Real Madrid and Barcelona's debt

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Particularly when the board has such a tight grip on the traditional media most of the "socis" get their information (propaganda) from. It's certainly not the panacea some seem to think it is.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, it's almost impossible to run the club more incompetently, so there's that I guess (if the club still exists after this, that is). They took one of the best teams in club football history and leave a cesspit instead. With the approval of the "socis", by the way.
Yeah that’s what I was getting at really, the members approve the board and ultimately their actions. Which is crazy when as you point out, they are brainwashed by the Barca media

RoyH1

Caixa de Catalunya unlimited line of credit in the summer.
Fixed it for you.

Seriously now, I wouldn't put it past the regional government to declare Barsa an unalienable cultural cornerstone of the Catalan nation or something of the sort and let them not pay taxes or something of the like.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Fixed it for you.

Seriously now, I wouldn't put it past the regional government to declare Barsa an unalienable cultural cornerstone of the Catalan nation or something of the sort and let them not pay taxes or something of the like.
Meaning?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Cruyff would have been disgusted with the last seven or eight years of paying in excess of 100 million for players. Dembele, Coutinho, Grizman.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Barcelona were in the same situation in 2001-03, perhaps even worse.

They are a "country" (Catalonia) backed club, and La Caixa as always will lend them money. They already have Stegen, Araujo, De Jong, Pedri, and Ansu, and a 34 yo Messi (and his wage) will most likely move to Paris or Miami this summer. They will be fine.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Cruyff would have been disgusted with the last seven or eight years of paying in excess of 100 million for players. Dembele, Coutinho, Grizman.
He was already diagusted in 2014 with Messi's salary.

dinostar77

Its insane when you think about what the board had to do and how they cocked it up.

1. They have the greatest player of his generation at the club. Keep him happy (within reason).
2.Then build a support cast around him that will get the best out of him.
3. Stick to the philosophy of Barcelona and promote from la masia when you can. Tweak at la masia level if required when football demands change. I.e. very few la masia players make it to Barcelona first team. Most are sold on. Make sure there is a market for the players you are producing outside of Barcelona.
4. Hire a manager who will follow this philosophy but also would be cognisant to the changes in football tactics and tweak and adapt where required.
5. Expand, improve and maximise the stadium and infrastructure to get as much money in out of this golden period with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta.

What did they do? Utterly utterly ballsed it up. In hindsight, even now its difficult to know who Barcelona should have bought when Neymar left. Or when Xavi and Ineista retired. Id argue that David Silva was the only player i could think of who could have filled the gap that Iniesta left behind. A metronome like Xavi? I dont know. Maybe that was part of the problem as Xavi and Iniesta retired football at the highest was changing into a more physical game with insane pressing, think liverpool, bayern etc. Maybe Barcelona should have realised and moved woth the times and bought strong athletic midfielders to fill the voids in midfield. After all you have Messi. Make space for him, opportunities to pierce a defence and leave the rest to him to figure out.

I know i am rambling, but one last thing. Xavi said in a interview last season that Barcelona lack players in wide positions like Gnarby, Sane, Adama Toure etc. Whether that was a slight on Dembele i dont know. But it was interesting to get an inisght into what Xavi might implement at Barcelona post Messi (he wouldnt take the job while Messi was there).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And to think that the Spanish were amongst the most vocal when it came to FFP.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Barcelona will refinance their debts and sell players. Will have to rely on La Masia kids for players which is probably a good thing long term. If was a normal business would just restructure and write off but can't do that in football.

The knock on effect will be the overall transfer market collapsing. There aren't any buyers in the market, covid destroyed the finances of pretty much all big clubs.

Free transfers or fees 50-75% lower than before covid will be the new normal.

Pep's Suit

Garcia's small, weak, slow. Think he's another Denis Suarez and will find his level at Betis, Levante etc.

cyberman

And to think that the Spanish were amongst the most vocal when it came to FFP.
Of course they were. They vastly overspent and now dont want to be pushed down the ladder when they cant afford it

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Of course they were. They vastly overspent and now dont want to be pushed down the ladder when they cant afford it
My understanding is that they were hypocritically wanting the likes of City and PSGs spending curbed due to increased competition, whereas their accounts show that they are the most frivolous spenders of all.

