Rashford out partying at nightclub hours before reporting as too ill to attend training

Status
Not open for further replies.

LInkash

The optimist and romantic in me says that this drama is the catalyst that kick starts our season.

DanH

I hope he has a good run for the rest of the season. Then I hope we are able to find a buyer and he is happy in what he does. I don't think he's right for us right now though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I guess the jokes here are partly true. If he was playing like this on a regular basis fans would be way quicker to forgive transgressions. You can’t be as poor as he’s been this season and do what he did. But he’s playing superbly tonight so far so fair play to him for that. Needs to keep it up for the rest of the season.

sepulturite

Saddest part is they’ll be a certain section of fans who’ll be happy were winning but annoyed he scored.

The overreaction people have bought into is embarassing.
To be fair for most of us it wasn't an overreaction when we initially heard what he did, it was very unprofessional, but anyone that cares about United would have wanted it sorted quickly and hopefully have him back playing well, which is what happened at the moment. But yeh I agree with you that some took it way to far as usual, even after it was sorted.

lsd

The Oracle
It was probably the shock of being in Larne made him go wow i better knuckle down or i could end up here forever.

He went out on a bender to forget about being there which is fair enough and now has his head straight.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Selling players after a few mistakes would lead you having to sell half your squad every summer.
Depends on the mistakes though doesn't it?

I think the least we should be accepting is professionalism. I can excuse a lack of quality or some poor form if they at least show that they're trying on the field and maintaining a professional approach off it.

Getting smashed in a nightclub the night before you've got work then calling in sick and getting caught would be grounds for dismissal in pretty much every other employment.

stevoc

What? It is all over the papers - photo evidence and a girl saying he was doing shots of tequila.

I doubt Rashford is asking for protection. Only you seem to be.
Are people missing the fact the club made an official statement saying Rashford was ill and then Ten Hag the next day unprompted contradicted that by saying it's an internal (disciplinary) matter that he'll deal with.

It doesn't matter what there are or aren't pictures of. Ten Hag shouldn't be giving the press anything other than the offical club line on matters. That's all I'm saying, if the club says a players ill the manager should be repeating that and nothing more. If it's an internal matter deal with it internally, give the press nothing.

stevoc

It was probably the shock of being in Larne made him go wow i better knuckle down or i could end up here forever.

He went out on a bender to forget about being there which is fair enough and now has his head straight.
It's understandable, it would have a serious affect on anyone.

roseguy64

This bolded part is often overlooked. He was a run-of-the-mill academy lad who benefitted from a major injury crisis, a few well-timed goals at the start of his career and a club desperate for a good news story.

People forget, if Will Keane hadn't been on loan (or injured, I forget which) Rashford wouldn't have even played against Kobenhaven. He was that far down the pecking order.

I honestly, honestly think had he not had that run of goals when he broke into the first team that he'd have ended up dropping into the Championship in his early 20s and probably ended up playing for a bottom half Premier League team for most of his career.

He's arguably a player who's built his entire reputation on roughly 40/50 good games in his career across three little purple patches and some world-class PR
Cool

roseguy64

I guess the jokes here are partly true. If he was playing like this on a regular basis fans would be way quicker to forgive transgressions. You can’t be as poor as he’s been this season and do what he did. But he’s playing superbly tonight so far so fair play to him for that. Needs to keep it up for the rest of the season.
People are predictable. We'll forgive a lot if you're benefiting us.

roseguy64

I think the least we should be accepting is professionalism. I can excuse a lack of quality or some poor form if they at least show that they're trying on the field and maintaining a professional approach off it.

Getting smashed in a nightclub the night before you've got work then calling in sick and getting caught would be grounds for dismissal in pretty much every other employment.
Football is not a regular job now is it? No need to compare it.

Footballers regularly get up to stuff like what Rashford did. Minor thing that the manager punishes them for and they move on.

ryansgirl

I just think he's going through a bad moment on and off the pitch, a lot of people are going through a bad moment and in these times you need some support. We all do.

I don't think he's done here, but what do I know?
You could know more than all of us put together. It`s so disappointing to see what has transpired at Manchester United for too long now so when something like this happens with a high profile player who has been treated very well by the club, it does remind supporters that the culture of United has been eroded.

I know that there`s too much looking back at the Ferguson era but it`s not even about the title and trophies so much as the poor decisions at all levels. The teams Sir Alex put together were based on a certain budget because for a long time United didn`t pay big for big names with the exception of players like Veron who were not suitable for the English game and a prime English defender like Rio who was one of the elite defenders in the Premier era. Yet those teams had a style of play based on work ethic as well as flair and the titles and silverware came from that sense of identity and shrewd management.

