Redcafe PL Awards

PSV

Player of the Season - Kevin De Bruyne
Young Player of the Season (U-21) - Mason Greenwood
Worst Player - Danny Drinkwater (off field), Kepa (on field).
Manager of the Season - Jürgen Klopp
Team of the Season - Liverpool
Best Team - (4-1-2-3) Schmeichel - Trent, van Dijk, Laporte, Robertson - Ndidi - de Bruyne, Bruno - Salah, Vardy, Sterling.
Best Signing - Bruno Fernandes (Man Utd)
Worst Signing - Alex Iwobi (Everton)
Funniest Moment - Watford.
VAR Moment of the Year - Bruno penalty.
Covidiot of the Year - The fella at Liverpool that wanted to furlough, truly embarrassing.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
POTY: De Bruyne
TOTY:
--------------------------------Pope-----------------------------------------
TAA----------VVD------------------Maguire---------------Robertson
------------------------------Henderson---------------------------------
------------DeBruyne----------------------Bruno----------------------
Salah----------------------Vardy------------------------Rashford

I don't know why Maguire gets so much slack. It's not his fault he cost as much as he did, but you cannot ignore the fact that our goals against went from 56 to 36. And this despite De Gea not being able to save a beach ball. What other team reduced their goals against by 20 goals? Maguire deserves respect. As for the rest of my team, I don't care that bruno just arrived in January. He completely transformed our team and deserves to be there. As for Rashford, that's just my bias coming through, but with his 17 goals and 7 assists, it's not an unreasonable selection. And as good as Ings has been, I'm not sure how the OP could leave the golden boot winner out of the TOTY...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
POTY: De Bruyne
TOTY:
--------------------------------Pope-----------------------------------------
TAA----------VVD------------------Maguire---------------Robertson
------------------------------Henderson---------------------------------
------------DeBruyne----------------------Bruno----------------------
Salah----------------------Vardy------------------------Rashford

I don't know why Maguire gets so much slack. It's not his fault he cost as much as he did, but you cannot ignore the fact that our goals against went from 56 to 36. And this despite De Gea not being able to save a beach ball. What other team reduced their goals against by 20 goals? Maguire deserves respect. As for the rest of my team, I don't care that bruno just arrived in January. He completely transformed our team and deserves to be there. As for Rashford, that's just my bias coming through, but with his 17 goals and 7 assists, it's not an unreasonable selection. And as good as Ings has been, I'm not sure how the OP could leave the golden boot winner out of the TOTY...
Well, there's the fact that the team Maguire left reduced its goals against by 7 - hard to attribute Man Utd's improvements to a single player, especially when the situation he left also improved. Including him in the TotS is patently ludicrous. This is notwithstanding Rashford over Mane... :lol:

RooneyLegend

Player of the Year - De Bruyne
Manager of the Year - Klopp
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Greenwood
Worst Player - Mustafi
Best Signing - Ings
Worst Signing - Joelinton
Funniest Moment - Mustafi's version of defending
VAR Moment of the Year - Bruno fouling be to get a pen.
Covidiot of the Year - Grealish

AshRK

Worst Player -
Best Signing - Fernandes
Worst Signing - Iwobi
Funniest Moment - Arsenal losing to Brighton and AFTV going crazy
VAR Moment of the Year - That Spurs 2-0 win game over city. It was a total madness.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Player of the Year - Kevin De Bruyne
Manager of the Year - Chris Wilder
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Mason Greenwood
Worst Player - Kepa
Best Signing - Bruno Fernandes
Funniest Moment - Lingard's goal
VAR Moment of the Year - Hawkeye incident Villa/Sheff United
Covidiot of the Year - Jack Grealish

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Manager of the Year - Wilder
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - TAA
Worst Player - Kepa
Best Signing - Ings
Funniest Moment - Mourinho celebrating 6th
VAR Moment of the Year - Villa being saved from relegation due to that Goal-line tech/Var situation.
Covidiot of the Year - Walker

Team of the Season

Alison
TAA VVD Soyuncu Digne
Henderson Ndidi
De Bruyne Fernandes
Ings Vardy

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, there's the fact that the team Maguire left reduced its goals against by 7 - hard to attribute Man Utd's improvements to a single player, especially when the situation he left also improved
Eh? Nothing to do with Leicester hiring better manager in Feb last season, under whom their defence improved so much, conceding just 10 goals in 11 games.

