RedCafe Cricket Draft

Red-Indian

I suggest Monday KM. I don't there's any point starting a match tomorrow with the weekend coming up. Give people a bit of a breather.

We can do one game each Monday & Tuesday and do the final over 2 days - Thursday & Friday.

By the way, Interval won that one

So it's

RI Vs. Stretch
Interval vs. MBR.

mightberight

So I've picked Lara.

I quite like Fleming at 3 instead of dropping him to 5. He had a telling average of 47 there, and there's enough of a sample size of him doing worse at 4 to make a difference. As long as it's not a crime to have Lara at 5 then I might just go with that.

Red-Indian

I haven't decided yet. Still dithering between Tendulkar and Warne. Warne fits better into the spirit of my team but Tendulkar addresses what most people seem to think is my weakness.

What do people think?

Stretch

I've got the Murali vs Dravid dilemma. Pick Murali and I'll def bowl you out, pick Dravid and I'd bat you out of the game...choices. I agree btw, matches on Monday would be better.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I haven't decided yet. Still dithering between Tendulkar and Warne. Warne fits better into the spirit of my team but Tendulkar addresses what most people seem to think is my weakness.

What do people think?
Has to be Tendulkar in my view. While you're attack isn't great, it does still have McGrath with Kumble as the main leg spinner. I remember not voting for you because I just didn't rate your 3 - 6 that highly.

Interval

Level
Crappy, DD: Judging by the fact that I'm facing mbr+Lara, does Sangakarra make more sense or Donald? Sangakarra will not be the keeper

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think your batting is solid. Add Alan Donald to your attack.

Red-Indian

Choosing between Warne and Tendulkar is for me choosing between arguably the best batsman and the best bowler in the draft. It's fecking tough. I guess everybody thinks my weakness is the middle-order so I'll take the ultimate middle order batsman in Tendulkar.

I have Kumble who's heaps better than Herath anyway. If he takes Murali, it's a little bit trickier but even then Kumble's fairly comparable...just one step below and I can try and live with that.

Red-Indian

So my new team

Smith
Sehwag
Clarke
Tendulkar
Aravinda
B McMillan
Dujon
Nash
Streak
Kumble
McGrath

Two options on that Number 3 slot which none of my batsmen are extremely comfortable with really.

1. There's been a lot of calls for Clarke to move up to 3 as Australia's best batsman recently. He's looked fine against pace bowling often facing the second new ball so i'm not really worried about how he'll do there. However, he personally likes No.5 and his technique while excellent is not...lets say circumspect. He loves to play his strokes

2. And this is what I acually favour. McMillan looked like giant slogger but in reality he was a very technically sound middle order batsman with a solid test average of 40. He spend mots of his career at 5 or 6 but I'll push him up the middle-order in case Veeru goes early as he occasionally can and he'll weather the storm to let the awesome 3 of Tendulkar, Clarke and Aravinda wreak havoc.

Any opinions?

Red-Indian

By the way Stretch, I'll try and put down my write-up over the weekend since Monday afternoons on the Cafe are mornings for me.

Choose who you're taking out of Murali and Dravid and let's get started Monday.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
So my new team

Smith
Sehwag
Clarke
Tendulkar
Aravinda
B McMillan
Dujon
Nash
Streak
Kumble
McGrath

Two options on that Number 3 slot which none of my batsmen are extremely comfortable with really.

1. There's been a lot of calls for Clarke to move up to 3 as Australia's best batsman recently. He's looked fine against pace bowling often facing the second new ball so i'm not really worried about how he'll do there. However, he personally likes No.5 and his technique while excellent is not...lets say circumspect. He loves to play his strokes

2. And this is what I acually favour. McMillan looked like giant slogger but in reality he was a very technically sound middle order batsman with a solid test average of 40. He spend mots of his career at 5 or 6 but I'll push him up the middle-order in case Veeru goes early as he occasionally can and he'll weather the storm to let the awesome 3 of Tendulkar, Clarke and Aravinda wreak havoc.

