RedCafe Cricket Draft

Stretch

My write-up.

A.Cook - The boy wonder. Perhaps already the best batsman England has ever produced, perhaps he more than anybody has been the spearhead of England's recent golden era.

C.Gayle - Gayle force's impact on the West Indies test side should not be underestimated. Averaging well over 50 in the last three years before his exile, the man has blossomed into an aggressive and effective test opening batsman who can produce big scores on a whim. Just recently he returned to the Windies test side with a 200+ runs performance. Also a very useful spinner.

S.Fleming (C) - Averaging over 40, it is hard to express enough how galvanizing an effect Fleming was over the years for a faltering New Zealand. According to Shane Warne, "the best greatest captain he has ever seen." Not just a scorer of big runs, Fleming uses his superior cricketing brain to his advantage to eek out more wickets and less runs as a marshall on the field. With my bowling line-up already, opposing batsmen have nowhere to hide.

B.Lara – He’s smashed Australia, he’s smashed South Africa. He’s certainly smashed England, and he’s even smashed records that he smashed previously. A living legend of cricket.

J. Kallis - The jewel of South Africa. How many innings has this man glued together? Averaging over 57 with the bat and 32 with the ball, this man will go down as one of the all time greats - but you don't need me to tell you that.

A.Prince - One of the South Africa's premier batsmen of the 2000s, Prince has smashed centuries against the heavyweights of India, Australia and England. An average of 41.64 somewhat made to look worse due to an experiment as an opening batsman, his sturdiness and penchant for runs should not be underestimated. South Africa's first black captain for a reason.

M.Prior (wk) - Matty Prior, finally the wicketkeeper to replace Alec Stewart. A batting average of 43, Prior has turned England's quality batting order into a deep one. There's never any fear when Prior comes to the crease, as his 6 centuries and 22 50s in 55 matches attest to. He does not have a single weak spot against any test side, with notable innings scores for each one. His wicket keeping has also improved immeasurably; quite simply the best wicketkeeper today.

S.Pollock - What can you say about this man? A zipping seamer who could be a menace with the bat, taking the DNA of both his Father and Uncle to become one of the best all-rounders to ever grace the game. A bowling average of 23, he would have made any side in the world in his prime if even he were just pure bowler. Deadly accurate, affording no breathing space to the most refined of batsmen. An average of 32 with the bat, he's another player for your bowlers to huff and puff with against my deep batting order.

G.Swann - Burst onto the scene in late 2008 by taking two test wickets in one over in India, giving them a taste of their own medicine. Has gone on to take 188 wickets since then, and he hasn't even been in the game for four years. Averaging 29 with the ball, his economy rate is just as much a boon as his destructive innings, compiling an extraordinary hitlist in Sri Lanka earlier this year. Best in the game and an average of 22 with the bat as my number 9!

S.Akhtar - To face Shoaib, the fastest bowler alive, must be a frightening experience. Only a career marred in controversy and lack of fitness has us reluctant to elevate him to the pantheon of all time greats. But the speed demon took 170 odd wickets in just 46 tests, culminating in an ever thrilling but ever too short career. Striiiiiiiiiike.

C.Ambrose - "Curtly talk to no man." He lets the ball do the talking. There isn't a better fast bowler in the draft, truly. A mammoth of a man with his penchant for bounce. And when some of the pace left him later in his career, his intelligent seaming allowed no decline to his bowling. His average? Under 21. But it hardly needs to be said, given his legend and even his ghost as the last great pacer that haunts the current West Indies side.

Twelfth men - J. Rhodes, C. McMillan

Matchup analysis.

Interval Level has a good team. It’s balanced, and it’s effective. But with all due respect, I think I am at least slightly better than him in all departments. I’d favour Cook and Gayle to stay around for longer than Gambhir and Watson, and what was one of my weaknesses has turned into one of my biggest strengths – the middle order. Kallis and Lara are the centre pieces of which Fleming, Prince, and especially Prior would ably support them. Chanderpaul and Ponting are brilliant, but Shiv isn’t quite as good as Lara or Kallis in my humble opinion and their back-ups of Lehmann, Adams and McCullum fail to inspire as much as mine do. I’ve also got Pollock and Swann to make my batting ridiculously deep and they are far better 8s and 9s than Akram and Cork respectively.

