Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (THE RESULTS)

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Why do people prefer Godfather over Goodfellas? I really can't see why. I prefer Goodfellas every day. You can just switch it on and enjoy.
There is no Al Pacino in Goodfellas.

I love both, but to me there is more depth to Godfather. It desdribes not only mafia but society in general. Goodfellas is a proper mob movie, more than Godfather.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think giving the viewer the full range of their emotional catharsis is what tends to make an instant positive impression but it's not one that extends beyond the film itself. Your term 'full circle' is a good one as it sort of implies that we leave the film feeling full so don't need to do much else afterwards - which is perfectly fine really as some movies just want to do that.
Yeah, the catharsis one is the usual point - it allows you to live through emotions without them affecting you directly, and get different perspectives on life and circumstances. Feel-good films are actually unsatisfying in that sense, just like eating only dessert doesn't usually leave you feeling good beyond the very moment where you're eating them.

(And just so I'm not misunderstood: I am not necessarily disagreeing with the idea that more dramatic stories are better. There's a reason this has been thought since the ancient Greek distinction between tragedies and comedies - and probably earlier and elsewhere as well. But it's something I'm kinda interested in examining from different angles.)
Re: bold. I haven't seen it but there's been loads of movies I've watched and thought they were crap because it left me feeling frustrated. Usually I'm still thinking and trying to make sense of those ones days afterwards. They really get under my skin and sometimes I end up having a much deeper appreciation because I had to figure something out I didn't immediately realise.
Actually, this one is probably not a great example, because it's a historical movie and a quick Wiki will tell you that Fred Hampton died through a police assassination. So it's not a case of a story coming together in a dramatic sort of way that you might not get or appreciate until later ('why didn't the scenarist just let the protagonist just walk away and avoid this crap?!'), it's rather a story coming to its inevitable conclusion - and it's thus really much more about the voyage than the famous conclusion (just not famous enough for me :D ) in this case. But yeah, it's the same kind of idea, and I do agree with what you're saying here.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yeah, it is - and that's probably also part of why it has dropped a little in my estimation: it's 'just' a feel-good film, there's not much else to get out of it. I personally wouldn't be able to put a romcom in my top-whatever either, they're just too light-weight to me - as much as I do enjoy watching them (especially when I'm tired or otherwise drained). And kinda similarly, as I've been saying in the review thread, I prefer Jordan Peele's Nope over Get Out as I think the latter is too obvious in terms of its themes and messages.

I'm not sure I really agree with myself on this (why would art have to have meaning, messages, and/or references beyond what's obvious at face-value?), but then I don't care enough about rankings to figure this out in detail and I'll just go with my feeling. :D
I thought Get Out managed the balance of satire and entertainment much better than Nope. And the pacing was better. I enjoyed parts of Nope but came away underwhelmed tbh.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I love both, but to me there is more depth to Godfather. It desdribes not only mafia but society in general. Goodfellas is a proper mob movie, more than Godfather.
It's hard to put in words but I just find The Godfather has more gravitas. It really strikes a chord as a series about the delicate balance between personal ambition and family/community values.

Arguably being a series gives it that because I suppose Goodfellas does the same thing but needs to wrap itself up much quicker.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's hard to put in words but I just find The Godfather has more gravitas. It really strikes a chord as a series about the delicate balance between personal ambition and family/community values.

Arguably being a series gives it that because I suppose Goodfellas needs to neatly wrap itself up much quicker.
Godfather is a margherita pizza from Napoli and Goodfellas is a NYC slice with pepperoni.

Both are great in their own right: the latter you can pick up and consume anytime, whilst the former you could also do the same but is something to be savored and considered. Or…something like that…

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Haven't really been a big fan of Star Wars... Just don't see the hype. Might try again with my daughter's when they get to the right age to try and enjoy it.

Anyways, that's the last one tonight... Will return with the top 6 tomorrow.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Still 2 more ITV2 primetime movies to come - Matrix in the top 5 and Fellowship in the top 3. Yuck.
Matrix is amazing! Popularized the Nokia banana phone. And long leather coats.

LOTR... Yeah that's not really my cup of tea.

hobbers

Matrix is amazing! Popularized the Nokia banana phone. And long leather coats.
And popularised franchising and milking an idea with ever worsening sequels whereby the end the milk has turned into an infected yeasty mouldy broth.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
And popularised franchising and milking an idea with ever worsening sequels whereby the end the milk has turned into an infected yeasty mouldy broth.
Have to say I agree that everything matrix related after the first film was utter tripe.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why do people prefer Godfather over Goodfellas? I really can't see why. I prefer Goodfellas every day. You can just switch it on and enjoy.
Godfather is basically a perfect movie one of the only movies I feel comfortable branding so, it's as good as it gets in the classical confines of cinema , every part of it is jacked up to the the highest quality possible, the acting, the cinematography, the music, the script, the pacing etc etc all done with utter perfection.