Any opinions?
That top 4 is lovely. After that it is a bit weak for me in context of this competition but it sort of redeems itself with a long lower order till Kumble at 10!

mightberight

Cook
Gayle
S.Fleming
Kallis
Lara
Prior (?)
Prince (?)
Pollock
Swann
Ambrose
Akhtar

Could do with a quick opinion - who would you guys rather have at 6, Prior or Prince?

Stretch

By the way Stretch, I'll try and put down my write-up over the weekend since Monday afternoons on the Cafe are mornings for me.

Choose who you're taking out of Murali and Dravid and let's get started Monday.
Cool, I'm going with Murali by the way.

Red-Indian

Here's the write-up for the Semi

RI's Bastards (now featuring Tendlya)

Well I call them Bastards but a couple of nice guys have crept in because I won too much and they’re too good. Even so the core of the team is still there – Smith, McGrath, Kumble, Streak are all hard men and sore losers. As I’ve said before, Dujon’s never played in a losing series.

Bowling at Stretch’s team, I’ll expect a quick breakthrough from. Dilshan’s a bit of a chancer in tests at his best and after keeping for ages, he’s not going to last too long. The middle-order’s good but nothing to really fear. Both Younis Khan and Tillekaratne are suspect against quality pace. Amla’s the main man but i’ve got the bowling to deal with it. High quality seam (McGrath and Nash), swing(Streak), bounce (McMillan) and spin (Kumble) coupled with partnership breakers in Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda.

I acknowledge I’m up against a quality bowling attack. I do however have a batting line-up packed with superstars. An awesome opening partnership in Sehwag and Smith and probably the best middle order now in the draft with quality players of spin to deal with Murali. On top of that, I’m going to get a few lives with Dilshan behind the stumps and a few extra runs as he struggles to keep to the likes of Steyn, Bishop and Lee.

Overall I think my batting line-up is clearly better while he shades the bowling. However he’s handicapped his bowling with a keeper who’s barely ever kept in tests while I’ve supported mine with one of greatest of all time. Plus I have that X-factor - my team just hates losing.

The XI

1. Graeme Smith (c)
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Brian McMillan
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Michael Clarke
6. Aravinda de Silva
7. Jeff Dujon (wk)
8. Heath Streak
9. Dion Nash
10. Anil Kumble (vc)
11. Glenn McGrath

Batting

Opening – Smith and Sehwag are easily the best opening partnership in the draft. Smith (8000 runs at 50) is probably the best opener of the last decade while Sehwag (8100 at 51) is the most explosive batsman in world cricket. Nice left and right combination as well.

Middle Order - At 3 I’ve got Brian McMillan who didn’t bat there too often but was a technically perfect middle order batsman accumulating 2000 runs with an average of 40. Then comes the deluge. Sachin Tendulkar has 15,000 runs at an unbelievable 55 followed by stroke players Clarke(6000 at 49) and deSilva (6300 at 43). They’re both quality players of spin and importantly for me in the middle get their runs quickly.

Lower Order Okay its 350 for 5 and you’ve made it past my devastating opening partnership and my awesome middle order. Can you breathe a sigh of relief? No...because Dujon at 7 is a strokeplayer averaging 32 with 5 centuries, Streak and Nash are almost allrounders with averages of 22 and 23. Anil Kumble at 10 has a fecking test century and 5 fifties and was the usual nightwatchman for India. You’ll get McGrath quickly enough I suppose if you make it that far.

Bowling

Glenn McGrath…I’m not even going to talk about except to say 563 wickets at 21 point fecking 6. Heath Streak was a one-man attack for Zimbabwe and a superb swing bowler with 216 wickets at 28. Dion Nash when not injured or smoking pot was a lively bowler who got 93 wickets at 28. Big Mac was a very underrated allrounder…international cricket came a little late for him in his career but he still managed 74 wickets at 34 always hitting the deck hard and making batsmen uncomfortable with his bounce. Now my spin option - Kumble has 619 wickets and every legspinner’s trick in the book plus some he's invented. An interesting thing about my team – I have 4 part-timers all decent quality – Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda. feck’s sake, even Smith has a few wickets.