IL’s bowling is dangerous with the addition of Donald. Him, Akram and Mushtaq are quite balanced against my Ambrose, Pollock and Swann – although I maintain Ambrose is, with McGrath, the best bowler in the draft. Still, the difference definitely becomes stark when we get down to the 4th and 5th options. It’s Akhtar over Cork any day, and Kallis over Watson as the 5th bowler is obvious.

I know it’s a bit crude comparing like for like – anything can happen on the day – but overall I believe that more often than not, my team would beat Interval Level’s.
I would actually have Kallis at 3, Lara 4 and Fleming 5 rather. Kallis was SA's 3 batsman for a while before Amla.

Red-Indian

Interval Level - Akram, S. Mushtaq, Chanderpaul, Watson, Gul, Brendan McCullum, Gambhir, Robin Smith, Jimmy Adams, Cork, Lehmann, Gurusinha, Ponting, Donald

IL XI
Gautam Gambhir:
3712 runs at 45.26. 9 hundreds, 19 fifties. Test player of the year 2008.

Shane Watson:
2328 runs at 37. 2 hundreds, 18 fifties. 59 wickets at 29. Supremely talented.

Ricky Ponting ©
13346 runs at 53. 41 hundreds and 62 fifties. One of the great batsmen of this era. Through 2000-09 he was scoring well over 60 average.

Jimmy Adams
3012 runs at 41 with 6 hundreds and 14 fifties. Average misleading; much better for the first part of his career of 30 matches or so where he had an average of close to 60. Grafter

Shiv Chanderpaul
10342 runs at 50. 25 hundreds and 61 fifties. Grafter. Try and get him out please.

Darren Lehmann
1800 runs at 45. 5 hundreds and 10 fifties in a short career of 27 matches. Flamboyant.

Brendon McCullum (WK)
3900 runs at 36. Average as a no 7 is 40. 6 hundreds and 23 fifties. Can play with tail enders.

Wasim Akram
414 wickets at 24. 2900 runs at 23. Top score of 257. Can swing the ball either way. Control. Partnership breaker. Thinking bowler.

Dominic Cork
131 wickets at 29. Out and out swing bowler. Difficult to handle. Batting average of 18 with 3 fifties. Tail wagger

Saqlain Mushtaq
208 wickets at 29. Never did his talent enough justice. On his day, unreadable and unplayable in all conditions. Batting of 15 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties. Tail Wagger

Allan Donald
330 wickets in 72 matches at 22. Do I need to say alot about him. Ferocious, quick and almost unplayable at times.
Good team Interval. That bowling's utterly awesome - Akram. Donald and Saqlain. fecking hell. Better than mbr's for me though it's close.

Think he shades the batting though. It's going to be a good game.

KM, you can probably start this whenever convenient. Poll's closed on Stretch Vs. me.

mightberight

Good team Interval. That bowling's utterly awesome - Akram. Donald and Saqlain. fecking hell. Better than mbr's for me though it's close.

Think he shades the batting though. It's going to be a good game.

KM, you can probably start this whenever convenient. Poll's closed on Stretch Vs. me.
Akhtar and Kallis v Cork and Watson is a big difference to me for the 4th and 5th bowlers.

Stretch

Fleming played 5 once though. I know he's the weaker batsman, but I think it best not to make the batting order too top-heavy.
Kallis is an absolute waste at 5 for me though. He can take long to get going. You risk him not being able to bat long with the tail and thus losing his staying power. That's just my opinion. Kallis does not bat at 5, only time's hes done this is when a night watch man has been used for example.

NM

@ RI: I would go with the spin attack as well.. It will make things interesting. 2 of the best 3 spinners in the last 20 years bowling in tandem..

mightberight

Kallis is an absolute waste at 5 for me though. He can take long to get going. You risk him not being able to bat long with the tail and thus losing his staying power. That's just my opinion. Kallis does not bat at 5, only time's hes done this is when a night watch man has been used for example.
I do see your point, but hopefully more often than not it'd be Lara and Kallis both at the crease!

