Recently developed club rivalries

Skills

Snitch
Are there many that have just started in the last 10-15 years or so? Obviously the likes of us and Liverpool have hated each other for a long, long time. But surely there have been clubs who've grown to hate each other in the not so distant past. What triggered it and fueled the fire?

The one I can think of is the Chelsea Vs Liverpool rivalry. They're not historic rivals but both clubs seem to loathe each other. The trigger I think was the Mourinho and Benitez years, including all those big CL semi finals/quarter finals including the one with the phantom goal. Then the fires continued to fuel it throughout the years including Chelsea being the team to ruin the party for slippy G in 13-14.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
PSG vs Barcelona
Chelsea vs Barcelona
Atlético M. vs Barcelona
Arsenal vs Barcelona (while Wegner was in charge)

Madrid vs Bayern M. (since the early '00s actually)

neilv93

Us and City? Only really developed in 2008 when they became a blip on our radar...

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
I think at least in the Premier League the Liverpool/Chelsea one is the only thing I can think of.

It theoretically goes back just a little bit more than the Benitez/Mourinho years - I think you can kind of trace it down to the fact that Chelsea beat Liverpool to the top 4 last game of 2002/2003 season and it becomes a question of "What if?" - would Abramovich still have bought Chelsea if they had finished 5th (not suggesting he'd have bought Liverpool - but the Chelsea question must come up albeit club in London etc).

And then the Benitez/Mourinho years with all the CL semi finals, and regular meet ups in FA Cup, League Cup all the way until 2008/2009 for certain (don't remember any meet ups in 2009/2010 beyond the league).

It died down a bit as both Benitez and Mourinho had moved on, and for a while Liverpool were no longer competing at the top end of the table,* then 2013/2014 happened with Mourinho back - but honestly, it wasn't at the same intensity as the early years - and it certainly isn't now.

*We played Chelsea in the final of the 2012/2013 League Cup and lost but I don't remember the games being as 'intense' as the Benitez/Mourinho years.

Reactions: Damien

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Liverpool and City seem to be forming a rivalry between themselves, mainly a competitive one.

Arsenal and Chelsea following the Mourinho and Wenger feud?

I know Stoke hated Arsenal when they were in the PL but they hated us too. Whether anyone cared about them is a different matter.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Stoke vs United.

A 99.99% unrequited rivalry, but they seem to hate us. They even hurled out a banner calling us 'Munich Bastards'.

I guess they have to hate someone, but they're quite isolated between the north west, Birmingham and the midlands. Birmingham's got its own rivalries. Derby's not that far away but they're focused on Forest. To the west is Wales, and nothing happens out there. Bless them. They tried.

SiRed

Stoke vs United.

A 99.99% unrequited rivalry, but they seem to hate us. They even hurled out a banner calling us 'Munich Bastards'.

I guess they have to hate someone, but they're quite isolated between the north west, Birmingham and the midlands. Birmingham's got its own rivalries. Derby's not that far away but they're focused on Forest. To the west is Wales, and nothing happens out there. Bless them. They tried.

Bit before my time but i heard their hatred of us stems from us signing Jimmy Greenhoff.

Not sure how true.

Red Star One

Bit one sided, but Liverpool - Madrid is going to last a while, especially in Scouse fans. Most that I know still have not got over the loss in the final and still make claims that if it wasn't for cynical foul of Ramos they would've won the cup - and lately most of them have been rooting against pretty much anyone who was playing Ramos or Madrid!

Judas

Open to offers

I know Stoke hated Arsenal when they were in the PL but they hated us too. Whether anyone cared about them is a different matter.
They're literally local rivals, and always have been. It's not exactly recently developed!

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
PSG vs Barcelona
Chelsea vs Barcelona
Atlético M. vs Barcelona

good call, also Bayern-BVB. BVB were a complete non-entity in the Bayern universe before ~1997. They managed to annoy Bayern between 1996-2002 for limited periods, but no one would have called it a club rivalry then, as there were other clubs trying the same, like Bayer 04, Stuttgart, or Werder. Heck, even HSV did in the early 80ies. Which is what makes the marketing label "german classico" so ridiculous.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
PSG vs Barcelona
Chelsea vs Barcelona
Atlético M. vs Barcelona

I don't know for Barcelona's fans about PSG, but it's true that we started to hate Barcelona recently.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Us and City? Only really developed in 2008 when they became a blip on our radar...
Oh dear. You have never actually been to a derby have you? Or Old Trafford for that matter? Or even Manchester? You won't remember that banner then? City and United have been local rivals for a lot longer than your rivalry with Liverpool. You clearly dislike them more than City and that is your prerogative but to be ignorant of your own club's history and its rivalries is a little shameful.

Just how big is that blip becoming?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Stoke vs United.