The managerial merry go round, too many players who don`t meld and have the work ethic and rate and the general instability at United are the fundamental problems and if somebody like Marcus won`t or can`t stand for something different, then it`s fair enough to think he and the club would be better off parting ways. Really want him to surprise us and come back from this with a different attitude.

frostbite

Next time he should take ETH with him, Erik looks like he needs a little dancing and chilling out...

TheReligion

Abusive
Can’t believe some of you have the negative energy to immediately log on to the caf after a game like that and commence the moaning.

Remarkable achievement!

ryansgirl

Can’t believe some of you have the negative energy to immediately log on to the caf after a game like that and commence the moaning.

Remarkable achievement!
Can`t believe you can`t understand that some people actually were commenting before they`d seen the Wolves game, simply following up points made before the game or are in different timezones. It`s not rocket science.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can`t believe you can`t understand that some people actually were commenting before they`d seen the Wolves game, simply following up points made before the game or are in different timezones. It`s not rocket science.
The best solution here to is to post your time zone in brackets prior to posting. Saves posters looking stupidly negative.

ryansgirl

The best solution here to is to post your time zone in brackets prior to posting. Saves posters looking stupidly negative.
No, don`t have to do anything for you if you need instructions to use a net forum - irrespective of how important you feel you are to the caf perhaps others don`t feel the same way. Just saying.

Lastwolf

Are people missing the fact the club made an official statement saying Rashford was ill and then Ten Hag the next day unprompted contradicted that by saying it's an internal (disciplinary) matter that he'll deal with.

It doesn't matter what there are or aren't pictures of. Ten Hag shouldn't be giving the press anything other than the offical club line on matters. That's all I'm saying, if the club says a players ill the manager should be repeating that and nothing more. If it's an internal matter deal with it internally, give the press nothing.
Yeah, you're right, the press are well known for being reasonable and dropping a subject when they get a cookie cutter response.

Have you ever watched one? seriously.

There was about 9 questions asking variations of "Sick? haha you mean hungover, right? have you lost the dressing room?" to which he clearly had to react differently as the truth of the matter was out of the bag. Everyone knew, Rashford had been out on the lash the night before and his sickness even if unrelated (which it probably wasn't) was a breach of discipline and a direct challenge to the offical statement the club had put out.

He responded "It's an internal matter, I'll deal with it" a solid 5-6 times after that, they still asked it, hoping he'd have a stroke and give details.

Once he did deal with it internally, they have been and still will be for a few weeks still be asking him the same god damn question using variations as wild as "Rashford bad, good now? what do? why do? Sancho?"

When he's "offically" responded "it's been dealt with, we move on".

Press conferences in general are a waste of damn time and seem irrating for all involved, but the idea that you can just sit there and say "manutd.com/news" and get away it, isn't based in reality.

TheReligion

Abusive
No, don`t have to do anything for you if you need instructions to use a net forum - irrespective of how important you feel you are to the caf perhaps others don`t feel the same way. Just saying.
You don’t need to be in the correct time zone to understand you need to stop derailing the thread now. Thanks.

ryansgirl

You don’t need to be in the correct time zone to understand you need to stop derailing the thread now. Thanks.
Thanks for the laugh. I don`t post often but I do recall there are some oddbods here who enjoy aggressively pursuing targeted posters and will keep doing it as they can`t get by without a response. Then they whinge about others `derailing`. I`ll let you have this conversation with yourself.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thanks for the laugh. I don`t post often but I do recall there are some oddbods here who enjoy aggressively pursuing targeted posters and will keep doing it as they can`t get by without a response. Then they whinge about others `derailing`. I`ll let you have this conversation with yourself.
No probs. Hopefully it helps you to lighten up.

Lee565

Maybe he benefited from actually having a rest against league 1 opposition in the fa cup fixture which should not have needed our strongest 11 anyway

stevoc

Yeah, you're right, the press are well known for being reasonable and dropping a subject when they get a cookie cutter response.

Have you ever watched one? seriously.

There was about 9 questions asking variations of "Sick? haha you mean hungover, right? have you lost the dressing room?" to which he clearly had to react differently as the truth of the matter was out of the bag. Everyone knew, Rashford had been out on the lash the night before and his sickness even if unrelated (which it probably wasn't) was a breach of discipline and a direct challenge to the offical statement the club had put out.

He responded "It's an internal matter, I'll deal with it" a solid 5-6 times after that, they still asked it, hoping he'd have a stroke and give details.

Once he did deal with it internally, they have been and still will be for a few weeks still be asking him the same god damn question using variations as wild as "Rashford bad, good now? what do? why do? Sancho?"

When he's "offically" responded "it's been dealt with, we move on".