It's amazing how people just leave the biggest factor to make their point.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Player of the Year - Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)
Manager of the Year - Chris Wilder (Sheffield United)
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Trent Alexander Arnold (Liverpool)
Worst Player - Kepa Arrizabalaga (Chelsea)
Best Signing - Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
Worst Signing - Sebastian Haller (West Ham United)
Funniest Moment - Leicester City imploding at Bournemouth in the second half.
Most Horrifying Moment - Ederson KO-ing Garcia and joking about it later
VAR Moment of the Year - Villa being saved from relegation due to VAR failing at Sheffield United.
Covidiot of the Year - Kyle Walker
Manchester United Player of the Year - Marcus Rashford
Team of the Season:

------------------------------Pope-------------------------------
---Trent-----VVD-----Azpilicueta---Robertson---
---------------------------Henderson------------------------
-------------------KDB---------------Bruno------------------
-------Salah------------Vardy--------------Sterling-----

Subs: Leno, AWB, Digne, Laporte, Ndidi, Maddison, Traore, Mane, Martial

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well, there's the fact that the team Maguire left reduced its goals against by 7 - hard to attribute Man Utd's improvements to a single player, especially when the situation he left also improved. Including him in the TotS is patently ludicrous. This is notwithstanding Rashford over Mane... :lol:
So our goals against improves by 20 with our keeper being horrible and you want to point out a mistake that he made as proof that he isn't a fantastic player and deserve to be in the team of the year? If your expectations is that our defenders will never make any mistakes then you are going to be very disappointed. The mere fact that you went out of your way to look up how Leicester did without him also proves that you have an obvious agenda against him...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Eh? Nothing to do with Leicester hiring better manager in Feb last season, under whom their defence improved so much, conceding just 10 goals in 11 games.

This is exactly my point - if Maguire was some sort of defensive wizard who was so good that he could single-handedly improve a side's defensive performance by 20 goals then surely you'd expect a similar impact the other way on the side he'd just left?

I'm not saying Maguire is a bad player, but saying his signing has improved United by 20 goals is just silly (especially when you've also signed AWB who for me has been the better of the two).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So our goals against improves by 20 with our keeper being horrible and you want to point out a mistake that he made as proof that he isn't a fantastic player and deserve to be in the team of the year? If your expectations is that our defenders will never make any mistakes then you are going to be very disappointed. The mere fact that you went out of your way to look up how Leicester did without him also proves that you have an obvious agenda against him...
What on earth? What mistake do you think I'm talking about? I also highly doubt you knew off the top of your head the number of goals Man Utd conceded last season; googling "PL table 18/19" and "PL table 19/20" in two different tabs is hardly a burdensome amount of work, but perhaps this is just my agenda speaking.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - TAA (Greenwood's emergence was absolutely special and I'd put him as the breakthrough player of the year, but TAA's impact on Liverpool's title-winning campaign was just insane, I'd probably have him as their POTY)
Worst Player - Kepa
Best Signing - Bruno
Worst Signing - Ndombele
Funniest Moment -

VAR Moment of the Year - Lucas Moura*
*Villa's goal was on Hawkeye, can't honestly blame anyone involved since this was literally the first ever Hawkeye mistake that I've witnessed.
Covidiot of the Year - Novak Jokovic

Team of the Season

Henderson
TAA - Van Dijk - Tarkowski - Robertson
De Bruyne - Fabinho - Bruno
Sterling - Vardy - Mané​

roonster09

Scout
This is exactly my point - if Maguire was some sort of defensive wizard who was so good that he could single-handedly improve a side's defensive performance by 20 goals then surely you'd expect a similar impact the other way on the side he'd just left?

I'm not saying Maguire is a bad player, but saying his signing has improved United by 20 goals is just silly (especially when you've also signed AWB who for me has been the better of the two).
Nothing to do with Maguire and I don't really care tbh how he is rated, it was about how you completely ignored the reason for Leicester's improved defensive record when it was even better with Maguire under Rodgers.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Player of the Year - Kevin De Bruyne
Manager of the Year - Jurgen Klopp
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Trent Alexander Arnold
Worst Player - Kepa Arrizabalaga
Worst Signing - Nicolas Pepe
Best moment - United getting CL for next season.
Worst moment: We all know.