One thing you’ll note about the bowlers is that they won’t shirk long spells. There’s not one among them that needs to be mothered and bowled in short spells.

Dujon’s one of the all-time great keepers and an incredible athlete. Personally, I think McMillan’s the best slip fielder I have ever seen.

Smith’s captain and I have a bunch to choose from for Vice-Captain. Streak, Clarke and deSilva were all possibilities. I went with Kumble in the end because I think he’ll be a perfect complement for Smith’s aggression and impulsiveness.

NM

RI's Bastards (now featuring Tendlya)

Well I call them Bastards but a couple of nice guys have crept in because I won too much and they’re too good. Even so the core of the team is still there – Smith, McGrath, Kumble, Streak are all hard men and sore losers. As I’ve said before, Dujon’s never played in a losing series.

Bowling at Stretch’s team, I’ll expect a quick breakthrough from. Dilshan’s a bit of a chancer in tests at his best and after keeping for ages, he’s not going to last too long. The middle-order’s good but nothing to really fear. Both Younis Khan and Tillekaratne are suspect against quality pace. Amla’s the main man but i’ve got the bowling to deal with it. High quality seam (McGrath and Nash), swing(Streak), bounce (McMillan) and spin (Kumble) coupled with partnership breakers in Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda.

I acknowledge I’m up against a quality bowling attack. I do however have a batting line-up packed with superstars. An awesome opening partnership in Sehwag and Smith and probably the best middle order now in the draft with quality players of spin to deal with Murali. On top of that, I’m going to get a few lives with Dilshan behind the stumps and a few extra runs as he struggles to keep to the likes of Steyn, Bishop and Lee.

Overall I think my batting line-up is clearly better while he shades the bowling. However he’s handicapped his bowling with a keeper who’s barely ever kept in tests while I’ve supported mine with one of greatest of all time. Plus I have that X-factor - my team just hates losing.

The XI

1. Graeme Smith (c)
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Aravinda de Silva
5. Michael Clarke
6. Brian McMillan
7. Jeff Dujon (wk)
8. Heath Streak
9. Dion Nash
10. Anil Kumble (vc)
11. Glenn McGrath

Batting

Opening – Smith and Sehwag are easily the best opening partnership in the draft. Smith (8000 runs at 50) is probably the best opener of the last decade while Sehwag (8100 at 51) is the most explosive batsman in world cricket. Nice left and right combination as well.

Middle Order - At 3 I’ve got Brian McMillan who didn’t bat there too often but was a technically perfect middle order batsman accumulating 2000 runs with an average of 40. Then comes the deluge. Sachin Tendulkar has 15,000 runs at an unbelievable 55 followed by stroke players Clarke(6000 at 49) and deSilva (6300 at 43). They’re both quality players of spin and importantly for me in the middle get their runs quickly.

Lower Order Okay its 350 for 5 and you’ve made it past my devastating opening partnership and my awesome middle order. Can you breathe a sigh of relief? No...because Dujon at 7 is a strokeplayer averaging 32 with 5 centuries, Streak and Nash are almost allrounders with averages of 22 and 23. Anil Kumble at 10 has a fecking test century and 5 fifties and was the usual nightwatchman for India. You’ll get McGrath quickly enough I suppose if you make it that far.

