Rashford vs Garnacho...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Footballing rhetoric states that 'competition for places is always a good thing', however, there are certainly more ideal scenarios than others for when that occurs. Typically, you wouldn't have Lewandowski and Kane competing with each other, for example. A more ideal scenario is perhaps a Kobbie Mainoo challenging Casemiro, or a Fred challenging McTominay when neither are spectacular.

Then we have Garnacho and Rashford. A promising teenage talent challenging our supposed star player and highest earner who is at a prime age and has just signed a new 5 year contract. Now that's awkward. What can't be denied is that Rashford has been amongst our poorest players this season. As far as our forward players go, Garnacho has been amongst our best. He's only 19 but if he continues on an upwards trajectory, that will create a big Marcus Rashford problem, especially as the right hand side experiment has not gone brilliantly and to compound it - Antony (our 90m right winger) has also started showing signs of life.

I can't foresee a scenario where Marcus Rashford being a sub for a prolonged period becoming a problem and also a huge media distraction for us. That said, if Garnacho just so happens to be the real deal - then he'll have to go sooner rather than later.

The ideal thing would be for Rashford to return to form. Frankly, we need it. We need a regularly scoring forward. That said, if by the time he does, Garnacho has shown himself to be just a little bit too special to be a sub - then we would then have ourselves a Garnacho problem. He's not going to just sit and wait for Rashford to turn 34.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Garnacho won't start every game, we play lot of games so he will get rotated, rested.

Places should be up for grabs and player in form should be the one starting the games.

Going by Chelsea game and Rashford's form this season, it's very easy decision for now.

GreatDane

Footballing rhetoric states that 'competition for places is always a good thing', however, there are certainly more ideal scenarios than others for when that occurs. Typically, you wouldn't have Lewandowski and Kane competing with each other, for example. A more ideal scenario is perhaps a Kobbie Mainoo challenging Casemiro, or a Fred challenging McTominay when neither are spectacular.

Then we have Garnacho and Rashford. A promising teenage talent challenging our supposed star player and highest earner who is at a prime age and has just signed a new 5 year contract. Now that's awkward. What can't be denied is that Rashford has been amongst our poorest players this season. As far as our forward players go, Garnacho has been amongst our best. He's only 19 but if he continues on an upwards trajectory, that will create a big Marcus Rashford problem, especially as the right hand side experiment has not gone brilliantly and to compound it - Antony (our 90m right winger) has also started showing signs of life.

I can't foresee a scenario where Marcus Rashford being a sub for a prolonged period becoming a problem and also a huge media distraction for us. That said, if Garnacho just so happens to be the real deal - then he'll have to go sooner rather than later.

The ideal thing would be for Rashford to return to form. Frankly, we need it. We need a regularly scoring forward. That said, if by the time he does, Garnacho has shown himself to be just a little bit too special to be a sub - then we would then have ourselves a Garnacho problem. He's not going to just sit and wait for Rashford to turn 34.
We don't need Rashford to return, our goal scoring has been just fine in the games he hasn't started in, better than with him.
We need to sell him and others who doesn't put in the shift required.

Crashoutcassius

Garnacho won't start every game, we play lot of games so he will get rotated, rested.

Places should be up for grabs and player in form should be the one starting the games.

Going by Chelsea game and Rashford's form this season, it's very easy decision for now.
Exactly. End the thread. Extreme views on which player starts are pointless as there are so many ups and downs, games and injuries

Eddy_JukeZ

Rashford's form this season has been very disappointing. I thought the last Ole and Rangnick season was an anomaly for him considering his 2 seasons prior to that.

He's been arguably worse this season than that season. Really thought he'd score 25-30 goals this season and keep kicking on.

I think he needs a rocket up his butt. He's played too carefree all season and isn't busting a gut enough out there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's definitely not ideal, as you always have to consider player status and their expectations of roles. Garnacho is fine to be a squad player for a while, if deserved. Rashford if he is no longer ahead of Garnacho in the pecking order, then we have a problem. His status as a player isn't to be the first sub or rotating in. It's to he the key player. So status wise it's definitely an issue.