Red-Indian

@ RI: I would go with the spin attack as well.. It will make things interesting. 2 of the best 3 spinners in the last 20 years bowling in tandem..
Thanks...it's much of a muchness otherwise in my opinion. Something different will spice things up. Besides it would be an insult to not have the greatest spinner of all time in the final. Already, i'm weeping on the inside for having passed on Warne.

We'll see about it anyway. No hurry.

NM

Thanks...it's much of a muchness otherwise in my opinion. Something different will spice things up. Besides it would be an insult to not have the greatest spinner of all time in the final. Already, i'm weeping on the inside for having passed on Warne.

We'll see about it anyway. No hurry.
Yeah - tbh, I think man for man, those teams are better than yours and will be once they take somebody else. However, a combination of two of the best spinners bowling together will destroy any batting IMO. It might swing it. That being said, Nash is a BIG weakness.

Red-Indian

Yeah - tbh, I think man for man, those teams are better than yours and will be once they take somebody else. However, a combination of two of the best spinners bowling together will destroy any batting IMO. It might swing it. That being said, Nash is a BIG weakness.
Nash is getting dropped for Murali or maybe Steyn. I might even drop McMillan and sub a batsman in. Murali and Kumble will hog a lot of the overs. No point in a fifth bowler especially with Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda all decent part timers.

Should be a fun final any which way. Let me see who i'm up against first though.

Red-Indian

Well i've made up my mind. I'll gamble and take Murali to form the greatest spin partnership in the history of cricket.

Smith
Sehwag
Lamb
Tendulkar
Clarke
Aravinda
Dujon
Streak
Kumble
McGrath
Murali

His batting's better obviously but i'll give it the old college try and see if I can't convince people that the spin wizards will sweep all before them.

I'll see what I can do about putting a write-up together tomorrow. Bit too busy to do it today unfortunately.

Stretch

Huge gamble with only 2 quicks yup, but nobody else has a Kumble/Murali spin combo. What a combo that is. Going to be a hectic final.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Whenever you guys want to do the write up tell me. This poll will be opened for 2 days.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Mmmm.. no spinners thing could hurt him.. he already has Kallis.. 5 pacers?

Anyway given you just picked Lara and Kallis in last 2 rounds, I think you can go with Akram...

mightberight

Akram would be for a bit of fun, really - a bit like what RI is doing with the two spinners. Don't want to drop Swann. But Ponting is a bit too obvious a fit to pass up, really ...

mightberight

A.Cook - The boy wonder. Perhaps already the best batsman England has ever produced, perhaps he more than anybody has been the spearhead of England's recent golden era.

C.Gayle - Gayle force's impact on the West Indies test side should not be underestimated. Averaging well over 50 in the last three years before his exile, the man has blossomed into an aggressive and effective test opening batsman who can produce big scores on a whim. Just recently he returned to the Windies test side with a 200+ runs performance. Also a very useful spinner.

R.Ponting - One of the toughest competitors the cricketing world has ever seen, and also one of the most gifted batsmen. Average of 53, 41 centuries ... just the start of a jaw-dropping middle order.

B.Lara – He’s smashed Australia, he’s smashed South Africa. He’s certainly smashed England, and he’s even smashed records that he smashed previously. A living legend of cricket.

J. Kallis - The jewel of South Africa. How many innings has this man glued together? Averaging over 57 with the bat and 32 with the ball, this man will go down as one of the all time greats - but you don't need me to tell you that.

S.Fleming (C) - Averaging over 40, it is hard to express enough how galvanizing an effect Fleming was over the years for a faltering New Zealand. According to Shane Warne, "the best greatest captain he has ever seen." Not just a scorer of big runs, Fleming uses his superior cricketing brain to his advantage to eek out more wickets and less runs as a marshall on the field. With my bowling line-up already, opposing batsmen have nowhere to hide.

M.Prior (wk) - Matty Prior, finally the wicketkeeper to replace Alec Stewart. A batting average of 43, Prior has turned England's quality batting order into a deep one. There's never any fear when Prior comes to the crease, as his 6 centuries and 22 50s in 55 matches attest to. He does not have a single weak spot against any test side, with notable innings scores for each one. His wicket keeping has also improved immeasurably; quite simply the best wicketkeeper today.