Bowling

Glenn McGrath…I’m not even going to talk about except to say 563 wickets at 21 point fecking 6. Heath Streak was a one-man attack for Zimbabwe and a superb swing bowler with 216 wickets at 28. Dion Nash when not injured or smoking pot was a lively bowler who got 93 wickets at 28. Big Mac was a very underrated allrounder…international cricket came a little late for him in his career but he still managed 74 wickets at 34 always hitting the deck hard and making batsmen uncomfortable with his bounce. Now my spin option - Kumble has 619 wickets and every legspinner’s trick in the book plus some he's invented. An interesting thing about my team – I have 4 part-timers all decent quality – Clarke, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Aravinda. feck’s sake, even Smith has a few wickets.

One thing you’ll note about the bowlers is that they won’t shirk long spells. There’s not one among them that needs to be mothered and bowled in short spells.

Dujon’s one of the all-time great keepers and an incredible athlete. Personally, I think McMillan’s the best slip fielder I have ever seen.

Smith’s captain and I have a bunch to choose from for Vice-Captain. Streak, Clarke and deSilva were all possibilities. I went with Kumble in the end because I think he’ll be a perfect complement for Smith’s aggression and impulsiveness.
You need to change your batting order - you currently have Tendulkar at 3, but have Mcmillan there in your description

Stretch

1. Kepler Wessels (c) – Scoring 2788 runs at an ave of 41.00; dogged opener capable of seeing of the most potent seam attacks as he showed on debut for Aus scoring 162 against an England attack with Botham and Bob Willis. He also averaged 56 vs a Windies side with Marshall, Garner and Walsh. Wessels was an innings builder but even if he failed to score much at times, he'd see of the shine on the new nut to allow others to flourish.
2. Tillakaratne Dilshan (wk) – Scoring 5028 runs at an ave of 41.21; he’s got 80 tests under his belt and the exact opposite to Wessels in batting style. Aggressive and loves playing his shots, Dilshan is well travelled boasting an average of almost 50 in England.
3. Hashim Amla – Scoring 4775 runs at an ave of 50.26; Hash is a genius in the making, if not already. He’s been in immense form since 2009 for SA scoring 3733 runs at an ave of 59.25 and 12 hundreds since then.
4. Younis Khan (vc) – Scoring over 6500 runs at an ave of 51.69 with 20 centuries; Younis is a modern Pakistan great. He’s known for being a fighter when the chips are down and is known for his rearguard specialties. A master of the 4th innings, could be vital against a potent bowling attack.
5. Thilan Samaraweera – Having scored over 5000 runs at an ave of 51.29; Samaraweera is mister dependable and a mainstay in the Sri Lanka line up. His main strength is his patience which wears bowlers down. His 2 recent centuries in South Africa is testament to his determination.
6. Andrew Symonds – Scoring 1462 runs at an ave of 40.61; Symonds provides an attacking option with gusto after a line-up featuring sturdy batsmen. A brilliant fielder and decent enough part time bowler, capable of the all-important ‘partnership breaking’ ball.
7. Tim Bresnan – The one risky pick in the line-up with only 15 tests, Bresnan does provide a much needed balance to the side having scored 3 50s and taken 56 wickets at 28s; between Tim and Strang (12th man), they provide good options to balance the side depending on opposition.
8. Brett Lee – Having taken 312 wickets at 30s, Brett was just short being a great due to his injury concerns. At his best though, Lee took 58 scalps (shortly after McGrath’s retirement, 07/08) at 21s allowing Australia to still dominate. Capable of bowling at 150clicks with outswing with the new ball and reverse swing (to right hander) with the older ball, he’s a dependable wicket taker at his best. Having scored 5 50s and averaging 20.15 with the bat, he’s a great lower order batsman to have.
9. Dale Steyn - My frontline opening strike bowler. With 272 wickets at 23s and taking a wicket every 41 balls, Dale is devastating, and bar any serious injuries will certainly surpass other SA fast bowling greats to become the best from SA. He can swing the ball both ways, and lift his pace to 150clicks when needed. His accuracy is his strongest feat.
10. Muttiah Muralitharan – errr...800 wickets at 22s, 67 5w hauls, 22 10w hauls on all kinds of pitches against all kinds of batting lineups.
11. Ian Bishop – The teams other main opening strike bowler, Bishop took 161 wickets at 24s and strike rate of 52. With a high side on action, he had pace and could move the ball of the seam. He got steep bounce from just back of a length and could really upset batsmen. Unfortunately for him, his career was cut short with injuries, else we’d be talking of the great trio of Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop today.