In terms of style of play and ignoring form... Garnacho is honestly the player we need more and the type who will get us closer to being a top team. He's a proper winger and can get at defenders with the ball, dribble past them, create and chip in with goals. Rashford is just a wide forward whose main thing is off the ball runs to get the ball in behind for a goal. It he's not doing that, he's not doing much. Basically a poacher. And I always think you have to unbalance your team to carry a poacher a bit, so they need to be scoring an outrageous amount of goals. That number is probably 2 goals every 3 games to be truly worth it in the hope to be a top team. 1 in 2 doesn't get you there.

Realistically I can see a decision to be made in summer 2025 for Rashford in terms of what he wants, as I think he'll find himself benched more than he'd like next season. For now it's just form and up to Rashford to do something about it. The question is, can he actually do something about it anyway.

Varun

Staff
The trouble only starts if both are firing all cylinders. So we're safe forever

Born2Lose

Ir Rashford can't cope with competition then he can leave. Player FC is the biggest problem at this club and has been for years. If a player can't cope with competition for places then how will they cope with pressure games in the PL and CL. You're seeing in this very moment why Rashford would never get a game at City or Liverpool, he'd fold under the pressure of competition.

Ten Hag's idolisation of "Rashy" is my biggest worry. I hope he has the conviction to keep the team the same for Bayern and Liverpool as our general play, to me, is miles better when we have a natural left winger on the pitch rather than Rashford. Fair play to Antony too, his last two performances have shown a lot of character and maturity. I also hope Amad comes back and hits the ground running, I'd love nothing more than to see Ten Hag go all in backing youth like Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad and look to the longer term.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we had a fit and firing Rashford then I think we’d be in the top 3 right now. Rashford inform is unstoppable. Since his contract though he’s got no Determination or desire anymore. Garnacho is on the rise to become a star. I’m just worried one of the Spanish clubs like Madrid will come in for him and tempt him.

LordSpud

It's not a conundrum because I think Rashford has peaked whilst Garnacho needs to keeping playing and progressing. So I would just cash in on Rashford.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Rashford v. Traffic light.
Ahh nice turn by light. Sorry; back to saving the world and virtue signalling, Marcus

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We don't need Rashford to return, our goal scoring has been just fine in the games he hasn't started in, better than with him.
We need to sell him and others who doesn't put in the shift required.
In general, we have been not been clinical at all this season, and offer little goal threat against top teams. That of course includes the games he has started in, but if he was in last season's form, it would be a different matter. He can score against the best of teams consistently, and right now, we don't have a forward to do so.

Scott McTominay purple patch isn't really a sustainable solution for scoring goals. We need a goalscoring forward.

mikeyt

It's not a conundrum because I think Rashford has peaked whilst Garnacho needs to keeping playing and progressing. So I would just cash in on Rashford.
100% this. Rashford needs to move on, cash in and move forward.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why is this problem only for us while other teams can have quality options on all positions?

pacifictheme

Right now garnacho should be starting. Overhead kick aside I think he's been improving his all round play with this run in the side, but like others have said it's a long season and garnacho is young

UpWithRivers

Rashford should talk to Shaw. Every time he's challenged he goes up 10 gears. Rashford seems to have had a word with Martial.

Telsim

Why is this problem only for us while other teams can have quality options on all positions?
Because this club just can't break away from the need to have special, poster boys, and a lot of it is surrounded in sentiment and marketing. In my opinion, this should only happen if you truly distinguish yourself for a prolonged period of time in service of the club, and even then a proper club would know when it's time to change things. Rashford has done absolutely nothing like that, yet there's seems to be a large chunk of the fanbase that idolises him.

I genuinely don't see a reason why him playing second fiddle to Garnacho should be a point of any concern whatsoever. For however long it lasts. Of course they should be rotated when necessary and Rashford should then take his chances to impress. And if he doesn't like it, well he knows where the door is. There will always be someone else willing to take his place.

