Redcafe Snooker

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Incredible. That is a lesson to never give up and always believe, keep on trying. He never looked like a potential winner two weeks ago. This might be the peak and he never wins anything ever again, but wow.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Down to 1.64..... some nerve to hold and not cash out here if you put anything on.

Snooker betting seems utterly insane. Shame there's not always this amount of cash in the markets in the UK, no wonder the Chinese are bent as feck with it.
I didn’t actually pay any attention, it was only £5. Still reckon it was worth the odds even though it didn’t come in

Zen

Not practising is the future of Snooker it seems.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Brecel just closed out the world championship title with a century break. Wow. What a tournament for him, played absolutely amazing stuff. Well in, congrats!

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Going to be hard for anyone to top that Championship run. Beat Williams, O’Sullivan and Selby and had an all timer of a comeback in the semi final.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Selby is such a classy guy in defeat but well done Brecel. Never thought he would outdo Selby over 4 sessions.

Fts 74

Well done Brecel been a joy to watch fully deserved.

Fair play to Selby I don't like the way he plays but he's a class act tbf.

Superunknown

Selby is such a classy guy in defeat but well done Brecel. Never thought he would outdo Selby over 4 sessions.
He had to dig very deep to overcome Selby, who was a very tough opponent. Thought for sure he was going to steamroll Brecel at the end. Selby accepted defeat graciously, well done him for making it such a brilliant final.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Jesus something serious must be with Selby's family. Hope it's not too serious
Was actually surprised that Brecel even said anything about it, Sue seemed a bit panicky. Put it down to nerves/brainfart after winning the bloody title.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm sure everyone at work tomorrow is suddenly going to be a snooker expert over here. :lol:
Have you seen the clubs these last few days? Packed with newbies who buy expensive cues that'll gather dust within a couple of weeks. God bless 'em.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Was actually surprised that Brecel even said anything about it, Sue seemed a bit panicky. Put it down to nerves/brainfart after winning the bloody title.
This is what I felt as well. I found myself turning over before he said owt else. Like it's up to the Selby's if they want it public. Feel like now there's gonna be media assholes snooping around asking difficult questions.

Parma Dewol

Luca’s run to the final makes the victory all the more special. He really could have gone out against Walden in the first round. Close call against Williams in the round of 16. Should have been beaten by Ronnie in the quarters. Looked like Si was out of sight at one point in the semis. Yet, having never won a match at the World Championships in 20 years, he has stuck to his cavalier style and now has his hands on the trophy.

Amazing story. Would love to see him go on and claim a triple crown.

maximus419

Have you seen the clubs these last few days? Packed with newbies who buy expensive cues that'll gather dust within a couple of weeks. God bless 'em.
What clubs are these then? The last few years have been dire for snooker in the UK, so many clubs closing and there is barely a youngsters taking up the game! What's an expensive cue?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What clubs are these then? The last few years have been dire for snooker in the UK, so many clubs closing and there is barely a youngsters taking up the game! What's an expensive cue?
How many marbles can you fit in your mouth? What's the difference between M&S butter and Aldi butter?

In other words; the feck do you care?!

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Congrats to Brecel. Probably one of the most impressive championship runs ever.

spwd

Absolutely amazing championship and new champion. So happy for him and his family, such a fantastic talent.

maximus419

How many marbles can you fit in your mouth? What's the difference between M&S butter and Aldi butter?

In other words; the feck do you care?!
Well I'm a big snooker fan and I'm just baffled at your take on things. I've seen no signs of the things you claim. Snooker participation figures have fallen year on year now for the past 10 years, due to club closures, costs, lack of interest from younger generation.

Just want to put that out there so people who care know the reality of the health of the game.

wangyu

We’ve been hearing about Brecel’s extraordinary talent for over a decade, finally all came together.

Bertie Wooster

Anyone following Q School, and have any preference for who qualifies?

I am, and I'm hoping Alexander Ursenbacher can stay on the tour having fallen off it at the end of the season. Also, 16 year old Welsh player Liam Davies who I keep wanting to do it via the youth events but keeps missing out in the later rounds so far. It's going to be tough for him to do it through this route, against much more experienced players, but he seems a very good young talent.

It's been a good 12 months for players I've been wanting to get on the tour - with the likes of Michael White, Ben Mertens, Julien Leclercq and Stan Moody all qualifying for the circuit. Though none actually did it via the summer Q School.

ChrisNelson

Was kind of hoping for Michael Holt to come through as he's a Nottingham lad but he lost in Round 3.

Stuart Carrington is another, although he has a tough test today against Harvey Chandler.

Your man Liam Davies has a tough match against Iulian Boiko.

And Steven Hallworth vs. Eden Sharav is a hell of a tie for QR3.

Bertie Wooster

Alexander Ursenbacher has got through to the final round of qualifiers, where he faces a tough match against Barry Pinches for a place on the tour. Pinches is 53, and rarely wins matches on the tour, but such is the gulf in class between the top 64 and the rest that he's always one of the better players at Q School.

