Redcafe's All-Time Top 20. Left backs | Results

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
10. Leo Júnior (170 points)

Google insists that this is how Leo Junior looks now:

You have to be some player to come to Serie A in the 80's and win Serie A Player of the Year, like Júnior did. Although he mostly played for Torino as a central midfielder, he'll be forever remembered as a crucial part of the Brazil 1982 vintage. A lot like Breitner, he possessed a midfielder's skillset, which made his interpretation of the left back role quite unique — he was a true playmaker from the left and used to cut in a lot to provide a numerical advantage in the middle; although he also had an ability to do a normal left back overlaps on the wing. I actually didn't know that before, but he had won 6 world championships in beach soccer, becoming the tournament's MVP and top scorer 4 times!

harms

Staff
9. Bixente Lizarazu (220 points)

I've spent way too much time trying to find a picture that looks great but not overly sexual

He's one of those players who looks even cooler now than he did before he retired, those adidas jerseys didn't do him justice. Patrice Evra called him a tramp though, so there's that. Lizarazu is an absolute legend for Bayern Munich (he has 268 appearances for the club, 6 Bundesliga titles and 1 CL). With France he became a part of one of the most successful defensive units of all-time — the back 4 of him, Thuram, Blanc and Desailly was really the foundation for an unprecedented success of the French team of late 90's. Although he didn't score much, he was equally capable of playing a traditional left back role and performing as a left wingback, a role he usually played for Bayern.

harms

Staff
8. Ashley Cole (223 points)

*not actually Ashley, but do you really need a picture to know what he looks like?

Cashley is one of the rare fullbacks who actually have a great record against the big two — both Cristiano and Messi often struggled to get past him, which is pretty the best proof of quality you can have for any left back. Heartbroken Arsenal fans did their best to erase the public memory of him ever being a Gunner, but he had played more than 200 games for them, won multiple trophies (including 2 PL titles) and got known as "a wing-back or winger playing in a back four" for his offensive mentality and great link up play (he even named Roberto Carlos as his biggest inspiration at the time). However, his transfer to Mourinho's Chelsea saw him gradually becoming more and more defensive and in the end this is probably the incarnation that everyone remembers him for — for many years he was considered as the best left back in the world.

harms

Staff
7. Antonio Cabrini (256 points)

It's incredible how many great left backs Italy had produced. Cabrini would probably be seen as the best ever in his position for most of the countries in the world, but here he has Maldini and Facchetti to compete with. Anyway, he was a part of the all-conquering Juventus side of the 80's (he is one of the very few players in history that had won all UEFA Club competitions, not to mention his 6 Serie A titles) and helped Italy to win their 3rd World Cup in 1982. For both Juve and Italy he usually played alongside Zoff, Scirea and Gentile — one of the toughest defensive units ever to be seen in football. Antonio, or Bell'Antonio ("beautiful Antonio"), as he was known at the time, was the most popular of the 4, mostly because of his astonishingly good looks — there are stories of how many Italian women went to the stadiums just to see him play. Overall, he takes his deserved place in our top-10 as one of the most complete and consistent left backs of all-time.

Giuseppe Bergomi said:
Thinking back, I can see why Antonio (Cabrini), was so popular. Like me, he was a very handsome guy.

harms

Staff
6. Ruud Krol (320 points)

The defensive face of Rinus Michels' totaalvoetbal — equally successful as an offensive-minded left back and as a classy sweeper. Those 2 versions are best illustrated with his World Cup performances: a left back in 1974 and a sweeper in 1978, both times he made it to the final and was included in the Team of the Tournament. It's hard to find a defender who combines all of his qualities, which is what you'd expect from someone raised in the Dutch football philosophy. It's interesting that after years playing for Ajax (6 league titles and 3 European Cups) and a short stint in U.S.A. he transferred to Napoli, found himself in pretty much the opposite footballing culture and still excelled — winning Guerin d'Oro/Serie A Footballer of the Year in 1981.

harms

Staff
5. Andreas Brehme (379 points)

Andy is, without a doubt, one of the greatest fullbacks to ever grace a football pitch. He was a fantastic playmaker, one of the best crossers of all-time, an astute playmaker and also the man for a big occasion. He had scored in 2 different World Cup semi-finals and also buried the decisive penalty in the 1990 World Cup final against Argentina. Speaking of penalties — he was one of the very few players in history who took penalties and free-kicks with both feet — this ambidextrousness (I spelled it right in my first try!) also allowed him to switch flanks without any influence on his performance level. He was included in 3 major tournaments TotT — 1990 World Cup and 1984 & 1992 Euros. His club career was perhaps a bit less impressive, but his influence in Inter Milan can't be understated. The signing of Brehme and Matthäus was a counter to AC Milan's Dutch trio — and together they led them to the first Serie A title almost a decade. Andy Brehme was named Serie A Player of the Year (Guerin d'Oro) & also, obviously, Inter Milan's Player of the Year (Pirata d'Oro) that season.

