Rashford will beat Rooney's record

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
How many goals did Rooney have for us when he was 25? Feels like he'd have been nearer 150?
Rooney also scored 20-30 goals whilst being on life-support after Fergie retired. Rashford may not get the same treatment and be shipped off much sooner. At least I hope so, because those last 2 years were not the sign of a healthy club..

NewYorkRed

Doubt it for a few reasons. For starters obviously he’s not half the player Rooney was. Second, Rooney played in an era where A)we were mostly dominant B)the rest of PL top to bottom wasn’t as good. Lastly, he doesn’t have the finishing ability to consistently get 25+ a year.

Thing is, he is also a different player. He doesn’t need to break Rooney’s record to have a very good ManUtd career. Lets hope he shows some serious consistency now under ETH.

the_cliff

No way.

Once he loses his pace, there won't be much left.
Tend to agree, he's a player that relies heavily on pace, if he does beat the record he'd have to hit at least 200 by the time he's 29.

AndersB

His finishing ability simply isn't good enough for this. If you haven't by 25 added the required calmness to your repertoire, it's likely never going to happen. He still goes for insane power when he could place it to the side of the keeper (something Martial is pretty good at)

ScholesyTheWise

Nah, for him to do that he'll have to score a hefty amount of goals for a winger (where he'll most often play) + stay here for tones of years + be a regular penalty taker.

Not gonna happen.

Todd

10 goal a season in all competitions? You're kidding right? Rashford under EtH can easily average 20 goals a season while he's fit and in his prime for the next 5 years. That's another 100. Getting the last 60 as he's declining is the tough part
It's more about erroring on the side of caution in my predictions for him. If we're gonna get back to competing for the league and being a legitimate CL team every season we need a legitimate goalscorer. Assuming we bring in someone who can score 25-30 goals a season I don't see Rashford tacking on another 20 each season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah, for him to do that he'll have to score a hefty amount of goals for a winger (where he'll most often play) + stay here for tones of years + be a regular penalty taker.

Not gonna happen.
He can do 20 a season (he's done it in 2 of the past 3 and I'd bet on him doing it again this year, and more consistently with Ten Hag). I'd also bet on him being here until retirement or until his steep decline whenever that happens. Doesn't need pens for that. Can see him getting around 200 by the time he's 30/31. So another 50+ in his 30+ years, would depend a lot on his fitness and our manager situation for the next 5-10 years. It's possible, don't think he will quite get there. My guess is he gets to 4th on the list (beats 211), but doesn't get to Law at 237.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He started younger than Rooney and will likely finish his career later than Rooney, but he won’t be as central to our team for such a long time as Rooney, ‘cos he’s simply not as good a footballer as Rooney.

As @Kinky Melinky said, as lovely and romantic as it would be, unless he becomes a super-productive Ronaldo like machine in his late 20s/early 30s, it’d be a bit of a worry for us to be relying on a slower 30+ year old Rashford in 5/6/7 years.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'd honest to God be depressed if Rashford was a our main attacking option over the next 8 seasons. Superb goal today, but he's not a patch on some of the forwards we have had over the years.
I half agree with you, but how many wide forwards did we have that were so productive as Rashford is?

Foxbatt

I half agree with you, but how many wide forwards did we have that were so productive as Rashford is?
In the past? Quite a few. Way much better than Rashford.
But it's a different game now. Rashford is not a winger like we used to have on the flanks. So those players create a lot more for the strikers instead of scoring themselves.

Will Singh

This will all be down to how he develops under ETH, you can already see the difference in his play especially headers . If he continues on this trajectory then I think he can do it or at least get very close.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Players all develop at different rates. Rashford had a really difficult times with injuries the last two years. At 25 he could be about to enter the best period of his career, with better decision making and composure to go with his physical attributes The only thing to do is wait and see his trajectory over this season and next. He’s a player I like a lot but a player who is at that point in his career where he has to developmentally take the next step forwards.

People lambasting him or asking for him to be released are bonkers to be honest. The time may come for that, but it isn’t right now. Let’s see him have a good, injury free season under a top coach and see how he develops before we rush to conclusions.

Talk of passing Rooney’s record is as silly and premature as the posts calling him shit and to be released/sold. In general, calmer heads need to prevail, which I know is asking the impossible on an internet fan forum.

The truth is that it is okay if he ends up somewhere between Rooney and utter doghsit. That’s the fate of most players, and that doesn’t make them without value. Let’s just see how he does this season eh?