Liam Davies got knocked out to fellow teen Iulian Boiko. Disappointing, but not surprising as Boiko, despite only being a year older, is more experienced and has already had two years on the tour, aged 14-16. He's also got through to the last round of qualifiers where he'll face Andrew Pagett, so is one game away from being on the tour for the second time aged just 17.

EDIT:

Alexander Ursenbacher beat Barry Pinches 4-3 to retain his place on the tour. :drool:
Elsewhere, Andrew Pagett beat Iulian Boiko 4-2 to also remain on the tour from last season.
Andrew Higginson beat Haydon Pinhey 4-0 to return to the tour after a years absence.
And 17 year old Liam Pullen* beat Alex Taubman 4-0 to qualify for the main tour for the first time.

*I stayed up into the late hours to watch the Junior Final (held in Australia) a few months ago when I was cheering on Stan Moody to win and qualify for the main tour. It was Liam Pullen he beat 5-1 in the final, so pleased for him that he's now also qualified for the main tour as well.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Great effort by all 4 players who qualified today through Q School (see post above).

Conversely, I see Reanne Evans retained her place on the tour by virtue of her place in the Women's rankings. Personally, I think there should be a tweak in the rules that a female player who has had two years on the main tour and failed to get enough ranking points to stay on, isn't then included in the top two women who progress to the main tour for that season and, instead, has to try through Q School like all the others who've finished outside the top 64.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Q School Event 2 has just ended. In the final round...

Dean Young beat Florian Nuessle 4-3.
Alfie Burden beat Iulian Boiko 4-3
Louis Heathcote beat Ryan Davies 4-3
Stuart Carrington beat Rory McLeod 4-0

Decent group of winners - especially glad to see Carrington and Heathcote retain their place on the tour. Though I was really hoping the two young Europeans - Boiko and Nuessle - would win the other two matches.

17 year old Boiko reached the final round in both events but fell at the final hurdle both times. However at least that means he'll be right at the top of the table whenever they need top-ups for tournaments so should at least get some opportunities in qualifiers next season.

Bertie Wooster

Rounding up all the above posts, the 8 qualifiers from Q School were...

Alexander Ursenbacher, Andrew Pagett, Andrew Higginson, Liam Pullen.

Dean Young, Alfie Burden, Louis Heathcote, Stuart Carrington.

Bertie Wooster

The punishments for the Chinese players have been announced. Pretty much as expected - the senior (older) players getting the lengthier / life bans as the main protagonists, the younger players mostly getting much shorter ones. Was expecting Yan Bingtao to get a more lenient one same as Zhao Xintong has, but they've gone strong with him...

Liang Wenbo

Given a lifetime ban and ordered to pay £43,000 in costs. He was found guilty of fixing or being a party to fixing five matches, trying to get other players to fix nine matches, betting on snooker matches, threatening another player, deleting messages and asking other players to, failing to cooperate with the enquiry.

Li Hang

Given a lifetime ban and ordered to pay £43,000 in costs. He was found guilty of fixing or being a party to fixing five matches, trying to get other players to fix seven matches, betting on snooker matches, deleting messages and asking other players to.

Lu Ning
Age: 29 Ranking: 65. Semi-finalist at the 2020 UK Championship

Given a ban of five years and four months, reduced from eight years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He was not found guilty of inducing others to fix matches. He accepted charges of fixing four snooker matches he played in, betting on matches and deleting messages.

Yan Bingtao
Age: 22 Ranking: 23. First player born in 2000 to turn professional, won 2021 Masters

Given a ban of five years, reduced from seven and a half years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing four snooker matches he played in and betting on matches.

Zhao Xintong
Age: 25 Ranking: 11. Won 2021 UK Championship and 2022 German Masters

Given a ban of one year and eight months, reduced from two and a half years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of being a party to another player fixing two matches and betting on matches himself.

Zhang Jiankang

Given a ban of two years and 11 months, reduced from four years and five months after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing a snooker match he played in, betting on matches and not giving the WPBSA information.

Chen Zifan

Given a ban of five years, reduced from seven and a half years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing or contrived, or being a party to an effort to fix or contrive the result or score of three snooker matches that he played in.

Chang Bingyu

Given a ban of two years, reduced from three years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing a snooker match he played in.

Zhao Jianbo

Given a ban of two years and eight months, reduced from three and a half years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing a snooker match he played in - and betting on that match.

Bai Langning

Given a ban of two years and four months, reduced from four years after his early admissions and guilty plea. He has to pay £7,500 in costs. He accepted charges of fixing a snooker match he played in.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

Bump for this as the season is up and running again.

Currently in the middle of the British Open which has already seen some great matches and some heavyweight clashes early on. Ronnie withdrew for medical reasons.

In round 2, Kyren Wilson vs. Mark Allen is still to come, Judd Trump lost to Hammad Miah on the final black (great clearance under pressure), M. Williams beat Maguire and last night Lisowski edged out Murphy in a classic 4-3, also decided on the final black.

Neil Robertson and Robert Milkins are also out.

On ITV3/4 all week with the final on Sunday then it's straight on to the first of the four Home Series events, the English Open which starts on Monday.