Press conferences in general are a waste of damn time and seem irrating for all involved, but the idea that you can just sit there and say "manutd.com/news" and get away it, isn't based in reality.
Why are people acting like the statement he did make satisfied the press and lead to no more questions?

And point missed again. Its irrelevant what questions the press may or may not ask. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think the manager of Manchester United should be contradicting the clubs official statements or giving the press anything more than he needs to.

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect that from the manager?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And point missed again. Its irrelevant what questions the press may or may not ask. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think the manager of Manchester United should be contradicting the clubs official statements or giving the press anything more than he needs to.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a real contradiction. The club statement was that Rashford is ill, and in a way this was the truth - being hungover counts as being ill for me. But clearly the club didn't want to make the reason for his illness public (or might not have known about this). Either way this statement was before it became public knowledge that Rashford was out drinking.

Acting like it was a normal illness like a cold while being confronted with images of him drinking would just look stupid and I would never expect a manager to look this stupid or demand it from him. In the end we have two statements which perfectly fit each other:
1. Rashford is ill and can't train
2. The (obvious and publicly known) reason for his illness is not acceptable and this is dealt with further internally.

The press had all they needed to make a big story out of it, not confirming it happened would just look stupid, but it was also the right thing not to go into details. This was absolutely the right thing how it was dealt with in that press conference.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Solved it.

This is all 4d chess.

Rashford knows he's in poor form. The last time he really kicked on was when the crowd were at him for poor performances, so he constructed a scenario where he met a lady working in a restaurant, drew attention to himself by asking for bruchetta with no tomato seeds, sent her to a bar to get her blind drunk, then sent a lookalike to pick her up for a tequila session, then swapped him around for a second lookalike to take her to the club, all while he's having neural implants put in in Portadown, which needs a few days to settle down. Then, he comes back, with the crowd on his back, with AI improved motivation and drive, and surges us to the league title, fa cup and 9-0 wins over all our rivals.

Occums Razor.
Called it

stevoc

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a real contradiction. The club statement was that Rashford is ill, and in a way this was the truth - being hungover counts as being ill for me. But clearly the club didn't want to make the reason for his illness public (or might not have known about this). Either way this statement was before it became public knowledge that Rashford was out drinking.

Acting like it was a normal illness like a cold while being confronted with images of him drinking would just look stupid and I would never expect a manager to look this stupid or demand it from him. In the end we have two statements which perfectly fit each other:
1. Rashford is ill and can't train
2. The (obvious and publicly known) reason for his illness is not acceptable and this is dealt with further internally.

The press had all they needed to make a big story out of it, not confirming it happened would just look stupid, but it was also the right thing not to go into details. This was absolutely the right thing how it was dealt with in that press conference.
Well personally I think he did contradict the club statement, as the statement made no mention of any disciplinary issues. Erik offered that one up freely without even being asked.

And I could be wrong on the timeline but I'm almost certain it was public knowledge Rashford had been out partying before United released a statement.

I hold this opinion on all matters not just this one to be fair. The manager of Manchester United should be giving the press nothing beyond the bare minimum when it comes to private club matters.

crossy1686

career ending

You realise that the unemployment rate would be about 98% of the world if this was really the case.

Lastwolf

Why are people acting like the statement he did make satisfied the press and lead to no more questions?

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect that from the manager?
No, it's not unreasonable but... he didn't really contradict the clubs statement.

He himself said it was illness prior to all the details dropping.

All the club statement said was he's ill, Ten Haag said he was ill, he was ill, the problem was it was probably being hungover as opposed to the cold or something acceptable and everyone knew it.

The press are vulutures, they are never going to be fully sated, I think he gave a fairly even handed amount of information, as a update to the statement, in light of a greater amount of detail becoming public knowledge as you could under the circumstances. They are still talking about it now, even though we've repeatedly said it's done. If there had been zero updated statements, they'd be in a frenzy by now.

Zed 101

In fairness Rashford had been looking much improved (in attitude if nothing else) as soon as ETH moved him back to the left wing (and put Garnacho right) a few matches back.... IF Rashford stays (and I believe unless we get stupid offers coming in he will), then either he plays left, 9 at a push or just don't play him

Unlike the rest of y'all I obviously do not know what goes on behind doors at Carrington and OT, and Rashford sulking about it is just really!!! but ETH putting Rashford right and playing Martial as 9 match after match, when Martial was offering nothing and Rashford was last seasons top scorer (a lot of which as a 9) is just indicative of ETHs FM mentality.... not saying it is the only issue with the team but it was a big one, which affected the functionality of the team, now we start to see the fruits of having players in suitable positions and building up understandings, yes we have had injuries but there was absolutely no reason that we could not have been playing Rashford left or 9, Garnacho left or right all season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I read that Wolves were playing some song about downing shots before the match. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.