harms

Staff
4. Roberto Carlos (409 points)

Roberto Carlos has his own cult following and it's more than deserved — I think that even the №1 player in this list (although it's pretty much impossible to guess who it is at this point) was not as popular at the peak of his powers; I think every kid on the block tried to replicate his free-kick against France or that ridiculous goal against Tenerife. In 1997 he finished second in the FIFA World Player of the Year behind a certain Luis Ronaldo, in 2002 — he ended up a runner up to (again) Luis Ronaldo for the Ballon d'Or. In the Galacticos and in those brilliant Nike ads he was always next to Ronaldo, Beckham, Figo & Zidane, as an equal — something almost unheard of for a defender. Well, I don't need to sell him to you, everyone here saw him at his peak and knows just how stupendously good he was.

harms

Staff
3. Nilton Santos (438 points)

Nilton Santos, The "Encyclopedia of football", gets the 3rd place. 2 World Cup titles and a place in the World Team of the XX century, it hardly gets better than that. Tall, powerfully built, elegant and versatile, he was usually cool under pressure, turned quickly for such a big man, tackled firmly and was always ready to surge forward and make use of his strong left foot*. He was supposedly the first "modern", attacking fullback, although this label is attached to a few different players).

At the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, Brazil introduced the four-in-line defence to the game, which Santos found ideal. Majestically, he strolled through the opening rounds – and scored a superb goal against Austria – but when it came to the final, in Solna, there were serious doubts over whether he could contain the rapid and elusive Swedish winger Kurt Hamrin, who had turned the German defence inside out in the semi-final in Gothenburg. In the event, it was no contest as both Nilton and Djalma Santos seized control. Nilton completely subdued Hamrin as, on the opposite flank, Djalma did the same against the speedy Lennart "Nacka" Skoglund. Though they gave away an early goal, Brazil eventually won the final 5-2.

Nilton Santos said:
I have never envied today's players the money but the freedom they have, to go forward
*That's debatable, some sources have him as right-footed, he was pretty ambidextrous.

harms

Staff
2. Giacinto Facchetti (578 points)

The Inter Milan footballer Giacinto Facchetti was the towering embodiment of the overlapping full back. He led Italy to the 1970 World Cup finals & won the 1968 Euros, he helped his club win four league titles and two European champions' cups. He was also, if unwittingly, the inspiration for Germany's Frans Beckenbauer, the virtual inventor of "total football". Watching Facchetti's spectacular incursions from left back, his thundering right-footed shots, Beckenbauer asked himself why he, as a libero or sweeper, should not move into attack from a more central role. He did; and total football was born at Bayern Munich.

Sandro Mazzola, Facchetti’s great friend and teammate for over a decade at Inter Milan and with Italy, summed up his old captain best

Sandro Mazzola said:
He was the greatest figure on the field and off it.
I wanted to redo a Zlatan chant for him but I gave up before halfway. The original ending sucks as well.

6 ft. 3, hard as feck, he gets Moby excited
'Something something something and
Cause we are Man United

harms

Staff
First, a word from our sponsor @bet365, thank you for making this possible

Can you guess the winner? You can see the final hint under this spoiler:

harms

Staff
1. Paolo Maldini (1005 points)

Paolo wins it with a little handicap. Who would've thought!

The full list

harms

Staff
The full list.
  1. P. Maldini - 1005
  2. G. Facchetti - 578
  3. N. Santos - 438
  4. R. Carlos - 409
  5. A. Brehme - 379
  6. R. Krol - 320
  7. A. Cabrini - 256
  8. A. Cole - 223
  9. B. Lizarazu - 220
  10. Junior - 170
  11. P. Breitner - 168
  12. Marcelo - 158
  13. S. Marzolini, K.-H. Schnellinger - 150
  14. --
  15. M. Bossis - 114
  16. D. Irwin - 110
  17. A. Demyanenko - 105
  18. J. A. Camacho - 97
  19. H.-P. Briegel - 82
  20. P. Evra - 64
  21. E. Abidal, A. Benarrivo - 22
  22. --
  23. J. Alba, R. Pavoni - 18
  24. --
  25. K. Sansom - 16
  26. M. Chagas - 14
  27. R. Gordillo, V. R. Andrade - 13
  28. --
  29. D. Alaba, T. Gemmel - 10
  30. --
  31. G. van Bronckhorst - 9
  32. A. Tarantini - 8
  33. Branko Zebec - 7
  34. J. Segarra - 6
  35. S. Pearce - 5
  36. Branco, A. Carboni - 4
  37. --
  38. R. Wilson, M. Lantos, R. Jarni - 2
  39. --
  40. --
  41. F. Luis, F. de Boer, G. Zambrotta, R. Marche, R. Byrne - 1

DVG7

What a great concept this is, I've genuinely enjoyed reading through all of these lists. thank you @harms

I fully agree with Maldini's place in this list, though may have had him a bit higher in the central defenders category.

