Rashford's red card - correct decision or badly done by VAR again?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's not even made a challenge. He's stepped on him. No one is getting a broken ankle from anything like that. Never a red card.

evil_geko

Shielding the ball doesn’t mean you endanger the player. Intentional or not that was an ankle breaker.
He wasn't endangerining the player, the player decided to slip his foot there, he endangered himself.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He was never not going to get a red card for that. 5/10 years ago? Yeah probably. But in todays game? Not a chance.
His foot is literally 3 inches off the floor when he makes contact because the player slid his leg under his foot. You can’t call that a high boot. Clueless

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Shielding the ball doesn’t mean you endanger the player. Intentional or not that was an ankle breaker.
By this logic, literally everytime you put your foot across/over the ball to shield it you have endangered your opponent.

If the Copenhagen lad puts his foot a yard to the left and doesn't get stood on, does anyone think that Rashford has made a dangerous challenge? Of course not.

Thom Merrilin

The total bias on here is just ridiculous. You lot can never cry again when one of our players is on the end of an unintentional but dangerous tackle (and it will inevitably happen) because you have made it clear tonight that as long as it is not a player's intention to hurt another player, it can't ever be a red card.
If the exact same thing happens against a United player I'll demand a red card because of the precedent thats been set. I don't think what Rashford did should be a red but apparently it is. It's a case of what should be vs. reality imo.

Swiss_Red89

The point is: VAR doesn't need to take action for it imo as it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. VAR is just not used correctly in England and in Europe as well.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Reposting this from the matchday thread:

Here are the reasons a referee can issue a red card:

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR)

Rashford didn't deny a goal or obvious goal-scoring opportunity, didn't bite or spit, didn't use offensive language, didn't receive a second yellow, and didn't enter the video operation room.

That leaves us with it being either violent conduct or serious foul play.

Here's the definition of violent conduct:

Violent conduct
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
And it clearly wasn't that.

So that leaves serious foul play:

Serious foul play
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
Firstly, it wasn't even a tackle or challenge. He had possession of the ball and was shielding it. However he was challenged by the opponent.

Secondly, as I pointed out, that exact motion to shield the ball will happen many times a match. The only way it "endangers the safety of an opponent" is if an opponent is simply incredibly unlucky in how their own challenge positions their leg in relation to the player shielding the ball. It's a massive, massive stretch to try and fit shielding the ball into this definition of serious foul play.

It's there to stop players flying into tackles and then going "I won the ball" after glancing it slightly. Not punish a player because an opponent happened to stick his leg under their studs.

As for the rest of it, it wasn't "excessive force or brutality" and it wasn't a lunge.

kaku06

It's not a challenge though, he had the ball. Completely ridiculous decision. And the way VAR frames decisions like that for the ref is just a disgrace. That sort of evidence isn't allowed in courtrooms as it's well known that slow motion biases the watcher into thinking actions are intentional, never mind starting at the point of contact. It's a kangaroo court at that point, particularly if the ref has no balls which none of them do.
Completely ridiculous? He was moving with his studs up on another player’s ankle with weight behind it. Again, intentional or not that’s dangerous play. On another day that would break the ankle. How’s that completely ridiculous?

Laurencio

The rules
SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
serious foul play
biting or spitting at someone
violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
receiving a second caution in the same match
entering the video operation room (VOR)
So a red card requires either
SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
Or

VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
While a caution, a yellow card, should be given if the player...

commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
The lack of force, intent of a challenge, Marcus' unawareness and the fact that it was committed while shielding the ball should constitute a reckless action, not a serious foul.

Wolfbot

Can understand why it was a red although it was clearly totally accidental. The bigger issue is that if that's a red then all of the ridiculous flying challenges that happen every week need to be a red as well and not many are given. Havertz at the weekend was a prime recent example, he missed with the flying foot but it was obviously a wild lunge and dangerous.

