Rate this attack from 0-10

siw2007

What we get this season is a bit up in the air as we don’t know what we are going to get from them.

However, I wouldn’t write them off just yet. With Lukaku going, it could mean that Rashford and Martial can step up to the plate and become more regular scorers. We intend to be more forward thinking and aggressive in our approach this year which should bear fruits.

DoomSlayer

It's opinion based on performances of those players so far, while yours is naive faith. Our attackers don't have the stats to warrant such faith - and also there's no other top club in the world gambling on bunch of unproven kids as starters. Youth development is fine and admirable, but you need proven and consistent performers first and foremost.

Then again, do we even have the ambition to reclaim our "top club" status? Ole's generic PR phrases like "Youth, courage, success" seem to be enough for some of our fans.
You can always change your rational support to successful teams while I dwell onto my "naive faith". Have fun.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
2. Whatever good rashy and Martial will bring, the other two will negate it

mancuniano

It's incredible that one of the most important and richest teams in the world couldn't sign a great striker. Midfield and attack worse than last year at the expense of seeing how young people respond.

Total disappointment. If that's what they wanted, they've made it.

Zoo

Martial, Rashford and Sanchez all have to step up.

Brightonian

The counter-argument to the obvious 'where are the goals coming from?' question is that we've seen the same attack, plus Lukaku, minus James, play superb football, score a lot of goals and win an extended string of matches (in fact, producing two months of mathematically league-leading form). Lukaku was rarely a starter and scored fewer goals than Rashford or Pogba and fewer goals+assists than Rashford, Pogba, Martial, and Lingard. He was not integral or even particularly influential during that successful period.

Then, of course, after the heroic victory over PSG by our kindergarten side on 6th March, it all went to shit. The injury crisis killed our momentum and from there it was a downward spiral of confidence and form. Notably Lukaku didn't score a single goal for us in this spell - he can no more be relied upon for goals when the team is struggling than anyone else.

You have to lead with the assumption that we're going to get something closer to the former period of form than the latter. If we go out and play like we did in the tail end of the season, we could be starting Messi and Ronaldo and we'd still lose every game, so all this is moot.

If, however, we come out with some confidence and belief in Solskjaer's system - which should be boosted by a much healthier looking defence, an actual RB and RW, and a crop of youngsters who have gone from 'talents for the future' to banging on the door - I see no reason why we shouldn't expect the attacking unit to score goals, even if we don't currently consider any of the individuals to be suitably predatory. The evidence is right there is that first half of Solskjaer's tenure thus far.

For reference, our PL fortunes under Ole. Couldn't find such a neat table of our results in all competitions so you get this. Astoundingly clear 'two halves' here:

Of course, there's no way to know whether we'll see the United of January and February or the United of March and April. But the point is that the latter has very little to do with such niceties as the goalscoring instincts of our forwards. It was down to a total and utter collapse of form that renders all this discussion basically academic.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If Martial has a season like his very first having been given the boost of confidence from knowing he'll be playing every week then maybe, just maybe he'll be alright.

Rashford has been given that ridiculous new contract so he'd better bloody earn it. Stop believing in his own hype and start improving.

Lingard has one good season in him where he was genuinely pretty good, especially numbers wise but the chances of him replicating it are slim.

Sanchez is done physically, injured at the Copa America so on the back foot pre-season wise and nobody knows if he'll ever get his confidence back or work out what to do now he's declined in pace and acceleration so that's a no hoper for now.

Gomes should be the #10 and never played on the wing but that appears to be the favoured thing to do at the minute.

Maybe just maybe Mata can compete for it and recapture some of the form that made him so good at Chelsea. I know he's declined physically so probably not but if he plays at #10 all year he's still got the brain for it at least.

Greenwood looks a proper talent but we're gonna have to be patient, give him chances in the early cup rounds and sub appearances here and there, Chong looks interesting but less of a talent than Greenwood, let's see what he can do with the same chances.