What matters is what is best for the team's competitive aspirations and not what is best for Rashford.

DickDastardly

Football’s a team game, not everybody gets on.

There was a time my friend.....a time when we had Cole and Yorke coming out only for Sheringham and Ole to come in for the last 20 minutes.
And you're here worrying about Rashford and Garnacho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's definitely not ideal, as you always have to consider player status and their expectations of roles. Garnacho is fine to be a squad player for a while, if deserved. Rashford if he is no longer ahead of Garnacho in the pecking order, then we have a problem. His status as a player isn't to be the first sub or rotating in. It's to he the key player. So status wise it's definitely an issue.

In terms of style of play and ignoring form... Garnacho is honestly the player we need more and the type who will get us closer to being a top team. He's a proper winger and can get at defenders with the ball, dribble past them, create and chip in with goals. Rashford is just a wide forward whose main thing is off the ball runs to get the ball in behind for a goal. It he's not doing that, he's not doing much. Basically a poacher. And I always think you have to unbalance your team to carry a poacher a bit, so they need to be scoring an outrageous amount of goals. That number is probably 2 goals every 3 games to be truly worth it in the hope to be a top team. 1 in 2 doesn't get you there.

Realistically I can see a decision to be made in summer 2025 for Rashford in terms of what he wants, as I think he'll find himself benched more than he'd like next season. For now it's just form and up to Rashford to do something about it. The question is, can he actually do something about it anyway.
Very well put.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've outlined why it is a 'problem'. This is our highest paid player who has 5 years left on his deal. We can say what we like but the expectation when he signed that deal would not have been for him to be a 'quality option'. It's an inconvenience for us, as it would be for any team, when their biggest names and highest paid players can't get into the side. Add in the fact that he is an England international and you can be almost certain that it will become a deafening distraction within the media if he is a sub for a prolonged period.

sugar_kane

My mind is drawn back to the rumours over Summer that Ten Hag wanted another left winger.

It didn't seem to make any sense with Rashford and Garnacho having it locked down, with potential for Sancho to play there too.

Wonder if Ten Hag recognised back then a potential looming problem (Sancho of course, but potentially Rashford too?)

davidmichael

Didn’t do Ryan Giggs any harm to compete with Lee Sharpe, Jesper Blomqvist or Nani over his United career so why should an inferior player like Rashford be safe from competition ? If players can’t handle competition for their starting place then they don’t have the mentality to even be a professional footballer.

The problem with Rashford is for pretty much his entire United career he’s been allowed to coast and produce poor performances as he’s never really had genuine competition for his spot as that competition has been Sanchez, Martial and Lukaku but now Garnacho is starting to produce decent to great performances consistently so Rashford needs to knuckle down and produce or accept a back up role or move on.

Football now isn’t like it was in the 70’s to very early 90’s where teams worked with a squad of 16-17 players and is a proper squad game and with the money some are on, Rashford is on £300K a week, the least that should be expected is non stop effort for 90 minutes but with Rashford it’s a case of if everything not being how he wants it he turns into a child and sulks then walks around and is surprised when he’s subbed off so until he snaps out of his petulance and self importance he deserves to be on the bench especially whilst Garnacho IS performing.

Hoof the ball

This is a real shit or get off the pot moment.

Rashford is 26, and only ever wants to play at LW.
Garnacho prefers to play at LW.

If you make definitive plans for Marcus to be the man for the next five years in that position then you risk Garnacho eventually just leaving.

This is where you need iron balls in management. You can spend the next five years getting inconsistent Rashford and that in turn hurting your chances of improving as a team, or you can take a risk by freezing Rashford out in favour of Garnacho, who may or may not find his next level.

You ain't going to keep both happy, that's for damn sure.

fallengt

Rashford needs to get his shit together. He has golden boy status, is highest earner. If he get benched by a 19 years old whom barely had a full season, then it's his problem.
If Rashford thinks he's beyond criticism and can chicken out every 50/50 challenge then id say the punishment is well deserved

At this age, we expect a Rooney-ish, always hungry for football kind of players, not some one who turns up 1 in 5 games.

