View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m still convinced he will come good. Not scoring in the league is probably a mental thing at the moment. Once he scores one, he will take off

Skills

Snitch
It's a delicate balance into playing him into goalscoring form and confidence, and also continually mounting pressure onto as he keeps going games without scoring.

Not sure what the best way is to manage it. You could end up with a Forlan situation.

Catron

He is supposed to be a striker. If an average player like Mctominay can score 5 Premier League goals, there should be no excuses.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's a delicate balance into playing him into goalscoring form and confidence, and also continually mounting pressure onto as he keeps going games without scoring.

Not sure what the best way is to manage it. You could end up with a Forlan situation.
I think we're already in a Forlan situation.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Physically he looks good and the shot he had early on was well taken. My worry is that the club need a 20 goal a season striker to lead the line and we are now reliant on Hojlund, which is unfair for a 20 year old in a new league and country. I hope that we enter the market for an experienced striker in January and take some of the pressure off of him.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Sometimes it feels like our players are ignoring him on purpose. He's almost always on the shoulder of the centre back ready to cut across him or dash in behind for a tap in. But it seems the only balls actually going his way are mishit shots he's stretching to get on the end of.

From a tactical point of view he had a good game, bending his pressing runs correctly most of the time to guide Chelsea's passes into the areas we wanted. He tends to drag a defender or two with him making space for others in the box.

Also, every game we seem to hit a few not -very-long long passes to no one in particular and an easy interception for the opponent. Why not get it all the way over the top of we're hitting it long anyway? Give Højlund something to chase and their defence facing the wrong way.
There were 2 or 3 good balls tonight that he failed to get on the end of and what on earth was he doing stood on tbe goalline when McTominay scored our first
He was clearly gambling on a rebound from Maguire's finish. Exactly what you'd expect from your striker. Weird criticism.

Baneofthegame

So if he is constantly making great runs, why is it Mctominay was found with passes several times but Rasmus once? You think his team don't trust him and would rather look for Mctominay or he was just horrible unlucky again? I like the player but he doesn't seem on the same wave length with the others yet, sniffing out where the ball will drop etc, again I believe it will come
From my own memory of the game there were two crosses Garnacho wasted they he made good runs for and two from Bruno.

He makes great runs, he’s just not receiving the ball, we can point to Scott but if you look at both his goals Hojlund is making a run for the cross in the first one, the second one it’s just over his head and Scott puts it away. It will come for him eventually.

Betson

Like others I think he has a lot of potential , but sooner or later strikers need to start scoring ,even younger ones like him.

No supply excuse won't cut it long term , there are a lot of strikers in the league who don't get many chances lined up for them but they are still managing to score.

Quality strikers always find a way no matter how the team are playing , he needs to start stepping up.

Baneofthegame

Sometimes it feels like our players are ignoring him on purpose. He's almost always on the shoulder of the centre back ready to cut across him or dash in behind for a tap in. But it seems the only balls actually going his way are mishit shots he's stretching to get on the end of.

From a tactical point of view he had a good game, bending his pressing runs correctly most of the time to guide Chelsea's passes into the areas we wanted. He tends to drag a defender or two with him making space for others in the box.

Also, every game we seem to hit a few not -very-long long passes to no one in particular and an easy interception for the opponent. Why not get it all the way over the top of we're hitting it long anyway? Give Højlund something to chase and their defence facing the wrong way.

He was clearly gambling on a rebound from Maguire's finish. Exactly what you'd expect from your striker. Weird criticism.
Great post.

RedUnited86

I like Højlund , but I wonder how many league goals Kane would have scored for us by the first week of December.

Craig Ward

The floodgates will open for him soon.

This lad has plenty of goals in him,

His movement is very good, reminds me of Ruud a little. Even if he doesn't get on the end of things, his movement is creating space for other's.

He's a hard worker too.

Trust me - goals are coming

Woziak

Rasmus is struggling in the EPL but he’s still learning the teams patterns of play. He’s had to deal with Serie A and then the PL in quick succession after playing in Austrian Bunderliga for Stum Graz the previous season.

I remember him saying that Chris Smalling was one of his most difficult opponents in Italy because of his speed and physicality. Now in the PL, he’s dealing with one or two Centre Backs like that in every game and most PL teams are very solid defensively. He needs to be rotated to keep him fresh and hopefully United buy another number 9 early in the January window.

He’s doing much better in the Champions League because teams are slightly more open in that competition due to the necessity to win 3 points and qualify for the next round, teams like Galatasaray and Copenhagen leave huge spaces at the back when they attack.

His work rate is excellent, his touch needs improving and he’s a big strong lad that needs to use his size just a bit more in games to push opponents off the ball. His shooting also needs work, he’s not shooting low into the corners and he could be much better in opposition box with the timing of his runs to score more tap ins.

