g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

BaneIsPain

7/10. It is quite obvious we need a full shakeup in the first eleven after last season. Adding a steel in midfielder and exciting talents like malacia and licha are great.
We can safely overlook the money until we get the correct ETH first 11.

We are hunting for a right back, striker and another midfielder next window.

Ole'sattheWheel

If we made these signings in the first few weeks I'd give it a solid 8/10, but the dilly dallying with FDJ (I know, not really the clubs fault, but still effects our rating imo), those Rabiot/Arnautovic panic bids, not getting rid of some problem players like Ronaldo and massively overpaying for Antony when we could've got him earlier makes me drop it to a 6.5.

Decent but we all knew from the start this squad needed to be built before pre-season to embed ten Hag's playstyle. Cost us those 2 first games which could end up crucial in the race for top 4.

Still need a RB, CF and a CM to get it up to an 8 or above again imo

December_16

Depending on how we’ll play during the season and where we stand at the end of the season, really. All the signings can be completely flopping, so whatever rating now doesn’t mean much. That said, IF all new players can perform to the level we know they can, they easily an 8 or 9/10 for me.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If we made these signings in the first few weeks I'd give it a solid 8/10, but the dilly dallying with FDJ (I know, not really the clubs fault, but still effects our rating imo), those Rabiot/Arnautovic panic bids, not getting rid of some problem players like Ronaldo and massively overpaying for Antony when we could've got him earlier makes me drop it to a 6.5.

Decent but we all knew from the start this squad needed to be built before pre-season to embed ten Hag's playstyle. Cost us those 2 first games which could end up crucial in the race for top 4.

Still need a RB, CF and a CM to get it up to an 8 or above again imo
I think the reality is that we would have landed up overpaying regardless -- for the 1st and definitely even more on the 2nd Ajax player simply because they did not need to sell to start with after losing quite a number of players at the start of the window already.

Ole'sattheWheel

I think the reality is that we would have landed up overpaying regardless -- for the 1st and definitely even more on the 2nd Ajax player simply because they did not need to sell to start with after losing quite a number of players at the start of the window already.
Well just because it was out of our control doesn't mean it doesn't effect the rating (same with my point about FDJ). I'm not so much rating the transfer team's abilities, just the actual window itself from a united fan perspective.

I do agree with you about us needing to have overpaid on Antony regardless however having seen your point

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
On paper we have done very well.

Defensively strong CM - Casemiro
Creative CM (or AM however you describe it) - Eriksen
Left footed aggressive CB - Martinez
Left back - Malacia (didn't think it was priority position but looks like he will be first choice at least for next few games).
Left footed RW - Antony.

That's 5 first team players, which is something we needed.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As my school reports used to say "could do better"... we need a centre forward

AndySmith1990

I'm really happy with the players we've brought in. It's basically half a new team as they're all starters.

However, we've not shifted enough deadwood. We should be selling AWB at a bare minimum and bringing in a RB.

The Ronaldo situation needs resolving too. Agree to a mutual termination and buy a forward, even a cheap option like Depay will do for now.

7.5/10 for now, potentially rising to a 9

It can never be a 10 due to the poor planning, and randomly chasing dross like that racist and Rabiot, as well as wasting significant time pursuing a player who had no intention of joining. But overall the potential train wreck of a window has been avoided.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We’ve bought a cheap high energy LB who has looked great so far and could conceivably improve beyond this over the next 5 years. He’s also got a bit of bastard

A free CM/AM of incredibly high levels of experience, quality and versatility who appears a huge upgrade on Mata.

An absolute bastard of a CB who is confident on the ball and left footed opening up new passing angles for our build up.

The 5 time CL winning (and arguably best) DM in world football in Casemiro.

The best available left footed RW on the market this window who will finally bring balance to the force sorry I mean our attack.

Now we of course still have other positions to strengthen but to have signed 4 starters and 1 starter/eventual high quality squad player (Eriksen) in one window who appear to be exactly what we need to implement the first stages of our tactical changes and mentality improvements I think makes this a very successful window so far.

We still need a RB, CM, ST and GK but I could very conceivably see us getting those in one window next summer (of requisite starting quality) or at least getting some good cheap stop gaps this summer.

I would not be surprised to see Dubravka, Depay and something else turn up before deadline day.

Andy_Cole

It’s probably all we could’ve asked for. Timing was poor as we should’ve got the last 2 signings in for preseason. We still need 2/3 signings but realistically that wasn’t happening in one window.

I’d rate it 8/10. 0.5 knocked down because of timing.

Andy_Cole

8/10

Martinez (CB)
Casemiro (DM)
Malacia (LB)
Antony (RW)
Eriksen (AM/CM)

Good signings - it creates a lot of depth in squad and improves upon what we got rid of in the summer. We were never going to get everyone we need, but it is a very good summer transfer window.

