Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

Dion

Assuming we sign Antony I'd give it a 4/10.

Malacia looks a good buy at a good price.

Eriksen I think will be a bit of a flop (and I think he's been close to the worst player in every game so far), I wouldn't mind if he wasn't on a long contract.

Martinez is expensive, but he's a unique profile and he clearly has a great attitude. I'm happy enough with this business.

Casemiro, I think we'll get two years out of him tops. £65m is an outrageous price for a 30 year old and he's the exact opposite type of player that you want in their 30's, a DM who relies on their physicality to influence the game. They always end up being a walking liability when their legs go and they're still trying to put tackles in. His wages and 4 year contract will be a millstone around the clubs neck in the way De Gea has been for the last 2-3 years.

Antony, again another insane price. But at least he's young and a left footed right winger, which is definitely something we could use in the squad. We should have walked away, and I'm pretty sure with any other profile of player we would have, but given his eagerness to play for us, his obvious potential and his relationship with Ten Hag we can just about swing it.

Not buying a deep lying playmaker is the biggest problem with this window and it's going to take a lot of effort to make that midfield work. We've spent £200m+ about £130m worth of players, largely because we've been so badly run.

Newtonius

In terms of players a 6-8, depending on the RB/GK situation.

In terms of the club its so bad its hard to even rate, the largest net spend ever just makes the sheer lack of planning and preperation even worse.

Ultimately Antony could have been had for a "feck off price" of 80m euros 6 weeks ago which would have given him time to bed in and left 20 million over to put towards a RB. And now it seems like he is going to gain an unfair pricetag placed on his head through no fault of his own, and for 100m+ you expect a signing that revolutionalises the position in the team which you just aint going to get at his age in his first season in a new league, already seen this exact this scenario play out with Sancho coming from a much better league than the Eredevisie.

surf

Two overpriced definite starters, two cheapies who will play plenty of games. It's disappointing that more of the fringe players like Tuanzebe, Jones, etc have not moved to a new club. The final grade may go up if the next week goes well.

Last edited:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
7/10

If we sign Antony then I would move it to a 9, as it would mean have added high quality players who can work in ETH's system in defense, midfield, and attack. If we by chance add De Jong, then it would be a 10.
This.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I know the window has been somewhat rocky. However, considering we have a new manager who appears to have come with his own transfer targets instead of using the club's (rightfully so, given our recent transfer success rate). Still, I can't believe how low some of these scores are. So far, we have 4 players walking into the first team for about £128m. Not only are they talented players, they also have high character, capable of transforming the personality of the squad. They also have a blend of youth and experience.

Sure there's still some work to do but the window isn't over. We have a lot of needs, I believe Ragnick said 10 players, but even he said the transformation will take three transfer windows. If we bring in Antony, an RB, another forward (if Ronaldo goes), another CM (FDJ?) and a GK to challenge De gea, this for me would be a 10/10 window. Even if we only get two more in, this would still be a strong 8/10.

I genuinely can't remember the last time a European level team had a window where 5 or more players walked into their starting line up. We will have this by the end of this window.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If you told me before the window that we would get Martinez, Malacia, Eriksen, Casemiro and Antony, I'd have said 8/10 for incomings (need the RB and GK to make it 10). Without Antony, 6/10 salvaged by Casemiro being a great DM signing. If we get someone decent as RW cover for the year, 7/10.

Taking into account the timing of the signings and how we fecked up the Antony deal by just not doing it 2 months ago - 4/10. But in the end, happy we got casemiro.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s fecking dreadful. 2/10. Based on what was needed and what we’ve done, going for Rabiot and Arnoutavic until Jim Radcliffe showed his hand….whatever we do from now the Glazers have shown their hand. Cnuts

Alemar

6/10 so far. Signing either of Antony or FDJ makes it a solid 8/10, signing both makes it a 10. If only one of them is bought, then signing a good RB, good GK or good striker will add 1 point each.

Selling Maguire would add 1 point as well

Von Mistelroum

I would go 4/10 so far. Good signings but nowhere near enough with the squad we had last season being so awful. Also key areas still need sorting.

We're after one player now who looks increasingly unlikely and a backup goalie, so I'm not hopeful that we'll get the three to four players we need to complete for top 4 within the next couple of seasons.

DevilRed

6/10 but its obviously not over yet.

Sign another midfielder (FDJ) and attacker (Antony) and it would be a 10/10.

