Rashford out partying at nightclub hours before reporting as too ill to attend training

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Had a pint to prove and proved it. Just needs to stay focussed now and mature a bit more. I like that he tracked back more against wolves. Scored a decent funny

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That was his best game in about a year. As other posters have said above there have been issues with Rashford behind the scenes. There’s usually a lot more to things than we see on the weekend. Hopefully he’s moved past it because his stock couldn’t really have been any lower. He’s a good player for 15/20 goals a season and doesn’t have to be the hardest worker in the team but he also shouldn’t ever be switched off and walking around moping either. It sets a shocking tone for the rest of the team/club.

Dan_F

Had a pint to prove and proved it. Just needs to stay focussed now and mature a bit more. I like that he tracked back more against wolves. Scored a decent funny
Heh. I can’t see him drinking pints. Spirits or champagne I reckon.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He had more than a few pints. :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol:

Anyway, the realist in me says keep him motivated and playing out of his skin until the end of the season and shift to the highest bidder (PSG?) when his stock is at an all time high. Reason being, he has history of being extremely temperamental and inconsistent, veering between world class and sunday league (hyperbole!).

The romantic in me obviously hopes this ignited Rashfords hunger, desire and love of the game/sport….and he kicks on to become world class consistently for us (but yeah, we make decisions on “data”, don’t we?). Anyhow, great game last night

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Anyway, the realist in me says keep him motivated and playing out of his skin until the end of the season and shift to the highest bidder (PSG?) when his stock is at an all time high. Reason being, he has history of being extremely temperamental and inconsistent, veering between world class and sunday league (hyperbole!).

The romantic in me obviously hopes this ignited Rashfords hunger, desire and love of the game/sport….and he kicks on to become world class consistently for us (but yeah, we make decisions on “data”, don’t we?). Anyhow, great game last night
Who do we replace him with Ish? Doubt many would mind if there was a certain upgrade at a good price, but I can't think of one maybe you guys can?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Who do we replace him with Ish? Doubt many would mind if there was a certain upgrade at a good price, but I can't think of one maybe you guys can?
We might not need to replace him directly, our desire to play a certain way doesn't fit the profile of a Rashford type player, Garnacho can play there, not sure if Amad could or not, Mount has played there in the past and given his energy, pressing ability and technical skill might be the best option we have currently

afrocentricity

We might not need to replace him directly, our desire to play a certain way doesn't fit the profile of a Rashford type player, Garnacho can play there, not sure if Amad could or not, Mount has played there in the past and given his energy, pressing ability and technical skill might be the best option we have currently
That's not very compelling..... at all...

OleGunnar20

That was a very good performance. Worked harder than I've seen in a long time and a great finish. Hopefully he turns it around now but id still like to see us open to a decent bid in the summer. I think he'll always be very inconsistent.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He made mistake, punished, didn't make a scene and took it well. So water under the bridge, and he just need to continue performing well.

ryansgirl

Good point - Marcus may, notice I say may, be the type of talented player who never develops into the player that people think he is because of inconsistency and getting distracted by whatever is going on behind the scenes. However, he grew up at United, has had a lot of experiences along the way including the bad ones of United`s decline and good ones like playing for England, being in the public sight because of his commendable charity involvement etc.
It`s really difficult to replace experience and homegrown experience at that. And how many times have we thought since the end of the Ferguson era that this player or that player was going to be just what we needed, especially the English ones, only to be given a reality check in the case of Luke, Harry, Sancho etc. These kind of signings have under-achieved when they haven`t been a destabilising force.
I`m glad Luke had a good game against Wolves and am delighted that Marcus came back to score that vital first goal but the Wolves result is a step in the right direction, not indicative of some regeneration. I see now that we need to sit back and watch how Marcus continues to respond and let`s hope he does it in the way we all need him to do.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah agreed it’ll be difficult to replace Rashford (the close to world class version of him anyway). I’m not advocating to sell, I’d actually prefer he kicks on from here but if history is anything to go by….

