Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

MrSingh2002

Note - The average ages also include other players returning/leaving on loan.

ARRIVALS

Antony
£85m

Casemiro
£63.59m

Lisandro Martínez
£51.63m

Tyrell Malacia
£13.50m

Christian Eriksen
free transfer

5 Players
Sum: £213.72m
Average age: 23.8

DEPARTURES

Andreas Pereira
£8.55m

Eric Bailly
Loan fee:
£1.80m

Paul Pogba
free transfer

Jesse Lingard
free transfer

Nemanja Matić
free transfer

Alex Telles
loan transfer

Dean Henderson
loan transfer

Álvaro Fernandez
loan transfer

Edinson Cavani
Without Club

Juan Mata
Without Club

Lee Grant
Retired Retired

11 Players
Sum: £10.35m
Average age: 29.6

My take:
Arrivals 6/10 - All good signings but not enough to get us in the top 4. Still need Starting ST and CM, and backup/competition for RB and GK
Departures 4/10 - Glad we released Mata, Lingard, sold Pereira. Would like to sell Maguire and Shaw if replacements can be signed this week

Last edited:

Alemar

And where are loan fees for other players in your stats?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Premature threadoculation. Still a lot of time and work to be done.

laughtersassassin

4/10 so far.

6/10 with Anthony although he is insanely overpriced. Window gets marked down as we need a lot.

Biggins

One of Casemiro or Eriksen has a forged birth certificate if average age of arrivals is less than 24…

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Why even do this before the window is closed?
Premature threadoculation. Still a lot of time and work to be done.
Too early for that, mate. Still a week to go.
Too soon it’s still going.
It seems premature to judge our window when its not closed yet.
Mr Singh likes to take any opportunity to be negative about everything United.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably a 4/10 - It's just been so poorly managed and thought-out.... that even if we end up with all our targets, I still wouldn't be able to go over a 5/10

The White Pele

I would give 6/10. It’s been a really mixed bag.

On the one hand we have addressed the glaring hole in the team in defensive midfield with one of the world’s best in that position with Casemiro.

Eriksen on a free was good business and a bit of a no-brainer to replace some of the creativity we lost from Pogba and to a lesser extent Mata.

And Malacia is the kind of signing that I think we all like to see. Huge potential and for around the same price as we sold Pereira.

The Martinez signing needs more time to judge as it was another significant outlay in a position we have invested quite heavily in during the last 6-7 years.

The negative is that we have a lot of issues in the squad that have not been adequately addressed during the window. These were known and long-standing issues and we seemingly didn’t have much of a plan despite having a Director of Football in situ for a while now.

Goalkeeper was an issue 2 seasons ago and has been allowed to drift without a long-term decision. A right-back was a priority last summer and seemingly little action to address it in this window. No long-term striker option when we ideally need two. The Greenwood situation and Ronaldo’s status has created a vacuum and created a scenario where we are now reliant again on a player that most of us had finally written off. A right wing option was needed (and may soon arrive). A ball playing central midfielder would be on the list too.

It was probably impossible to address all these issues in one window but there seemed to be a lack of a coherent strategy for this window. There has been questionable prioritisation and an overwhelming sense that the club either didn’t have a plan or wilfully abandoned it for Ten Hag without hesitation. It doesn’t inspire much confidence.

It is also really frustrating that the budget has seemingly increased in the last weeks of the window. If we had a larger pot to work with at the beginning of the window then I’m sure we could have had done the Antony deal for example earlier and at a cheaper fee. Instead we seemed to be priced out of that deal early on because we couldn’t stretch the budget to get him and De Jong.

If we had say £200m to spend at the beginning of the window we should have chosen which three positions to target marquee signings in and allocated £150m-£170m to get those three players. We should then have made the remaining budget stretch to address the other areas of the squad by utilising bosmans, players in last year of contract, loans, smart scouting for talents like Malacia and being more active in selling players that were surplus to requirements.

For example if Ten Hag’s priorities were CB, CM and a forward I’m sure we could have acquired a combination of the below players for £150m-£170m had we been decisive.

CB: Martinez/ Torres
CM: De Jong/ Casemiro/ Caicedo/ Neves etc
FW: Antony/ Nkunku/ Sesko etc

In addition to Malacia, Eriksen we could then have also done the following:

Sign Kamara on a free so that we had a DM option.

Be more ruthless in selling AWB. Find a RB talent in the market for “Malacia money”. Minimal net spend.

Be more decisive on the GK. We were always going to sign another number 2 with Henderson going. Pick one, get it done early for less than £10m. Alternatively, sell Henderson for a reasonable fee if he had made it clear he wanted out.