Antony + a right back would probably make it 9/10.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol:

Even more :lol:

What on earth is up wi’ folk? Would it have taken a whole new team to see we’ve actually had a decent window? Jesus.
You’re missing the point. The Glazers were happy to miss out on all of ETH priority signings, only Malacia was signed in time to go on tour. The season started with us having lost 7 players and signed 2 defenders and a guy from Brentford on a free. We got smashed in the first two games of the season and it led to outrage in the fan base and Jim Radcliffe coming out and saying he’d like to buy the club.

Then the Glazers suddenly went from Arnoutovic and Rabbiot to signing all of Cassemeiro, Anthony, FDJ, Gakpo, a right back and a GK.

Then we beat Liverpool and slowly the frenzy is dying away and it looks like the only further transfers we might actually make now are a back up keeper and Anthony.

Had we won the first two games of the season we would have continued shopping at Aldi.

People talk about how much we’ve spent, but it’s the lack of planning that kills us. The reactionary nature of how we spend. The glazers are reluctant to invest, so we end up buying at the wrong time and the holes that they leave get repeatedly exposed.

We’ve just signed a player that could’ve been a good foil for Pogba ! Now we need a player who compliments Cassemeiro. I bet we don’t sign one and we are left a little short as always.

For me for this window to get above a 5 we would have had to have gotten ETHs prime targets in early. To get to high marks we would then have needed some smart signings to fill the squad, like a RB a GK and backup DM.

We are paying for years of reluctant investment so you won’t hear me singing from the roof tops over a few shiny new toys. It’s been a complete joke this window…Arnoutovic to Cassemeiro in a week, and being exposed by Brentford.

BehemothTerror

6/10

Malacia looks a talent. Martinez could be a useful option at very least. Casimero could be a good stopped for afew years if he adapts to the PL. Erikson is sensible and good business.

Still think we need at least 1-2 high caliber players but if we can get two improvements in CM, RB/RWB, RW, ST it would go between 7-9 depending who we get.

jeepers

It was and still is impossible to fix all our problems within one window. We will need at least one more window, more possibly two to really get the players we need. We still need a striker, midfielder, right back and goalkeeper at minimum, and they have to be starting quality.

I love the Malacia transfer and it’s the kind of transfer we should doing more often when the opportunity presents itself.

Eriksen and Casemiro aren’t young so hopefully we are working on their replacements as well, be it internal promotions of our youngsters or incoming transfers.

Real Name

You’re missing the point. The Glazers were happy to miss out on all of ETH priority signings, only Malacia was signed in time to go on tour. The season started with us having lost 7 players and signed 2 defenders and a guy from Brentford on a free. We got smashed in the first two games of the season and it led to outrage in the fan base and Jim Radcliffe coming out and saying he’d like to buy the club.

Then the Glazers suddenly went from Arnoutovic and Rabbiot to signing all of Cassemeiro, Anthony, FDJ, Gakpo, a right back and a GK.

Then we beat Liverpool and slowly the frenzy is dying away and it looks like the only further transfers we might actually make now are a back up keeper and Anthony.

Had we won the first two games of the season we would have continued shopping at Aldi.

People talk about how much we’ve spent, but it’s the lack of planning that kills us. The reactionary nature of how we spend. The glazers are reluctant to invest, so we end up buying at the wrong time and the holes that they leave get repeatedly exposed.

We’ve just signed a player that could’ve been a good foil for Pogba ! Now we need a player who compliments Cassemeiro. I bet we don’t sign one and we are left a little short as always.

For me for this window to get above a 5 we would have had to have gotten ETHs prime targets in early. To get to high marks we would then have needed some smart signings to fill the squad, like a RB a GK and backup DM.

We are paying for years of reluctant investment so you won’t hear me singing from the roof tops over a few shiny new toys. It’s been a complete joke this window…Arnoutovic to Cassemeiro in a week, and being exposed by Brentford.
You make a few good points but the bolded part made me laugh. And calling Eriksen a guy from Brentford..

Von Mistelroum

What on earth is up wi’ folk? Would it have taken a whole new team to see we’ve actually had a decent window? Jesus.
I mean, 2/10 is ridiculous, but I think 4/10 is fair. We lost a good amount of players from a team who were already pretty poor and only bought 3 first team players to not only replace these, but also improve a failing squad who really needed 6-7 minimum.

The players we have bought all look good so far/on paper, but it's nowhere near enough really. We need a RB, attacker(s) second midfielder who isn't one of McFred and probably a new GK.

