Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 7)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The style and presentation gets old after 5 minutes. And the biggest problem in gow is the lack of content. The entire game is the size of a demo reskinned over the entire length with zero character building or anything. Not just Bloodborne but pretty much most of the top action adventure games of the last 15 years leave it behind in terms of the actual content on the game. If this wasn't a sequel of an already successful franchise with a huge fanbase and wasn't milking the whole Norse thing which MCU and others are also into it wouldn't get half the sales it did.

As for the rest RDR2 is brilliant in what it does and was in my list. It has loads of content and you can actually replay it in completely different ways with a different experience. Same for Bloodborne where every playthrough with a different weapon is an completely new experience or witcher where your decisions constantly dictate your journey. There's nothing like that in gow and it falls short in pretty much every aspect of actual game design.
Not for me it didn’t. I can honestly say I hadn’t even heard of GOW before going into it and had never played the previous other games. To be honest I thought the linear story might put me off like with Uncharted and The Last of Us but i felt like GOW immediately grabbed me in. Kratos was a great character and there was definitely character building in the relationship between him at the boy. I thought the lore was really interesting too especially once you got Mimir on board. Overall the experience blew me away but I would agree that it’s not a highly replayable experience compared to the other open world games.

I did enjoy the bit of Bloodborne I played but ultimately I couldn’t stick with it just like Dark Souls as I just find the formula a little repetitive and frustrating after a while and I can’t motivate myself to jump back in.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This one triggers me a little. At least put pick games designed for handhelds and not ported over..

Anyway

1. Advance Wars
2. Pokemon Gold
3. Zelda Oracle of Ages
4. Lumines
5. Warioware

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS
2. Angry Birds
3. Snake
4. Tetris

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This one triggers me a little. At least put pick games designed for handhelds and not ported over..
No way :lol:

I loved Ocarina of Time as a child on the N64 but the remake on the 3DS was sublime. Kept all of the character and charm with updated graphics and is in my view one of the best ports ever.

Majora’s Mask is the better game overall mind but for I say hats of to Nintendo for that one.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No way :lol:

I loved Ocarina of Time as a child on the N64 but the remake on the 3DS was sublime. Kept all of the character and charm with updated graphics and is in my view one of the best ports ever.

Majora’s Mask is the better game overall mind but for I say hats of to Nintendo for that one.
Agree, those are fine as they totally remade them with better quality of life improvements and added 3D. It was more the monkey island choice I saw that had me head scratching. Like who associates that game with mobile/handhelds? :houllier:

Moby

Dick
I did enjoy the bit of Bloodborne I played but ultimately I couldn’t stick with it just like Dark Souls as I just find the formula a little repetitive and frustrating after a while and I can’t motivate myself to jump back in.
That's the thing about games like BB (or many other games in the past like TES) where you can make it repetitive if you want to but you can also completely change it up if you want based on your choices or your playstyle. Which is called having multiple character builds possible. In BB itself you can decide which stats to upgrade and that completely changes your entire combat given how different weapons scale with different stats. The sheer amount of configuration you can do with your own character and the whole gameplay which is something you find in pretty much most top titles over the years. There is no such choice in a game like gow. You HAVE to do the exact same thing every single time.

It's funny because I platinumed both GoW and BB so I obviously put good amount of time on Gow and did everything. I started NG+ because I wanted to fight the Valks again but then realised how that playthrough was gonna be exactly identical frame by frame and had no interest in it. I played NG+ of BB and just used a different weapon with the exact same character build and felt like I was doing everything for the first time.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not for me it didn’t. I can honestly say I hadn’t even heard of GOW before going into it and had never played the previous other games. To be honest I thought the linear story might put me off like with Uncharted and The Last of Us but i felt like GOW immediately grabbed me in. Kratos was a great character and there was definitely character building in the relationship between him at the boy. I thought the lore was really interesting too especially once you got Mimir on board. Overall the experience blew me away but I would agree that it’s not a highly replayable experience compared to the other open world games.

