Rebuilding Real Madrid - how do you do it? | Buy well

marktan

agree with what you're saying, but there definitely seems to be a bit more in the papers when clubs other than Barca / Real splash big about the state of the game etc.
Tbf we could do the same, we have the income to spend £250m in a summer, but we don't spend because we still somehow have a £500m debt to pay and because 'there's no value in the market'. So our transfer strategy now seems to be let's look at the Championship and sign some players and hope they all turn into the next Robertson.

I like Madrid's approach. Top class players combined with younger potentially top class players in the £40m range.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A lot of people in Bernabéu, and still 2 hours for the presentation. I wonder if he will get more people than Cris

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We should buy Perez. Or at least give him part time job to teach Ed how you do business in the year when you are rebuilding a team.
I expect one more top world class signing and big outgoing transfers. They will sell dross for 30,40 mil each

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Courtois
Carvajal Varane Militao Mendy
Casemiro
Kroos Eriksen**
Vinicius/Rodrygo Jovic Hazard
Decent... You have to give them credit, they had a shite season, they had an aging squad, they lost a legend last summer, and they go out and spend what's needed to have those players at their squad. It might not all hit, it'll take a bit of transition, but they're going for the top younger players who are ready now to go in and rebuild them instantly. And Hazard who is the player they needed to sign for years.
Ehm, Modric?

NYAS

@giorno Okay, those are the only ones I recognise who aren’t there but according to Wiki there are quite a few more ‘unknown’ players out on loan as well who I assume would need a first-team contract before being able to play for another team?

It doesn’t really matter, just a pet peeve of mine whenever I see incomplete lists :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Marca's front page tomorrow: Hazard brings more people to Bernabeu than Cristiano :lol:

EDIT: they delayed the presentation to have more people in. Apparently opened the third ring now, so i guess there's going to be a lot of people afterall

How do you embed tweets?

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Good. Make it clear we're happy with Eden but he's not our heart's desire :D

Get Mbappé or get out Tito Flo :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Madrid have a goals problem which is essentially the same issue Barcelona will face when Messi is retired / declines.

There's still no clinical player in their starting 11, Jovic to put it into perspective is the same age as Rashford, I wouldn't be expecting miracles from him without acclimatising to Spanish football and a full season to ascertain the movement as a striker required to function in a Zidane team.
I agree that's one of the main question marks over the reboot, at least as it stands. On the other hand, the transfer summer has only just begun. Other possible issues I see are general compactness & LW protection, and the midfield.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Hope these feckers flop again this season. Bale should just stay there and collect his huge paycheck from the golf course just for the bantz.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
The stadium filled up good, there's at least 50k people I think.

Edit - Maybe not, 40k or thereabouts.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

This is what an ambitious board does following a horrible season. An actual, proactive rebuild. Our board don't want that, the season tickets are already done and dusted. That's the peak of their ambition,no more work needs doing.

Fer

Besides Real Madrid, I can see Juventus, PSG, City, Barcelona and Bayern with big improvements on their first eleven.

I hope we can sign the best players available for the positions we need to compete with them.

Also, there are other teams like Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Liverpool, among others who are going to strength their team. So we are going to have some competition to sign our targets if they decide to go play for other club.

Do you think we are in a tier below considering we are not playing the Champions League?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
"we want Mbappé","Hazard ballon d'or" :D.
A genius said totally convinced "with Zidane Hazard will be in the starting line up,for sure" :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
"we want Mbappé","Hazard ballon d'or" :D.
A genius said totally convinced "with Zidane Hazard will be in the starting line up,for sure" :lol:
Only half the stadium full for the presentation and the fans chanting they want Mbappe.

Welcome to Madrid :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Only half the stadium full for the presentation and the fans chanting they want Mbappe.

Welcome to Madrid :lol:
It was very difficult to fill it(although I expected a bit more).
There is urgency but not as much as when Cristiano came. We had been with Calderón for years and Barcelona had sodomized us, in any case 50000 is very good.
I do not see Pogba / Eriksen / etc reaching that figure

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It was very difficult to fill it(although I expected a bit more).
There is urgency but not as much as when Cristiano came. We had been with Calderón for years and Barcelona had sodomized us, in any case 50000 is very good.
I do not see Pogba / Eriksen / etc reaching that figure
I think Mbappe would fill the Bernabeu, you're going to have to wait a couple of years for that though

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think Mbappe would fill the Bernabeu, you're going to have to wait a couple of years for that though
I have to disagree my friend.
I feel in my heart that he will come this year, and that is much more significant than your logical and sensible reasoning

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I have to disagree my friend.
I feel in my heart that he will come this year, and that is much more significant than your logical and sensible reasoning
:lol:

My bad. Can't wait to watch Pogba, De Bruyne, Mbappe and Kane next to Hazard in a few months.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
First thing I'd do : No more stupid player presentation in the stadium where they turn around, wave and try to impress by juggling the ball.