Team of the Season
Alisson
Arnold - Van Dijk - Maguire - Robertson
Fabinho
KdB - Fernandes
Salah - Aubameyang - Mane​

If Fernandes hasn't been around for enough to count then Ndidi for him. A bit harsh on Silva & Sterling but Pool have been too good.
A bit of a toss-up between Ings, Aubameyang and Vardy up top, but Auba gets it for me.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Worst Player - Benteke
Best Signing - Bruno
Worst Signing - Iwobi
Funniest Moment - Guardiola “Thank you so much” Liverpool meltdown.
VAR Moment of the Year - Sheffield United ghost goal and subsequent cover-up
Covidiot of the Year - Walker, no contest

Team of the season:-

Henderson, TAA, Tarkowski, VVD, Digne, Henderson, KdB, Mount, Martial, Ings, Mane

Subs

Alisson, Maguire, Robertson, Fabinho, Bruno, Mahrez, Vardy

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing to do with Maguire and I don't really care tbh how he is rated, it was about how you completely ignored the reason for Leicester's improved defensive record when it was even better with Maguire under Rodgers.
You're citing an 11 game sample size with his previous club as evidence that he's solely responsible for a 20 goal improvement at Man United?

My entire point is that attributing the improvement of a team to a single defender is silly, especially when there is turnover in other positions. I genuinely don't understand how this is controversial - do you really think signing Maguire singlehandedly saved you 20 goals this season?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Trent Alexander Arnold
Worst Player - Benteke
Best Signing - Ings
Worst Signing - Haller
Funniest Moment - Watford’s GD feck up the other night was funny
VAR Moment of the Year - Chelsea’s 2 disallowed goals against us
Covidiot of the Year - Walker?

Team of the Season

Allisson, TAA, Van Dijk, Maguire, Robertson, Henderson, De Bruyne, Mane, Sterling, Vardy, Ings.

Classical Mechanic

Worst Player - Kepa
Worst Signing - Ndombele
Funniest Moment - Brenda’s big bottle job
VAR Moment of the Year - Villa

Team of the Season

Allison, TAA, VVD, Maguire, Robertson, Henderson, KDB, Fernandes, Mane, Salah, Vardy.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Player of the Season - Kevin De Bruyne
Young Player of the Season (U-21) - TAA
Worst Player - N/A.
Manager of the Season - Jürgen Klopp
Team of the Season - Liverpool
Best Team - (4-1-2-3) Schmeichel - Trent, van Dijk, Maguire, Robertson - Ndidi - de Bruyne, Bruno - Salah, Vardy, Sterling.
Worst Signing - N/A.
Funniest Moment - N/A.
VAR Moment of the Year - N/A.
Covidiot of the Year - N/A.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What on earth? What mistake do you think I'm talking about? I also highly doubt you knew off the top of your head the number of goals Man Utd conceded last season; googling "PL table 18/19" and "PL table 19/20" in two different tabs is hardly a burdensome amount of work, but perhaps this is just my agenda speaking.
I'm looking up stats to show how good our player is, not trying to prove that he isn't. Notice the difference???

roonster09

Scout
You're citing an 11 game sample size with his previous club as evidence that he's solely responsible for a 20 goal improvement at Man United?

My entire point is that attributing the improvement of a team to a single defender is silly, especially when there is turnover in other positions. I genuinely don't understand how this is controversial - do you really think signing Maguire singlehandedly saved you 20 goals this season?
I didn't say anything on Maguire or how much he has improved the defense, I said you are missing the biggest factor for Leicester conceding less goals than last season and gave you Leicester defensive record last season under Rodgers.

Yagami

Good post resistant

No, but he is the biggest factor.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Just like people keep using last season's conceded goals to make a point how good our defence (Maguire) is. It's like, United only started last season only, just when a manager imploded.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Just like people keep using last season's conceded goals to make a point how good our defence (Maguire) is. It's like, United only started last season only, just when a manager imploded.
Yeah, too many people make posts which lack context, what a surprise.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why are all these Chelsea fans who barely managed 4th being so cocky on these forums suddenly?