S.Pollock - What can you say about this man? A zipping seamer who could be a menace with the bat, taking the DNA of both his Father and Uncle to become one of the best all-rounders to ever grace the game. A bowling average of 23, he would have made any side in the world in his prime if even he were just pure bowler. Deadly accurate, affording no breathing space to the most refined of batsmen. An average of 32 with the bat, he's another player for your bowlers to huff and puff with against my deep batting order.

G.Swann - Burst onto the scene in late 2008 by taking two test wickets in one over in India, giving them a taste of their own medicine. Has gone on to take 188 wickets since then, and he hasn't even been in the game for four years. Averaging 29 with the ball, his economy rate is just as much a boon as his destructive innings, compiling an extraordinary hitlist in Sri Lanka earlier this year. Best in the game and an average of 22 with the bat as my number 9!

S.Akhtar - To face Shoaib, the fastest bowler alive, must be a frightening experience. Only a career marred in controversy and lack of fitness has us reluctant to elevate him to the pantheon of all time greats. But the speed demon took 170 odd wickets in just 46 tests, culminating in an ever thrilling but ever too short career. Striiiiiiiiiike.

C.Ambrose - "Curtly talk to no man." He lets the ball do the talking. There isn't a better fast bowler in the draft, truly. A mammoth of a man with his penchant for bounce. And when some of the pace left him later in his career, his intelligent seaming allowed no decline to his bowling. His average? Under 21. But it hardly needs to be said, given his legend and even his ghost as the last great pacer that haunts the current West Indies side.

Twelfth men - J. Rhodes, C. McMillan, A. Prince

NM

R.Ponting - One of the toughest competitors the cricketing world has ever seen, and also one of the most gifted batsmen. Average of 53, 41 centuries ... just the start of a jaw-dropping middle order.

Twelfth men - J. Rhodes, C. McMillan, A. Prince
That team is fecking amazing. The only players I don't rate much on it is Swann, and Prior (but only because I haven't seen much of Prior - can't make a judgement).

Red-Indian

RI's Spinning Dervishes

Well I can’t call them Bastards any more. Too many nice guys in there. Cringey new name but appropriate. Two greater spinners have never bowled together. And how complimentary they are – legspin and offspin, right angle turn from one and unerring accuracy from the other, flight and guile from one and endless varations from the other. 1400 wickets between the two of them. The world’s not ready for this.

Bowling at Stretch’s team is going to be one hell of a job. Luckily I have one hell of an attack. Apologies to Akram and Ambrose but I have the greatest fast bowler of the era in my team in McGrath. He’ll get me the initial breakthrough. That middle order might make some knees tremble but McGrath, Murali and Kumble have seen a few. Kumble’s taken Ponting 7 times in 17. McGrath’s had Lara’s number 15 times in 24 games. Murali’s snaffled Kallis 6 times in 10. Once the two of my spinners get bowling together in combo, it’ll be like a mongoose and a cobra. They’ll get to the jugular and won’t let go.

Batting wise while I don’t have the middle-order of mbr, I have more than enough to give the spin-meisters plenty to work with. Smith and Lamb will hunker down to see us through Ambrose and Pollock. Once the attack’s a little worn down, Tendulkar will greet Akhtar with a towering six over third man and the middle order will settle down to milking Swann and Kallis. Plus there’s always the X-factor of Sehwag. One game in 5, he’ll tear you apart.

The way I see this, it’ll be a little like the CL final last year. Mbr’s team will come in with all the flash and fire feeling all arrogant, Murali and Kumble will stifle the feck out of them and knock them down one after the other. We’ll need a little bit of luck to go our way and Smith will have to win the toss 3 times out of 5 to give the deadly duo use of a fourth innings pitch. We’ll win it ugly but we’ll fecking win it. McGrath, Smith, Streak, Lamb and Kumble wouldn’t have it any other way. Dujon’s never played in a losing series and he’s not about to fecking start now.

The XI

1. Graeme Smith (c)
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Allan Lamb
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Michael Clarke
6. Aravinda de Silva
7. Jeff Dujon (wk)
8. Heath Streak
9. Anil Kumble (vc)
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Muthiah Muralitharan

I think my team’s very nicely balanced with everyone in the position they’re best suited to.

Batting

Opening – Smith and Sehwag are easily the best opening partnership in the draft. Smith (8000 runs at 50) is probably the best opener of the last decade while Sehwag (8100 at 51) is the most explosive batsman in world cricket. Nice left and right combination as well.