Agree, Gow was absolutely brilliant and has a lot of substance. Along with P5 is in my top 2 of last gen. Never got the hype for bloodborne and Witcher.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agree, those are fine as they totally remade them with better quality of life improvements and added 3D. It was the monkey island choice I saw that had me head scratching. Like who associates that game with Vita :houllier:
Totally missed the monkey island port chocie. PS Vita alone should be buried in concrete to never see the light of day.

Completely with you on that I’m grabbing my pitchfork and torch to rally an angry mob against a ridiculous suggestion :lol:

Moby

Dick
Agree, Gow was absolutely brilliant and has a lot of substance. Along with P5 is in my top 2 of last gen. Never got the hype for bloodborne and Witcher.
You're gonna make me cry putting p5 and gow in the same sentence. They are literally polar opposites in terms of content. I'd put P5 number 1 of this gen if I were to be objective and forget the enjoyment I gained out of BB and HK. The sheer amount of content in that game blows everything else out of the water and they deserve insane amount of credit for creating something just so insanely massive. I felt like I played a different game in every palace and the true ending was something else. Add the aesthetics and OST and it's an unmatched experience. GoW is so generic compared to that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Anyway

1. Advance Wars
2. Pokemon Gold
3. Zelda Oracle of Ages
4. Lumines
5. Warioware
Totally missed the monkey island port chocie. PS Vita alone should be buried in concrete to never see the light of day.

Completely with you on that I’m grabbing my pitchfork and torch to rally an angry mob against a ridiculous suggestion :lol:
Yeah I thought about Street Fighter, Tekken etc on PSP but didn't feel right putting them on my list. So Snake on nokia made it instead :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You're gonna make me cry putting p5 and gow in the same sentence. They are literally polar opposites in terms of content. I'd put P5 number 1 of this gen if I were to be objective and forget the enjoyment I gained out of BB and HK. The sheer amount of content in that game blows everything else out of the water and they deserve insane amount of credit for creating something just so insanely massive. I felt like I played a different game in every palace and the true ending was something else. Add the aesthetics and OST and it's an unmatched experience. GoW is so generic compared to that.
That's why we all have opinions.

GOW was breathtaking. To hold up a 90s score over both user and professional reviewers is quite the feat.

They are both completely different types of games. Maybe that's why I appreciate both more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's why we all have opinions.

GOW was breathtaking. To hold up a 90s score over both user and professional reviewers is quite the feat.

They are both completely different types of games. Maybe that's why I appreciate both more.
Yeah. I liked Persona 5 but felt it was twice as long as it needed to be. I found each subsequent palace a drag and couldn't really play it beyond number 3 or 4.

God of War on the other was an absolute joy. One of those rare that had me feeling like a giddy child throughout. They nailed everything. Combat was highly satisfying. Lore was great. Visually it was spectacular. World building was class. Story was one of the best. Phenomenal game.

b82REZ

1 - Hearthstone
2 - Pokemon Red/Blue
3 - Link's Awakening
4 - Super Mario Land
5 - Tetris

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That's the thing about games like BB (or many other games in the past like TES) where you can make it repetitive if you want to but you can also completely change it up if you want based on your choices or your playstyle. Which is called having multiple character builds possible. In BB itself you can decide which stats to upgrade and that completely changes your entire combat given how different weapons scale with different stats. The sheer amount of configuration you can do with your own character and the whole gameplay which is something you find in pretty much most top titles over the years. There is no such choice in a game like gow. You HAVE to do the exact same thing every single time.

It's funny because I platinumed both GoW and BB so I obviously put good amount of time on Gow and did everything. I started NG+ because I wanted to fight the Valks again but then realised how that playthrough was gonna be exactly identical frame by frame and had no interest in it. I played NG+ of BB and just used a different weapon with the exact same character build and felt like I was doing everything for the first time.
Honestly the impression I get is that you are just after a more hardcore experience than most gamers. I fully understand what you mean by the depth of customisation in the souls games and that’s really impressive, but ultimately that does little for the repetitiveness of the actual world as you trek down the same path time and time again, facing the same enemies and ultimately the same bosses (that previously killed you). That is something that doesn’t befall an Elder Scrolls title or many games in the open world formula. That’s also ultimately the reason why I think Elden Ring appeals far more to me. All of the challenge, with very little of the same repetition (or at least I hope so).

