"Red Devils" - did you know

NewtonHeathFC

scouse women prefer german men because they can st
do you know where the name spurs (no pun) from ?

forgive me for being captain obvious - when we were originally formed as Newton Heath, in accord with the name of our local district, we were called the "Heathens"
from there as United made the short journey over to bank street , a similarly short distance our nickname traveled from "The Heathens" to "The Red Devils".

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
In 1882 the Hotspur Football Club was formed by boys from a local grammar school and Hotspur Cricket Club. It is thought that the name Hotspur was associated with Sir Henry Percy (Sir Harry Hotspur) who lived locally in the 14th century. The team later became Tottenham Hotspur to distinguish itself from another team called London Hotspur.

or summat to that effect

giggsy1078

Is it true that the Vermin's YAWN was a United song? I heard it originated from the time following Munich.

NewtonHeathFC

In 1882 the Hotspur Football Club was formed by boys from a local grammar school and Hotspur Cricket Club. It is thought that the name Hotspur was associated with Sir Henry Percy (Sir Harry Hotspur) who lived locally in the 14th century. The team later became Tottenham Hotspur to distinguish itself from another team called London Hotspur.

or summat to that effect
im sorry mate , but i doubt people want to know about spurs

if you are referring to the first line of my post i merely used that as a verb

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
really ? i never heard such a thing ...
the version i know seems to make sense , but i cant argue much since i know nothing of Salford Rugby Club ...
any pictures ?
none i can locate right now, but i thin fredthered, GB and KK know of the emblem, ahve a word it seems a popular theory amongst united supporters

Dannyboy

Salford lost the uniqueness of their red devil nickname when local soccer team Manchester United decided to replace their "Busby's Babes" nickname following the Munich crash. Matt Busby liked the sound of "Red Devils", thinking a devil was more intimidating to opponents than angelic babes and Manchester United copied "The Red Devils" nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salford_City_Reds

Not the most reliable but source but you get the idea

northroad1878

A bit of a brute
Oh dear. But fair play for admitting you know nothing about our club. As with so many, though, I'm sure you "love the history and tradition of the club", ie: winning.

Couldn't give two shits about Benfica.

And YAWN is corrupted beyond words but even I have sung it at Old Trafford as an adult and I'm not yet 40.

sonymobby

Oh dear. But fair play for admitting you know nothing about our club. As with so many, though, I'm sure you "love the history and tradition of the club", ie: winning.

And YAWN is corrupted beyond words but even I have sung it at Old Trafford as an adult and I'm not yet 40.
Was this directed to me or the starter of the thread?:confused:

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
YAWN can clearly be heard from the United fans after we won the 77 final at Wembley.

NewtonHeathFC

Thread starter. The latest hero of the cnutish element of the mods, who is now embarrassed as an utter fraud.
did you renew your season ticket yet ? :)
you really have no principles , maybe you should sell FC to a yank so you can afford some web space and maybe run a forum, who knows maybe some unemployed pansy will agree to be a mod , maybe you'll get a proper discussion goin.
why dont ya go start workin on it and save us your bluenose moaning ?

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
YAWN can clearly be heard from the United fans after we won the 77 final at Wembley.
Liverpool fans were singing it in the sixties. One old female United fan claimed she and her friends started singing it at OT, I think just after Munich, and it caught on. It was originally from the musical show "Carousel" and so would have been widely known in the fifties so that story may be right.

As far as I'm aware it never fully caught on with United fans in the way it did later with Liverpool ones. However, Celtic fans claim they were singing it well before Liverpool and that the Scousers stole it from them. Of course, I personally find it hard to believe that the Scousers would steal anything. ;)

p_ps_sock

Football 365?!? I think not.

I feel like a know-nothing JCL just looking at the link.

:)
point proved me thinks

must feel good to look down upon all of creation knowing that you alone are the possessor of the truth, that you alone know what makes a fan a fan and everyone else is just plastic.

and attempting to label me as a know-nothing johnny come lately simply because I disagree with you is pathetic and immature

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

NHFC has added more to this site in his so far brief, but welcome, stay than you ever have. So settle the feck down.

Rob Bowman

I am just curious what point you see in posting this? Where do you think this is at all helpful? NHFC seems a wonderful chap and I am sure I like most posters could care less about meeting any of *your* criteria for being a United fan. Have a great day in your fortress of self-righteousness :).

TheGreyParrot

You'll never walk alone was sung by everybody for years, was a generic football song like here we go, or you're gonna get your fu**in' heads kicked in.
Many mancs used to sing "You'll never walk again" but the original version was often sung by reds. Not sure when it became a solely Liverpool (or Celtic if you must) song, but like blue moon at city it wasn't originally or solely theirs and don't let any scouser tell you otherwise.
Even is captured on some cup final you tube clip with United fans singing it but can't be bothered searching it out so you'll just have to trust me.

benst86

:lol:

I really doubt too many people know where "Red Devils" comes from orginally, especially as it's hardly used anymore. Does someone have to have a chronological timeline of events since the 19th century for you to call them a fan or something?

p_ps_sock

Just have a clue. Even the 90s fan should know this one as it's in the "Promised Land" video.

Basic knowledge.
what exactly is your problem?

give us the profile of someone who's allowed to support United then, is it being born within certain boundaries, being born before 1980, what criteria do you apply when judging who's a worthy fan?

btw what's your opinion on fans of, say, 50-55 years who were captivated by the babes but not neccessarily from manchester and have been supporters ever since? glory hunters?

benst86

Just have a clue. Even the 90s fan should know this one as it's in the "Promised Land" video.

Basic knowledge.
Maybe not every fan conforms to your idea of having to watch videos, read books, visit museums etc.

Maybe some fans are happy with just going to the games?

I've was born in 1986, and don't have any United videos, am I worthy of supporting United?