12th man: Paul Strang over since he's an agile fielder

Strengths:

Arguably the best pace attack in the draft with Steyn, Bishop and Lee supplemented with Bresnan. Murali needs no introduction and he gives me my main strike option alongside Steyn and Bishop. Murali can bowl for ages and with Bresnan as 5th bowler, I can use my quicks very effectively in burst of blistering pace. Symonds can assist if need be but I don't foresee the need. My opening batting pair is solid and proven openers at test level, especially Wessels who's record shows that he could face the fiercest pace attacks in the world. Whilst Dilshan's average goes down when he's kept, we should not lose sight of the fact that over a 5 match series there will be times that I bat first, and if that's the case then keeping will have absolutely NO effect on his batting. Dilshan can take the game away from RI in one session if he gets going. The middle order oozes class with Amla, Khan and Samaraweera. Amla has been scoring runs for fun against all kinds of attacks since 2009 at averages of 60. Khan is a fighter, an accumulator and provides valuable leadership to assist Wessels with captaincy issues. Thilan can occupy the crease for long periods and shows sheer grit when bats. Let's dispel one myth very very quickly, Thilan Samaraweera has sorted his main issues against fast bowling on bouncy pitches. I've witnessed it first hand when in the most recent tour in SA where he had to face a great pace attack on bouncy wickets, he scored 2 centuries as Steyn and co toiled in the sun to remove him. He along with Khan have been shown to be masters of batting with the tail. With Symonds and Bresnan at 6 and 7 I have 2 aggressive batters that will accelerate the scoring if needed. They will mostly be batting with the likes of Thilan and Younis anchoring on the other end allowing them to wield their blades when the ball's there to hit.

I have the middle order capable of dealing with his spin and the top order to deal with his pace. Even if Dilshan doesn't come off, I'd bet on Wessels and Amla to bat looooooooong and make McGrath and co toil hard.

RI's main strength is his top 3 batsmen, Smith, Sehwag and Sachin. However, I'd wager I could get Sehwag out pretty quickly with the pace attack I have. In fact, the fact that I have Steyn, Bishop and Lee can get me into the middle order pretty quickly. Tendulkar vs Murali is huge in the context of the match and both have had success vs the other, but I'll note, Murali has dismissed Tendulkar 8 times out of 19 innings.

And to stop the blatant lying that's been going in some matches (;)) I will post what I perceive my weaknesses to be.

Weaknesses:

I concede, Dilshan as WK is a liability. I admit I thought he played more as wk in tests. However, he's a very agile fielder and I have great slip fielders in the likes of Wessels, Khan and co to make up for any mishaps. Also, I do know Bresnan is a risk as he's not played that much, but I do believe he can add to the team. Bresnan will be employed as a batsman at 7 who can bowl.

KM

That's a great tea there. Great top 4 and the bowling line up is amazing.

Btw who wants to have their match today?

mightberight

My write-up.

A.Cook - The boy wonder. Perhaps already the best batsman England has ever produced, perhaps he more than anybody has been the spearhead of England's recent golden era.

C.Gayle - Gayle force's impact on the West Indies test side should not be underestimated. Averaging well over 50 in the last three years before his exile, the man has blossomed into an aggressive and effective test opening batsman who can produce big scores on a whim. Just recently he returned to the Windies test side with a 200+ runs performance. Also a very useful spinner.