3KDré

He's managed 20+ goals for 2 seasons before under an inferior coach. If all goes to plan I could see him adding another 80-100 under Ten Hag in the next 5 years (hopefully he stays for a while and Rashford improves under him). He does take care of his body well as well so it is all just a matter of when his pace goes really.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How many goals did Rooney have for us when he was 25? Feels like he'd have been nearer 150?
Rooney was a heavy drinker who was more or less finished at 29. Hopefully Rashford can stay much fitter for longer.

RedCurry

If he can thump those headers a few times in a season, starts finding a few tap-ins consistently then he surely can. You have to realize that Rashford had next to no real coaching since his debut for first team. This is the first manager who is working with his skills and trying to improve on his weaknesses rather than just asking him to run real fast.

Withnail

Players all develop at different rates. Rashford had a really difficult times with injuries the last two years. At 25 he could be about to enter the best period of his career, with better decision making and composure to go with his physical attributes The only thing to do is wait and see his trajectory over this season and next. He’s a player I like a lot but a player who is at that point in his career where he has to developmentally take the next step forwards.

People lambasting him or asking for him to be released are bonkers to be honest. The time may come for that, but it isn’t right now. Let’s see him have a good, injury free season under a top coach and see how he develops before we rush to conclusions.

Talk of passing Rooney’s record is as silly and premature as the posts calling him shit and to be released/sold. In general, calmer heads need to prevail, which I know is asking the impossible on an internet fan forum.

The truth is that it is okay if he ends up somewhere between Rooney and utter doghsit. That’s the fate of most players, and that doesn’t make them without value. Let’s just see how he does this season eh?
Couldn't agree more.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In the past? Quite a few. Way much better than Rashford.
But it's a different game now. Rashford is not a winger like we used to have on the flanks. So those players create a lot more for the strikers instead of scoring themselves.
Care to name them?

Well, obviously other than Ronaldo.

OpenIntrovert

He certainly has the attributes to score at least 20 to 30 goals a season. His only issue is decision making with the ball and also his finishing (he is a good shooter of the ball but finishing is about placement). If he can work out his finishing skills, his potential can rise higher.

Giggsy13

Love this positivity :drool:
:lol:

I love Rashford but just being realistic. I think we underestimate how difficult it will be for any player to surpass Rooney's record. Rashford relies a lot on pace and remains an erratic finisher at times and those factors will eventually cause him to fall short. I think he will eventually pass Scholes, Giggs and Best, which puts him in some very special company, but passing the likes of Law and Charlton is going to be a significant challenge.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd honest to God be depressed if Rashford was a our main attacking option over the next 8 seasons. Superb goal today, but he's not a patch on some of the forwards we have had over the years.
Unfortunately, the same thing went through my mind. Maybe because we have been tainted by his inconsistency. If he finally gets going and gets a consistent run of form then I’d love if he’s part of our attacking set up for the next 8 years. We’ve seen this purple patch from Rashford before, he just needs to prolong it into “consistency”.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rooney was a heavy drinker who was more or less finished at 29. Hopefully Rashford can stay much fitter for longer.
Not sure he was a "heavy" drinker was he?
Heavy compared to near tee total athletes maybe, but not heavy on any realistic level.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure he was a "heavy" drinker was he?
Heavy compared to near tee total athletes maybe, but not heavy on any realistic level.
He sunk 10 pints on his day off on England duty. You have to be a fairly heavy drinker to think that’s a normal thing to do when you’re away with work.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
He may scrape it to 200 goals at best I think, which honestly will still be a remarkable achievement something he should be proud of.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It makes Ronaldo's achievements seem even more absurd.

Nicolarra90

It's possible.

For all good Rooney was, his record is not really that great. He should've had over 300 goals at least.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
This is not happening. But 100 goals at the age of 24 mostly in dysfunctional and underperforming teams is a fantastic achievement.

Threesus

There is no way that rashford can beat Rooney’s record. If the guy in HMP had had his head straight, he might have done it.

What about McNeil from the academy? Heard he was a goal machine.

Shimo

Think he'll do well to get to 175 and fantastic to get to 200. By the time he is 30, he either won't be a regular starter for us or he'll have moved some place else.

That's Unless he suddenly becomes a regular 25-30 goal scorer in the next couple seasons. If the club has learned from the last 10ish years, they'll be looking to bring in a replacement should he not be.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He'd need to hit 20 a season until 32ish it could happen if he's coached well and develops to be a top tier player. But that would be against his current strength, counters and pace.

I worry about the later stages of his career when he loses his pace.

Issue for Rashford is he needs to improve multiple aspects like his passing play.

OrcaFat

He is a good player who has off days and sometimes plays great. He can certainly improve and I could see him having several 20-goal seasons in the next five or six years. But he won’t do it every year and I think he’ll have done amazingly well if he gets to 200.