Record Revenues? So What!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If there's precious little investment in appointing the right people to steer us in the right direction. I don't mean players, we clearly have invested heavily.

vidic blood & sand

I don't think money is a problem here, it's more interest. The board is probably split about how the club should be run with things like a DOF for example.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Look. I really dont think the glazer would penny pinch on hiring the best in the business coaching wise.

We just havent found the one yet.

Have some patience. The day they stop spending hundreds of millions is the day I'd sharpen my fork.

Things hasnt been going good but i dont buy they're not doing anything to rectify it. They tried moyes, lvg, mourinho, and now they tried ole. They're trying in my eyes. I dont fault the intention to get back to the top so far. Things could have been better but alas, we havent won the luck of the draw. Liverpool did with klopp the rest is history.

If i were to point a finger it's on the bad attitude and culture from our player since saf gone. They failed to do the basics, even refused to follow the managers instructions at times. I understand it needs to be done with moyes, but it seems that they've gone over their head thinking they could simply get a manager sacked and buy another contract extension everytime.

It's a tough time, a good ceo might help but it's not as simple as that.

devilo

I think there's a strong case that even Klopp would have struggled for us if we'd got him.

Other people are responsible for the dross that we've ended up with in our squad. Millions spent on rank average personnel coming home to roost.

DanClancy

The wage bill is something else, the likes of Smalling & Jones must be on 150k a week.

JK-27

A weird few days where the club need to make a statement defending their plans for the club, their investment in the transfer policy, and then send out a statement about how good the finances are.

On top of that, also need to claim again they're looking for a DoF. How long have they been saying that now? At least for 2 years and nothing at all has happened. Just like our fortunes on the pitch haven't changed either.

romufc

A weird few days where the club need to make a statement defending their plans for the club, their investment in the transfer policy, and then send out a statement about how good the finances are.

On top of that, also need to claim again they're looking for a DoF. How long have they been saying that now? At least for 2 years and nothing at all has happened. Just like our fortunes on the pitch haven't changed either.
This is Ed Woodward's game. He does all of these things prior to releasing finances or season ticket sales.

After last years summer failure - A DoF was promised - still waiting
Sack Jose and the club statement said - We will appoint caretaker whilst we work on the DoF / Technical director before appointing a new man - what happened? nothing appoint the caretaker in haste.
End of last season - We can do things in the transfer window others can dream of.

Ed Woodward is nothing but fake promises. If fans still believe a word that comes out his mouth, then they need to have a look at themselves too.

Sparky Rhiwabon

About time we had a good news story we can all get behind after all the negativity on here lately! :)

Amerifan

Apparently CL football is only worth £20 to £30 million to the bottom line. That explains a lot...

NJM78

Imagine how much more money we could have if we didn't overpay shite players.

snowkarl

Apparently CL football is only worth £20 to £30 million to the bottom line. That explains a lot...
False.

Next year's fiscal results are predicted to fall to between 560 and 580 million pounds, valuing CL participation at 47-67 million.

sokol11

So looking at it from finance side: global marketing revenues + Premier League revenues is all you need. Champions League doesn't bring you that much. It pretty much doesn't matter where you end up in the league - fans money keeps pouring in, look how hardcore Liverpool's support was during the barren years, with United it will be the same. People love pain and suffering. :)

stepic

record revenues yet we had only the 8th highest net spend in the summer. less than Aston Villa, Wolves, Inter Milan, Arsenal, along with the usual culprits in City and the Spanish big 2.

this is despite us finishing outside the top 4 and in clear need to catch up.

despite us being one of the richest clubs in the world.

and then we wonder why we're struggling to score goals. pathetic, really.

Josep Dowling

Look. I really dont think the glazer would penny pinch on hiring the best in the business coaching wise.

We just havent found the one yet.

Have some patience. The day they stop spending hundreds of millions is the day I'd sharpen my fork.

Things hasnt been going good but i dont buy they're not doing anything to rectify it. They tried moyes, lvg, mourinho, and now they tried ole. They're trying in my eyes. I dont fault the intention to get back to the top so far. Things could have been better but alas, we havent won the luck of the draw. Liverpool did with klopp the rest is history.

If i were to point a finger it's on the bad attitude and culture from our player since saf gone. They failed to do the basics, even refused to follow the managers instructions at times. I understand it needs to be done with moyes, but it seems that they've gone over their head thinking they could simply get a manager sacked and buy another contract extension everytime.

