Rate this attack from 0-10

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Alright, after an ‘interesting’ transfer market period, its safe to say that the defense issues have been adressed. However, much is said about having no new midfielders/ and no Lukaku replacement. Currently one of the set ups of the team could exsist of:

CS:
Rashford/Martial

LW: Sanchez/ James

RW: Lingard/Greenwood

Extra options: Gomez/Chong

-(potential) positives: pace/ high pressure system
-(potential) negatives: end product: inexperienced young players

The possibility to shuffle with their positions is available too.

Rio said in an earlier interview with the fulltimedevils crew, that a turnover of 15 goals and 15 assists would be ‘good’ for Rashford and Martial. He also said that Sanchez could surprise many this season, especially if his mindset is focussed on proving his worth.

The teenage talents wont be starting week in and week out i assume, especially if Lingard, Sanchez, Martial and Rashford are fit. They will get their chances, especially with the latest briefing that Ole seems impressed with them and ready to give them the oppertunity to break through. On paper, how would you rate our attack from 0-10?

Edit: i forgot about Gomez and Chong. They are great talents as well, but in my opinion, i dont think they will see the same minutes James and Greenwood will get. Interesting to see how this will develop and if there will be much inter change between them in position.

Last edited:

caid

Too many unknowns there. Lingard is the only one you can bank on (not in a good way).

Dolf

Rashford and Martial are the best attackers we currently have and even they aren't guarantees. Let's hope some players can step up or we're going to be in big trouble.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Probably the weakest United attack, on paper, of the last 30 years. Let's hope they step up because it's not obvious where the goals are going to come from.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
LW - Rashford

CF - Martial

RW - Greenwood

Potential to be outstanding but very much unknown right now.

LVGWay

We’re in for a long season. Best hope is Martial growing some balls and using his talent and adding more work rate, end product to his game. Also Sanchez somehow getting back to his Arsenal form. Greenwood needs a PL loan I think. Dan James is just all pace. I’ve seen enough shit from Rashford. As for Lingard, not even worth an opinion

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
With Greenwood being an unknown quantity due to his age and James falling into the same category but for a different reason — we don’t know whether he’ll be able to make a step up from The Championship.

Lingard has 17 goals for United so probably 4-5 goals in all competitions. Meh to say the least.

Sanchez is physically shot. I may as well stick a United jersey on my grandad who has COPD and play him.

Rashford and Martial are wildly inconsistent and both need to be hitting 20+ goals each. In order for us to even have a small chance of having a successful season.

I’m not overly optimistic. 4/10.

prateik

It's the same as last year.. no Lukaku. + James and Greenwood+Chong+Gomes (whatever little they might play)

Also, AWB will be useful going forward whereas we had absolutely nothing on that flank last season.

So... on the whole, not weaker than last season.. not where we'd want to be either.

fps

Too many unknowns there. Lingard is the only one you can bank on (not in a good way).
Absolutely. Could be a nice surprise, United looked far better without Lukaku last season, goals or not.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's the same as last year.. no Lukaku. + James and Greenwood+Chong+Gomes (whatever little they might play)

Also, AWB will be useful going forward whereas we had absolutely nothing on that flank last season.

So... on the whole, not weaker than last season.. not where we'd want to be either.
How is it not weaker? We’ve lost Lukaku.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
4/10
It's not bad. It has potential to be good. It's just not good yet.
Add Pogba to that and it's a 6/10 with room to grow.

Mind, I'm seeing it as:
Rashford - Martial - James
Gomes - Greenwood - Lingard

prateik

How is it not weaker? We’ve lost Lukaku.
He was pretty rubbish. Him playing meant Rashford/Martial got rotated on the left.. no one getting a run of games.

Now they will probably find some form and consistency.

He was pretty much second choice for the second half of the season anyway.

Big name.. but I dont think he takes a lot of replacing considering how he played..
and I know he scored goals.. but most were against shit teams and he played a lot of games up top. There is no reason to assume Rashford playing the same games as a striker will do worse.

Steven-UK

None of our attackers have earned the right to be starters for this club; albeit I still feel it was weaker with Lukaku in the team, who was equally unqualified.

The 'quality' of our strikers will be our main issue this season, I feel. That, together with teams simply walking through our midfield.

caid

he got 10+ goals the year before last... which i think is a decent goal haul. would be very happy if he got 10+ again
Weren't about 8 of them over a 2 month period where he turned into some kind of wizard and scored every time he touched the ball? I'd say 5 is realistic if he gets games. Mata is probably similar but im not sure he'll play that often. Rashford and Martial have been about 10 goals last couple seasons, 15 is realistic. Sanchez could be 0 or 20, probably a lot closer to 0. Greenwood and James, who knows? 5-10 goals each would frankly be great under any normal circumstances.
I'd say thats about 50 goals

Camilo

Pretty bloody poor. We'll have to see how Ole has them playing though.. 5/10 as it stands because I can't see where the goals are coming from.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One thing’s for sure, that’s the sort of lean squad you need if we’re going to give the kids opportunities. So it’s interesting the way the two main themes on the caf right now are complaints about how we need more midfielders/attackers and complaints about how retaining Mata and Lingard is blocking the development of Greenwood, Gomes and Chong. Which does not compute.