You can't really call Goodfellas that, perhaps more enjoyably if it's your personal taste but it's far from what Godfather achieved.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Godfather is a tragedy and more of a drama to be honest than a mob movie, the latter is just a facade.

Wing Attack Plan R

It’s like preferring The Rolling Stones over Aerosmith, or The Beatles over Oasis. The Godfather created so many iconic moments, and without it there never would have been a Wonderwall.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'll have to watch Goodfellas again. When I saw it some 20 years ago, I couldn't really appreciate it: a story of a violence- and drug-fuelled descent to ruin, with all the usual mafia/gangster clichés. I'm sure it's extremely well done, but it just really didn't appeal to me - much like I disliked The Wolf of Wall Street, which I found tiring and off-putting (as well as far too long). As such, Goodfellas can't hold a candle to The Godfather in my mind, which I find to be so much more interesting narratively, and which is just exquisite in the way it's shot (put it on pause anywhere, and if you an almost perfectly framed picture).

But given how everyone extols Goodfellas, I guess that's another one for the watch-again list! (It's even on Netflix, so I've now added it to my list already.)
Were you as surprised as I was to find out The Wolf of Wall Street was supposed to be a comedy? I loathed that film. I wanted DiCaprio and Jonah Hill to die horribly (in the film). I’m not sure actively hoping for the leads to get murdered is a an indicator of a good script. I found it cliche ridden and boring. feck!!!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Gomorrah, Hand of God
I'll check those out thanks.
100% deserved though. Shane Hurlbut is a dipshit and anyone who knows how Bale works would give him the professional courtesy to not walk around and adjust lights in the middle of a strenuous take.
What if the light was causing some issue that was rendering the takes unusable? I don't know the ins and outs but don't think humiliating someone like that is necessary.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Were you as surprised as I was to find out The Wolf of Wall Street was supposed to be a comedy? I loathed that film. I wanted DiCaprio and Jonah Hill to die horribly (in the film). I’m not sure actively hoping for the leads to get murdered is a an indicator of a good script. I found it cliche ridden and boring. feck!!!
It's supposed to be what now? I guess I'm surprised now! I certainly didn't find it funny, and yes, all the main characters were loathsome. That's not a bad thing in and of itself (although it would make any movie hard to watch), but watching those characters have the time of their lives (which to me was an orgy of unpleasantries) for over two hours (minus the start and ending), and then get off pretty lightly (the real person the story is based on even gets a cameo at the end) - I just didn't enjoy or appreciate that at all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I haven't seen Hand of God yet (highly reviewed though), but Gomorrah was excellent. It's purely the gritty side of gangsterism though; none of the luxury and decadence (however short-lived) of the usual mob films.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I haven't seen Hand of God yet (highly reviewed though), but Gomorrah was excellent. It's purely the gritty side of gangsterism though; none of the luxury and decadence (however short-lived) of the usual mob films.
It's a TV show... No wonder I haven't seen it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Godfather is a tragedy and more of a drama to be honest than a mob movie, the latter is just a facade.
I thought so too, but upon further reflection, I think I actually disagree. Gangsterism is always a context. In Goodfellas, it's the context for the rise and fall and behaviour along the way of its characters. These could also have been in other professions (like business people - and then it's suddenly a lot like The Wolf of Wall Street!), but the gangster setting us required to really make the story bloom. Same in The Godfather. Yes, the family could also have been in another business, but then the menaces, deaths, and Al Pacino's character's development would have been much less pronounced and tragic.

Arguably being a series gives it that because I suppose Goodfellas does the same thing but needs to wrap itself up much quicker.
I'm not sure about the series aspect. Isn't The Godfather pt 1 perfectly fine as a standalone film? Knowing pt 2 might make you feel like it's a required part of the story, but I think no-one would have thought less of pt 1 had there never been a sequel.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's a TV show... No wonder I haven't seen it.
Yes, but earlier, in 2008, it was also a film. I've never actually seen the series, but I'm reading now that it's based on the same book but a separate adaptation. (I.e., it doesn't build on the film.)

