Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

MrSingh2002

Still looking likely that it can't be more than 5/10.

Antony, De Jong or Timber were first choices and we may not get any of them.

I can't say I think those in charge will have good alternative signings if Antony signing falls through.

Plus we still need to replace Cavani, Greenwood, AWB and Henderson.

I give them a 5 for replacing Matic and Pogba with Casemiro and Eriksen, and replacing Maguire as LCB with Martinez and replacing Shaw with Malacia.

We've bought well but simply not bought enough players. We're short of GK, RB, RW and ST.

croadyman

I can't say I think those in charge will have good alternative signings if Antony signing falls through.

I give them a 5 for replacing Matic and Pogba with Casemiro and Eriksen, and replacing Maguire as LCB with Martinez and replacing Shaw with Malacia.

We've bought well but simply not bought enough players. We're short of GK, RB, RW and ST.
Hard to hold any of those first choices against him all for various reasons

croadyman

This is true. United did just about everything they could to land each of these three players.
De Jong (Did everything he could but got played by the looks of it which is a dent to his pride)
Timber (LVG stuck his nose where it wasn't wanted)
Antony (Definitely get him cheaper earlier in window but we were all in for ahem FDJ for far too long and price got upped)

Chip

It makes no sense to rate the window when we don't have the full picture yet. We could make three more signings that makes it a 10/10. Are you gonna create a new thread by the end of September 1st?

SER19

So far im happy with the players we've signed for sure. Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and possibly Malacia are all improvements on last year, and bearing mind a full rebuild cant be done in a window, it's good, but still needs somebody like Antony in an essential position. No new right back is disappointing, and some proper competition for de gea would have been welcome.

The outgoings are frustrating, but overall the handling of the window allowed discontent to fester and come into the new season, starting a new manager on the back foot when all 4 signings made looks straightforward. Scrambling around this late for 2-3 players is discouraging and plenty of clubs still see us as an easy pay day.

All these things in mind, despite being happy with the signings made, I'd give it a 4/10

croadyman

It makes no sense to rate the window when we don't have the full picture yet. We could make three more signings that makes it a 10/10. Are you gonna create a new thread by the end of September 1st?
Not unless it's Antony, FDJ & top class RB which let's be honest isn't happening in a million years

croadyman

So far im happy with the players we've signed for sure. Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and possibly Malacia are all improvements on last year, and bearing mind a full rebuild cant be done in a window, it's good, but still needs somebody like Antony in an essential position. No new right back is disappointing, and some proper competition for de gea would have been welcome.

The outgoings are frustrating, but overall the handling of the window allowed discontent to fester and come into the new season, starting a new manager on the back foot when all 4 signings made looks straightforward. Scrambling around this late for 2-3 players is discouraging and plenty of clubs still see us as an easy pay day.

All these things in mind, despite being happy with the signings made, I'd give it a 4/10
Would push it up to a 5/10, however let's be honest there are still too many gaps in first XI

Chip

Not unless it's Antony, FDJ & top class RB which let's be honest isn't happening in a million years
Sure, but hypothetically speaking. Makes no sense rating it now, when we’ll surely see more signings before the deadline.

croadyman

Sure, but hypothetically speaking. Makes no sense rating it now, when we’ll surely see more signings before the deadline.
I bought into that happening before Monday's result but now got serious doubts we will do much business which is a complete joke

Chip

I bought into that happening before Monday's result but now got serious doubts we will do much business which is a complete joke
I agree it’s been surprisingly quiet since the Pool game (aside from Antony), but let’s hope our board - as incompetent as they are - do not change the transfer strategy on a game to game basis. And if they do, let’s see after tomorrow’s game if we get a bad result ;)

croadyman

I agree it’s been surprisingly quiet since the Pool game (aside from Antony), but let’s hope our board - as incompetent as they are - do not change the transfer strategy on a game to game basis. And if they do, let’s see after tomorrow’s game if we get a bad result ;)
Needing your team to drop points for board to take action makes me physically sick, however that's their game and has been for last 17 years

Woziak

It simply can not be a 10/10 window even if we sign Kevin Trapp, FDJ or SMS, Antony, Gakpo and Dumfries in the next week. The reason this window is at best a 3/10 is not the players we have or will signed but the fiasco and incompetence of how transfers are done within the club and by so called Executive Directors of the club. A great result against Liverpool and some of us still forget we lost at home to Brighton and got thrashed by Brentford, which means we have 3 points from 9. If we had our 4 signings Bedded in to the club two months ago and had made sure all 4 new players went on tour rather than just the 1 player, we could have improved that team significantly and allowed our new players to settle in and therefore get used to ETH pattern of play, finally phasing out Maguire earlier, getting shaw into better shape to compete and break up the McFred midfield with Cassamiero and Ericssen.