If a game is linear then I think it has to bring to the table engaging combat (for me personally GOW and Bloodborne have this in abundance) and also engaging story/narrative (for me GOW again thrives here while Bloodborne suffers). The reason I couldn’t get into Uncharted and The Last of Us was for the opposite reason, they had interesting narrative, but I couldn’t get into the gameplay which was clunky. GOW hit the perfect blend in that regard which is why I think it resonated with so many people. Good blend between, great presentation, casual yet sexy combat, and an interesting, yet simple story. That’s a hard line to tread.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
  1. Tetris (OG Gameboy)
  2. Errr....I think I played Sonic The Hedgehog on a Game Gear one time...
  3. I had Snake on a Nokia 3210 I guess...
  4. -
  5. -
This is how I felt too and was originally why I wanted to scrap this round but a few people were adamant this round was needed... Looking at the votes, I doubt there will be much tallying for me to do :lol:

Minkaro

1. Pokémon Red/Blue
2. Pokémon X/Y
3. F-Zero GP Legend
4. Pokémon Gold/Silver
5. Um…er…Gameboy Camera?

siw2007

1. Pokemon GSC
2. Pokemon RBY
3. Metroid Zero Mission
4. Golden Sun The Lost Age
5. Mario Kart DS

MrGroovy

No love for Pokemon Go? :(

Anyways :
1. Pokemon Go
2. Pokemon series (Red/Blue/Yellow)
3. Candy Crush :P
4. Cooking Dash series :P

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1. Pokemon blue
2. Tactics Ogre: let us cling together
3. Fire Emblem Awakenings
4. Crisis Core FF7
5. Tetris

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This is how I felt too and was originally why I wanted to scrap this round but a few people were adamant this round was needed... Looking at the votes, I doubt there will be much tallying for me to do :lol:
Yeah I was surprised how difficult it was. I played tons of GB/GBA games but wanted to put so few of them into the list. Most of the PSP games I played were probably PS1 classics.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can someone explain the Pokémon games for me please?

Are these coloured games updates (like Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 2 Turbo) or are they sequels?
They've been making basically the same game for 25 years now. Genius level capitalism.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think different people prioritise different things. For me GOW has the best hand to hand combat in any game I’ve played, much prefer it to Bloodborne. But then the souls games prioritise user input above all else and if you master it there’s undoubtably a greater sense of achievement. Personally I don’t think that extra level of control elevates it as an experience over games that are a little easier but make up for it in style and presentation. What I’m ultimately getting at is I find it much more satisfying to slap through hordes of enemies on GOW while looking and feeling like a badass compared to having to toil and grind through every encounter in a souls game but I get that’s a preference thing. What I can’t get behind is that just a tiny bit more combat control can counter the rest of what makes RDR2 (and those other games great), which amounts to far far better stories and a more polished presentation style.
GoW has nothing on the combat of DMC 5 :D

The Hilton

1. Pokemon (Black if I have to pick one)
  2. Dragon Warrior Monsters (think it was called Dragon Quest Monsters in the US and other places)
  3. Old School Runescape
  4. Angry Birds
  5. Copter
I really struggled finding a fifth. I was going to go with Pokemon: Magikarp Jump which was really fun, but I already had a Pokemon game.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1. Tactics Ogre
2. Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
3. Candy Crush (@Moby)
4. Angry Birds

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
1. Warioland 3
2. Pokémon Silver/Gold/Crystal
3. Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
4. Warioware Inc.
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Just missed: Warioland 4; TLOZ Spirit Tracks

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
1. Fire Emblem
2. Advanced Wars 2
3. Zelda
4. Tetris*
5. Pokemon

*arcade Tetris is rare and, interestingly enough, didn't popularise the game itself.

I can only assume Fire Emblem games are not well known.