What is this a circus? oh wait, it is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Hopefully they dominate Europe until United fix themselves or Liverpool and City feck off.

feck it, do Real want to come and play in the Premier League also?

flappyjay

How do you spot someone that thinks football is played on paper ? They're posting in this thread about the successful rebuild
Until those players perform on the pitch there hasn't been a successful rebuild. Hazard could ba a success or have a kaka type situation, these things happen.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Am I the only who thinks this rebuild is going to be a massive flop? I don't think Zidane is the right man for the job.

United Junkie

They've had an absurd CL streak that defies logic, cup team. They've won 2 league titles in the past 10 years.
We should buy Perez. Or at least give him part time job to teach Ed how you do business in the year when you are rebuilding a team.
I expect one more top world class signing and big outgoing transfers. They will sell dross for 30,40 mil each
The man sure knows how to adapt to modern conditions. He got in and learned from the failures of 'Project Galactico 1.0'. He knows how to speak and deal with people but also has a very ruthless streak in him which is a necessity too run the biggest entity in world football.

RedNed77

This is a genuine question so forgive my ignorance, but people keep talking about RM not really spending over the last 5 years or so. The profits they’ve made on sales for the last 5 years or so, have they gone towards the turnover figures they release?

(This bit follows only if the answer to the above is yes) If so how does their usual revenue cover all this spending, the stadium renovations, the inevitable rise in wages for these galacticos over the next 3 seasons (given they seem to give them a new contract every summer), when the only reduction in wage bill they’ve achieved so far was getting Ronaldo off the books? I’m sure I read somewhere that they’ve been covering exorbitant contracts with player sales.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is a genuine question so forgive my ignorance, but people keep talking about RM not really spending over the last 5 years or so. The profits they’ve made on sales for the last 5 years or so, have they gone towards the turnover figures they release?

They don't go towards the turnover. They go towards profit after amortization and depreciation

gaucho_10

There's 10 players to sell this summer and the likes of Isco and James will be sold for 50+ million Euros. The club has money to burn.

RedNed77

There's 10 players to sell this summer and the likes of Isco and James will be sold for 50+ million Euros. The club has money to burn.
Good luck with that, although tbf you're not as shit as us at running a football club as we are so you may well do.

midnightmare

The premature ejaculations over Madrid this summer seem largely about transfer-hungry United fans just going by the amount spent - rather than what's actually being done. Seriously, don't understand a lot of it.

Hate them but have to admit they know how a top club should be run.
Let's see. Which were not the big areas of struggle for Madrid's season? Left-back, you'd have to say would be a decent shout for this, given how Reguilon went. So, there's been 50 Mn or so spunked out on a left-back who isn't the most proven or experienced at the topmost level. There's also Achraf to come back and he's quite decent, so I'm a bit bemused. Militao? He won't be starting the season as first-choice ahead of the club captain or the WC-winning Varane. Rodrygo isn't even close to ready yet, so let's not go there. Next is Jovic, who'll be competing with Benzema (after his good season and he's a Zidane favourite). Oh and Jovic is not an Mbappe. He's raw and has miles to go yet. That's now left us Hazard.

Hazard will be the best forward in the team clearly, but will likely prefer playing in the position on the left, leaving right open.

And what of the midfield? Real enter the season (unless another 150 Mn is spent on Pogba or 80-90 on Eriksen) with the same first-choice midfielders for the fourth/fifth straight season. Ceballos and Marcos as backup are hardly the most alluring prospects for a club chasing Messi FC.

The man sure knows how to adapt to modern conditions. He got in and learned from the failures of 'Project Galactico 1.0'. He knows how to speak and deal with people but also has a very ruthless streak in him which is a necessity too run the biggest entity in world football.
Yeah. Visible. Like I said, I don't feel too optimistic about Real overhauling Barca or challenging them this season. I'd love Real to win ahead of Barca, but I don't see how 4/5 of these will be clear upgrades in areas of major weakness. Would have much preferred starting with midfield and right-wing, but what do I know? If Ed had been spending 300+ Mn on one starter, one minor upgrade and 3 players that will strengthen the bench in a season that was such a disaster, most would have been baying for blood. Flo has spent a bucket-load, but frankly, I don't see how this has been the smartest spree.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Reals fans will be happy only if they get Mbappe and Pogba this summer. :D

------Jovic-----------------Mbappe-------
-----------------Hazard--------------------
-----Kroos-------------------Pogba--------
----------------Casemiro-------------------
Mendy---Ramos------Varane----Carvajal
----------------Courtois--------------------