Elcabron

Bizzare isn't it. People must compare it to the window you can have on FM or something.

Anyway decent window so far (assuming Anthony is coming) but few more days left so I'll rate it then. What's probably most disappointing for me is the sales side, only 10m in despite about 10 players leaving, obviously lot have left on free but why did we not sell Bailey and Telles now. AWB also and hard to see a role for DVB at this point.

If Chelsea came in with 50m for Ronaldo and Maguire, I would consider this to be a fantastic window.

Elcabron

I mean, 2/10 is ridiculous, but I think 4/10 is fair. We lost a good amount of players from a team who were already pretty poor and only bought 3 first team players to not only replace these, but also improve a failing squad who really needed 6-7 minimum.

The players we have bought all look good so far/on paper, but it's nowhere near enough really. We need a RB, attacker(s) second midfielder who isn't one of McFred and probably a new GK.
Is that not a positive? I certainly think it is.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Go home Ed, you're drunk.
I may have been tipsy last night but I ain’t this morning! This window is not as bad as some are making out. If you cut all the media generated drama that gets this place into a frenzy then the players we’ve brought in and let go all make sense. What more to ask? We were never going to solve all problems in one window but I’m impressed at what we have actually done. Get Antony over the line and that’s a fantastic bit of shopping.

We’ve brought in a LB for a reasonable price who looks real competition for Shaw, possibly even take shaws starting spot.

Martinez looks fantastic. Not just based on the Liverpool match but also the reputation he built up at Ajax looks to be true. Brilliant fighting attitude. Again, more than likely will take Maguires starting spot AND elevate Varane’s game. Good business and will become a fan favourite if he carries on as he’s started.

Eriksen on a free is a really smart bit of business, the guy can play. He can cover a few roles also. He will be very useful.

And we’ve brought in arguably the best DM in the world. As ten hag called him, The cement between the stones. Pure quality and he means business too.

If we can get Antony in as looks likely, we’ll have sorted a long standing problem by now having two quality wide attackers that can both play on their preferred sides.

Couple that with shedding that bloat that was Pogba and Lingard along with some others means our squad now looks like a squad.

If you ignore all the media bullsh*t and focus purely on the players we’ve bought in then in my eyes it’s been a good window.

and @Jeppers7 - I’m not missing any point. I genuinely think it will have been a very good and productive window, even better if Antony comes in, almost perfect if we get FDJ.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You make a few good points but the bolded part made me laugh. And calling Eriksen a guy from Brentford..
Why? Do you not feel that Cassemeiro would be a good partner for Pogba and cover for his weaknesses? Or do you feel we don’t need a player who can progress the play from deep midfield ? We’ve waited until we lost three midfielders to finally sign a couple despite the fact that our midfield was a mismatch.

We now have a no6 and really 2 x no10s and Bruno has been ridiculously off form for 18 months.

Telsim

Why? Do you not feel that Cassemeiro would be a good partner for Pogba and cover for his weaknesses? Or do you feel we don’t need a player who can progress the play from deep midfield ? We’ve waited until we lost three midfielders to finally sign a couple despite the fact that our midfield was a mismatch.

We now have a no6 and really 2 x no10s and Bruno has been ridiculously off form for 18 months.
Christ... Him and McGuire will make quite the pairing.

swissgenius

5/10 if it stays like that.
5/10 if we overspend for Antony
7/10 if we add Antony for below 100m
8/10 if we sign a RB/GK as well.
9/10 if we also sell Maguire or Shaw

2/10 for creating that thread just before the window is over.

House Mkhitaryan

6/10

Didn't do enough to address all squad needs, but love the 4 players we brought in. If they can land either Antony or Frenkie, this will be an 8 window for me.

Still need a GK, ST and RB as well but it was unreasonable to think they'd be able to sort everything in 1 transfer window.

croadyman

6/10

Didn't do enough to address all squad needs, but love the 4 players we brought in. If they can land either Antony or Frenkie, this will be an 8 window for me.

Still need a GK, ST and RB as well but it was unreasonable to think they'd be able to sort everything in 1 transfer window.
There is time to get a RB but shifting AWB is gonna be the problem, don't think Brandon is the answer either

croadyman

5/10 if it stays like that.
5/10 if we overspend for Antony
7/10 if we add Antony for below 100m
8/10 if we sign a RB/GK as well.
9/10 if we also sell Maguire or Shaw

2/10 for creating that thread just before the window is over.
Can't give it 8/10 even with Antony under £100m and either RB/backup GK