It's a different competition I know but these things need to be standardised across the game. You either need to send all players off for dangerous play whether intentional or not, or start giving yellows where it's clearly accidental. This current model of sometimes a red, sometimes a yellow, sometimes ignored simply isn't fair on the clubs getting reds which change games.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Completely ridiculous? He was moving with his studs up on another player’s ankle with weight behind it. Again, intentional or not that’s dangerous play. On another day that would break the ankle. How’s that completely ridiculous?
Because it's literally only endangered the other player because the other player is making a challenge in a very specific way. Yes, on another day that breaks an ankle, but 99% of the time he just plants his foot on the ground, as he intended to do.

Parma Dewol

It would seem such incidents are debated when there’s a risk of serious injury. I keep hearing “he could have broken his ankle.” That’s true, but bad injuries are part and parcel of competitive sport, they can’t be entirely eliminated.

Even if Rashford had broken his ankle, it still wasn’t a red card. Would have been horrible for the injured player, but accidents happen.

Opinions seem more easily swayed when ankles are involved.

In this incident a while back, Luiz nearly killed Jiminez, broke the poor chap’s skull and his career has never been the same. It was an accident, it happens, this is supposed to be sport. Luiz was correctly not booked.

kaku06

By this logic, literally everytime you put your foot across/over the ball to shield it you have endangered your opponent.

If the Copenhagen lad puts his foot a yard to the left and doesn't get stood on, does anyone think that Rashford has made a dangerous challenge? Of course not.
Nobody is saying he deliberately was trying to endanger the player. But unintentionally he did endanger the player with his movement just like a defender gives a handball penalty unintentionally with the movement of his arms. Rashford stood on his ankle with weight behind it. If it was other way around this forum would be screaming for red card.

goalscholes

Never a red. Ref saw it clearly.

VAR judges the outcome and ignores the fact that players do the same exact action all the time.

The only reason this was different was because the Copenhagen player, unbeknownst to Rashford, slid his leg in the way.

It’s as much a red as a clash of heads or sticking your leg under a player who’s jumping for a corner

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It would seem such incidents are debated when there’s a risk of serious injury. I keep hearing “he could have broken his ankle.” That’s true, but bad injuries are part and parcel of competitive sport, they can’t be entirely eliminated.

Even if Rashford had broken his ankle, it still wasn’t a red card. Would have been horrible for the injured player, but accidents happen.

Opinions seem more easily swayed when ankles are involved.

In this incident a while back, Luiz nearly killed Jiminez, broke the poor chap’s skull and his career has never been the same. It was an accident, it happens, this is supposed to be sport. Luiz was correctly not booked.
Eugh, spoiler that grotesque stuff. I had almost forgotten that.

Mike Smalling

Apparently we’ve just gotten to the point that if studs connect with ankles, for whatever reason, it’s a red card.

antk

The argument can be broken down in simple terms:
  • Was it a foul?
  • Was it dangerous for the fouled player?
If you are answering yes to both those questions, it's an obvious red card, as defined by the serious foul play definition some have weirdly been quoting as if it helped their points.
Conversely, if you're answering no to either of them, I don't know what footage you've been watching because you are delusional.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Its orange as one of the mods stated. On that slowed down close up image the referee looked at in the screen, its a red. But in general play the ref saw nothing wrong with it. Context is everything - he was trying to shield the ball.

I think they will have to stop showing the close up slowed down replays. If you did that for every single challenge you could make an argument for all of them.

OmarUnited4ever

Red card, bit harsh as Rashford's intention was to put himself between the ball and player but he totally misjudged it and his studs went into the player's ancle, ref had no choice but to give it since VAR brought it up.

Drainy

The argument can be broken down in simple terms:
  • Was it a foul?
  • Was it dangerous for the fouled player?
If you are answering yes to both those questions, it's an obvious red card, as defined by the serious foul play definition some have weirdly been quoting as if it helped their points.
Conversely, if you're answering no to either of them, I don't know what footage you've been watching because you are delusional.
You can get injured in an innocuous challenge, so all challenges can be dangerous, potentially.

It's a subjective call of what is undue risk of injury. The people who think it's not a red would consider the lack of force used, the people who say it's a red focus on the studs up. You can see why it's given, but it's not some brutal challenge that gets a red every time.

