Rate our transfer Window?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Probably the best transfer window since we signed Nani/Anderson/Tevez. We have strengthened significantly in areas which needed it and we’re now just a player or two away from having a formidable team.

Ole’s first line up was;

De Gea

Young Lindelof Jones Shaw
Herrera Matic Pogba
Lingard Rashford Martial

With a rather poor bench too. Compare that to how we’re likely to line up v Newcastle.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
8,5 out of 10, I guess?

10/10 would require literal perfection — signing a defensive midfielder as well as offloading the likes of Lingard/Jones/Pereira for decent money
For 9/10 I would've taken either option out of the above-mentioned
8/10 seems to low for three (more or less) world-class players

It can reach 9/10 if we win something big this/following season with our new additions playing a key role in it.

dove

8/10. Good signings at least on paper but we really struggled to sell.

jackal&hyde

10/10.

That we still need some players just goes to show how much work this team needed. The difference since Ole came and now is incredible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Excellent transfer window.

Obviously I think we needed a CM. But then City didn't get the striker they badly need either (or the DM/LB their fans also wanted), nor did Chelsea land the CB they were looking for. And Liverpool hardly blew the world away with their transfer dealings. All will be expected to compete for the title regardless.

We finished second in the league with this same midfield last year and since then we've made major upgrades at CB, RW and CF, while younger players like Greenwood are further again in their development. If Solskjaer and his coaches are up to the job we should be competing for major trophies this year, with the transfer window having given us the platform to do so. And if they aren't then that's the problem, not that we didn't sign enough players to compensate for their short-comings.

Incidentally, we also grabbed an excellent fee for Dan James.

10/10 windows barely exist and we didn't get that midfielder, so 8.5/10 probably.

Last edited:

Ixion

8/10.

Also we signed Hargreaves in that Nani/Anderson/Tevez window too who was in the CL final starting XI so there's no point pretending we didnt

Eddy_JukeZ

10/10

Kept all our best players. Added CR7, Varane and Sancho.

I would have been happy with just Sancho + other additions, but this exceeded all of my expectations.

justsomebloke

Probably the best transfer window since we signed Nani/Anderson/Tevez. We have strengthened significantly in areas which needed it and we’re now just a player or two away from having a formidable team.

Ole’s first line up was;

De Gea

Young Lindelof Jones Shaw
Herrera Matic Pogba
Lingard Rashford Martial

With a rather poor bench too. Compare that to how we’re likely to line up v Newcastle.
Instructive comparison to make. De Gea is not as good as he was then, but the defence and forward line are vastly better. Not sure the CM pivot is though, even if you include Pogba in it. It is really the part of the team standing out like a sore thumb in terms of improvement after OGS took over. It's a pity we could not address it in this window, because if nothing very unexpected happens it seems very likely to hold this team back. But of course, we can't get everything at once. It's clearly next up though, and is a reminder the rebuild isn't finished yet.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When you buy 3 world class players for 3 positions, keep best players and sell backup player for 30 mil euros, it is hard to say anything then that it is perfect window.
But if we need to go into details then i would say 9/10. With dmc it would 9.8. With Pogba signing new contract 9.9 and with Jones and Lingard out, it would be perfect 10.
Still, to be clear, this was fantastic window and maybe the best ever.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's honestly so hard to rate this window.

We needed a CB and we got a 10/10 CB and a 10/10 bargain basement price. With the right tactical nouse we should now be able to push forward our defensive line and close the void between defence that only McFred appear to be able to fill. Assuming we do this the ball should then be more actively engaged around our forward line and with a little tempo in our play we could really start beating the teams we failed against last year.

A RW was a need, but Greenwood has been making it his own. In terms of potential Sancho looks a 10/10 signing and given the previous pricing and other players of his talent id say the price is also 10/10. Sancho is also very versatile and once he has settled in I can see him taking up a good range of positions and doing what Ronaldo and Nani used to do with quality interchange. Greenwood and Sancho are ripe for this and the solution doesn't need to be one on one side one on the other, we should be swapping it around, keeping teams guessing.

I dont think Rashford has the flex, but I'm sure there are games Ronaldo can also still interchange on the wings for example where we want Cavani and Ronaldo on together. Even as a tactical change with 20-30 minutes to go it's a nice option.

