Explain yourself.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Some people don't have Sterling in their top 30 :houllier:

But then again 2 years ago Ramos was voted as the best defender in the world, and that is why democracy is a sham

diarm

Edit: Apologies! I wondered why the message I'd started didn't show up when I clicked back in!

Last edited:

Macern

Pee pee pants
Let's start here.

Explain yourself.
:lol: Explain what? Tadic and De Ligt above the other three highlighed players? I weigh CL heavily as you can see.

I made the list on my phone in like 5 minutes and I’m obviously going to edit it. Forgot Sterling and probably a few others.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
:lol: Explain what? Tadic and De Ligt above the other three highlighed players? I weigh CL heavily as you can see.

I made the list on my phone in like 5 minutes and I’m obviously going to edit it. Forgot Sterling and probably a few others.
That sole criteria has resulted in a really shit list where Moura is listed as the best Spurs player in 2019. It has made your list as useful as a list based on who performed best on Tuesday nights in 2019 while having dyed hair

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Some people don't have Sterling in their top 30 :houllier:

But then again 2 years ago Ramos was voted as the best defender in the world, and that is why democracy is a sham
forgot him entirely, so many players ... sign of my :houllier: is I got kdb, aguero and bernardo thinking of city?

slored1

What are the people who put McTominay on the list of top 30 footballers in the world smoking? :lol::lol:

Macern

Pee pee pants
That sole criteria has resulted in a really shit list where Moura is listed as the best Spurs player in 2019. It has made your list as useful as a list based on who performed best on Tuesday nights in 2019 while having dyed hair
:lol: Why you so offended, Damien said that lists can be edited until the 31st so I’ll make changes like adding Sterling.

Not sure if anyone from Spurs deserves it ahead of Lucas to be honest. The only noticeable thing Spurs has done in 2019 was to get to the CL final. Moura was perhaps their most influential player in achieving that with some key moments like the goal v Ajax. He was also alongside Kane the top scorer for Spurs in the CL season 18/19 so you could argue the case that he deserves to be ahead of Kane. I’ll dive a bit deeper into the list later, as I said I made it on my phone in 5 minutes.

Edit: My line of thinking was that players who contributed to winning major titles would be weighted the heaviest. Apart from that, I rate players who took their teams far in the CL. If someone had a decent season for a team that did feck all then I’m not going to put much weight on that. You may disagree with my criteria, but it was clearly stated that the performances in 2019 was going to be rated and not the actual level of the players. Therefore it’s natural to look at teams getting far in the CL and winning major domestic leagues in particular.

Supports
England
Yeah. That's godawful. For people who don't watch Spurs very often, there's this perception that Moura is some wonder talent who was being smothered by Poch. In reality, he's a pretty good forward who's trading off his reputation from one remarkable 45 minutes of football. He's yet to put together a chain of elite performances for Spurs.

CL weighting hurts Kane badly, especially because of the final, which clearly wasn't his fault. Once again, the reality is that Kane and Son have carried Spurs during their time under Poch this season. How Kane isn't on some people's lists when he's almost back to his best and has ~25 goal contributions in about as many games this season is madness.

You can identify anyone who doesn't watch Spurs much by their ranking of Son and/or Moura significantly higher than Kane. If you're going to do the whole recency bias thing, at least do it right: Kane was individually fantastic against Wolves in a match where he had no service whatsoever and Son, under similar conditions, became completely anonymous.

A recent poll of over 150 people on one of the major Spurs forums had Kane as their best player by a full two-thirds margin, which should tell you all you need to know if you don't watch every game.

Last edited:

Son

Is the Bundesliga suddenly a terrible league or something?

Lewandowski is the best striker in the world atm. Maybe even the worlds ‘current’ finest player yet and people are ranking players like De Ligt and De Jong higher.

The Ballon D’Or voting was seriously strange too when Ronaldo got 10x the amount of votes as Lewandoski who had a better season overall. The season so far is not even a competition between the two yet I bet Ronaldo will still manage more votes.

Lewa is playing like the player Ronaldo used to be a few years back. Lethal in front of goal.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
1. Van Dijk
2. Messi
3. Mbappe
4. De Bryune
5. Salah
6. Mane
7. Sterling
8. Ronaldo
9. Neymar
10. Alexander Arnold
11. Pogba
12. Lewandoski
13. Hazard
14. Aguero
15. Frankie De Jong
16. De Ligt
17. Alison
18. Harry Kane
19. Aubameyang
20. Son
21. Firmino
22. Ziyech
23. Sancho
24. Rashford
25. Laporte
26. Kante
27. Robertson
28. Vardy
29. Verrati
30. Aaron Wan Bissaka
31. Coutinho
32. Bernard Silva
33. Fabian Ruiz
34. N’Dombele
35. Lacazette
36. Youcef Atal
37. Gnabry
Mctominay
  1. Virgil van Dijk
  2. Sadio Mane
  3. Mohammed Salah
  4. Lionel Messi
  5. Kevin De Bruyne
I guess horrible extremes even themselves out in the overall ranking but still...