Pogba will have to play as a #10 at some point because he's a liability defensively but going forward he's great.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
But that is compared to last season in which we was poor in front of goal, dont we need to make up more goals from last than just what lukaku had scored?
Not necessarily no, we scored more goals than Chelsea last season and they finished 3rd

Obviously more goals are needed for winning leagues but then that's hardly the aim this season

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
For me your team needs to be built around Martial and Pogba while facilitating Alexis and Rashford's right to express themselves

Jambalaya

I dont rate it at all.And with midfield like ours(no creativity bar Pogba) we will struggle for goals.We won score more than 50 goals in EPL.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Watching this thread is making me sad. Unless some of those players step up and launch their careers to become one of the league top players, I can easily see us struggling to get top 4.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
The rumours are floating around now that Sanchez has been offered to Roma. With the lack of depth in attack, that doesnt seem like a great idea, does it? Why would the club offer him, unless they have spoken to Sanchez and realized he is not up for the challenge at United. (If the rumours are true mind you).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I prefer our attack this season than last. Much more fluid than our last few seasons.
Agree, we just need more creativity other than Pogba

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Of course, there's no way to know whether we'll see the United of January and February or the United of March and April. But the point is that the latter has very little to do with such niceties as the goalscoring instincts of our forwards. It was down to a total and utter collapse of form that renders all this discussion basically academic.
Your form might have collapsed but the schedule also got a lot harder and opposing managers also clearly made adjustments after figuring out how United was setting up under Solksjaer. Of the 12 matches between Cardiff and Soton, nine were against teams that finished in the bottom half of the table and you scored two goals total in the three matches against clubs in the top half. Overall, in Solksjaer's nine league matches against the top half of the table, you scored six goals.

Good well drilled teams with decent managers figured out that United wanted to play on the counter and that if they could neutralize that part of their game there wasn't too much else to worry about. The question is whether Solksjaer has something new to throw at opponents.

Bestietom

Following United since 1959 and this is the weakest attack I have seen. We always had a few top goalscorers in our attack. Now we expect Rashford and Martial to get us 80% of the goals.

Devil may care

I'd say right now I'd rate it at 3, if Rashford and Martial find consistency then I'd move it to 5 as that is half of the front 4, we still need a #10 and RW to get the front 4 up to the level required.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Bumped after the last game of 2019.

How do you rate our attack now ? Rashford has scored 16 goals thus far and is tied second topscorer in the league.

Martial has scored 10 in total and 7 in the league.

Greenwood scored 8 this season and 3 in the league.

D. James has a tally of 3 goals and 6 assists thus far.

Lingard unfortunately hasnt scored in 28 games and hasnt been a regular starter also.

How do you rate the attack now and who has surprised you the most?

Last edited:

ManchesterYoda

RASHFORD - MARTIAL - GREENWOOD
POGBA
I rate THIS attack very highly and want to see it for the rest of the season and beyond.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

How do you rate our attack now ? Rashford has scored 14 goals thus far and is tied second topscorer in the league.

Lingard unfortunately hasnt scored in 28 games and hasnt been a regular starter also.

Rashford has 16 goals

Gasolin

RASHFORD - MARTIAL - GREENWOOD
POGBA
I rate THIS attack very highly and want to see it for the rest of the season and beyond.
For that, we need Matic or Scott or Fred to step up and be able to play together behind Pogba, and sometimes creating.

Stacks

How do you rate our attack now ? Rashford has scored 16 goals thus far and is tied second topscorer in the league.

Pretty darn good. The 1st 2 are just as productive as Liverpool's main attackers. The best thing is that 2 of that list have been grown and produced in house. Demonstrates the strength of our academy and saves United 100+ million

wolvored

The thing is James has made the most assists, so taking him out of the attack limits the chances to score.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Now 5/10, up from 4/10. Still 6/10 if I include Pogba.
Rashford improving and James/Greenwood getting to show more moved it up a point. We're still terrible against teams sitting deep and we will continue to struggle due to a lack of quality with the ball. A lot (+1 or +2) could have been improved with good offensive movement from coaching.

I would say the potential is closer to 8 if the movement was great and all of the players developed well:
Martial
Rashford - Pogba - Greenwood

Mind you I think of 10 as good enough to compete for the PL & CL. 8, the optimal i think our current lineup can get to would be closer to how I rate Chelseas old attack of Hazard - Costa - Willian. Good enough to compete for the league when there aren't great teams with great players around.