Rashford out partying at nightclub hours before reporting as too ill to attend training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
If we can get 120m for Sancho and Rashford in the summer, we should take it.
Throw Antony in too, and bring in at least two proper wingers alongside Garnacho. No more of this inverted winger nonsense.

Remember the geese

The club can’t afford to isolate him like they’ve done with Sancho, we simply won’t score enough goals without him. In the summer if we can get a great fee it’s potentially worth moving him on, but for now Ten Hag needs to do exactly what he’s said, deal with it internally.
Rashford has scored 4 goals this season. I think we would be fine. Having said that, I can't see anyone coming in for him this window. Should be sold in the summer along with many, many, others.

Rusholme Ruffian

A bigger problem than the clubbing/missing training thing is the way he seems unable to leave his personal thoughts on the sidelines and give 100% effort whilst on the pitch. Sadly you can see it every time he's asked to play centre-forward, and every time he senses a manager might be on the way out. It wouldn't surprise me if part of his issues this season are because of the emergence of Garnacho in his position. He clearly has a major mental flaw in his character, and I can't think of too make examples of players with weak mentality turning things around mid-career. Unless Brailsford is confident he can fix whatever the mental block is - and quickly - then get rid ASAP.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The thing that annoys me about this is how so many people keep referring to Rashford as the 'figurehead' of the club, the player with the highest profile....the most important player at the club......yet for UNITED fans with their eyes open who have watched his inconsistent performances over the last 3 seasons can see he is everything but the main man..... ive seen him sulk about not trying for 9 months for OLE and RR , come to life in ETH's first season to get his new contract and then go back to this sulking demeanour again this season..... how is this guy worthy of being held in such high regard.? How is this acceptable to us the fans ? Its player power of the highest degree.

He feels he is untouchable and can do what he wants because he is a local lad on a massive contract and this latest stunt should hopefully speed up his deserved exit.
No one is bigger than the club, get Rashford out and rebuild.
That's because he is the face of the club in terms of marketing and profile and TBH really only came about because of the St Marcus impression and the campaign for feeding poor kids, it has nothing to do with his abilities or performances as a player

moodyred

This club keeps non performing players for way too long. Hoping that in 8 years time, they may start to perform.

pre Munich Red

Rashford not doing his job, not even trying to, a disgrace to The Shirt.
Maximum possible fine, there is probably an agreed top limit in his contract unfortunately.
Sell asap, bad influence, not the only one in that dressing room/first team squad, offload those as well, start again with young talent and top class buy-ins.

soapythecat

Made the mistake of listening to TalkSport earlier just as they talked about this. Simon Jordan immediately suggesting that this is ETH doing for stating that he will 'deal with it internally'. WTF is ETH supposed to say? Sometimes I think too much is made of what a manager, who's speaking in a second language, says to the media. ETH has done nothing wrong here and been hung out dry by a player who should know better.

SuperiorXI

Made the mistake of listening to TalkSport earlier just as they talked about this. Simon Jordan immediately suggesting that this is ETH doing for stating that he will 'deal with it internally'. WTF is ETH supposed to say? Sometimes I think too much is made of what a manager, who's speaking in a second language, says to the media. ETH has done nothing wrong here and been hung out dry by a player who should know better.
Simon Jordan is paid to spout nonsense to generate clicks, he is best ignored.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rashford has scored 4 goals this season. I think we would be fine. Having said that, I can't see anyone coming in for him this window. Should be sold in the summer along with many, many, others.
Other than Hojlund he’s our most likely attacker to register a goal or assist and has been for ages. We can’t really finish the season with Garnacho Hojlund and Antony as our only options. He needs to sort his head out, get reintegrated then maybe the club can move him on for a good fee in there summer like you say.

van Nistelrooy

Rashford not doing his job, not even trying to, a disgrace to The Shirt.
Maximum possible fine, there is probably an agreed top limit in his contract unfortunately.
Sell asap, bad influence, not the only one in that dressing room/first team squad, offload those as well, start again with young talent and top class buy-ins.
Pretty sure 2-weeks wages is the maximum fine permitted.