Creating unrequited rivalries was Stokes way of bigging themselves up. I mean, what was their reason to hate Arsenal, that Ramsey refused to accept the apology from the twat that snapped his leg in two. A ridiculous bunch of wannabe strong men, hope they never come up.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Chelsea and Liverpool is a good example, mainly due to the insecurities at Anfield. Aberdeen and Rangers is another one.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Bit one sided, but Liverpool - Madrid is going to last a while, especially in Scouse fans. Most that I know still have not got over the loss in the final and still make claims that if it wasn't for cynical foul of Ramos they would've won the cup - and lately most of them have been rooting against pretty much anyone who was playing Ramos or Madrid!
Nah, maybe people are still butt-hurt over that lost final but I wouldn't ever consider this as a rivalry. We played them the grand total of 5 times in the last 38 years (2 of which were meaningless group stages games in the grand scheme of things) and our periods of dominance didn't interfere with each other so there's no valid reason to hate them.

I'd say we dislike them just like almost any other non-Madrid fan does. It's just not a club which a lot of people have sympathy for - unlike Barcelona in the Ronaldinho era, for example.

The only other team (apart from Utd/Everton) that I consider us to have a rivalry with is Chelsea. Less so in recent times but I still irrationally dislike the lot of them, players and fans equally.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure Liverpool and Chelsea are really rivals anymore, while there was a clear feud between Mourinho and Benitez and that continued for a good 10 years when they always seemed to get drawn together in cup ties and Europe I dont think that's a lot in it between the sides now. Feels like City have taken Chelsea's place and that's only really been last season and this and that's more based on Klopp v Pep anyway

Cal?

CR7 fan
United v Chelsea has overtaken United v Arsenal since Mourinho.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
United v Chelsea has overtaken United v Arsenal since Mourinho.
I hate Arsenal far more than Chelsea

I must be in the minority these days because Chelsea have been more competitive.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Chelsea and Liverpool is a good example, mainly due to the insecurities at Anfield. Aberdeen and Rangers is another one.
They've always had a lot of beef going back a decent while. Never exactly been fond of one another.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Stoke vs United.

Suppose it would normally have been Port Vale, but seeing as Stoke have been relatively successful compared to Port Vale in recent years and games between the two teams just weren't happening I guess they had to look for someone else to hate.

United-Leeds won't be such a big thing to younger fans than it is to older ones. If Liverpool and City had been out of the top flight too for a long period of time it might've given room for stronger feelings of rivalry towards other sides to develop from a United perspective. We'd always have a thing for those 3, but maybe we'd dislike Chelsea or Arsenal more than we currently do.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
They've always had a lot of beef going back a decent while. Never exactly been fond of one another.
True, and I note you are from Scotland, I think the Simpson/Durrant incident has elevated it to another level.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
I'm starting to find Liverpool a more and more unpleasant club the last few years. From them thinking they had the league in the bag a couple of years back, to the way they treat sterling, to the fans attacking the coaches last year.

I have to admit a lot of it comes from moving to London and being more exposed to Liverpool fans though.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm starting to find Liverpool a more and more unpleasant club the last few years. From them thinking they had the league in the bag a couple of years back, to the way they treat sterling, to the fans attacking the coaches last year.

I have to admit a lot of it comes from moving to London and being more exposed to Liverpool fans though.
:eek: Why would you do that to yourself?

I've been there once and never gone back again.

redtony

West Ham fans seem to hate Spurs obsessively.

Is that only last 15 years or something that goes back a while?

Spurs fans don't care about West Ham, only Arsenal are rivals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moriarty

Stoke's hatred of Arsenal goes back to the 1970s.

CallyRed

West Ham fans seem to hate Spurs obsessively.

Is that only last 15 years or something that goes back a while?

Spurs fans don't care about West Ham, only Arsenal are rivals.
I think a lot of London teams hate Spurs tbh.

Djemba-Djemba

I hate Arsenal far more than Chelsea

I must be in the minority these days because Chelsea have been more competitive.
I feel the same way.

Even though we were each others biggest rivals for trophies for a good few years the rivalry with Chelsea never felt anywhere near as intense as the Utd Arsenal rivalry.

Moriarty

Didn't know that. It was certainly refreshed with the Shawcross/Ramsey broken leg.
They had some very contentious FA Cup games. The 1971 semi-final was particularly tasty with a controversial penalty for Arsenal in the 90th minute scored by Peter Storey. They met in the semis again in 1972 and that too required a replay. Stoke felt they'd been robbed and there was bad feelings between the two clubs for some time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I feel the same way.

Even though we were each others biggest rivals for trophies for a good few years the rivalry with Chelsea never felt anywhere near as intense as the Utd Arsenal rivalry.
Because i can't speak for your side but in general there's not really any serious animosity from our side to United and it seemed to be a similar story on the pitch when we were competing for trophy's. Fergie and Jose may aswell have been sucking eachother off and i heard quiet rumours that the English players on both sides use to lowkey meet up socially.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because i can't speak for your side but in general there's not really any serious animosity from our side to United and it seemed to be a similar story on the pitch when we were competing for trophy's. Fergie and Jose may aswell have been sucking eachother off and i heard quiet rumours that the English players on both sides use to lowkey meet up socially.
Unless I'm remembering it totally wrong, I think I'm right in saying there was a group of United and Chelsea players who played online video games together. From what I recall it came to light when United players did a couple of poses for goal celebrations with imaginary rocket launchers etc. It was then in the press that it was supposed to be a fun jibe at Chelsea as they'd been playing something like Battlefield or Call of Duty against each other. Think it was 06/07 season.