Gawge

When VAR was first being tested we were promised it would take an average of 6 seconds and be used once every 4 or 5 games…

VAR poring over everything that could possibly result in a red card, penalty or goal disallowal is not what was intended and is absolutely terrible for the game.

If the red was given in real time I could see why, there was no reason at all to get VAR on this though. Ruining the game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can you explain how that was in any way “studs up”?

Hughie77

The way VAR is being used it's a fecking joke.. if he's making a challenge for the ball I'd say OK.. the guy stepping over the ball to protect it and stands on the guy.. there was no appeals from players it was just VAR slowing it down to look worse as always.. .. another game it's not seen or given .. I've given up on VAR

BestRed

Not in a million years a red card, the game is fecked with these bellends making these decisions against still screen images without taking any context into consideration.

suheilsworld

Never a red and changed the game and morale. Horrible refereeing tonight and we were once again at the end of all the bad decisions

Unam333

It was the correct decision, but that guy who elbowed Hojlund should have gotten a red as well. At least a Var check, but Nope.

kaku06

Can you explain how that was in any way “studs up”?
His studs are above the ground and on the ankle of the player. What would you call it then? It’s not a de Jong on Alonso but it’s still foot on the ankle or just above with him catching the player with his studs landing on the ankle.

Dominos

People are looking at this from the wrong frame again.

Stop giving the refs a reason to give you a "soft" red.

If you don't forcefully plant your studs on the opposition's shin, then the ref can't send you off. I don't believe for a second you can't avoid nearly breaking someone's ankle.

It was clumsy, be more responsible with your surroundings. 22 players started the game and 21 of them somehow managed to not forcefully plant their studs on anyone's shin.

I thought the same when Casemiro planted his studs mid-shin last season. Tackle in a more responsible manner, everyone else on the pitch that day managed to not roll over the top of the ball.

At some point you have to stop moaning about being unlucky with the refs and start taking responsibility to make sure they don't have a decision to make.

Rhetorik

not a red, an accident (no intent). VAR deliberately freeze frame to influence the on field ref's decision. Not a clear and obvious error. VAR is now being used for unclear and dubious decisions.

RedIan

Clearly he had no intention to hurt or even foul but it did look awful. In the premier league he may have just got away with it but in Europe no.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I must not know the laws anymore because I've been told that's a clear red card. I've read the law quickly and I think it falls under this:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

I just don't see it tbh.

Now a penalty ffs
Has anyone responded to this properly as to why they think this is the most obvious red card ever with reference to the rules?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's absolutely fecking ridiculous that Rashford was sent off while Udogie was allowed to continue - obviously different competitions and blah blah blah but the point remains that if referees are making decisions based on outcomes it's a huge plague on the game. Judging these things on the outcome and not the action is beyond idiotic - Sterling should have left his leg in to get broken for the red to be given?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People are looking at this from the wrong frame again.

Stop giving the refs a reason to give you a "soft" red.

If you don't forcefully plant your studs on the opposition's shin, then the ref can't send you off. I don't believe for a second you can't avoid nearly breaking someone's ankle.

It was clumsy, be more responsible with your surroundings. 22 players started the game and 21 of them somehow managed to not forcefully plant their studs on anyone's shin.

I thought the same when Casemiro planted his studs mid-shin last season. Tackle in a more responsible manner, everyone else on the pitch that day managed to not roll over the top of the ball.

At some point you have to stop moaning about being unlucky with the refs and start taking responsibility to make sure they don't have a decision to make.
So what should Marcus do? Not protect the ball?

eire-red

Who cares to be honest. I'm sure there were 5 other tackles like that in the other games this week that weren't.

Game is gone and this season has been like a parody, week in week out. If it wasn't the red, it probably would have been some other brainless decision from either VAR or one of our other players.

Truth is that we got back in front from a ridiculous pen in the second half and then hit self implode in those last 10 minutes. It's pathetic really.

Why do we even bother watching a sport that has literally the worst standard of officiating of anything out there, all the while suffering watching a team that have literally not put together a single 45 mins of a decent performance in almost 4 months of football this season.