Right now I’d say he’s at about 40-50% of his potential, and he could be a truly elite CFW with 1-2 years work and practice, the real question are United the team to spend the time working on his current weaknesses and developing him, I’m not so sure ?

MiracleInMadrid

Obviously needs to get his goalscoring in the league started, but so far I'm very pleased with him. He's present in the box, make runs, presses well, has an eye for his teammates in the build up and fights hard.

Hadn't it been for him, McTominay wouldn't find himself with the amount of space in the box he does. Martial sure as hell wouldn't distract the opponents' defence the way he does. The striker sometimes adds value to a team that way around. The defenders will always prioritize marking him.
There's been plenty of examples of midfielders a la McTominay scoring buckets of goals by playing of the striker and timing runs into the box right. I remember Dele Alli having a freak season while playing behind Kane, to mention an example.

Of course you can't have a striker who doesn't score any goals, but the other parts of his game needs to be reconized. The goals will come.

Lyng

So if he is constantly making great runs, why is it Mctominay was found with passes several times but Rasmus once? You think his team don't trust him and would rather look for Mctominay or he was just horrible unlucky again? I like the player but he doesn't seem on the same wave length with the others yet, sniffing out where the ball will drop etc, again I believe it will come
I would love to ask Bruno why

Skills

Snitch
I don't think so. The fact that he's scored regularly in the CL, been out injured a few times and the team going through a lean patch itself muddies waters a lot in his benefit. Also the fact that the one other legitimate goalscorer we have a the club can't seem to hit a barn door too probably eases the pressure off him too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Rasmus is struggling in the EPL but he’s still learning the teams patterns of play. He’s had to deal with Serie A and then the PL in quick succession after playing in Austrian Bunderliga for Stum Graz the previous season.

I remember him saying that Chris Smalling was one of his most difficult opponents in Italy because of his speed and physicality. Now in the PL, he’s dealing with one or two Centre Backs like that in every game and most PL teams are very solid defensively. He needs to be rotated to keep him fresh and hopefully United buy another number 9 early in the January window.

He’s doing much better in the Champions League because teams are slightly more open in that competition due to the necessity to win 3 points and qualify for the next round, teams like Galatasaray and Copenhagen leave huge spaces at the back when they attack.

His work rate is excellent, his touch needs improving and he’s a big strong lad that needs to use his size just a bit more in games to push opponents off the ball. His shooting also needs work, he’s not shooting low into the corners and he could be much better in opposition box with the timing of his runs to score more tap ins.

Right now I’d say he’s at about 40-50% of his potential, and he could be a truly elite CFW with 1-2 years work and practice, the real question are United the team to spend the time working on his current weaknesses and developing him, I’m not so sure ?
It's also worth noting that he spent the first half of his season at Atalanta on the bench. Then he became a starter after Christmas.

Lentwood

Honestly think it will click for him. I counted three times he was a split second away from getting on the end of a cross. They will start falling for him eventually

sugar_kane

You can tell there's a player there waiting to burst out, he just needs a bit of luck and a confidence boost.

It's hard to see exactly why the chance creation for him is so poor, and some of that has to be down to his own off the ball movement, but he's shown in the CL what he is capable of.

It's a shame we don't have another capable striker for him to deputise for, it feels like he needs to be eased in off the bench like Garnacho was in his first season.

Even the ABU pundits have a hard time criticising him, which suggests they can see he's just been unlucky so far or don't want to write him off and look like idiots in 12 months.

Bondi77

I like Højlund , but I wonder how many league goals Kane would have scored for us by the first week of December.
He doesn't normally start to quick when he plays in England but he gets better as the season progresses

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I really hope he scores every game of course but that first one in the Prem will do him wonders.

As has already been intimated, he's making the right runs and doing the right things because we can see there's talent there. Just needs that goal.

I hope it's against Bournemouth cause I'll be there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Let’s think about that statement.

Forlan was competing with Ruud and Solskjaer.

Hojlund is competing with McTominay and Martial. He has every opportunity in the world to make this role his. But at the moment it feels we should be in the market for Toney or Watkins.

DavelinaJolie

Some of the opportunities weren't great to be honest, the one Garnacho fired across goal was just a bit too far ahead of him.

Not sure what to make of Hojlund though, his energy in pressing is great and closed down a lot of passing lanes, and he keeps making the runs into dangerous areas. I hope things just eventually click for him.

arthurka

I thought he was very good last night, he did all the right things.
The goals will come when our team will start to play like they have a hardworking goalscorer upfront.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I do feel like when he gets one he will get a few and some will be important. I really rate him, but we aren’t helping him.