We will probably make one crazy €100m signing plus a back up GK who can use his feet and Cafe fans will laud the fact the club have spent £200m but remember it’s not what we’ve spent, it’s how we’ve spent it and by whom? #GlaziersOut

croadyman

It simply can not be a 10/10 window even if we sign Kevin Trapp, FDJ or SMS, Antony, Gakpo and Dumfries in the next week. The reason this window is at best a 3/10 is not the players we have or will signed but the fiasco and incompetence of how transfers are done within the club and by so called Executive Directors of the club. A great result against Liverpool and some of us still forget we lost at home to Brighton and got thrashed by Brentford, which means we have 3 points from 9. If we had our 4 signings Bedded in to the club two months ago and had made sure all 4 new players went on tour rather than just the 1 player, we could have improved that team significantly and allowed our new players to settle in and therefore get used to ETH pattern of play, finally phasing out Maguire earlier, getting shaw into better shape to compete and break up the McFred midfield with Cassamiero and Ericssen.

We will probably make one crazy €100m signing plus a back up GK who can use his feet and Cafe fans will laud the fact the club have spent £200m but remember it’s not what we’ve spent, it’s how we’ve spent it and by whom? #GlaziersOut
Osmihen with Ronaldo going other way?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Two 30 year old midfielders, brilliant material for a left back and Lisandro after 6+ players leaving and main striker still doesn't know where he's gonna play if his agent won't tell him.

We're really lucky Eriksen was available for free. Negligence on the right side is burning a massive hole in United's football.

Not a one single striker after Cavani, Greenwood and possibly Ronaldo leaving is a f*ckin disgrace.

4/10

gaffs

Considering the number of player who left, all be it, most were bit part players on a free, i would say 3/10.

Didn't get our top target in FDJ and seemed to allow the saga to drag all year.
Brought in Casamiro for around double what he is worth at 30. And signed him late when, if he was always a target, we would have had him for the season start.
Paid too much for Martinez which then meant Ajax could hold out even more for Anthony.
If Anthony has bene on the wish list from the start, then why not buy him at the start of the window. Left it late and were getting stitched up on price.
Pissed around with Rabiot and him mum.
Allowed the Ronaldo saga to drag on.

Positives are that Martinez should turn out to be a good player for us.
Same for Malacia, could be a bargain.
Eriksen on a free makes sense.
Camamiro should be solid for us but we have a problem in 3 or 4 years when he is still on 350k a week.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You’re missing the point. The Glazers were happy to miss out on all of ETH priority signings, only Malacia was signed in time to go on tour. The season started with us having lost 7 players and signed 2 defenders and a guy from Brentford on a free. We got smashed in the first two games of the season and it led to outrage in the fan base and Jim Radcliffe coming out and saying he’d like to buy the club.

Then the Glazers suddenly went from Arnoutovic and Rabbiot to signing all of Cassemeiro, Anthony, FDJ, Gakpo, a right back and a GK.

Then we beat Liverpool and slowly the frenzy is dying away and it looks like the only further transfers we might actually make now are a back up keeper and Anthony.

Had we won the first two games of the season we would have continued shopping at Aldi.

People talk about how much we’ve spent, but it’s the lack of planning that kills us. The reactionary nature of how we spend. The glazers are reluctant to invest, so we end up buying at the wrong time and the holes that they leave get repeatedly exposed.

We’ve just signed a player that could’ve been a good foil for Pogba ! Now we need a player who compliments Cassemeiro. I bet we don’t sign one and we are left a little short as always.

For me for this window to get above a 5 we would have had to have gotten ETHs prime targets in early. To get to high marks we would then have needed some smart signings to fill the squad, like a RB a GK and backup DM.

We are paying for years of reluctant investment so you won’t hear me singing from the roof tops over a few shiny new toys. It’s been a complete joke this window…Arnoutovic to Cassemeiro in a week, and being exposed by Brentford.
“Some guy from Brentford on a free”

115 caps for Denmark, played over 300 games for spurs and a season or 2 at inter.
Yep, just some guy from Brentford.

talk about negative

golden_blunder

Staff

Did you honestly think we’d buy 10 players in a window? Ralf said it would take 3 windows. THREE not one

MrSingh2002

Did you honestly think we’d buy 10 players in a window? Ralf said it would take 3 windows. THREE not one
Maths definitely not a strong point of yours? We've signed 4 players and I said we're 4 short.

GK, RB, ST and RW.

Greenwood replacement is the RW
Cavani and maybe Ronaldo replacement is the ST
Henderson replacement is the GK
AWB replacement if sold is the RB.

It's not that drastic or different to what is expected by many for this week.

croadyman

Maths definitely not a strong point of yours? We've signed 4 players and I said we're 4 short.

GK, RB, ST and RW.

