2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Malone_Post

I like the kid, but there’s a lot of excuses being made for the fact it’s December and he still hasn’t scored a single PL goal. Young or not, that’s not good enough.

Litch

Good lad but hung out to dry. Should have been the understudy rather than the starter.

podurban2

Who was the last player signed from Serie A to do well in the Premier League? Seems like the ‘Bundesliga tax’ could equally apply to Serie A…Premier League level is just higher than everywhere else and Utds scouting team (is that a thing?) are not adept enough at picking out the right ones to bet on.
Isak, Tonali. Seria A has nothing to do with it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He is great. Running a lot and almost scoring a lot is what i love with strikers. We should have kept Wout and play him with Hojlund. New Cole-Yorke duo.
A Ras and Wout partnership, or ‘RAW’ to give it a fitting acronym.

Imagine how many goals we’d almost score… :drool:

And the excuses would be on an elite level after each game -

‘Who else was available for the 100m we paid for each!?’

‘No one could score in this side (ignoring the fact that Scott McTom KEEPS SCORING in this side… and that relegation fodder teams have CFs regularly scoring)’

‘ALL OUR PLAYERS ARE ‘BRAINDEAD AND CRAP’ EXCEPT THESE TWO’

‘They’re both only teenagers - give them a chance ffs’

‘If you can’t see the brilliance in Ras and Wout (or RAW), then it’s YOU who’s crap, not them’.

Give ETH another Summer window and who knows, maybe it’ll happen.

Lee565

‘No one could score in this side (ignoring the fact that Scott McTom KEEPS SCORING in this side… and that relegation fodder teams have CFs regularly scoring)’

‘If you can’t see the brilliance in Ras and Wout (or RAW), then it’s YOU who’s crap, not them’.

You forgot they make runs to create space, something that no other average striker costing less than 30 million has in their locker.......

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
You forgot they make runs to create space, something that no other average striker costing less than 30 million has in their locker.......
Classic, the old Heskey cope from 2008-10 when nobody could figure out why he was starting every game for England.

zaafi

How can you blame a striker for not scoring when we literally have no player creating anything for him? You could put Haaland in this team and he wouldn't score goals for us.

Matt Varnish

How can you blame a striker for not scoring when we literally have no player creating anything for him? You could put Haaland in this team and he wouldn't score goals for us.
It's Ok to blame Martial, so why not Hoijland?

zaafi

We are reaching the concerning territory with him. You can't be in December and score 0 goals in the league. The other thing is I just don't see a striker instinct with him. He works hard and holds the ball well but then on most occasions is hardly seen at the right place.
Natural striker's instinct is exactly what he has and is one of the reasons I'm not worried about him at all. The issue is that we don't have players creating anything for him. As a team, we're genuinely clueless and have no structure or attacking patterns, just individual moments.

Rhyme Animal

Classic, the old Heskey cope from 2008-10 when nobody could figure out why he was starting every game for England.
Substitute Baywatch for ‘watching Utd’ and apply the same logic…

Dec9003

Impressive how wrong you managed to type out his name :lol:

I mean, Martial barely moves around. He doesn't even want chances to be created for him.
Worrying then that he's scored more in the league than our expensive new forward. :nervous:

Rhyme Animal

Impressive how wrong you managed to type out his name :lol:

I mean, Martial barely moves around. He doesn't even want chances to be created for him.
Yet has more PL goals and assists than Hojlund this season… despite playing 353 less minutes (that’s 4 entire matches) than Hojlund…

Also is a technically better player - by far (though still nowhere near good enough to be Utd’s main CF).

zaafi

Worrying then that he's scored more in the league than our expensive new forward. :nervous:
Yet has more PL goals and assists than Hojlund this season… despite playing 353 less minutes (that’s 4 entire matches) than Hojlund…

Also is a technically better player - by far (though still nowhere near good enough to be Utd’s main CF).
No, because that's not how football works. McTominay also has more goals than Julian Alvarez, Jimenez, Awoniyi, Calvert-Lewin and Nunez. Does that make him a better striker or player than these players?

You're forgetting that Højlund has 5 CL goals already plus two ruled out (one incorrectly), it's not like he is incapable of scoring goals. But he is not Agüero who can dribble through an entire defense and score goals by himself, so if he doesn't get enough chances created for him, how can you put the blame on him? Our team is an absolute shambles right now, and no striker would fix this team or score many goals for us.