People were jumping the gun with the criticism this window. It doesn't close until September.
To be fair I think the lack of trust with the board is fair from the fans. Plus if we started the season well I could’ve imagined the last 2 signings wouldn’t have happened. Board/ Glazers are very reactive.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s a 6/10 until we resolve the Ronaldo situation. It can’t be anything other than that - our only viable striker is martial who is injured every two minutes. If we can somehow flog Ronaldo and get a top replacement in then it’s a 9 - if we can flog Garner and VDB and get FDJ it’s a 12.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If we get Dubravka, Depay and RB it’s 11/10, best window in the last 20 years.

Alemar

If we can somehow flog Ronaldo and get a top replacement in then it’s a 9 - if we can flog Garner and VDB and get FDJ it’s a 12.
Top replacement for Ronaldo is probably possible (Osimhen), but FDJ ship has sailed, most likely - we have seen what happened when Antony wanted to move. With FDJ we see what happens when a player doesn’t

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Top replacement for Ronaldo is probably possible (Osimhen), but FDJ ship has sailed, most likely - we have seen what happened when Antony wanted to move. With FDJ we see what happens when a player doesn’t
It’s still possible the whole thing is a game of poker over his deferred wages. It was said early on in the saga that it could go right to the end. If he does want to stay on the bench then he’s not the character we want anyway.

Nickosaur

I'd say 6.
Cautiously optimistic that it could be an 8 with a few more signings in the next few days...

Alemar

It’s still possible the whole thing is a game of poker over his deferred wages. It was said early on in the saga that it could go right to the end. If he does want to stay on the bench then he’s not the character we want anyway.
If it does happen we will need to also dispose of one of VDB/Fred

Alemar

It won’t be Fred.
Hopefully not, but VDB won’t be needed whatsoever if FDJ joins.

We will have following options:
CDM: Casemiro / McTominay / Garner
CM / DPL: FDJ / Fred / Eriksen / Iqbal
AM: Bruno / Eriksen / Mejbri

largelyworried

There are planned transfer windows and reactive transfer windows, and planned ones are always better. With a planned window you go into the window on day one knowing exactly what positions you're trying to upgrade and have a shortlist of options for each position. You might even have made contact with the club and player to get a sense of availability and you do so with a clear overview of the age profile of your squad, it's temperaments, the contract length of all your players and so on. We didn't do that.

Then there are reactive transfer windows, where you go into the window, look around to see whose on the market and simply buy the best players you can find. You're driven not by what you need as such, but by simple availability. This is typically substandard - you miss opportunities to other clubs who are streets ahead of you, you end up getting good players that you didn't quite need, missing out on positions you needed to upgrade, and so on.

Obviously there's always a little of both going on. Even the most well planned team will have unexpected injuries or losses of form to address.

We definitely had a reactive transfer window, it was almost scattergun at one point, with a new name every day after the Brentford defeat. Indeed I'd be surprised if any of our purchases were priority targets six months ago.

However there are still better and worse reactive transfer windows, and it looks like we've actually had a decent one. Whether this is by luck or judgment I don't know.

Martinez, Malacia and Antony all have long careers ahead of them and are in positions we need. Eriksen and Casemiro should give us an immediate impact, and the latter solves a problem that has dogged us for years.

Given the new manager and the new approach to football at the club entirely, there is a question about how well planned it could ever be. Any long-term targets we had under Ole are bound to be different from ETH, and I doubt RR got to name any targets at all. So I will give the club the benefit of the doubt this summer, even if it falls into the same pattern as previous summers.

Next summer id hope to see far more organisation in how we approach things, given the time we'll have had with the manager. For this summer though, we ended up with a decent window, but could easily have flubbed it with our approach. So overall 7/10.

jamesjimmybyrondean

7/10. A backup keeper (+0.5), RB (+0.5), replacing Ronaldo(+1) and a midfielder (+1) will make it a 10. Would be a 12/10 if the midfielder is De Jong

Amsterdam Devil

6.5/10

we still need Frenkie, a right back and a striker to really compete in this competition. Then it will be 9/10. A goalkeeper can wait till next summer.

RC89

Purely in terms of incomings, 7/10.

If Casemiro was bought in for pre season and Antony in before season started I'd give it an 8/10.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Hopefully not, but VDB won’t be needed whatsoever if FDJ joins.

We will have following options:
CDM: Casemiro / McTominay / Garner
CM / DPL: FDJ / Fred / Eriksen / Iqbal
AM: Bruno / Eriksen / Mejbri
Yeah I’m with you. Donny couldn’t get into the team without Casemiro and another midfield signing - he was an unused sub at the weekend - this seemed to be outrageous under Ole so I’m surprised there isn’t any talk about him leaving.

Banat

Getting rid of Ronaldo and bringing Depay for reported 20m as a CF and as a cover for both wings is a no-brainer for me.
Dalot is getting a lot stick but he is improving with each game, I wouldn't address it at least before january, I have a feeling he will find a great chemistry with Antony and our right side will look completely transformed.
Williams and Lindelof can cover RB position, so I'd try and sell AWB as well for 10m+.
So, if we get Dubravka+Depay before deadline day I'd say it's 7.5/10.
Then go big for FDJ in january or next summer and we are golden.