I never considered this before, but Maldini being right-footed, how come he never had any sort of extended stint as a right back? I know that when Maldini first broke through Mauro Tassotti was there (and ultimately with Baresi and Costacurta they went on to form what could arguably be considered the best defence ever) but he never reached the level that Maldini did. Was it Just Sacchi's preference to have Maldini at left back, or were they any instances of him playing on the right but simply not being effective?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Same reason why Ruud Krol didn't play on the right for a sustained period of time, even though he was naturally a right-footed rightback to begin with — Tassotti and Suurbier (who also staved off competition from Neeskens) might be lesser players from a historical perspective, but they were effective/established in the roles they had so the manager(s) felt no need to move them around — and once Maldini/Krol adapted to the left after a vacancy arose and made the position their own, there was no real reason for them to shift back to the right flank. Playing on the left was better for Maldini's Italian national career, too, considering Cabrini's retirement in 1987 (which opened up a spot) and the fact that they had Bergomi for the right (contesting for the same spot in a war of attrition would have been a waste of collective resources, like Scirea/Baresi before them)...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
One thought I had why Maldini was at left-back for that Milan side was that he was the more attacking of the two full-backs with the more defensive Tassotti on the right. This allowed Baresi to play a more attacking role at RCB which fit with his natural footing.

harms

Staff
One thought I had why Maldini was at left-back for that Milan side was that he was the more attacking of the two full-backs with the more defensive Tassotti on the right. This allowed Baresi to play a more attacking role at RCB which fit with his natural footing.
I'm not so sure about that. Baresi spent tons of games as a LCB next to Maldini with Costacurta-Tassoti as the other two. For AC Milan as well as for Italy (and under Sacchi's management as well).

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm not so sure about that. Baresi spent tons of games as a LCB next to Maldini with Costacurta-Tassoti as the other two. For AC Milan as well as for Italy (and under Sacchi's management as well).
I always seem to remember Baresi at RCB and in all the formation pics I have seen from Milan have had him at RCB but what you say is entirely possible. I think part of my thinking was influenced by trying to improve Maldini's image going forward - he was actually pretty decent going forward and not some purely defensive LB that he is sometimes portrayed as.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I remember Baresi mostly on the left. If you have a covering/sweeping role in your defence, sometimes it's better for the right footer to be starting from the left as the space as they will covering in behind is on their right foot. Better both for playing the ball and tackling if needed.

harms

Staff
I remember Baresi mostly on the left. If you have a covering/sweeping role in your defence, sometimes it's better for the right footer to be starting from the left as the space as they will covering in behind is on their right foot. Better both for playing the ball and tackling if needed.
Same, if I were to draw a Sacchi's team from a scratch, I would put Baresi on the left side, but I've seen them line up either way.

I always seem to remember Baresi at RCB and in all the formation pics I have seen from Milan have had him at RCB but what you say is entirely possible. I think part of my thinking was influenced by trying to improve Maldini's image going forward - he was actually pretty decent going forward and not some purely defensive LB that he is sometimes portrayed as.
To be fair, Tassotti was also not that bad offensively.

Just a few examples of Baresi on the left though:

From http://assoanalisti.it/analisi-tattica-milan-arrigo-sacchi/ (looks like a great piece of a tactical analysis)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@harms That's comprehensive. Will have a read of the tactics article.

I've defended Tassotti's attacking ability before but Maldini was better in that department

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
1.Paolo Maldini
2.Giacinto Fachetti
3.Nilton Santos
4.Rudd Krol(only his lb career,if include his sweeper career,he will be ahead Santos.)
5.Roberto Carlos
6.Paul Brietner
7.Antonio Cabrini
8.Andreas Brehme
9.Junior
10.Karl Heinz Schnellinger(only his lb career,not include cb)
11.Hans Peter Briegel
12.Silvio Marzolini
13.Branko Zebec
14.Marcelo
15.Bixente Lizarazu
16.Jose Antonio Camacho
17.Maxime Bossis
18. Anatoliy Demyanenko
19.Ashley Cole
20. David Alaba