Be more decisive on the Ronaldo situation. We were probably never going to sign a top centre forward this summer whether he left or not but the current situation was inevitable. We should have moved him on whilst he was still under the impression there would be interest from other clubs. We would then use the remaining budget to find a short-term fix for under £20m or if we had been really proactive maybe even Sesko would have been possible at this price.

Last edited:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Note - The average ages also include other players returning/leaving on loan.

ARRIVALS

Casemiro
£63.59m

Lisandro Martínez
£51.63m

Tyrell Malacia
£13.50m

Christian Eriksen
free transfer

4 Players
Sum: £128.72m
Average age: 23.8

DEPARTURES

Andreas Pereira
£8.55m

Eric Bailly
Loan fee:
£1.80m

Paul Pogba
free transfer

Jesse Lingard
free transfer

Nemanja Matić
free transfer

Alex Telles
loan transfer

Dean Henderson
loan transfer

Álvaro Fernandez
loan transfer

Edinson Cavani
Without Club

Juan Mata
Without Club

Lee Grant
Retired Retired

11 Players
Sum: £10.35m
Average age: 29.6

My take:
Arrivals 5/10 - All good signings but not enough to get us in the top 4. Still need Starting ST, Winger and CM, and backup/competition for RB and GK
Departures 4/10 - Glad we released Mata, Lingard, sold Pereira. Would like to sell Maguire and Shaw if replacements can be signed this week

How do you get an average age of 23.8 when their ages are 30, 30, 23 & 24 - Interesting maths

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

On the one hand we have addressed the glaring hole in the team in defensive midfield with one of the world’s best in that position with Casemiro.

Eriksen on a free was good business and a bit of a no-brainer to replace some of the creativity we lost from Pogba and to a lesser extent Mata.

And Malacia is the kind of signing that I think we all like to see. Huge potential and for around the same price as we sold Pereira.

The Martinez signing needs more time to judge as it was another significant outlay in a position we have invested quite heavily in during the last 6-7 years.

The negative is that we have a lot of issues in the squad that have not been adequately addressed during the window. These were known and long-standing issues and we seemingly didn’t have much of a plan despite having a Director of Football in situ for a while now.

Goalkeeper was an issue 2 seasons ago and has been allowed to drift without a long-term decision. A right-back was a priority last summer and seemingly little action to address it in this window. No long-term striker option when we ideally need two. The Greenwood situation and Ronaldo’s status has created a vacuum and created a scenario where we are now reliant again on a player that most of us had finally written off. A right wing option was needed (and may soon arrive). A ball playing central midfielder would be on the list too.

It was probably impossible to address all these issues in one window but there seemed to be a lack of a coherent strategy for this window. There has been questionable prioritisation and an overwhelming sense that the club either didn’t have a plan or wilfully abandoned it for Ten Hag without hesitation. It doesn’t inspire much confidence.

It is also really frustrating that the budget has seemingly increased in the last weeks of the window. If we had a larger pot to work with at the beginning of the window then I’m sure we could have had done the Antony deal for example earlier and at a cheaper fee. Instead we seemed to be priced out of that deal early on because we couldn’t stretch the budget to get him and De Jong.

If we had say £200m to spend at the beginning of the window we should have chosen which three positions to target marquee signings in and allocated £150m-£170m to get those three players. We should then have made the remaining budget stretch to address the other areas of the squad by utilising bosmans, players in last year of contract, loans, smart scouting for talents like Malacia and being more active in selling players that were surplus to requirements.

For example if Ten Hag’s priorities were CB, CM and a forward I’m sure we could have acquired a combination of the below players for £150m-£170m had we been decisive.

While a lot of what you are saying is fair, how late and unorganised it's all been combined with lack of departures of fringe players such as Williams, Tuanzabe & AWB and the fact that hardly any had a preseason under us, it's a 3/10 for me

Hughes35

5.5/10 for me.

I'm happy with all the signings, especially Casemiro. I think a couple more players should have left the club and ideally we needed at least 2 more incomings.

If Maguire were to leave with FDJ + Anthony came in then it would be a fantastic window, I can't see it though.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Castia

If the deals would have been done early it would have been a solid 8

The farce that was FdJ and the price increase on Antony bring that number down but considering we was bidding for Rabiot and Arnoutovic a couple of weeks ago I feel relieved we ended up with Casamiro and Antony (Hopefully)

6.5 - I’m happy with the players but the summer was a complete mess with our major buys coming after the season as started.

Extra tip- Martinez will be the biggest success of this summers signings.