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Comparing the current submissions to 2017 is interesting. Crazy how names like Countinho and Cavani will fall. A regression analysis of the change in rankings would be fascinating.

el3mel

I saw people putting Pogba in there despite him playing well for about the first 2-3 months of the year then ending the season horribly and missing the entire first half of the current season ? Someone need to tell them this is about 2019 only.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah. That's godawful. For people who don't watch Spurs very often, there's this perception that Moura is some wonder talent who was being smothered by Poch. In reality, he's a pretty good forward who's trading off his reputation from one remarkable 45 minutes of football. He's yet to put together a chain of elite performances for Spurs.

CL weighting hurts Kane badly, especially because of the final, which clearly wasn't his fault. Once again, the reality is that Kane and Son have carried Spurs during their time under Poch this season. How Kane isn't on some people's lists when he's almost back to his best and has ~25 goal contributions in about as many games this season is madness.

You can identify anyone who doesn't watch Spurs much by their ranking of Son and/or Moura significantly higher than Kane. If you're going to do the whole recency bias thing, at least do it right: Kane was individually fantastic against Wolves in a match where he had no service whatsoever and Son, under similar conditions, became completely anonymous.

A recent poll of over 150 people on one of the major Spurs forums had Kane as their best player by a full two-thirds margin, which should tell you all you need to know if you don't watch every game.
Agree on Lucas getting over-rated. But you can rate Kane as Spurs' best player and, at the same time, rank Son higher for his contributions in 2019. Particularly when Son scored 4 Champions League knockout goals to Kane's 1, including the crucial opener against Dortmund and the 3 goals against City. This campaign too it's hard to argue past Son with his 10 goals and 9 assists so far.

Supports
England
Agree on Lucas getting over-rated. But you can rate Kane as Spurs' best player and, at the same time, rank Son higher for his contributions in 2019. Particularly when Son scored 4 Champions League knockout goals to Kane's 1, including the crucial opener against Dortmund and the 3 goals against City. This campaign too it's hard to argue past Son with his 10 goals and 9 assists so far.
The funny thing is that the poll explicitly asks who Spurs' current best player is. I don't doubt there was a fair amount of historical achievement bias involved but weighed against the enormous recency bias that seems to afflict most football fans, I don't think it adds up to much overall.

Over the set of games during which Jose has been manager, to use a non-arbitrary cutoff[1], Kane has been better than Son on average. Son has that wonder-goal to give him even more of the flash factor that fans are attracted to - eclipsing the fact that Kane scored two screamers of his own and skillfully assisted another in the same match - but the reality is that Kane has contributed the most to the results in that time, with 2017-tier all-round play and multiple decisive goals.

Using the CL knockouts only further emphasises Kane's unfair disadvantage because he was injured for all but one game against Dortmund -- in which he scored the winner and only goal. Great goal it was too. And his no-look, first-time halfway line lob against Juve in preseason would have been a GOTS contender along with Son's if he'd just done it in the league (the level of opposition would've made no difference to him scoring that goal with that accuracy so he was simply unlucky that it happened in a friendly).

[1] It's my opinion that Kane had grown actively unhappy playing under Poch and that his non-England performances for much of the year, which have certainly been below his unplayable best for the most part, reflect that fact. His immediate revival under Jose seems to track perfectly with the theory. On his debut under Jose, he covered more distance than any other player on the pitch for the first time in ages, and I somehow doubt he was just trying to impress the manager with all that stiff competition for his spot.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
@luisnani86 you've got Oblak on your list twice (12 and 19). Can you update?

Also, sorry to be a pain but decided lists should be 30 names exactly now. @KirkDuyt, @momo83, @SteveW if you're able to update your lists it'd be appreciated. Thanks to everyone who submitted one so far.
Hi, my honest opinion beyond 5 people are just naming names. Even with 5 I had to think hard about the players that stood out to me most from the leagues that I watch most and then try and order them.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is it possible to name just 10-15 players Damien?

Also, you made a mistake by allowing Liverpool fans to vote, it's already very biased looking at that thread.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is it possible to name just 10-15 players Damien?

Also, you made a mistake by allowing Liverpool fans to vote, it's already very biased looking at that thread.
I had it initially but looking at the votes it skews things a bit too much if one or two lists are 10-15 names while the rest are 30 so decided to keep to the 30 limit. Don't worry if a few of the lower names are 'out there'. With there being 40 other lists it evens out, kinda.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I had it initially but looking at the votes it skews things a bit too much if one or two lists are 10-15 names while the rest are 30 so decided to keep to the 30 limit. Don't worry if a few of the lower names are 'out there'. With there being 40 other lists it evens out, kinda.
OK, I'll try to do it until end of the year.

the chameleon

I guess horrible extremes even themselves out in the overall ranking but still...
I think I sense a dipper. Though, I would respect that list more if it was a United fan.

Think we need a better criterion for these dippers being allowed to make posts.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I think I sense a dipper. Though, I would respect that list more if it was a United fan.

Think we need a better criterion for these dippers being allowed to make posts.
I agree 100%.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The more opinions of fans from different clubs, the better. Otherwise McTominay would end up being in the caf's top 50 players in the world.