Oort Cloud

McTominay also has more goals than Julian Alvarez, Jimenez, Awoniyi, Calvert-Lewin and Nunez. Does that make him a better striker or player than these players?
I had to check this to see if it's true and it isn't. Both Alvarez (8) and Nuñez (7) have scored more goals than Scott McTominay so far this season.

frostbite

I can't understand the argument that he doesn't get enough chances. McTominay has scored 5, does he get enough chances? How many goals would McTominay score if he got "enough chances"? Twenty?

The problem is that he is only 20. He may become a great scorer at 24, but that's 4 years away. Right now, he is certainly not worth 70 million, and he is certainly not ready to be the main striker of Man Utd. But we don't have anyone else.

In my opinion, this is a big problem (that we don't have a proper striker) and it was the manager who created this problem. Since we only had Martial, the manager should have demanded an experienced striker in the summer, especially for 70 million. He vetoed De Gea, he got his wish Onana, he made the decisions about the players he wanted. He wanted Hojlund, I have no idea why. It's not the kid's fault, it is the manager who doesn't know what he is doing.

Zed is not dead

Goncalo Ramos or Randal Kolo Muani both of whom are more suited to playing with Fernandes, Rashford, and Garnacho. The team needs a striker that gets involved in the build-up play, Rasmus does not have the technical ability to do that.
I would invite you to watch PSG this season then.
Both Kolo Muani and Ramos are under severe scrutiny from the french pundits and football shows.
Kolo Muani scored 5 in 15 games in all comps, Ramos only scored 3 in all comps. And both are playing in Ligue 1 for the objectively way better team of the league.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I can't understand the argument that he doesn't get enough chances. McTominay has scored 5, does he get enough chances? How many goals would McTominay score if he got "enough chances"? Twenty?

The problem is that he is only 20. He may become a great scorer at 24, but that's 4 years away. Right now, he is certainly not worth 70 million, and he is certainly not ready to be the main striker of Man Utd. But we don't have anyone else.

In my opinion, this is a big problem (that we don't have a proper striker) and it was the manager who created this problem. Since we only had Martial, the manager should have demanded an experienced striker in the summer, especially for 70 million. He vetoed De Gea, he got his wish Onana, he made the decisions about the players he wanted. He wanted Hojlund, I have no idea why. It's not the kid's fault, it is the manager who doesn't know what he is doing.
Manager did want to sign another striker but didn't get one. He talked about it publicly.

frostbite

Manager did want to sign another striker but didn't get one. He talked about it publicly.
It doesn't matter who he "wanted to sign", it is only rumors anyway. It matters that he signed Hojlund for 70 million and he is our only striker now. ETH doesn't know what he is doing.

Dec9003

No, because that's not how football works. McTominay also has more goals than Julian Alvarez, Jimenez, Awoniyi, Calvert-Lewin and Nunez. Does that make him a better striker or player than these players?

You're forgetting that Højlund has 5 CL goals already plus two ruled out (one incorrectly), it's not like he is incapable of scoring goals. But he is not Agüero who can dribble through an entire defense and score goals by himself, so if he doesn't get enough chances created for him, how can you put the blame on him? Our team is an absolute shambles right now, and no striker would fix this team or score many goals for us.
If Martial has scored more goals and he's apparently not willing to run or not wanting chances it is worrying that our new striker can't outscore him in the league.

zaafi

If Martial has scored more goals and he's apparently not willing to run or not wanting chances it is worrying that our new striker can't outscore him in the league.
He has scored a single goal where he was one on one with the keeper. Super impressive. Maybe our players should create chances like that for Højlund consistently too.

Green Army

Supports
Plymouth Argyle
There is absolutely no doubting Hojlund’s work rate or his ability, I just feel that you have signed the wrong type of Striker for the style of play which you currently have.

Fernando Torres at Liverpool was an incredible scoring machine because they adopted their style of play to suit his strengths. Very often Gerrard would pick up the ball and hit a 70 yard pass into the channel because he knew Torres would have the intuition, pace and strength to make something out of it . When Torres joined Chelsea , their style of play was much slower, preferring to go through the midfield which stripped Torres of one of his main assets - he didn’t become a poor striker overnight, just one which didn’t play a slower style.

Hojlund also had the power and pace and would probably score lots in the current Man City or Liverpool sides where they consistently create.

I think that Darwin Nunez has scored 7 in all competitions this season - does this mean he is a better Striker than Hojlund or just benefiting from an increased number of chances?

Bobski

There is absolutely no doubting Hojlund’s work rate or his ability, I just feel that you have signed the wrong type of Striker for the style of play which you currently have.