Wing Attack Plan R

What if the light was causing some issue that was rendering the takes unusable? I don't know the ins and outs but don't think humiliating someone like that is necessary.
The light wasn’t. Hurkbut was just being self-involved and disrespectful, because he was the director’s boy, and the director was a talentless hack. If anyone did that, they’d be fired. When you are rolling, everyone is quiet and doesn’t move. That’s basic set knowledge. Bale didn’t need to have a meltdown like he did, but I’m glad he did anyway.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes, but earlier, in 2008, it was also a film. I've never actually seen the series, but I'm reading now that it's based on the same book but a separate adaptation. (I.e., it doesn't build on the film.)
Ahh I'll add it to the watchlist. Cheers fellas.
The light wasn’t. Hurkbut was just being self-involved and disrespectful, because he was the director’s boy, and the director was a talentless hack. If anyone did that, they’d be fired. When you are rolling, everyone is quiet and doesn’t move. That’s basic set knowledge. Bale didn’t need to have a meltdown like he did, but I’m glad he did anyway.
Right, I didn't know it was when they started rolling. I always thought it was in between a take, when it is pretty common for DOP's to adjust stuff.

As for the director being a hack... He calls himself McG professionally... Of course he's a fecking hack :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

Ahh I'll add it to the watchlist. Cheers fellas.

Right, I didn't know it was when they started rolling. I always thought it was in between a take, when it is pretty common for DOP's to adjust stuff.

As for the director being a hack... He calls himself McG professionally... Of course he's a fecking hack :lol:
It also blows my mind Gomorrah was 15 years ago! Feels like just a couple years. :(

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No. 23 - Old Boy
Total Points: 58
Number Of Lists: 11
Highest Position: 1
Voter Of Highest Position: @hobbers @oneniltothearsenal

Just catching up with this thread after a few days not able to check the caf. Imo this is too low for Oldboy but shouldn't be surprised and should be happy it at least made top 30.

Even taking into account my huge anti-lotr bias, I am a little surprised that lotr fellowship is so high up and the highest of all three lotr when I thought it was easily worse than the other ones (though none would be in top 250 movies)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Haven't really been a big fan of Star Wars... Just don't see the hype. Might try again with my daughter's when they get to the right age to try and enjoy it.

Anyways, that's the last one tonight... Will return with the top 6 tomorrow.
I'm guessing you're too young.

If you were a kid when you saw Empire in the theaters, you'd get it. It shaped my whole worldview growing up in the 80s and no joke hearing Yoda's watered down Buddhism as a kid basically spoke to me far more to me than growing up in Catholic school and was the first catalyst to me not considering myself Christian. Hard to really capture that impact unless you grew up during that era.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm guessing you're too young.

If you were a kid when you saw Empire in the theaters, you'd get it. It shaped my whole worldview growing up in the 80s and no joke hearing Yoda's watered down Buddhism as a kid basically spoke to me far more to me than growing up in Catholic school and was the first catalyst to me not considering myself Christian. Hard to really capture that impact unless you grew up during that era.
Yeah I was born in the late 80s so didn't see it until mid 90s earliest.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I thought so too, but upon further reflection, I think I actually disagree. Gangsterism is always a context. In Goodfellas, it's the context for the rise and fall and behaviour along the way of its characters. These could also have been in other professions (like business people - and then it's suddenly a lot like The Wolf of Wall Street!), but the gangster setting us required to really make the story bloom. Same in The Godfather. Yes, the family could also have been in another business, but then the menaces, deaths, and Al Pacino's character's development would have been much less pronounced and tragic.
You should not forget that Goodfellas is based on true events as told by the real Henry Hill. The gangster setting isn't there for the purposes of making it an interesting story, it is the story.

I'm not sure about the series aspect. Isn't The Godfather pt 1 perfectly fine as a standalone film? Knowing pt 2 might make you feel like it's a required part of the story, but I think no-one would have thought less of pt 1 had there never been a sequel.
It is but it's an adaptation of a novel that includes the backstory of Vito coming to America and becoming the Don that we saw in part II. While those elements could have been included in the first film it would have made it unbearably long. Those De Niro pieces of part II really add weight to the newer elements of the story, especially Michael's family breakdown and the Frank Pentangelli and Fredo arcs.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You should not forget that Goodfellas is based on true events as told by the real Henry Hill. The gangster setting isn't there for the purposes of making it an interesting story, it is the story.
I didn't know that, but either way, films also need to be be able to stand alone, regardless of historical facts or books or whatever else they may be based on - and I think you can look at them that way as well. So I don't think that invalidates my point that both the Goodfellas and The Godfather stories could be told outside the mob context, but that both stories work better within it.
It is but it's an adaptation of a novel that includes the backstory of Vito coming to America and becoming the Don that we saw in part II. While those elements could have been included in the first film it would have made it unbearably long. Those De Niro pieces of part II really add weight to the newer elements of the story, especially Michael's family breakdown and the Frank Pentangelli and Fredo arcs.
But again, none of that matters while you're watching pt 1. I've never read those books, loved pt 1, and I have never seen anyone claim that pt 1 isn't a good standalone film.