Should receive the fine and dropped from all matchday squads for the month.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why? Is wales and Scotland part of England?
You must have got your geography or your politics mixed up as I can assure you there's no one in Northern Ireland that doesn't think/consider England a different country thankfully
Why are you contrasting with England? They are both part of the UK. Nobody thinks going from Edinburgh to Manchester or driving from Chester to Angelsey is international travel. Are people really arguing Belfast is abroad from someone in Manchester?! We literally all have the same passports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a country in Northwestern Europe, off the north-western coast of the continental mainland. It comprises England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Maticmaker

A bigger problem than the clubbing/missing training thing is the way he seems unable to leave his personal thoughts on the sidelines and give 100% effort whilst on the pitch. Sadly you can see it every time he's asked to play centre-forward, and every time he senses a manager might be on the way out. It wouldn't surprise me if part of his issues this season are because of the emergence of Garnacho in his position. He clearly has a major mental flaw in his character, and I can't think of too make examples of players with weak mentality turning things around mid-career. Unless Brailsford is confident he can fix whatever the mental block is - and quickly - then get rid ASAP.
I suspect you are spot on with this, sometimes when he's on the pitch and racing full tilt into 2, or 3 defenders waiting to pounce, you get the impression he is completely in his own world, oblivious to anything else.
Don't know whats happening to him off the pitch, and of course his personal life is his own affair, but whoever is advising him are either not giving the advice he needs or are simply not getting through.
Of course in terms of the football if he doesn't turn up for training then there is not a lot the manager can do, except take him out of the squad.

Suspect the lads heart is in the right place, but his head certainly isn't.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Why are you contrasting with England? They are both part of the UK. Nobody thinks going from Edinburgh to Manchester or driving from Chester to Angelsey is international travel. Are people really arguing Belfast is abroad from someone in Manchester?! We literally all have the same passports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
Yes, as "Abroad" is defined as entering a foreign country, which England and Ireland are, they are both of the UK but not the same country?

croadyman

Definitely another you can put in the same group as Pogba,Lingard and Sancho which is sad

OleGunnar20

The club can’t afford to isolate him like they’ve done with Sancho, we simply won’t score enough goals without him. In the summer if we can get a great fee it’s potentially worth moving him on, but for now Ten Hag needs to do exactly what he’s said, deal with it internally.
Eh, he's had what - 6 g+a in the PL this year? If a decent offer came in I'd love to see the back of him personally, screw it. Short term pain for a long term gain.

The mentality of the club needs resetting and anyone not acting professionally can go for me, fill the gaps with whoever is left and rebuild from the summer (or even this window if the right targets were available with cash now in the bank).

Outside of the FA cup it's looking like a write off of a season anyway.

Garnacho / Amad / Antony / Pellistri / Mount / Fernandes is enough to work with for the rest of the season with no European football.

Last edited:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Eh, he's had what - 6 g+a in the PL this year? If a decent offer came in I'd love to see the back of him personally, screw it. Short term pain for a long term gain.

The mentality of the club needs resetting and anyone not acting professionally can go for me, fill the gaps with whoever is left and rebuild from the summer (or even this window if the right targets were available with cash now in the bank).

Outside of the FA cup it's looking like a write off of a season anyway.

Garnacho / Amad / Antony / Pellistri / Mount / Fernandes is enough to work with for the rest of the season with no European football.
100% We have let players become bigger than the club.

Steve Bruce

Problem with FFP is that if we ditch the likes of Sancho for £15 million, then we are in a £60 million FFP hole on that player alone. Unless I totally misunderstand how it works.
You haven't totally misunderstood but have a bit.

Eg. If you sign player x for 100m for 5 years, every year in those 5 years his value on the books goes down by 20m. So if 2 seasons later you sold him for 70m you'll get 10m profit on the books. If you sold him for 50m it'll be a 10m loss.

Then of course the wages would also factor in on the profit.

After the 5 years if you sell the player it would be classed as pure profit.

I don't fully understand it all, but that's it in simple terms

UDontMessWith24

When Gary Neville had Rooney on his interview show a few years ago, they were talking about whose club United was player wise through the years, or in other words who the leading players were and how the mantle was passed from the mid to late 90s group to Rooney's generation. Now we have this kid being given the keys to the club as a PR push rather than it being earned, which he has not even come close to in comparison to the players that came before him. I can take bad form, unlucky streaks in front of goals, and even a penchant for being a little greedy from time to time. What is not acceptable is a lack of professionalism and a complete disregard for what this club is supposed to be.

Robson, Bruce, Keane, Giggs, Neville, Evra, Vidic, Ronaldo, Rooney...Rashford?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mark my words, Marcus is going to look back on his career with huge regrets.

Imagine getting the opportunity to play for your boyhood club and you piss that opportunity away by being a fecking idiot.
I doubt it will be the case.

There are players out there who give their heart and soul to the team but they are rare. Some live out to regret being like that as well. Batistuta for example left football as a cripple for example. Rashford comes across as a person who sees it as a job. He worked hard for that contract and he can now take his foot off the pedal and relax a little. People who grow complacent in a comfy job are quite common. That's why SAF made sure that players were given huge salaries only after proving themselves at the highest level and on a consistent basis

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
I doubt it will be the case.