CM is still an issue for me

MrSingh2002

CM is still an issue for me
I think so too but I feel Ten Hag thinks he has enough in there for this season. With Eriksen, Fred, McTominay, VdB and even Bruno who could play there.

We'll see if we go after any CMs this week.

lolok

Can’t fix everything in one window. Think we’ve done better than I expected so far. 7/10. One more big signing for 8/10.
My thoughts exactly. I figured at most, they would add 5 players. It looks like they have 4 and all 4 are starters. Most importantly, it appears as if all 4 new players coming in, have a great attitude. That was something that was desperately missing last year. If they sign Antony--- who clearly wants to be here and loves the manager-- then it looks like we will have signed 5 players who will go all out for the club. They will have basically replaced half of their starting outfield in one summer. Pretty good.

When you factor in that they got rid of a bunch of me first, selfish players in the offseason--- it's a pretty good 1st window.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
6/10 - We fixed 3 problem areas but we still have not solved the RW, RB, CM, ST and GK areas.

If we somehow manage to sign Antony which I doubt, we would have fixed half of our weak areas in a single transfer window so it would go up to 8/10

If we don't sign anyone else, we will still have at least one of McFred and Elanga starting game and for me those are the biggest 2 issues in the team.

golden_blunder

Staff

GK, RB, ST and RW.

If you’re gonna get cheeky about it you can take your negativity and jog on elsewhere

otherwise, we’ve added 4 to the first team, all good players. Likely we will add a gk to the squad and quite possibly another big signing in Antony this week. If you can’t be satisfied with that then you want your head examined

croadyman

6/10 - We fixed 3 problem areas but we still have not solved the RW, RB, CM, ST and GK areas.

If we somehow manage to sign Antony which I doubt, we would have fixed half of our weak areas in a single transfer window so it would go up to 8/10

If we don't sign anyone else, we will still have at least one of McFred and Elanga starting game and for me those are the biggest 2 issues in the team.
Part of me would go for Asensio on loan deal and break the bank for Osmihen as part of Ronaldo deal to Napoli

MrSingh2002

Part of me would go for Asensio on loan deal and break the bank for Osmihen as part of Ronaldo deal to Napoli
I'd do this but replace Asensio with someone else. I think something must be up with Asensio not recovering from an injury. Madrid or Barca never sell their young players like this.

Seems to be like an Umtiti situation at Barca when his knee wasn't right after the World Cup. They did whatever they could to sell him but there were no takers. Not sure if Asensio is going to return to his peak level.

croadyman

I'd do this but replace Asensio with someone else. I think something must be up with Asensio not recovering from an injury. Madrid or Barca never sell their young players like this.

Seems to be like an Umtiti situation at Barca when his knee wasn't right after the World Cup. They did whatever they could to sell him but there were no takers. Not sure if Asensio is going to return to his peak level.
Who else can we get on that RW, maybe Ziyech

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
7 out of 10 so far

Add De Jong and its 8.5

Add Osimhen and its 9.5

Add a GK + Rb and its 10.5

colombianmancunian

6/10

Martinez and Malacia look promising… and they already took out of the starting eleven both slabhead and Shaw.

Casemiro is a master stroke. Finally our midfield getting some steel.

Erikssen on after is good. He still has some good football on him.

If we get Antony it should been 8/10.

People need to understand you can’t solve everything on one window. We have gotten a lot better, stop the extreme negativity.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Will Singh

I think on the business we’ve done you have to rate it so I’d say 7/10. The business we didn’t do and the lack of not getting signings done I’d say 4/10 and that’s because they can still rectify it…

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
At the start of the season I’d have prioritized:
Tier 1: RB, LB, B2B CM or DLP, RW (2 out of 4)
Tier 2: DM, CB, ST (2 out of 3)
Based on this I think United have had an average transfer window. With a great acquisition in Casemiro, I’d say 6/10.

EDIT: 7/10 with Antony

Last edited:

Giggsy13

7/10 this far and an 8/10 if we confirm Antony. We were never signing 8 to 10 players, that’s just not the model under the Glazers. As long as ten Hag is happy and the players fit his system then we can end the window on a positive note.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
“Some guy from Brentford on a free”

115 caps for Denmark, played over 300 games for spurs and a season or 2 at inter.
Yep, just some guy from Brentford.

talk about negative
Yes he has been a very good player for the previous club's and country. And he may be a good player for us too. But at his age and health issues, he is surely just another bandaid on a gaping hole? I think he will be a great squad option but if we are touting him as the main guy in midfield it will be unfair on him. We should still buy our midfield mainstay.

kunal18

Early days, but defence and midfield looks better, 7/10.
Casemiro will provide more solidity to the defence.
Need more quality in attack. Someone who can take on take on defences and beat players consistently.