In a dream land scenario, we get Vini when Madrid sign Mbappe but that seems like a pipe dream, albeit stranger things have happened. I guess we could aim for the likes of Mitoma or Kvaradona (I can’t spell his actual name!) who are both a different profile and style to Rashfords directness. It would also mean shifting Garnacho back to the left then we would need a RW, possibly like Neto (injury concerns though) or Bowen perhaps. But alas, this is above my pay grade afro :lol:

afrocentricity

Good point - Marcus may, notice I say may, be the type of talented player who never develops into the player that people think he is because of inconsistency and getting distracted by whatever is going on behind the scenes. However, he grew up at United, has had a lot of experiences along the way including the bad ones of United`s decline and good ones like playing for England, being in the public sight because of his commendable charity involvement etc.
It`s really difficult to replace experience and homegrown experience at that. And how many times have we thought since the end of the Ferguson era that this player or that player was going to be just what we needed, especially the English ones, only to be given a reality check in the case of Luke, Harry, Sancho etc. These kind of signings have under-achieved when they haven`t been a destabilising force.
I`m glad Luke had a good game against Wolves and am delighted that Marcus came back to score that vital first goal but the Wolves result is a step in the right direction, not indicative of some regeneration. I see now that we need to sit back and watch how Marcus continues to respond and let`s hope he does it in the way we all need him to do.
Good post!
Yeah agreed it’ll be difficult to replace Rashford (the close to world class version of him anyway). I’m not advocating to sell, I’d actually prefer he kicks on from here but if history is anything to go by….

In a dream land scenario, we get Vini when Madrid sign Mbappe but that seems like a pipe dream, albeit stranger things have happened. I guess we could aim for the likes of Mitoma or Kvaradona (I can’t spell his actual name!) who are both a different profile and style to Rashfords directness. It would also mean shifting Garnacho back to the left then we would need a RW, possibly like Neto (injury concerns though) or Bowen perhaps. But alas, this is above my pay grade afro :lol:

Mainoonited99

In an ideal world, Kvaratskhelia? Would cost about £80 million to get him out of Napoli, but with amortization and what we'd get for Rashford, we'd be in a much better position.

Son

That was his best game in about a year. As other posters have said above there have been issues with Rashford behind the scenes. There’s usually a lot more to things than we see on the weekend. Hopefully he’s moved past it because his stock couldn’t really have been any lower. He’s a good player for 15/20 goals a season and doesn’t have to be the hardest worker in the team but he also shouldn’t ever be switched off and walking around moping either. It sets a shocking tone for the rest of the team/club.
This is why we must sell really while he’s still decently young to get a high fee from PSG.

He’ll have the odd great game because he’s a good player… but not 350k a week quality.

The club cash in while we can get serous profit on the guy. Nothing is ever certain but what we do know is Rashford isn’t the answer longterm or even now.

afrocentricity

In an ideal world, Kvaratskhelia? Would cost about £80 million to get him out of Napoli, but with amortization and what we'd get for Rashford, we'd be in a much better position.
Give us a scout report and justify your price

stevoc

No, it's not unreasonable but... he didn't really contradict the clubs statement.

He himself said it was illness prior to all the details dropping.

All the club statement said was he's ill, Ten Haag said he was ill, he was ill, the problem was it was probably being hungover as opposed to the cold or something acceptable and everyone knew it.

The press are vulutures, they are never going to be fully sated, I think he gave a fairly even handed amount of information, as a update to the statement, in light of a greater amount of detail becoming public knowledge as you could under the circumstances. They are still talking about it now, even though we've repeatedly said it's done. If there had been zero updated statements, they'd be in a frenzy by now.
He did though in my opinion. Because a player being ill isn't an internal matter than the manager needs to deal with.

That's my point.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But for a longer period of time, not just 2-3 games
Of course. As long as it's not criminal act, all those things players do outside the field are just noise and their private live to me. Drinking once a while, shagging oldies, shit interviews, etc.

What players do on the field are what I'm looking forward to. If player can't perform, then sell him.

gaffs

So he's the same as about 95% of the rest of the country who enjoy their wage more than their job?