There are players out there who give their heart and soul to the team but they are rare. Some live out to regret being like that as well. Batistuta for example left football as a cripple for example. Rashford comes across as a person who sees it as a job. He worked hard for that contract and he can now take his foot off the pedal and relax a little. People who grow complacent in a comfy job are quite common. That's why SAF made sure that no young player gets silly salaries.
He may see it as a job but he was born in Manchester, brought up as a Utd fan, been there since he was a child. Once he’s hung up his boots he’ll definitely look back and have regrets imo.

Look at the other players who have left us and regretted it, Beckham for example. Marcus falls into the same bracket and he is being beyond stupid with the way he’s conducted himself the last few years.

I don’t want to see him in a Utd shirt again, he doesn’t deserve it and we as a club should have much higher standards than he’s displaying.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The problem is football contracts are iron-clad and these guys can afford great lawyers.

Your average Joeyjojo can be fired much more easily and won't have the money to fight it in court
Fired yes but not fined. You are allowed to fine based on variety of reasoning. We should've fined the shit out of Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood, Antony and now Rashford.

roseguy64

I'm done with him, two weeks fine please.

Fergie would never put-up with bullshit like this.
Not defending Rashford here but a lot more of this stuff happened under Fergie than you know. It just never got out.

stevoc

Would be a terrible approach. You know it's not that simple, because the next question is "he's not ill, we have pictures of him at a nightclub the night before".

Which then opens him up. Him saying it's internal before they can push him is a far, far better way to go.
Yeah because they accepted the response he did give and it didn't lead to any further questions or speculation on the matter. If you watch the interview you can see him realize himself that his response only encouraged the journalists to dig deeper.

And keeping private club business private is never a terrible approach.

stevoc

I don't think this is what any of us would do as manager though. ETH is who he is, for the record I think it's what our club needs as well, you ask and you get an answer. It's not that crazy, players should not get shielded by managers - we as fans want to know as much as possible and we want to know which players care about playing for the club we support. Rashford should care more than most but there's a distinct feeling now, after the big pay day, that he's taken his foot off the gas.
To be fair Sir Alex protected players all the time and kept disciplinary measures private. But I guess you are right ETH is what he is, a bit naive.

gaffs

Mark my words, Marcus is going to look back on his career with huge regrets.

Imagine getting the opportunity to play for your boyhood club and you piss that opportunity away by being a fecking idiot.
I wouldn't say he has pissed the opportunity away. You are talking like he is Raval Morrison or something.

He has played 399 games for the club and has put himself in a possession where he is the clubs top earner.

roseguy64

What I never understand is why the club doesn't have a knobhead clause, if you act a knob you don't get paid or even your contract is void? You'd think with the amounts of money that would be pretty standard.
That would probably mean half of every PL squad would have their contracts voided.

roseguy64

There's got to be the other side of the story. The reporting is very one sided. Rashford is just an arrogant immature boy and it's all on him? Same as Ronaldo, Sancho and the list goes an went?

Wonder whats going on behind closed doors. From the outside it looks very toxic. Every player becomes the villain over time.
Andy Mitten had a good insight into the story on the recent Talk of The Devils podcast re: the Rashford situation.

gaffs

His behavior and attitude stinks, but we are stuck with him.

Maybe PSG buy him if Mbappe leaves in the summer, but they are not dumb. They will know he is massively inconsistent, not totally focused on football and likely not going to be any more focused at PSG than he was at United.

stevoc

Are you pretending to be thick? Did you actually watch the press conference?

Reporter "What's going on with Rashford?"

Ten Haag looks confused and then annoyed at the question and asks "in what sense?"

Reporter: "He was photographed in belfast....missed training."

He reported ill” Ten Hag said. “as for the rest, it's an internal matter, I'll deal with it.

He clearly said they were two separate issues. He's not contradicting the club. One that he's ill, and he looked annoyed at the reporter for suggesting otherwise, and then states he'll handle the belfast incident internally.
I did but I'm starting to suspect no one else I'm conversing with actually has.

Say he's ill and move on.

Saying "He's reported ill" A, leaves it open to interpretation that Ten Hag doesn't necessarily believe he is actually ill.

And B to then unprompted go on to say "It's an internal matter that will be dealt with". All but confirms there's a disciplinary issue.

Watch the video his comments just encouraged the press to dig deeper and start asking loaded questions.

Jesus wept you really do have an agenda here.
Having an opinion isn't having an agenda mate. To be honest I'm just sick of every feckwit connected to the club feeding the negative press that seems to constantly surround the club. We need to get back to a place like when manager and the players gave them very little.

I genuinely hope Ineos get them all media training.

Status
Not open for further replies.