Middle Order - At 3 I’ve got Allan Lamb – mainstay of the English middle order for a decade. Then comes the deluge. Sachin Tendulkar has 15,000 runs at an unbelievable 55, stroke players Clarke(6000 at 49) and deSilva (6300 at 43). They’re both quality players of spin and importantly for me in the middle get their runs quickly.

Lower Order Okay its 350 for 4 and you’ve made it past my devastating opening partnership and my formidable middle order. Can you breathe a sigh of relief? No...because Dujon at 7 is a strokeplayer averaging 32 with 5 centuries, Streak almost an allrounders with an average of 23. Anil Kumble at 9 has a test century and 5 fifties and was the usual nightwatchman for India. Poor McGrath and Murali are my rabbits.

Bowling

Glenn McGrath…I’m not even going to talk about except to say 563 wickets at 21 point fecking 6. Heath Streak was a one-man attack for Zimbabwe and a superb swing bowler with 216 wickets at 28. Then the piece de reistance – Murali and Kumble. The four of them together have 2200 wickets. I've decided I can live with 4 bowlers. Murali and Kumble will hog 70% of the overs anyway and I have 4 part-timers all decent quality – Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda. feck’s sake, even Smith has a few wickets.

One thing you’ll note about the bowlers is that they won’t shirk long spells. There’s not one among them that needs to be mothered and bowled in short spells.

Dujon’s one of the all-time great keepers and an incredible athlete.

Smith’s captain and I have a bunch to choose from for Vice-Captain. Streak, Clarke, Tendulkar and deSilva were all possibilities. I went with Kumble in the end because I think he’ll be a perfect complement for Smith’s aggression and impulsiveness.

mightberight

RI's team is ever so romantic, but with all due respect I don't think it will be matched by effectiveness. Spinners are a risk on a pitch where the ball won't turn or make any kind of movement whatsoever, which is why two fast bowlers is, in my opinion, a big mistake. It's also true that spinners become more effective as the wicket wears, and I suspect Lara and co will tonk them all over the park if they're used too much early on - EVEN the great spinners, as they'll be dealing with great batsmen.

And let's be honest, it's not as if Ponting, Lara and Kallis have ever struggled against Sri Lanka, India or Australia (obviously not for Ricky!) at their peaks. Yes they'll get out eventually, but usually not before they make a century or at least a 50.

But I'd be confident that in ANY circumstances, and I don't care if he adds Younis, Warne, Akram, Hadlee and Holding to his attack, that a top 5 with my calibre are going to score a lot of runs before we even get to Fleming, Prior, Pollock and Swann.

And if we're talking about batting depth, RI's is a paddling pool while mine is Olympic-sized. The difference between Pollock and Streak at 8 is stark, while Swann is a more accomplished batsman than Kumble. The same case applies with the two sides' batting quality; the contrast that sums it up quite eloquently is my Ponting at 3, and his Lamb ... lambs to the slaughter, perhaps.

My bowling attack may not have the utter star power (JUST) of RI's, but I think it's far more balanced and in truth, far more venomous. Pollock's line and length is bullseye over after over, Ambrose's bounce will find an edge time after time, Akhtar will knock your head off, Swann will hamper run scoring and take crucial wickets, and Kallis will swing RI's dreams further and further away from him. McGrath was a great but can't do it on his own as a fast bowler - I've got two greats, a should-have-been-but-nearly great and an all-round great.

So he's got Streak - competent but sticks out like a sore thumb in this match - and who as a 5th bowler? Michael Clarke??

So, who will win? RI talks about my team being arrogant, and I'll take that as a compliment. We know we're the best in the competition and we're not about to lose this final. It'll be interesting and there'll be a few minor slip ups with that unusual bowling attack, but I think I have more than enough quality to take the series.

KM

How fecking unlucky I was to face MBR in the first match. Could've given any other team a real bother.

KM

Anyway I'm starting the match.

Interval

Level
How fecking unlucky I was to face MBR in the first match. Could've given any other team a real bother.
Agreed. Very unlucky. On top of that he got Kallis off of you which made it impossible for us to beat him on basis of balance and depth,