RBG passes away | Trump to nominate replacement soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
fecking hell they are going to appoint a far right cnut into the highest court of the country.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I fear the outcome of this long-term. Next time the DNC hold all three branches they must expand the seats, change the age limits as well. Feck if I care if the GOP bitch and moan, the media whine, and the GOP do the same when they have the chance. Adding another conservative judge will set up the far-right and religious nuttery for decades to come.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I am always struck by the fact that in these situations the Democrats always bring a knife to a gun fight.

I wonder how they ever manage to win any races

nimic

something nice
Scout
Even if McConnell loses Romney, Collins, and Murkowski, he's got 51 votes with Pence casting the tie-breaking vote. Of the remaining 50 GOP senators, there's no chance any of them has an ounce of integrity to uphold McConnell's "rule" for themselves. None.
They don't need integrity, they just need a sense of self-preservation. Some are quite vulnerable to begin with, and this would potentially guarantee their loss in 2020 or 2022.

Drifter

American
They have to stop McConnell trying to appoint someone, like he did to Obama last days of his term.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Trump is half way through a campaign rally and no one has told him about RBG.

That is sensible I think. No idea what he would say if told.
There’s no way he won’t comment on her passing at the rally. All they need to do is lose it into the prompters.

Supports
Barcelona
" Clinton ain't progressive enough " - progressives

well, enjoy the regressives.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Any chance of court packing post-election if Biden wins and McConnell gets this through?

Frosty

Any chance of court packing post-election if Biden wins and McConnell gets this through?
As far as I know the size of the Court is set by statute not the Constitution so increasing its size is possible. Get it done early whilst you hold all three branches of Government.

sport2793

That's really the only counter move, sadly. I fear for that to lead to a domino effect ruining this country but what can you do otherwise? I would threaten the GOP post election (assuming Biden wins and Dems take senate) that they will pack the court if they push through a SC nominee in the lame duck and by them pushing something through in the lame duck, they are going against the will of the American people. Another option is to submit more articles of impeachment to the Senate and force them to take that up instead of focusing on SC confirmation hearings.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Ubik @Frosty @sport2793
Packing SCOTUS would require a law being passed by both houses of Congress that overrides the Judiciary Act of 1869.

That is highly unlikely to happen. As @nimic said, not even FDR pulled that off... and if they did, then what? When the GOP takes control they just undo it or pass their own law doing the same?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
They don't need integrity, they just need a sense of self-preservation. Some are quite vulnerable to begin with, and this would potentially guarantee their loss in 2020 or 2022.
Who though? The only two Senators who have a shot of losing if they force through a replacement are Ron Johnson (who doesn't give a feck) and Pat Toomey. Toomey signed an amicus arguing that SCOTUS should overturn Roe v. Wade.

McConnell will do it in the lame duck session because it gives an incentive for people to vote Trump for judges with a prime example and removes the pressure from people running in 2020. Even if he loses, they'll still confirm the replacement because Tillis, Gardner, McSally, and Ernst would all vote to confirm the replacement even if they lost.

sport2793

Sounds doable, what's the catch?
The only catch is that it could make the Dems look bad from a political standpoint if done incorrectly which could lead to a reversal of fortunes in 2022. If done correctly though, there is no downside or other caveat to consider, it can be done.

Carolina Red

Staff
The only catch is that it could make the Dems look bad from a political standpoint if done incorrectly which could lead to a reversal of fortunes in 2022. If done correctly though, there is no downside or other caveat to consider, it can be done.
If done, all that would end up happening is when that party lost power the next one that gained all houses would pass a reversal bill or a packing bill of their own and the SCOTUS would eventually need to build a bigger room.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Sounds doable, what's the catch?
Assuming Democrats sweep Congress and the White House, it would be massively controversial and would have to convince Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. One way of potentially doing it would be to add two seats, changing the balance from 6-3 to 6-5 but would restore the status quo before McConnell stole the seat from Obama. Republicans would, in turn, use it to expand the court further and so on.

sport2793

If done, all that would end up happening is when that party lost power the next one that gained all houses would pass a reversal bill or a packing bill of their own and the SCOTUS would eventually need to build a bigger room.
Well your point about Congress is not as valid as the Dems would potentially control both houses. This latter point however is true and there would need to be a strategy of some sort to try and close the door behind you if possible. The only way I could think of would be via constitutional amendment, which would be near impossible to do.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah but you re assuming he has the balls to stand up to McConnell or Trump. They ll gladly sacrifice him.
Imagine if they try to sacrifice him / he somehow sees the light & he pulls a thumbs down on the SC nominee vote à la McCain. That would be sublime.

feck it. I can’t see that either.

nimic

something nice
Scout
McConnell will do it in the lame duck session because it gives an incentive for people to vote Trump for judges with a prime example and removes the pressure from people running in 2020. Even if he loses, they'll still confirm the replacement because Tillis, Gardner, McSally, and Ernst would all vote to confirm the replacement even if they lost.
Perhaps. I'm just wondering how many people who weren't already going to vote for Trump would be convinced by a highly controversial lame duck confirmation. Seems like it's the sort of thing which isn't really going to gain you many votes with the base (who are already voting), but could lose you the independents (who you're already in danger of losing).

It could happen, and clearly McConnell wants to try, but I think this would be a great way for the GOP to lose the next decade at least.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
It's more more feasible and doable for the Democrats to push to expand the Senate to DC and Puerto Rico.

@Edgar Allan Pillow No doubt the b!tch will try but there are a lot of moving pieces to start clutching pearls now. Maybe you should be trying to talk sense into your banker buddies ;)

sport2793

Imagine if they try to sacrifice him / he somehow sees the light & he pulls a thumbs down on the SC nominee vote à la McCain. That would be sublime.

feck it. I can’t see that either.
Ya we're fecked and there's no other way to say it.

Frosty

Don't the winners of the state legislatures in this election get to redraw (gerrymander) congressional boundaries too, like the Republicans did in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.