there's no doubting his football IQ. If he has the 3 d's at the same level he will be a fabulous player. Giggs was a different type of player at a different time, but I believe Rashford can have a similar impact.

In Rainbows

I was more excited about Adnan. To me, Adnan doing well (inconsistent, but well for his age) was expected. He had the skill and intelligence.

Rashford was more of a surprise. He was a good player at u18 level, but I didn't think if he were to suddenly play for the first team, he would do well.

A shame that Adnan turned out the way he did, but if he doesn't revert his playstyle to more of a passer than that of a dribbler, he won't realize his potential. Actually, Adnan's dribbling reminds me of Rashford's first team level play. It was a surprise. He didn't dribble past players often at youth level, but all of a sudden was succeeding at doing just that against bigger and faster players compared to kids. So in the same way I wondered if that dribbling success would continue (it hasn't) , I wonder if Rashford can keep up his level of scoring.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
If he keeps scoring important and creating moments of football upfront, he certainly is.

I really think he deserves to play more than he does.

I want to see him and Mkhitaryan more involved. The ones that need to make place are Rooney and Mata, not Ibra or Martial.

In Rainbows

If he keeps scoring important and creating moments of football upfront, he certainly is.

I really think he deserves to play more than he does.

I want to see him and Mkhitaryan more involved. The ones that need to make place are Rooney and Mata, not Ibra or Martial.
Guess it depends on your criteria. Do you consider talent and how they performed for the youth team? Or is it just the actual performances at first team level? Because if it's the latter then Rashford is up there, but then so is Pogba I guess.