S.Fleming (C) - Averaging over 40, it is hard to express enough how galvanizing an effect Fleming was over the years for a faltering New Zealand. According to Shane Warne, "the best greatest captain he has ever seen." Not just a scorer of big runs, Fleming uses his superior cricketing brain to his advantage to eek out more wickets and less runs as a marshall on the field. With my bowling line-up already, opposing batsmen have nowhere to hide.

B.Lara – He’s smashed Australia, he’s smashed South Africa. He’s certainly smashed England, and he’s even smashed records that he smashed previously. A living legend of cricket.

J. Kallis - The jewel of South Africa. How many innings has this man glued together? Averaging over 57 with the bat and 32 with the ball, this man will go down as one of the all time greats - but you don't need me to tell you that.

A.Prince - One of the South Africa's premier batsmen of the 2000s, Prince has smashed centuries against the heavyweights of India, Australia and England. An average of 41.64 somewhat made to look worse due to an experiment as an opening batsman, his sturdiness and penchant for runs should not be underestimated. South Africa's first black captain for a reason.

M.Prior (wk) - Matty Prior, finally the wicketkeeper to replace Alec Stewart. A batting average of 43, Prior has turned England's quality batting order into a deep one. There's never any fear when Prior comes to the crease, as his 6 centuries and 22 50s in 55 matches attest to. He does not have a single weak spot against any test side, with notable innings scores for each one. His wicket keeping has also improved immeasurably; quite simply the best wicketkeeper today.

S.Pollock - What can you say about this man? A zipping seamer who could be a menace with the bat, taking the DNA of both his Father and Uncle to become one of the best all-rounders to ever grace the game. A bowling average of 23, he would have made any side in the world in his prime if even he were just pure bowler. Deadly accurate, affording no breathing space to the most refined of batsmen. An average of 32 with the bat, he's another player for your bowlers to huff and puff with against my deep batting order.

G.Swann - Burst onto the scene in late 2008 by taking two test wickets in one over in India, giving them a taste of their own medicine. Has gone on to take 188 wickets since then, and he hasn't even been in the game for four years. Averaging 29 with the ball, his economy rate is just as much a boon as his destructive innings, compiling an extraordinary hitlist in Sri Lanka earlier this year. Best in the game and an average of 22 with the bat as my number 9!

S.Akhtar - To face Shoaib, the fastest bowler alive, must be a frightening experience. Only a career marred in controversy and lack of fitness has us reluctant to elevate him to the pantheon of all time greats. But the speed demon took 170 odd wickets in just 46 tests, culminating in an ever thrilling but ever too short career. Striiiiiiiiiike.

C.Ambrose - "Curtly talk to no man." He lets the ball do the talking. There isn't a better fast bowler in the draft, truly. A mammoth of a man with his penchant for bounce. And when some of the pace left him later in his career, his intelligent seaming allowed no decline to his bowling. His average? Under 21. But it hardly needs to be said, given his legend and even his ghost as the last great pacer that haunts the current West Indies side.

Twelfth men - J. Rhodes, C. McMillan

Matchup analysis.

Interval Level has a good team. It’s balanced, and it’s effective. But with all due respect, I think I am at least slightly better than him in all departments. I’d favour Cook and Gayle to stay around for longer than Gambhir and Watson, and what was one of my weaknesses has turned into one of my biggest strengths – the middle order. Kallis and Lara are the centre pieces of which Fleming, Prince, and especially Prior would ably support them. Chanderpaul and Ponting are brilliant, but Shiv isn’t quite as good as Lara or Kallis in my humble opinion and their back-ups of Lehmann, Adams and McCullum fail to inspire as much as mine do. I’ve also got Pollock and Swann to make my batting ridiculously deep and they are far better 8s and 9s than Akram and Cork respectively.

IL’s bowling is dangerous with the addition of Donald. Him, Akram and Mushtaq are quite balanced against my Ambrose, Pollock and Swann – although I maintain Ambrose is, with McGrath, the best bowler in the draft. Still, the difference definitely becomes stark when we get down to the 4th and 5th options. It’s Akhtar over Cork any day, and Kallis over Watson as the 5th bowler is obvious.