A striker was in the nice to have category given we can use Rashford there, albeit with a big drop off. We can use Martial there, albeit with inconsistency and we can use Greenwood there, albeit missing the best of him from the RW.

The point is if Cavani wasn't playing, and that was pretty regular, we are missing someone elite to keep the momentum. It doesn't get more elite than Ronaldo.

Some may see Ronaldo as temporary, but it genuinely wouldn't surprise me of we had him ticking along into his mid 40s. He is a supreme athlete, beyond any previous athlete. Giggs is one of the few comparatives who did all the right things and the yoga sustained him to 40. Well Ronaldo has done all the right things his entire career, perfect diet, perfect training plan and touch wood has been pretty clear of significant injuries.

What Ronaldo gives for these reasons goes way beyond Ronaldo. That level of dedication and professionalism sets the tone for the whole squad and all the youngsters rising up. That rubbing off on everyone just a little bit should seriously lift our energy and performance levels for years to come.

Coming at the time he is he might also go on to be an elite coach for us. He is one of the few profiles where even Ole's stubborn ways might be cast aside in favour of listening to what Ronaldo says makes sense.

He has a serious profile, is a serious leader and anyone underestimating his impact is an idiot.

So its fair to say that again Ronaldo is a 10/10 signing and at a 10/10 price point who frankly should earn his cost including wages many many times over commercially and even more so on the multiplier effect to the squad.

And after talking about a triple hit 10/10 performance and the potential for us to now be serious players we get on to the big BUT....

Every man and his dog can see the limitations of our midfield. Fred is a tirelessly working midfielder and helped Brazil get to the Copa America final. He isn't shite, but what he also isn't is a DM or playmaker. He doesn't dictate the tempo, he doesn't even get the basic passes right. He can't shoot. He is a very limited work horse who alongside more talented, but low mobility midfielders can help fill that void.

Pogba is that more talented low mobility midfielder. Not low mobility because he can't move, but because he just isn't a combatitive ball winner. Pogba can work with Fred, but you still need a DM and then you can make it work.

McFred form a kind of DM/CM combo as in reality they are 2 CMs whose work rate just about gets us by. Pogba then slots in anywhere around these as a fairly free style creator.

The problem is as a LM, Pogba often operates in the same space as Rashford and they don't work well together. Pogba can't operate at AM, because Bruno is there and I'm just not sure he shifts around quick enough to open up channels.

A big part of why Pogba has shined at LWF is because there is no one in his way. Roles are clear. He doesn't really need to do the hard graft. He has the space and time to do the Hollywood work.

The problem is we have Rashford, Martial and maybe even Greenwood and Sancho to rotate from the LW now so putting Pogba there is costing us from using some of our match winners.

Given the abundance of talent there we thus need another solution for Pogba. That solution might just be bringing in a playmaking natural DM and having Pogba sitting central in and around Bruno....working the channels and through balls with some clever interchange.

In reality I'm not sure this would work anyway. I still think Pogba is just a LCM.

Either way though that DM would seriously improve our ability to control the midfield and dominate in a way that we otherwise can't do. McFred do a job, but one that only gives us a handful of chances a game.

A DM would at least mean we could try different CM options and ensure we have the opportunity to change the way we play.

Instead I'm concerned the lack of a signing will mean that all our signings become a bit irrelevant. Varane didn't stop Wolves creating 5 good chances to score. Sancho is still settling in, but there were no real midfield options for him to get the ball moving. Ronaldo like our all recent strikers will be on a graveyard shift waiting for a chance that only comes once or twice a game at best.

For all these complications around DM and maybe even still needing another CM, I just can't rate this window more than a 5/10.

We had players that could go both from a wages and value perspective....VdB, Mata, Matic, James, Lingard, one GK, Bailly, Jones, Pereira.

There were players available at reasonable prices who could have made a difference. Neves being probably the most suited. Camavinga might have been more the CM option and not the solution, but im sure his quality would have made a difference. Similarly Saul has a good range of talents. Any of these would improve what we have and could be funded from exits.