Remember the geese

Without any context applied and by purely judging the quality of player we have signed, I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. How we got here is obviously a bit clouded. Still a few key areas to sort out, but we were never going to put everything right in one go. Three or four more quality additions next summer and I think we might be able to challenge for the title.

Lee565

4/10.

the de Jong saga was an absolute joke.

we messed about with the Antony signing where it has cost us an extra 15-20 million on top because we left it so late that it made it tough for ajax to replace him so late into the window.

The casemiro signing is similar and came of as very reactionary to the two heavy defeats and if we were really targeting then why would we have left it until the season started?

The back up gk situation has been a mess.

The ronaldo rubbish has been a big drama all summer.

Our outgoing business has been poor and I don't include pogba, lingard, matic or mata in that as they were all free agents that walked away at their own free will.

Martinez has started to look OK but it is a long season and still think the fee paid for him was also a bit over priced.

Eriksen has looked OK but not a revelation as of yet.

Malacia has come in the last two games looking good but then again so did telles when he first joined, though for 15 million for such a player with time on his side will very likely be a good value signing.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
5/10. If you'd have said we'd get in 5 potential starters I'd have taken it pre window but we still have holes that put us behind the top 5. We've overpaid and wasted time leading to a disastrous start. The De Jong chase was farcical.

Alan Partridge

7/10. Realistically it’s about as much as we could’ve hoped for. Five players who pretty much go straight into our first XI.

Slightly off topic, when was the last time we sold a player for actual money?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
7/10. Realistically it’s about as much as we could’ve hoped for. Five players who pretty much go straight into our first XI.

Slightly off topic, when was the last time we sold a player for actual money?
Dan James £26m to Leeds.

Lecland07

To be fair I think the lack of trust with the board is fair from the fans. Plus if we started the season well I could’ve imagined the last 2 signings wouldn’t have happened. Board/ Glazers are very reactive.
Yes, but I think the new changes in structure and board still need more patience than what was given. Not even sure it was a month into the transfer window before criticism started.

Not sure about us not signing those players. The links with Antony were around since June and our first bid was in July, before the season started. Casemiro, it turns out, made the decision to leave Madrid after the CL final; I think it is likely that we had been in for him most of the time but he was deliberating on where to go. We will never know the truth, but what matters is that we have signed them.

Alemar

Five players who pretty much go straight into our first XI.
Maybe not, in fact. 4 players are of course starters, but the 5th one… Once Casemiro is fully fit and starting, we will see whether Eriksen keeps his starting spot. Eriksen provides depth as an 8 and as a 10, buy maybe he won’t be indisputable starter still.

That said, he certainly will play quite a lot anyway, as there are 5 main options to choose from:

1) Casemiro - Eriksen - Bruno
2) Casemiro - Fred - Bruno
3) Casemiro - McTominay - Bruno
4) Casemiro - Fred - Eriksen
5) Casemiro - McTominay - Eriksen

Von Mistelroum

I'll upgrade to 6/10 based on Antony incoming. It's a very exciting window with some quality coming in (as well as some unknown quantities) but we've missed out some crucial positions such as ST, RB, GK and a second midfielder.

Widow

4/10.

we messed about with the Antony signing where it has cost us an extra 15-20 million on top because we left it so late that it made it tough for ajax to replace him so late into the window.

The casemiro signing is similar and came of as very reactionary to the two heavy defeats and if we were really targeting then why would we have left it until the season started?

Our outgoing business has been poor and I don't include pogba, lingard, matic or mata in that as they were all free agents that walked away at their own free will.

Martinez has started to look OK but it is a long season and still think the fee paid for him was also a bit over priced.

Malacia has come in the last two games looking good but then again so did telles when he first joined, though for 15 million for such a player with time on his side will very likely be a good value signing.
What a silly score.

UpWithRivers

4/10.

Must be fkn miserable in your house.

saivet

6.5/10 at for me so far. Don't think we've made any bad signings but equally I think the only game changing signing we've made is Casemiro and he came at a hefty fee for his age.

It's not all about other teams fearing us but I don't think our rivals for top 4 are fearing us based on our signings.

Turning out to be a decent window but still a few areas that needed addressing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If we get Aubameyang, I'd move the score to 7.5/8 - plus it would drive Piers Morgan to self implode and that's a sight worth paying for!

Of courser, I'd like FdJ and a replacement for DDG but neither of those are happening and right now a centre forward is a must (unless Ronaldo stays and is picked and fits in. I can't see all three of those coming to pass)

Chairman Steve

With Antony joining, I’d say 7/10 at the moment.

I‘ll give one point more each for the striker, the right-back and another central midfielder we need to make it 10/10.