Rossa

He's definitely one of those players that make our overall game better. His pressing, running the channels, ability to hold the ball and outmuscle defenders are all vital to us retaining and winning the ball high up the pitch. He needs to score more and/or the wide attackers need to contribute more. Firmino was not an issue scoring few when you had Mane and Salah ranking up goals from wide.

Red00012

There was plenty of crosses put in last night and he was nowhere to be seen . Granted some of the crosses were crap but he needs to stand next to the last defender a lot more . Garnacho puts a ball across in the 1st half and he’s nowhere near it . I feel like he’d learn a lot from Van Nistelrooy

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I like him - he's still learning the job, but I can only see him getting better at it.

tomaldinho1

I like him but people saying "We only created him 1 shot", why did Mctominay get so many more? A lot of it has to be movement, positioning and runs and he clearly isn't up to it yet, no doubt he will get there and the effort was there too but it was a very average performance from a young player in a new team and that's Okay.
Because they play in completely different roles? It's like me asking you why did Bruno get so many touches of the ball compared to Hojlund, the answer is obvious.

bitcoin

I think there are signs that he will come good.

He is getting into the right positions.
He is alert and anticipating keeper spills from shots.
Has excellent work rate, so will force errors from the opposition, even if he isn't the direct beneficiary if we score.
Good attitude (so far) - don't seem him flailing his arms around, or having a sulk if he doesn't get the ball. He just moves on to the next chance.
He is tall, fast and strong, and can back into defenders to hold the ball up.
Seems to have decent technique too.

The goals will almost certainly come. It's not like we have another Weghorst on our hands - he is levels above.

Jev

Because they play in completely different roles? It's like me asking you why did Bruno get so many touches of the ball compared to Hojlund, the answer is obvious.
It’s not the same at all, no. It’s easier to understand that a playmaker is getting a lot of touches than it is to understand why a CM is getting to way more crosses than a lone striker.

It’s commendable that people are going easy on Højlund but it’s also painfully obvious that, as those of us who knew him warned ahead of the season, no part of his game, from movement to hold-up play, is currently good enough for a starting United striker, and it was a mistake to sign him for such a role. We’re setting him up to fail.

tomaldinho1

It’s not the same at all, no. It’s easier to understand that a playmaker is getting a lot of touches than it is to understand why a CM is getting to way more crosses than a lone striker.

It’s commendable that people are going easy on Højlund but it’s also painfully obvious that, as those of us who knew him warned ahead of the season, no part of his game, from movement to hold-up play, is currently good enough for a starting United striker, and it was a mistake to sign him for such a role. We’re setting him up to fail.
I would think you were correct but we've seen him in the CL doing very well and just from watching the game yesterday I'd say you are wrong because he was very close to a few tap ins. His movement is generally very good, hold up is not though, he needs to be a bit more selfish in my opinion.

DanClancy

There was plenty of crosses put in last night and he was nowhere to be seen . Granted some of the crosses were crap but he needs to stand next to the last defender a lot more . Garnacho puts a ball across in the 1st half and he’s nowhere near it . I feel like he’d learn a lot from Van Nistelrooy
Most of the crosses were very poor, McTominay scored from one of the better crosses from Garnacho and he should have scored from one from Fernandes. Othe then that I can't recall any crosses where Hojlund should have been on the end of, Dalot pulled on back for Garnacho which would have been a chance if he'd not hit it so hard and Regullon pulled one back for Garnacho. Antony's crossing is appalling on the rare occasion he puts one in, Shaw should be a help but he's not got going at left back when he's played there.

Conor

I like him but people saying "We only created him 1 shot", why did Mctominay get so many more? A lot of it has to be movement, positioning and runs and he clearly isn't up to it yet, no doubt he will get there and the effort was there too but it was a very average performance from a young player in a new team and that's Okay.
It's much easier for McTominay to get a chance than for our main striker, in fairness. Hojlund will have 1 or more players stuck to him at all times.

Zed is not dead

Maybe because it’s easier when you come in late into the box when the defenders are dragged in by another player?

Also I love how people are casually ignoring that he scored 5 in the CL to argue that a striker needs to score goals

Doracle

He's definitely one of those players that make our overall game better. His pressing, running the channels, ability to hold the ball and outmuscle defenders are all vital to us retaining and winning the ball high up the pitch. He needs to score more and/or the wide attackers need to contribute more. Firmino was not an issue scoring few when you had Mane and Salah ranking up goals from wide.
Firmino helps the wide goalscorers though, as he’s very creative and would contribute heavily to them scoring those goals. Hojlund is a pure goalscorer, who contributes little at this stage of his career to our actual creative play. Hopefully that will come as his career develops so he’s at least functional in that regard (I don’t think he’ll ever be a Kane or Firmino).