It's a tough time, a good ceo might help but it's not as simple as that.
Maybe you should read the book 'the ball doesn't go in by chance' by Ferran Soriano. What has happened to United is down to poor strategic planning since 2008.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Just shows that as far as the commercial side of things go, Woodward is doing a very fine job.

Only highlights the need for a Director of Football to take over the running of the playing side.

El Zoido

It’s not that we haven’t spent money is that we’ve spent a lot of money very badly. Pep and Klopp would fail hard at this club, hell Klopp could see it a mile off which is why he didn’t come here. Pathetic how quickly the fans blame the manager. In the off season when people are more rational, they talk about a rebuild, yet we have a couple of bad performances and all that goes out the window and we want the manager sacked immediately. If you still can’t see after four managers that the problem runs deeper than the man in the hot seat, we truly have no hope. It cannot be stressed enough, no manager in world football is going to come here and turn us in to winners.

Eriku

Jog on, granddad, stop talking that back in the day stuff. I don't want trophies, I want to see United top the Forbes list of most profitable franchises!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Hawks2008

Could you imagine any other organisation being this poorly run for so long and heads not rolling at the executive level? Imagine if apple put out woeful iphones for 7 years running?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Jog on, granddad, stop talking that back in the day stuff. I don't want trophies, I want to see United top the Forbes list of most profitable franchises!
:lol:

El-Manos

Just shows that as far as the commercial side of things go, Woodward is doing a very fine job.

Only highlights the need for a Director of Football to take over the running of the playing side.
I share those views. A competent director of football is what we need right now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Surely this is more a reflection of the aftermath of Jose’s 2nd place finish, when it actually looked like we were back on track for a while? I.e not really Woodward’s doing at all. He’s clearly good at the commercial side of things though, that can’t be disputed.

haram

Record revenues are because we are Manchester United, not because of Woodward.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
It's actually hilarious isn't it because the truth is between the lines of this joke.

We had exactly the same thing when we moved into the Emirates.

Truth is as soon as you fall out of the top 2 these days it's a long and painful trip back.

It really is depressing the way this season has started for a lot of teams. I don't think any team bar Chelsea have any real excuse either. Which compounds the frustration of the fans from said teams. Add to this poor recruitment/retainment policies.

There is a long way to go this season, but it really does already feel like it's another season of City and Liverpool as 1 & 2 (no order). Daylight. Followed by the teams that aren't as shite as the rest of the contenders, but are still pretty shite.

I don't come on here much, but I wanted to wish United well in the coming weeks (Just not at our expense!).

I really hope we both get top 4 this year and move on from what has been some really pathetic seasons.

roseguy64

You're naive if you think not being in the Champions League doesn't negatively affect our other revenue streams much more than that 30mil.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Agree with many others. Record revenues just make the state of our squad and setup more embarrassing.

Amerifan

Could you imagine any other organisation being this poorly run for so long and heads not rolling at the executive level? Imagine if apple put out woeful iphones for 7 years running?
If Apple did that revenue would fall and investors would demand a change. Our revenue keeps rising regardless of results. From a purely business perspective even lower spending might be the wise choice.

Matt007a

We already knew this. Woodward is brilliant at bringing in the money and marketing the club. He always has been and he should be kept for that reason. The problem has always been his lack of football know how and his inability to acknowledge it. He doesn't want to give up that aspect of the job which is why he hasn't and won't hire someone to run the football side.

Amerifan

You're naive if you think not being in the Champions League doesn't negatively affect our other revenue streams much more than that 30mil.
I’m basing that £20 to 30 million on the profit forecast for the coming year. Whatever reduction in revenue we expect is probably being largely offset by reduced spending.

kopviolator

Selling teams can afford to bleed us even more when trying to sign one of their players
tongue in cheek. I thin the Glazers don't mind too much about our PL standing as long as the bottom line is healthy. And the club has worse worries than selling clubs taking advantage and that is players wanting to come here. Manchester United is a tough sell for proper players these days I think.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
If Apple did that revenue would fall and investors would demand a change. Our revenue keeps rising regardless of results. From a purely business perspective even lower spending might be the wise choice.
I've tried to think of this from a United perspective as well.

Is the general consensus to bide your time during the peak of other high profile teams in anticipation of a steep falloff? All the while 'timing your run' so to speak (heavy bursts of investment at crucial times), in order to compete for a period of time maximising investment value.

I'm genuinely intrigued by this concept.