Anyway, we should sell, both for our benefit and also his, maybe a change of scenery would be good for him too if that's how he feels.
You dont need to love your job at Tesco to stack shelves.
To be a top footballer, you need to love the job, or else performance will drop.

gaffs

This isn't a "wum" but it's gotta kinda suck for him having grown up at the club while Sir Alex was winning everything with the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo & Scholes but in his playing time it's been (I'll be diplomatic here) not as good.

I know there's an obvious retort to this (that he wouldn't get in the first xi under Sir Alex) but it simply has to be a big downer.
One could argue he would be a much better player under SAF.

BTG

He can't tune out the outside world, he got in trouble and has a chip on his shoulder now.
There's been times where his personal life obviously affected his form because he can't escape in to football for a few hours.

Pogba, Lingard, and Martial are the same way.

I get it football is their job where for most of us football is our escape, but I look at the best in any generation of any sport and they can tune out whatever is surrounding them to keep performing.

ryansgirl

He can't tune out the outside world, he got in trouble and has a chip on his shoulder now.
There's been times where his personal life obviously affected his form because he can't escape in to football for a few hours.

Pogba, Lingard, and Martial are the same way.

I get it football is their job where for most of us football is our escape, but I look at the best in any generation of any sport and they can tune out whatever is surrounding them to keep performing.
Valid points but would Marcus be different if he had been surrounded by players like the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholesy and Nicky Butt who usually all pulled together and encouraged each other - probably.
Gary Nev had a rep for being mouthy and involving himself in all kinds of business but that kind of player is a great influence on other players and he would have been able to say things to Marcus that he needed to hear.
And look at how Beckham led by example, always working tirelessly on the pitch and doing his signature free kicks despite the nastiness of opposition fans even before that World Cup debacle or when the team fell behind.
Likewise Jesse would have benefited from those kinds of players around him. The anti-Jesse United supporters are in the majority here obviously but I never felt Jesse let us down on the pitch. He had a great work ethic and was a much better player than most give him credit for when he was at United.

ScarleyUtd

I think he looks done, despite him playing a little better recently. He has all the skills, we know that, but to me he doesn't have any fire.

There was an instance where Bruno was taking a corner yesterday and they discussed playing a short one. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen Rashford just stayed standing there, contributing nothing. Why didn't he get in or nearer to the box if it's not going to be a short corner, instead of just standing around chilling out? It's only a small instance, but it says something bigger to me. Where's the hunger?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Valid points but would Marcus be different if he had been surrounded by players like the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholesy and Nicky Butt who usually all pulled together and encouraged each other - probably.
Gary Nev had a rep for being mouthy and involving himself in all kinds of business but that kind of player is a great influence on other players and he would have been able to say things to Marcus that he needed to hear.
And look at how Beckham led by example, always working tirelessly on the pitch and doing his signature free kicks despite the nastiness of opposition fans even before that World Cup debacle or when the team fell behind.
Likewise Jesse would have benefited from those kinds of players around him. The anti-Jesse United supporters are in the majority here obviously but I never felt Jesse let us down on the pitch. He had a great work ethic and was a much better player than most give him credit for when he was at United.
Interesting. Most players will have some form of disciplinary issues in their career.

Post 2000 ish, Beckham was criticised by United fans for a period of time. "He'd have gone for that if he was playing for England" was a common comment in K Stand. There was also the issue before the Leeds game in 2000 when Fergie dropped him.

Giggs was booed off for a perceived lack of effort in 2003.

Scholes once refused to play a League Cup match.

Ultimately, players make mistakes. The difference was that even 20 years ago, and without social media, most of these issues became old news very quickly and we also had the benefit of essentially a whole squad of players who would step up if a player missed a game.

Now we have people (even our own fans!) making these stories drag out even when the manager says it has been dealt with.

Rashford and a few others would have probably thrived in the great United sides. They'd have had the benefit of playing as one star in a team of stars and would have also been helped by the siege mentality that Fergie tended to develop when the media wanted to chuck a few curve balls at us.

massey

You can see the hunger in the other front two something I just don't see in rashford anymore if we got a good price for him and replaced him with someone consistant again and who works harder on the pitch it would be worth it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'd take around 60-70m for him then we can try to bring in Mbappe or Kakarot.