Withnail

Player of the Season - KDB
Young Player of the Season (U-21) - TAA
Worst Player - Kepa
Manager of the Season - Wilder
Best Team - Lloris TAA VVD Maguire Robertson Martial Henderson KDB Sterling Vardy Ings
Funniest Moment - Mourinho and his assistant
VAR Moment of the Year - Bruno's pen vs Villa
Covidiot of the Year - Walker

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't say anything on Maguire or how much he has improved the defense, I said you are missing the biggest factor for Leicester conceding less goals than last season and gave you Leicester defensive record last season under Rodgers.
The post I was responding to justified Maguire being included in the TotS because you conceded 20 fewer goals. My point is this analysis is ridiculously reductionist and ignores all of the myriad factors that go into a team sport. All I'm saying is that it's just as stupid to say Maguire improved your team by 20 goals as it is to say his absence from Leicester improved them by 7 goals.

I'm looking up stats to show how good our player is, not trying to prove that he isn't. Notice the difference???
So you prefer to use stats to support a blinkered view? Blimey, why even bother?

keithsingleton

Worst Player - Kepa
Worst Signing - Iwob
Funniest Moment - Leicester meltdown
VAR Moment of the Year - Villa

Team of the Season

EDERSON
TTA --- VVD --- LAPORTA---ROBERTSON
DE BRUYNE---FABINHO---BRUNO
STERLING---KANE---MANE

roonster09

Scout
The post I was responding to justified Maguire being included in the TotS because you conceded 20 fewer goals. My point is this analysis is ridiculously reductionist and ignores all of the myriad factors that go into a team sport. All I'm saying is that it's just as stupid to say Maguire improved your team by 20 goals as it is to say his absence from Leicester improved them by 7 goals.

So you prefer to use stats to support a blinkered view? Blimey, why even bother?
Well at least you agreed the point was stupid. We are good here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Are people going for Pope because he got loads of points on fantasy football?
Probably because he was one 25 yard belter from winning the Golden Glove (along with Ederson)... whilst playing for Burnley.

He's had a great season, in a league of erratic keepers, he's one of the most consistent and solid.

Withnail

Probably because he was one 25 yard belter from winning the Golden Glove (along with Ederson)... whilst playing for Burnley.

He's had a great season, in a league of erratic keepers, he's one of the most consistent and solid.
His save % and performance against XG for shots on target isn't all that though. He's basically only saving what he's expected to save.

He's also got 400 mins on Allison. I'm not sure clean sheets is really the best metric for GK keeping performance, given the stats available these days.

De Gea isn't far behind on 13 and wouldn't get within a mile of anyone's Team of the year.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His save % and performance against XG for shots on target isn't all that though. He's basically only saving what he's expected to save.

He's also got 400 mins on Allison. I'm not sure clean sheets is really the best metric for GK keeping performance, given the stats available these days.

De Gea isn't far behind on 13 and wouldn't get within a mile of anyone's Team of the year.
Which actually in the world of high-profile keepers messing up routine saves, is quite a good thing. You just don't really see him doing daft shit that often... which goes a long way I think.

He's also playing behind Burnley's defence, where as Allison gets to have VVD cleaning up in front of him every week... There's only really those two and Henderson who enter the goalkeeper of the year conversation anyway.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Player of the Year - Alexander-Arnold
Young Player of the Year (U-21) - Trent Alexander-Arnold
Worst Player - Kepa
Best Signing - Ings
Funniest Moment - The world putting Liverpools title at risk for a good 3 months since the rest of the league flopped at it (even though it ultimately happened)
VAR Moment of the Year - Sheffield Utd disallowed goal vs Villa because of goal line tech failing and VAR not stepping in

Team of the Season

Pope
TAA Van Dijk Tarkowski Robertson
De Bruyne Henderson Fernandes
Adama Martial Mane

Withnail

Which actually in the world of high-profile keepers messing up routine saves, is quite a good thing. You just don't really see him doing daft shit that often... which goes a long way I think.

He's also playing behind Burnley's defence, where as Allison gets to have VVD cleaning up in front of him every week... There's only really those two and Henderson who enter the goalkeeper of the year conversation anyway.
What I mean is there are a lot of keepers who are out-performing the xg of their shots on target they face. Henderson is the only one of those three in the top 10.

Lloris is top the of pile this year with +9.9

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

freeurmind

weak willed
Worst Player - Alexander Tettey
Funniest Moment - Pep meltdown during derby loss
VAR Moment of the Year - VAR not checking Sheff Utd goal