Fernando Torres at Liverpool was an incredible scoring machine because they adopted their style of play to suit his strengths. Very often Gerrard would pick up the ball and hit a 70 yard pass into the channel because he knew Torres would have the intuition, pace and strength to make something out of it . When Torres joined Chelsea , their style of play was much slower, preferring to go through the midfield which stripped Torres of one of his main assets - he didn’t become a poor striker overnight, just one which didn’t play a slower style.

Hojlund also had the power and pace and would probably score lots in the current Man City or Liverpool sides where they consistently create.

I think that Darwin Nunez has scored 7 in all competitions this season - does this mean he is a better Striker than Hojlund or just benefiting from an increased number of chances?
At this stage Nunez is comfortably better than Hojlund, comedy moments and all.

Rhyme Animal

Darwin is a far better CF than Hojlund at present.

His history before coming to PL is also dramatically superior to Hojlund’s.

Cathy Ferguson

Agreed. ETH has a habit of overpaying for decent talent. Höjlund as our main striker was a huge gamble.

RedRocket9908

Darwin is a far better CF than Hojlund at present.

His history before coming to PL is also dramatically superior to Hojlund’s.
In fairness before joining Liverpool Nunez had only one good season under his belt in a far inferior league then the Serie A that Hojlund played in, that said it is clear that Hojlund isnt the player we needed as he is a goal poacher and we needed a CF that can create and score goals.

Catron

The team only wants to create chances for Mctominay, but they are deliberately ignoring Hojlund.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In fairness before joining Liverpool Nunez had only one good season under his belt in a far inferior league then the Serie A that Hojlund played in, that said it is clear that Hojlund isnt the player we needed as he is a goal poacher and we needed a CF that can create and score goals.
He scored something like 30plus goals in that one season though.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
I would invite you to watch PSG this season then.
Both Kolo Muani and Ramos are under severe scrutiny from the french pundits and football shows.
Kolo Muani scored 5 in 15 games in all comps, Ramos only scored 3 in all comps. And both are playing in Ligue 1 for the objectively way better team of the league.
I would rather have a striker who can pass the ball and create chances, even if he is not scoring goals, than a striker who cannot pass and is not scoring goals.

Dec9003

He has scored a single goal where he was one on one with the keeper. Super impressive. Maybe our players should create chances like that for Højlund consistently too.
Has Martial had more consistent chances when compared to Hojlund?

Rojofiam

Goncalo Ramos or Randal Kolo Muani both of whom are more suited to playing with Fernandes, Rashford, and Garnacho. The team needs a striker that gets involved in the build-up play, Rasmus does not have the technical ability to do that.
Both of those are significantly worse options than Hojlund.

Marwood

That's true of all strikers. They'd all score more in teams that constantly create.

We can overthink football sometines. All strikers basically want the same thing. A good supply.

It doesn't have to be a particular type of supply, it just needs the basics to be done well for them.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Both of those are significantly worse options than Hojlund.
Yeah, none of the other strikers who were realistic options in the summer have caught fire either (Levy would rather have given Kane to Bayern for free than sell to us for 100m, Osimhen would have cost the whole season's transfer budget in one go).

At least Hojlund is younger and has obvious raw tools and potential over the likes of Kolo Muani (probably already at his peak) and Ramos (no standout elite attributes).

zaafi

I had to check this to see if it's true and it isn't. Both Alvarez (8) and Nuñez (7) have scored more goals than Scott McTominay so far this season.
Yes, it is true, because we're talking about the league. If we're talking about every competition, then Højlund has scored 5 goals, and not 0.

zaafi

Has Martial had more consistent chances when compared to Hojlund?
Probably not, but what is your point here? Martial has scored one goal. A football player can literally score a goal with his first touch on the ball within seconds of coming on, but it doesn't mean he is a better player than someone who hasn't scored for several games.

Canagel

I will reserve my judgement on him. He is playing with idiots and clowns that have no clue how to smell a strikers movement and a manager that has no system in place to enable chance creation.

The UCL goals prove he has potential. Direct your frustrations at the right people.

Bobski

I will reserve my judgement on him. He is playing with idiots and clowns that have no clue how to smell a strikers movement and a manager that has no system in place to enable chance creation.

The UCL goals prove he has potential. Direct your frustrations at the right people.
The foot by the ball is the planting foot, by the time his right was through to strike it the space for the pass was much tighter, would probably have been blocked.