DanH

Rashford and a few others would have probably thrived in the great United sides. They'd have had the benefit of playing as one star in a team of stars and would have also been helped by the siege mentality that Fergie tended to develop when the media wanted to chuck a few curve balls at us.
The problem for us is we aren't one of the great United sides so he may not be the right fit for us now. We have too many players where their 'floor' level of performance is hideously low and Rashford does fit into that category. He may not be alone in that but he is maybe alone in the amount of money he could bring in, and the sheer impact that selling him as a homegrown talent would have on our ffp position. That's what the manager and board will need to wrestle with this summer.

m1tch

One could argue he would be a much better player under SAF.
I find it hard to imagine him getting many chances or surviving in a SAF squad. He wouldn't have had the advantage of consistently being picked regardless of form.

TheRedDevil2019

Looks to me like he's lost his love of the game. Enjoys the wealth and fame but has lost the desire to earn it.

Shows little emotion these days, doesn't work hard enough for it and has made a dreadful contribution to the side when we really needed him to step up.

Standards need to be much higher, he has to be sold imo.

Build the side around Mainoo, Garnacho and Hoijlund.

Marcus

IF this unprofessional incident and backlash from fans has sharpened his mind that his footballing future (not just at United) is at stake AND he puts in renewed high level efforts, we should give him a chance to make amends. But if it's same old same old, then he is done here. This is not the same as the Sancho and Greenwood situations.

Vidooq

He wont change and this wont be a wake up call, even though, I'd love to be proven wrong. Similar to Lingard, he truly believes that what he does off the pitch, does not affect his performances on the pitch.

ryansgirl

I don`t think Jesse`s forays into the J Lingz brand, laughing at rival fans behaving like a mob of morons in targeting the United team bus, hanging out at events in the public eye with Marcus etc actually affected his performances on the pitch. Same for unwisely sharing his idiot mate`s pillow humping activity on social media when they were in Miami, holidaying and enjoying the company of legal age females. His attitude on the pitch seemed to me to be good, he worked hard and was the kind of player who would slot in on the pitch as directed by the menager.

His performances in an increasingly unstable Manchester United team over the course of the management merry-go-round that arrived post-Ferguson were actually better than a number of the`name players` that let the team down not only by lack of performance and no will to improve but with a publicly aired toxic attitude to the media and on social media. Luke Shaw was among that group. for example. Marcus has been disappointing in the way he has tended to not stand up and be counted when the going gets tough but he has not been like those players, either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don`t think Jesse`s forays into the J Lingz brand, laughing at rival fans behaving like a mob of morons in targeting the United team bus, hanging out at events in the public eye with Marcus etc actually affected his performances on the pitch. Same for unwisely sharing his idiot mate`s pillow humping activity on social media when they were in Miami, holidaying and enjoying the company of legal age females. His attitude on the pitch seemed to me to be good, he worked hard and was the kind of player who would slot in on the pitch as directed by the menager.

His performances in an increasingly unstable Manchester United team over the course of the management merry-go-round that arrived post-Ferguson were actually better than a number of the`name players` that let the team down not only by lack of performance and no will to improve but with a publicly aired toxic attitude to the media and on social media. Luke Shaw was among that group. for example. Marcus has been disappointing in the way he has tended to not stand up and be counted when the going gets tough but he has not been like those players, either.
Yeah, good point about Lingard. He seemed to take football (and life in general) less seriously than both Pogba and Rashford but he always put a huge shift in on the pitch. If Rashford had consistently matched his friends work rate and effort then he’d have had a better career than he had done up until this point.

I actually think Rashford’s defensive efforts have kicked up a notch since Belfastgate but - just like the last time this happened, after he was benched for being late to a meeting - you wonder why he doesn’t work that hard every game he plays?

sugar_kane

I love how United have leaked that Rashford admitted he'd lost some of his love of the game in his sit down with Ten Hag.

If that's the case, why the feck did you offer him a 5 year contract on >£300k per week? The signs must have all been there, they certainly were on the pitch despite the better stats last season.

Sooner Ineos can clean house the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.