The reason for the low rating is thus not out of a disregard to the great work done, but more because we are so close and by not finishing the job we risk wasting a year with Cavani heading closer to retirement, Pogba potentially going on a free transfer, Ronaldo closer to retirement. Sancho having a confidence hit. All the great momentum is at risk over something very solvable.

It might not go this way, Ole might find a way to make it work, but there is significant risk that didn't need to be there and thus the way I see it half the job has not been done and therefore it's a 5/10.

For anyone that is doubting my 5/10 rating ask these simple questions...
1) if we didn't sign Ronaldo or Sancho would your expectation be dramatically different to what it is now in terms of potential to win a trophy this year?
2) on a pendulum of opportunity to win trophies how much more confident would you be with a DM?
3) Given the transfer activity of other teams and returns from injuries do you see our chance at winning trophies changing significantly from last year?
4) Do you believe this could have been resolved this window?
From the newbies

redrobed

It’s been fine. We finally actually spent some money and got some real value as a result. Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo were all absolute bargains. You look at the fact that we got those 3 for less than Chelsea paid for Lukaku or City paid for Grealish and yet each of our 3 are better than either of them individually let alone collectively.

That being said we really had to sign a CM. That will prove huge - I know the Glazers are as tight fisted as they come but we literally still have deadwood to sell still.

Robocrap

8/10.

Still missing a CDM.

Imagine if we hadn't bought Ronaldo though?

Zlatattack

Incoming 9/10. Incredible - beyond belief. Unfortunately we didn't address the CDM issue which just seems daft.

Outgoing - 5/10. We're still hanging onto Lingard for a start. He's not our worst player - to the contrary he's probably the most marketable of those who wanted/needed to leave.

Overall 8.5/10. The incoming is so good it outweighs the outgoing.

Bojan Djordjic

I think people are being very glass full about this window. In terms of the first team, our biggest weakness has been central midfield and right back, There were adequate options at right wing and to a lesser degree central defence before we signed Sancho and Varane. We still haven't addressed our main priorities and that's unforgivable. We were overran by Wolves and struggled badly against Southampton in our last two games. We needed a DM to actually improve the team but hey we've signed a 36 yr old shareprice booster for staggering money. 6/10 window for me.

CM21

8/10

-1.5 for no change in our midfield.
It's not just the lack of a CDM but also Pogba is very likely leaving on a free next season. So we'll be in need of an upgrade for a CDM and a replacement for Pogba for next season

-0.5 for not enough players sold
Can't be too harsh on the club because we don't know for sure what kind of offers came in. I don't want us to be ripped off , for e.g West Ham reportedly offering only £25 Million for Lingard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
9/10

Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo is a brilliant window.

RetroStu

8/10 for me.
Would of been borderline 10/10 if we had bought a good midfielder. We cant always get what we want though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
8/10

-1.5 for no change in our midfield.
It's not just the lack of a CDM but also Pogba is very likely leaving on a free next season. So we'll be in need of an upgrade for a CDM and a replacement for Pogba for next season

-0.5 for not enough players sold
Can't be too harsh on the club because we don't know for sure what kind of offers came in. I don't want us to be ripped off , for e.g West Ham reportedly offering only £25 Million for Lingard.
£25m would have been good business for Lingard. His value will only decrease because I highly doubt he’s going to be getting much playing time this season.

Real Name

8/10. It has been an incredible window. If we had got a DM and shipped one more or 2 players it would been a 9 cause as it was said here there's no 10/10 window.

Alemar

Strong 8.5/10. Very good window.

No midfielder is a minus 1, and we also sold only 1 player, could do better in this regard, that’s minus 0.5

Utd77

9 out of 10, maybe Phil Jones could be the CDM :lol:

Fergie did use him in midfield occasionally....

CM21

£25m would have been good business for Lingard. His value will only decrease because I highly doubt he’s going to be getting much playing time this season.
Agreed.

I made a mistake in my post. According to TalkSPORT, it was us who was asking for £25m and West Ham were not willing to meet the price. Then they went out and brought Nikola Vlasic from the Russian Premier League for the same price.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'd have to say 8/10. Lack of a midfielder worries me as I don't think Fred/McTominay/Matic have the right skillset to make this team tick, which could take away the strengths we expect to see from Fernandes and Pogba higher up the pitch.

But Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane - as a trio it's ridiculous and hard to believe - but definitely there is that one piece of the jigsaw missing.

wolvored

8/10 for me. We needed a DM/CM more than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is the icing on a cake but the cream in the middle has been left out. Also will we now be bidding for Haarland next season?
Ronaldo was offered to Utd in June and we turned the transfer down and only did it now to stop City making mugs of us. Don't get me wrong he is a legend here and will score 20 premier goals easily and I am happy he's here, but was an aforethought by the club.

Judas

Open to offers
8/10

We failed to address the area which I expect will prove to be our downfall.

We should still have a positive season, but that midfield will need to be at its best with the rest of the squad firing all the time for us to be truly successful.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Decent window

Varane - A bit unnecessary as we already had two world class defenders but I won't complain, he looked great against Wolves.

Ronaldo - Established striker with a good pedigree at the top level, should bring experience for the kids but some question marks due to age.

Sancho - Looks like a good talent so definitely one for future, similar to Amad but further along the curve.

Outgoing wise, good to shift Pereira and James for a decent fee (the latter). We've still got some dead weight with Lingard and Jones but whatevz.

CM

8/10 for me. We needed a DM/CM more than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is the icing on a cake but the cream in the middle has been left out. Also will we now be bidding for Haarland next season?
Ronaldo was offered to Utd in June and we turned the transfer down and only did it now to stop City making mugs of us. Don't get me wrong he is a legend here and will score 20 premier goals easily and I am happy he's here, but was an aforethought by the club.
I'd give it a 7 for similar reasons. Varane and Sancho were both excellent signings but I'm in agreement about Ronaldo, it was the kind of reactionary PR exercise that we've seen in years gone by.

Obviously still a very good player who will get goals but clearly not part of the plan or a position that needed attention. I'm disappointed that we had the financial muscle to push the boat out for him but not for a midfielder, which we've been crying out for all window.

In terms of outgoings we could've let go of Lingard or van de Beek. The latter probably stays as a direct result of not addressing the midfield, but I don't see either of them getting a great deal of minutes.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
9/10

Improved the squad immensely, got good money for a player we don't need. Slight let down about not shifting a couple more and getting a midfielder in, but any window that includes Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo can't be below 9/10.

Dve

9/10

Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo is a brilliant window.
Poor Heaton... hehe

We should maybe count Cavani into it as well. It was never obvious that he would sign an extension. And Pogba is still here.

Green Arrow

8/10 Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo great additions to the first team all winners!

If we moved out more players instead of one and got a CDM in would have been a 10/10

Lemansky

10/10

Perfect window. Three utterly class signings and Heaton.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Incoming was close to 10/10. Outgoing was less than spectacular. Utd still have a lot of dead weight. Jones, Matic, Mata, Linguard, Dobby, etc etc. Ole has done a fine job cleaning the squad but there is still work to be done.

The ideal squad consists of fit hungry solid pros and a bunch of youngsters who want to take their place. There are still too many players at Utd who are not competing hard enough for places. I think Utd will challenge for the league 2 years from now if Ole is allowed to continue.

Just like to say a word on Ole. I like him but it does appear he requires every toy in the toyshop. Other managers can succeed with less resources. I am not sure he squeezes enough out of what he has.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
9/10

Though I do fear Sancho might flop. I'm always slightly sceptical of buying players from Dortmund. Hope I'm very wrong!

kerryman

8/10 improved the squad/first team but still a weak spot in midfield and quite a few who weren't moved on.
Lingard's value will never be as high again, he'll be benched for most of the season and his value will drop.
Can't believe we couldn't add Saul on loan for a year...all we had to do was pay his wages. We let Chelsea have a free run at him.
Getting him on loan was the ideal situation and would strengthen an area of weakness.

kps88

10/10. We've added two genuinely world class players and one of the most exciting young players in the world. This could end up being our best ever transfer window.

I know we're light in midfield but you will always have positions that still need strengthening after every transfer window. We still managed second and made a final with this midfield. I'd rather we stay patient rather than panic buy if our top targets weren't' available.