Reds ready for final

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Warren Joyce have named a 16-man squad for tonight’s Manchester Senior Cup final against Bolton Wanderers.

Among those expected to take part at the Reebok Stadium (kick-off 19:00 BST) are young strikers Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda, while Lee Martin, scorer of the only goal of the game in the Reds’ last MSC outing, is also included in the squad.

United are aiming to lift the trophy for the second consecutive season and will start as favourites against a Bolton Wanderers side that recently finished bottom of the Barclays Premier Reserve League North.

Solskjaer's first season in charge of the Reserves has already proved successful, with the Norwegian guiding the side to a second-place finish in the league. United and Bolton will also contest the Lancashire Senior Cup final at a date to be confirmed later this month.

Fans can attend tonight's match at the Reebok (£3 adults, £1 concessions) or watch the clash live on MUTV (coverage begins 18:30 BST).

United squad: Amos, Devlin, James, Eckersley, Evans, De Laet, Dudgeon, Gill, Possebon, Drinkwater, Tosic, Martin, Eikrem, Stewart, Macheda, Welbeck

www.manutd.com

Virtuoso

Really looking forward to this, hopefully we can win. Great to see Welbeck and Macheda back in the squad and here's hoping they can help us lift some silverware.

muller

Have sopcast not got a permanent MUTV stream somewhere?

prateik

really hope we are in a position to play him against hull
*fingers crossed*

Laphroaig

I came in late (40mins into it), how have they done? Tosic is looking very good, from what I've seen. Welbecck and Kiko not too impressive, maybe too selfish at times, and a bit sloppy other times. In fact the entire team have had a tendency to be a little too fancy.

Welbeck just limped off. Hope he's alright.

RedPhil1957

Welbeck -- over fancy, why beat a man once when you can do it 3/4 times

Macheda -- very careless

We had loads of shots around 25 yards out mostly poor, the rest of the time we were just over elaborate.

Best players

Tosic

Amos

Martin

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
To be fair to him he's too good on the ball for reserve team football. I thought he did very well for the 30 mins my stream was up. Did his injury look serious?

Virtuoso

We had a lot of shots but not many clear-cut chances which you would say should have been certain goals - a lot of long-rangers and many lay-offs in the box leading to shots from the edge of the box. Amos showed his potential today, some top draw saves and a very solid and commanding performance. De Laet was assured too, James looked a lot more accomplished in midfield. I think Macheda did alright; held the ball up well, he didn't do anything special but the Bolton backline kept backing off and never allowed him much space leading the line. Welbeck did well in the first half cutting in and showing some real class, the first 30 mins saw us playing some very good football. Tosic was probably the standout, he was a constant threat though at times I think he maybe could have done more with some of the positions he was getting into. I felt Possebon was a little disappointing, bit careless with possession and held on to the ball for too long at times too - all players are bound to have off days though.

Great to retain the trophy, very promising Reserves season and good job on Ole's part.

jb8521

Does anyone still think it's a good idea to have just Welbeck and Macheda as back-up next season in the event that Tevez leaves?

No, thought not.
Fairly pointless statement after a reserve game where Bolton just completely packed the defence and where Macheda actually played most of the game on the left wing

Virtuoso

Does anyone still think it's a good idea to have just Welbeck and Macheda as back-up next season in the event that Tevez leaves?

No, thought not.
Well I don't think anyone would base what is going to happen a whole season ahead on one single reserve game, that would just be stupid. You could prove and disprove just about anything on the premise of one game, this statement also lacks context because this was a Reserve match and Welbeck wasn't even playing as a forward tonight - he was playing on the wing.

I personally would doubt however whether Macheda and Welbeck are ready to be permanent back-up players, but if Carlos Tevez was to leave then I am certain Sir Alex would have a plan in mind - whether that be giving youngsters the chance who he sees day-in, day-out or buying another forward who may cost less and offer something different. I trust Sir Alex's judgement to be honest, don't see why we need to discuss Tevez in yet another thread.

redfromcanada

No, thought not.
Depending upon what if any reinforcements that SAF brings in the summer, I would strongly consider loaning out one of the two, likely Welbeck, to get more experience. However, the situation has to be spot on for the player to succeed. There don't appear to be too many clubs that would fit that bill.

Decotron

Well I don't think anyone would base what is going to happen a whole season ahead on one single reserve game, that would just be stupid. You could prove and disprove just about anything on the premise of one game, this statement also lacks context because this was a Reserve match and Welbeck wasn't even playing as a forward tonight - he was playing on the wing.

I personally would doubt however whether Macheda and Welbeck are ready to be permanent back-up players, but if Carlos Tevez was to leave then I am certain Sir Alex would have a plan in mind - whether that be giving youngsters the chance who he sees day-in, day-out or buying another forward who may cost less and offer something different. I trust Sir Alex's judgement to be honest, don't see why we need to discuss Tevez in yet another thread.
Good post especially the tevez bit.

This place is obsessed with tevez at the moment. Concentrate on the team. The season is far from over.

Crerand Legend

Watched the game tonight and Tosic ,who I really didnt rate the first time I saw him has improved steadily rather than spectaculary.He does now however look like he might just make it here,the last couple of matches he has been a handful and is ready for the step up,hope I am right

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Macheda -- very careless
They were both sloppy but they were also able to take the piss out of the Bolton defenders with almost embarrassing ease. They're starting to look too good for this level of football - and they're showing off as a result. Ole will have a word in their ears and they'll get their focus back in the summer.

Tosic was also excellent but had a much better game because he looked a lot more hungry and still has a point to prove. P