Last edited:

Jericho

While you're probably right I don't get why we do that. I don't remember our best players like Beckham, Keane, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney getting rotated that much. Obviously Garnacho isn't at that level, but he does look like our best attacking outlet right now. I think rotating our form players risks derailing their form. We're out of the EFL cup, we're effectively out of the CL. Barring the odd break during the congested Christmas period I'd be starting him in every league game while he's playing like this.

bosskeano

no real comparison right now....one is performing and willing to put in effort and one is cashing a weekly check

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

When we play with Rashford we are just playing a lopsided 4-4-2 anyway with him doing by far the least amount of work.

We can actually play 3 up front with Garnacho because he’s creative and will track back. It’s a much better formation to get the best of the rest of the team and we press better out of possession. It’s a no brainier at this moment in time

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
While you're probably right I don't get why we do that. I don't remember our best players like Beckham, Keane, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney getting rotated that much. Obviously Garnacho isn't at that level, but he does look like our best attacking outlet right now. I think rotating our form players risks derailing their form. We're out of the EFL cup, we're effectively out of the CL. Barring the odd break during the congested Christmas period I'd be starting him in every league game while he's playing like this.
Garnacho won't be in red hot form all season, just at the start of the season, general feeling was Garnacho isn't ready to start but good to be a bench option. He is a young player and there will be ups and downs.

Also might be wrong, but Ronaldo mins was managed very well, Beckham didn't play at Garnacho's age, Keane was record breaking transfer and was already seasoned player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The CLub also need to think long-term, what kind of playing style they want United to be. If we decide to continue with high-pressing style, United need to ask Rashford if he's willing to change. If yes, he's part of the team. If not, we need to be parted away.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In general, we have been not been clinical at all this season, and offer little goal threat against top teams. That of course includes the games he has started in, but if he was in last season's form, it would be a different matter. He can score against the best of teams consistently, and right now, we don't have a forward to do so.

Scott McTominay purple patch isn't really a sustainable solution for scoring goals. We need a goalscoring forward.
And we’re fecked if the answer is Rashford.

Steve 007

Rashford has let himself down. Consistency is why Kane, ronaldo, Haaland are at the top. A hood season in every two isn’t a top player. Having said that I hope he matures and comes back.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As the OP says, for almost all situations it's a good thing. Look at Fergie's best teams - there was almost aways competition across the top of the pitch, notably with 4 strikers in the squad at most times. As form ebbs and flows, as do minutes for players.

It's now up to Rashford. He can feel sorry for himself, and sulk, and try to get the manager fired so he can be the golden boy again, or he can improve his training, actually finish chances when they come and put in the hard yards, becoming a better footballer and justifying the faith the United hierarchy have put in him. He could, for example, be like Rooney and spend 3 months learning how to head a football. And watch film of elite strikers, where they are in the box, how they move and so forth. And then he's now second choice in two positions, giving him even more chances to get back into the team.

He has the talent and the physical attributes to become better and more consistent. But not all players have the mentality.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A very nice problem for EtH to have.

An on fire Garnacho, or a very talented Rashford.

Rashford has obviously not been in great form so far this season but can still offer a huge amount to our attacking threat, the simple answer is the player in the best form starts, currently that's Garnacho but that won't last forever.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
It's up to Rashford tbh.
He's clearly the better player but Garnacho offers more at the moment. I'd be looking to move on Rashford if I was in charge. He hasn't really shown that he can be the main man (consistently) for us and I would go for an established LW whilst keeping Garnacho in the fold.

Remember the geese

Take a leaf out of Arsenal's book. Persist with Garnacho like Arsenal did with Martinelli. Sell Rashford and sign a reasonably priced alternative (like Trossard) who doesn't expect to start every week, nor has an inflated ego.