Silverman

From what I heard, one of the solutions that would be proposed (apart from the super league) would be to partially become a public limited company, in which the "socios" continue to be owners.
I don't remember exactly the formula.
Regarding government aid, I do not think they would have problems with the freedom of action that the autonomies have in Spain, with the current national government and with Laporta, much more in favor of putting politics in the club, unlike Bartomeu.
I could not be any less in favour of a super league. That idea is a disgrace to football.

::sonny::

Messi 555 million in 4 yrs + 115 million as a signing bonus + 78 million other bonus

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ridiculous contract. How could any club sustain that?

hubbuh

Yikes. Messi will go down as one of the best footballers ever, but his club-cripplingly large contract will also be well remembered.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wait, is that a new contract offer or is that what he's been on for the past 4 years?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Could Barca fans accuse Messi of being greedy and turn against him? (asking him to leave, etc)

or maybe it's happened already? because there's no way that kind of money won't hamper the club.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Could Barca fans accuse Messi of being greedy and turn against him? (asking him to leave, etc)

or maybe it's happened already? because there's no way that kind of money won't hamper the club.

If somebody offered you half a billion you'd take it though. Surely the question should be what would he be willing to go down to next year, not about what's already happened? It's clear the club is in trouble financially and Messi could accept half that salary and still probably be the best paid footballer on earth!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't blame Messi.

Bartomeu offer this crazy deal, who would say no, really?

Won't get an offer near this amount next club.

Then again surely Messi has enough money? Will go play where it feels right to and can win CL as he wants to. Contract $$$ must be secondary.

Judas

Open to offers
Can't blame Messi.

Bartomeu offer this crazy deal, who would say no, really?

Won't get an offer near this amount next club.

Then again surely Messi has enough money? Will go play where it feels right to and can win CL as he wants to. Contract $$$ must be secondary.
You can blame Messi. The clubs not offering those crazy deals for no reason, they're not being extra nice for the sake of it, its desperation to keep him happy and at the club. There's clearly a demand for such wages.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If somebody offered you half a billion you'd take it though. Surely the question should be what would he be willing to go down to next year, not about what's already happened? It's clear the club is in trouble financially and Messi could accept half that salary and still probably be the best paid footballer on earth!
True. I'm just wondering if Barca fans are turning against him, haven't been following la liga since 2018. If they are, imagine turning against your club legend whos also the best footballer on the planet. Such a bizzare situation Barca have put themselves into. I remember just 4-5 years ago posters were talking about how they were managed perfectly as a club.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You can blame Messi. The clubs not offering those crazy deals for no reason, they're not being extra nice for the sake of it, its desperation to keep him happy and at the club. There's clearly a demand for such wages.
For me this is a ridiculous argument. Bartomeu should say no deal, we'll get La Masia kids in the team again instead. That is what made Barcelona successful in the first place and where Messi came from. Not the neo galacticto nonsense.

It's a management decision. Unless Messi is also running the club.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Barca will try to sue them for an arbitrary figure, say $555m?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Do Barca even have the money for a court process?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Surprise, turns out having the highest percentage of revenue going towards wages out of any club in Europe is a bad idea,who knew? Their whole financial model essentially relied on winning everything every year with packed out stadiums to be able to sustain spending these wages. Its insanity from a business perspective. They're going to collapse so hard.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Wasn’t there a few articles a while back before Bartomeu resigned that the Board needed to leave the club in a sound financial position or run the risk or funding any insolvency from their own pockets? Can’t believe how incompetent you must be to run a club that size into the ground financially :lol:. Surely that’s just malpractice/a breach of fiduciary duty by those directors.

MetoTTT

Not sure it's true but it seems they don't play Coutinho atm to not pay 5mil to Liverpool.