Drizzle

For the quality of the players we've signed - 6.5/10
For sales and income - 3/10
For the way we've conducted ourselves - 2/10

Overall 5/10

Kill3r7

Too early as the window isn’t close yet but it’s a 4/10. The signings so far are fine, maybe even great (let’s see how Casemiro plays) but the approach leaves a lot to be desired.

MrSingh2002

Mr Singh likes to take any opportunity to be negative about everything United.
Do you think my 5 for arrivals and 4 for departures is negative?

We've let alot go and signed 4 so far.

And we've let alot go for practically nothing.

I don't see how I can score that higher than a 5 and 4 at this point.

MrSingh2002

In addition to Malacia, Eriksen we could then have also done the following:

Sign Kamara on a free so that we had a DM option.

Be more ruthless in selling AWB. Find a RB talent in the market for “Malacia money”. Minimal net spend.

Be more decisive on the GK. We were always going to sign another number 2 with Henderson going. Pick one, get it done early for less than £10m. Alternatively, sell Henderson for a reasonable fee if he had made it clear he wanted out.

Be more decisive on the Ronaldo situation. We were probably never going to sign a top centre forward this summer whether he left or not but the current situation was inevitable. We should have moved him on whilst he was still under the impression there would be interest from other clubs. We would then use the remaining budget to find a short-term fix for under £20m or if we had been really proactive maybe even Sesko would have been possible at this price.
Great post and you have to agree with most of it.

MrSingh2002

But why? Just wait a week and people could actually contribute to the thread. It’s like asking people to rate players performance 20 minutes into a game…
Or its a good way of gauging opinion and sentiment by getting a data point now and then again in a week or so to see how it changes in the thread.

Korwas

I really like the Malacia signing and I think Martinez and Casemiro has great potential but its too soon to tell. Erikssen has no risk and solid upside so thats fine. Looking like it could turn out to be a very nuce transfer window. Regarding Anthony, I hate when players force their way to a club so I dont like what I'm seeing from Anthony if we get him.

Spaghetti

Mom's
5/10 including Antony.

I’m happy with Casimiro, Martínez and Malacia. So-so about Eriksen (although he was free).

Pleased that we got some deadwood out, but most of it on a free. Only 8m for Pereira in a window where Gibbs-White was 45m shows how far behind we are when it comes to negotiating.

The main reason it’s not higher than 5 is that it’s taken so long to do. We wasted 2 games (Brighton and Brentford) where we could easily have got 4 or 6 points had we been more prepared. Wasted too long chasing Frenkie.

avgp_1

5/10

Was ok with the Casemiro signing if we were getting another midfield but don't think we will and that's probably down to the money spent on him. We could have easily got a couple of decent midfielders for around the same outlay( plus may be 10m more) and that would have been more useful for the squad overall. Will bump it to a 6 if we get Antony though

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Do you think my 5 for arrivals and 4 for departures is negative?

We've let alot go and signed 4 so far.

And we've let alot go for practically nothing.

I don't see how I can score that higher than a 5 and 4 at this point.
As has been pointed out my multiple posters, you're jumping the gun.

What if we sign Anthony, Gakpo and a backup keeper in the next week? How about if we sell Maguire to Chelsea (l o l)?

I find lot of your posts are quite negative about United.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
7/10

If we sign Antony then I would move it to a 9, as it would mean have added high quality players who can work in ETH's system in defense, midfield, and attack. If we by chance add De Jong, then it would be a 10.

diarm

The absolute maximum it could have been after we started the season in disarray was 5/10. That is if we'd got rid of Wan-Bissaka, De Gea, Ronaldo, Bailly, Jones, Williams and brought in world class (either already or potentially) options in every area we need.

As is, I think we lose a point for sales and another for the gaps we still have in the squad. 3/10 and that's probably being a touch generous. To be getting more than 5/10, the business needs be done in time for the preseason tour for me.

caid

I'd say 3 or 4 out of 10 territory. We needed major surgery and a lot of bodies in for first match so a good 7+ rating just isn't possible anymore. I'd say were a player or two off the minimum needed for it to be anything other than failure. Spending huge, unreasonable fees on players at this stage so think that could wind up an issue too.
De Jong and a forward who walks into the first team would just about push it up to 6 for me

MrSingh2002

As has been pointed out my multiple posters, you're jumping the gun.

What if we sign Anthony, Gakpo and a backup keeper in the next week? How about if we sell Maguire to Chelsea (l o l)?

I find lot of your posts are quite negative about United.
Yeh, if you've been reading my posts over the last few years there hasn't been alot to be positive about so the content would match. Unless you're more of a glass has got some liquid in it kinda person.