RedCafe's Top 20 (30) by Position | Please check out the last threadmark

How should we proceed with the midfielders thread?

• Total voters

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@harms Can you pin the right-back thread like you did with the others? Would probably get more traffic that way

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Should be rated higher or lower?

Edit: Just seeing others rating him in/around Top10, wow!

I always thought his abilities was enhanced by that Barca team. Outside of that set-up he didn't really reach close to his peak, imo.
Didn't you watch the Copa? He's 36 too...

Didn't do too badly at Psg either, I think he's tightened up defensively as he's aged aswell .

Enigma_87

You know who

I always thought his abilities was enhanced by that Barca team. Outside of that set-up he didn't really reach close to his peak, imo.
definite top 10 to me. Still wondering if I should put him ahead of Amoros, but probably his offensive contribution just ousts the Frenchman. Him and Messi were something else at their heyday.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Right backs top-10 was probably the hardest for me so far. No clear standouts, just so many quality players — often with very different strengths and weaknesses.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Right backs top-10 was probably the hardest for me so far. No clear standouts, just so many quality players — often with very different strengths and weaknesses.
I found there to be a pretty clear top 8 after that it was a lot more difficult

harms

Staff
already put him in the stoppers thread
I think when the positions are different but they excelled at both you can include them. We've decided to draw a line between right and left fullbacks as they basically play the same role anyway.

The likes of Thuram, Bergomi, Schnellinger, Breitner etc. can easily feature in different lists.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

You're totally right to recognise the impact of that team in maximising the level of its star men, but to be fair to Alves he was a one-man flank at Sevilla too.

BlackShark_80

I think when the positions are different but they excelled at both you can include them. We've decided to draw a line between right and left fullbacks as they basically play the same role anyway.

The likes of Thuram, Bergomi, Schnellinger, Breitner etc. can easily feature in different lists.
think i prefer to put only one player per position, that's why i didin't include Maldini and Nesta in the stoppers thread.

Enigma_87

You know who
@harms I’ve included him as well but here it goes:

Should we include Gentile in that RB list?

Zona mista is pretty specific formation and he shared a lot of traits to a RCB rather than RB, whilst at the national team it was Bergomi who I would consider more at home at the RB position and unless filling in Gentile was always more central.

harms

Staff
@harms I’ve included him as well but here it goes:

Should we include Gentile in that RB list?

Zona mista is pretty specific formation and he shared a lot of traits to a RCB rather than RB, whilst at the national team it was Bergomi who I would consider more at home at the RB position and unless filling in Gentile was always more central.
For me, absolutely. Zona Mista was more adaptive than the simplistic version we're using in our drafts. Plus, Gentile spent entire seasons playing as a left back — and had some games where he would attack on an overlap.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I am especially disappointed in you Onenil

Zanetti
Carlos Alberto
Cafu
Thuram
Djalma
Vogts
Lahm

Bergomi
Rodriguez Andrade
Dani Alves

Gerets
Amoros
Maicon
McGrain
Bezsonov

Nelinho
Viv Anderson
Sagnol
Kaltz
Jusufi
Jorginho
Burgnich

(I will place this in order at the end, easier this way)

GodShaveTheQueen

I think you are right about Leandro. I rate him pretty high but I noticed I was in the minority. There is this default Brazilian FB are attacking and weak at defense general impression and then Leandro in particular has never had someone break down with videos and long posts.
Yea right! You are fired from the position of my Brazilian footballers consultant.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Didn't you watch the Copa? He's 36 too...

Didn't do too badly at Psg either, I think he's tightened up defensively as he's aged aswell .
His PSG days were probably his best as a "defender" and he was truly manning a flank without much support ahead, but then he was not the force he was at Barca.

definite top 10 to me. Still wondering if I should put him ahead of Amoros, but probably his offensive contribution just ousts the Frenchman. Him and Messi were something else at their heyday.
This is an article I found matched my impression of Alves.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/01/21/dani-alves/

Alves’s presence in the attack can be backed up by statistics. In the group stage of the Champions League this season, he completed more passes in the attacking third of the pitch than any other player in the tournament, 276. To make it a fair comparison, breaking the numbers down into a ‘passes in the attacking third per game‘ stat still leaves Alves top, with 55.2 per match. Clearly, it’s helped by the fact he plays in the best passing side in Europe, but it’s still astonishing that he tops that table considering his position on the pitch, rather than any of Barcelona’s actual forwards. That illustrates how much of the ball he sees in attacking positions, and how crucial he is to his side’s moves.
Astonishing. His primary role was in attack with defensive contribution being a secondary responsibility. He did put in a lot of effort defensively, but the tactics he played in made him of a winger with defensive duties than a fullback with attacking duties...in line with expectation of a uber-attacking 3-4-3 formation.

He is still listed as a defender but the team was set up for him to be a winger and the tactical setup helped mask his lack of defensive duties compared to a traditional fullback.

You're totally right to recognise the impact of that team in maximising the level of its star men, but to be fair to Alves he was a one-man flank at Sevilla too.
I don't know more about him at Sevilla,but didn't he play a 4-4-2 with a RM ahead of him?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Best version of Alves is from Enrique era, he stopped bombing up every chance he had like he did at Sevilla or under Pep(mind you he was still attacking a lot!) and he slowed his game a bit. Wasnt always in full sprint and automatically his game developed. His use of the ball was much better, his combination play went to GOAT levels and he became a much better defender as well.

GodShaveTheQueen

1. Cafu
  2. Javier Zanetti
  3. Lillian Thuram
  4. Djalma Santos
  5. Carlos Alberto
  6. Berti Vogts
  7. Guiseppe Bergomi
  8. Victor Andrade
  9. Dani Alves
  10. Manuel Amoros
  11. Leandro
  12. Philip Lahm
  13. Eric Gerets
  14. Tarcisio Burgnich
  15. Danny McGrain
  16. Vladimir Bessonov
  17. Jocelyn Angloma
  18. Jorginho
  19. Manfred Kaltz
  20. Claudio Gentile
This is why you have won so many drafts man!

BIG DUNK

Tank
For me, absolutely. Zona Mista was more adaptive than the simplistic version we're using in our drafts. Plus, Gentile spent entire seasons playing as a left back — and had some games where he would attack on an overlap.
Yes, Gentile's ability going forward is often overlooked. He played across Juve's back line and even in midfield.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Can see this being really tight in the top 5. Might be the position on the park that generates the most competition among our votes.

harms

Staff
@paulscholes18 can you please check the spelling? And no abbreviations. I'll need to count all that somehow.