As it stands, our squad is a perfect size for developing young talent. The big unknown - obviously - is whether or not that causes a decline in our overall standard.

mav_9me

As I said in another post, other than Pogba, Rashford and Martial (who are both inconsistent) who can you expect to contribute to goals and assists?

And God forbid Pogba is out for any length of time.

We are fecked.

Stacks

To look at the attack you have to also factor in the supply. We have one reliable supplier in Pogba and even he shows once every 3 games. Rashford and Martial equivalents are Batshuayi and Origi. Our fanbase assume they are better because they play for United but their bodies of work are no better, all young, with flashes or talent and no reliability. Sanchez is more done than Rooney was especially out wide, James is an academy player in my eyes. Lingard has not been good enough since day one. Greenwood is another kid with no 1st team experience.

"Arguably our worst attack since 2013." only romanticism can convince fans otherwise.

3.5/10

mancan92

About a 4 / 10

No proven goal scorers, no consistency we are essentially hoping for luck at this point that they decide to magically turn up week in week out. Rashford has very very big pressure on his shoulders.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
One thing’s for sure, that’s the sort of lean squad you need if we’re going to give the kids opportunities. So it’s interesting the way the two main themes on the caf right now are complaints about how we need more midfielders/attackers and complaints about how retaining Mata and Lingard is blocking the development of Greenwood, Gomes and Chong. Which does not compute.

As it stands, our squad is a perfect size for developing young talent. The big unknown - obviously - is whether or not that causes a decline in our overall standard.
I'd be much more confident about this approach if Mata and Sanchez were the kind of experienced heads we could rely on for 15 goals each and to dig us out of trouble when necessary.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
LW - Rashford

CF - Martial

RW - Greenwood

Potential to be outstanding but very much unknown right now.
This is a better way of looking at it. Rashford will be playing from the left, Martial through the middle and then the dreaded RW could be anyone of Lingard, James or Greenwood depending on who takes the shirt. You also have to factor in the number 10 position as we wont be playing with a 3 man attack but 4

In terms of what history says to us then yes it's the weakest of the top 6 bar Chelsea (theirs is worse) but then if we look at history history also tells us that Rashford and Martial have always been made to battle for their opportunities, always playing second fiddle to the likes of Zlatan, Lukaku and Sanchez. This is their chance to step up. In Martial's case this is his chance to prove Martial FC right which is what they've wanted all along

I said in another thread if Rashford and Martial can cover Lukaku's league goals from last season (which means they both need to score 6 more goals each) then we'll certainly be no worse off than last season

Right now I'd rate it as a 6/10 i.e. it's ok. My only concern not having Lukaku around is that we have games where Rashford and Martial's inconsistencies show and neither can hit a barn door, it's then that you need someone proven and that's what we're now lacking. Time will tell whether that concern is justified because if Rashford and Martial seize their opportunity this season then we could easily be sitting here in 12 months saying it's a 7 out of 10 attack with the potential of adding someone like Sancho to it....

Red Star One

Talented but completely unreliable. 3.5-4/10 and although we can have a perfect storm and maybe Ole manages to make Martial and Rashford step up and become week in week out performers, but it's very naive and risky to start a season with attack like this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have a lot more faith in Rashford stepping up/being a consistent goal threat then Marital... Though what happens when he gets injured (which always seems to happen with Rashford 'cos of his style of play)... we rely on Anthony Martial for consistency and goals alone? Christ...

wolvored

Think we need a minimum of 35 goals from martial and rashford. They will be playing regularly. If we can get another 35 minimum out of the other 4, and 15 minimum from everyone else, that should see us reach top 4 I should think. Pogba alone should get 10 as a minimum

Alabaster Codify7

6/10.

Rashford and Martial are the main men and neither can be trusted to bang in 20 goals in the league.

Sanchez may as well not be listed.

Varun

Staff
4, 5 if I'm being generous. Think we seriously lack goals.

youmeletsfly

That attack doesn't have a proven goal scorer, -1 point.
The front 3 will not score 50 goals combined. -1 point
The only good player in front of goal is Martial -2 points.
1st touch, in behind runs and overall movement is average across the range -1 point
All are absolutely shite in the air. -1 point
The only natural dribbler and good in tight spaces is Martial. -1 point

Overall it's a 3 pointer. Points for speed, potential, 2 touch combinations and the occasional wonder goal.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Well it doesn't fill me with confidence and I'm not massively inspired.

I'll not put a score because I'm not sure what we're comparing it to exactly. It could be very high if we're comparing it to all professional football teams that exist, or rather low if comparing it to other big European clubs who think of themselves as teams who want to win stuff.