RedCafe's Top 20 (30) by Position | Please check out the last threadmark

How should we proceed with the midfielders thread?

• Total voters

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good idea, done!

Goalkeepers

Sweepers & CB Playmakers

Center Backs / Stoppers

Full Backs

Defensive Midfielders

DLPs & Playmaking CMs

Box-to-box Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders & Classic #10s

Traditional Wingers

Wide Forwards & Secondary/Roaming Strikers

Playmaking Forwards

Strikers

------
Managers

Schneckerl

Made an overhaul for the voting, partly based on ideas from other posters. Tried to condense without shoehorning too much.

Goalkeepers

Sweepers & CB Playmakers

Center Backs / Stoppers

Full Backs

Defensive Midfielders

DLPs & Playmaking CMs

Box-to-box Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders & Classic #10s

Traditional Wingers

Wide Forwards & Secondary/Roaming Strikers

Playmaking Forwards

Strikers
That's really detailed. Debating which category each player fits in will take just as long as ranking them.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
DDG top 20?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
iirc, most (if not all) explicit statements in this thread were in favour of a post-war/full match rule. May be too late now (Zamora) or would require some editing.
Maybe I’ve rushed in. I can even delete this and make a new one, because for other positions we definitely need this.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
My only quibble would be that a full match rule is a bit arbitrary as, for example, many 1950s Europeans are eligible but their South American equivalents are typically not. If you're an outsider looking in, your first question might be why player x born in 1925 is eligible but player y born in 1921 isn't.
Good point, I'd say, all players who have played in world cups from 1950 WC or have a full game are eligible is a more fuller criteria.

Covers the likes of Varela/Zizinho etc while still leaving out the likes of Mazzola/Pedernera etc from mid 40's

harms

Staff
DDG top 20?
I thought a lot about and he makes the cut for me. Possibly the most gifted shot-stopper than I’ve seen and more talented than a lot in my list. His career for Spain is the only (but a very big one) criticism of his all-time stature.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good point, I'd say, all players who have played in world cups from 1950 WC or have a full game are eligible is a more fuller criteria.

Covers the likes of Varela/Zizinho etc while still leaving out the likes of Mazzola/Pedernera etc from mid 40's
Aye, a post-WW2 or 1950 cut-off should cover it off imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought a lot about and he makes the cut for me. Possibly the most gifted shot-stopper than I’ve seen and more talented than a lot in my list. His career for Spain is the only (but a very big one) criticism of his all-time stature.
It's hard to judge him with that poor international career sat alongside year-after-year of sensational club performance. I really struggle to place him at this point, although minded to consider him given keeper is the position that has seen the most improvement in the last 60 years or so.

GodShaveTheQueen

1. Gianluigi Buffon
2. Lev Yashin
3. Sepp Maier
4. Dino Zoff
5. Edwin van der Sar
6. Peter Schmeichel
7. Oliver Kahn
8. Gordon Banks
9. Rinat Dasayev
10. Manuel Neuer
11. David De Gea
12. Vladimir Beara
13. Petr Cech
14. Iker Casillas
15. Gyula Grosics
16. Peter Shilton
17. Pat Jennings
18. Jose Luis Chilavert
19. Walter Zenga
20. Gilmar
I am absolutely shocked :eek:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ostensibly, DDG is better than a lot of keepers that will feature, but the caveat is the era relevancy and what each did therein. DDG is poor on crosses and his international career has let him down. He also lacks presence and command of his box, but does that matter, when again, he is better than so many others above him?

I am more likely to put him in than not, but placing him is difficult.

GodShaveTheQueen

@Moby @Indnyc @Šjor Bepo @P-Nut

I've added the post WWII rule, please update your lists accordingly (no Zamora - and if there are others like him). Cheers.
The problem with post WW2 criteria is it includes a lot more than it should.

Take Sarosi and Da Guia for example, played till 1948.

Hence playing from the 1950 WC criteria made more sense to me.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@harms cant we just use physio rule of one game online to be available?

Enigma_87

You know who
Do people really rate Casillas that high?

Individually I can hardly put him near top 20 let alone top 10 or thereabouts.

Indnyc

I rate him on the fringes of top 20. Great shot stopper and played at a time when Madrid really didn't have that great a defense

harms

Staff

He's closer to the bottom of my list. But you can't deny his achievements, he had literally won it all and most of it — multiple times. Was incredibly important in those consecutive goalless play-off games for Spain (with the 2010 final as a pinnacle), had many memorable games in CL as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
I rate him on the fringes of top 20. Great shot stopper and played at a time when Madrid really didn't have that great a defense
He's closer to the bottom of my list. But you can't deny his achievements, he had literally won it all and most of it — multiple times. Was incredibly important in those consecutive goalless play-off games for Spain (with the 2010 final as a pinnacle), had many memorable games in CL as well.
I see.

However are we rating them in terms of ability as individual, credentials(what they’ve won), peak level or consistency throughout the years?

To me he’s an excellent shot stopper, great reactions, but he lacks the reach of keepers like Julio Cesar, De Gea and Oblak that fall in that category and his organisation of the defence, aerial ability, kicking is nowhere near top 20 IMO.

harms

Staff
I see.

However are we rating them in terms of ability as individual, credentials(what they’ve won), peak level or consistency throughout the years?

To me he’s an excellent shot stopper, great reactions, but he lacks the reach of keepers like Julio Cesar, De Gea and Oblak that fall in that category and his organisation of the defence, aerial ability, kicking is nowhere near top 20 IMO.
All of it — you decide which is more important to you when you make the list.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
To me it's always a mix of all of this for every player.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I've seen no problems with him organizing the defence. His weakness probably was coming out to handle crosses. As you say, lack of reach is a factor here. But that weakness never manifested into a liability and his other attributes overall made up for it. He falls out of Top 10, but definitely should be in 20.