I know it’s a bit crude comparing like for like – anything can happen on the day – but overall I believe that more often than not, my team would beat Interval Level’s.

zing

Zingle balls
ridiculously good team... but I thought Donadol won the last matchup and not Interval? either way mightberight's gonna blow them away, i think.. and if he wins, he'll have one of the best ever #3s slotting in..

mightberight

ridiculously good team... but I thought Donadol won the last matchup and not Interval? either way mightberight's gonna blow them away, i think.. and if he wins, he'll have one of the best ever #3s slotting in..
Thanks ... and going on the last few posts of their match-up it seems like someone changed their vote which took it to a draw, and then sammsky cast the deciding one after the deadline was finished. At least I think that's what happened ...

NM

Thanks ... and going on the last few posts of their match-up it seems like someone changed their vote which took it to a draw, and then sammsky cast the deciding one after the deadline was finished. At least I think that's what happened ...
MJJ changed vote. If/when mightberight wins and drops Prince for a better batsman, he will definitely win it all.. That lineup is amazing.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
MBR already had a good team, getting Kallis and Lara in 2 rounds was just too good to be true.

He was also lucky to come up against a below average bowling attack in round 1. KM's best bowler was Anderson....

Red-Indian

Interesting thought. All 4 semi-finalists picked a bowler first and in all cases except Stretch picked a bowler second as well

Interval - Akram, Saqlain (or did he take Chanderpaul next? Think it was Saqlain)
Mightberight - Ambrose, Pollock
RI - McGrath, Kumble
Stretch - Bishop

Shows how scarce and important bowlers were in this draft and therefore era I guess. We were all able to build a decent batting despite these early picks.

Interval

Level
Interval Level - Akram, S. Mushtaq, Chanderpaul, Watson, Gul, Brendan McCullum, Gambhir, Robin Smith, Jimmy Adams, Cork, Lehmann, Gurusinha, Ponting, Donald

IL XI
Gautam Gambhir:
3712 runs at 45.26. 9 hundreds, 19 fifties. Test player of the year 2008.

Shane Watson:
2328 runs at 37. 2 hundreds, 18 fifties. 59 wickets at 29. Supremely talented.

Ricky Ponting ©
13346 runs at 53. 41 hundreds and 62 fifties. One of the great batsmen of this era. Through 2000-09 he was scoring well over 60 average.

Jimmy Adams
3012 runs at 41 with 6 hundreds and 14 fifties. Average misleading; much better for the first part of his career of 30 matches or so where he had an average of close to 60. Grafter

Shiv Chanderpaul
10342 runs at 50. 25 hundreds and 61 fifties. Grafter. Try and get him out please.

Darren Lehmann
1800 runs at 45. 5 hundreds and 10 fifties in a short career of 27 matches. Flamboyant.

Brendon McCullum (WK)
3900 runs at 36. Average as a no 7 is 40. 6 hundreds and 23 fifties. Can play with tail enders.

Wasim Akram
414 wickets at 24. 2900 runs at 23. Top score of 257. Can swing the ball either way. Control. Partnership breaker. Thinking bowler.

Dominic Cork
131 wickets at 29. Out and out swing bowler. Difficult to handle. Batting average of 18 with 3 fifties. Tail wagger

Saqlain Mushtaq
208 wickets at 29. Never did his talent enough justice. On his day, unreadable and unplayable in all conditions. Batting of 15 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties. Tail Wagger

Allan Donald
330 wickets in 72 matches at 22. Do I need to say alot about him. Ferocious, quick and almost unplayable at times.

KM

MBR already had a good team, getting Kallis and Lara in 2 rounds was just too good to be true.

He was also lucky to come up against a below average bowling attack in round 1. KM's best bowler was Anderson....
Harsh I had Morne Morkel, Shane Bond and Kallis also.