Relegation Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

If all we do from here to the end of the window is sign Rabiot, I expect we could very well be around the relegation zone by time resumes after the world cup. Our form in 2022 has been absolutely shambolic and there are no signs of it changing

Wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo forces his way out too, and while I can't stand the man and won't miss him, I don't have any confidence in Murtough and Co. to bring in a decent forward. I mean we were going to sign arnautovic ffs

We can't score goals, we can't defend, we have a dodgy 'keeper, and the midfield gets overrun by every team out there. It's pretty grim really

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm not sure that relegation guarantees that the Glazers would sell - we have to remember how little of their own money they actually put into buying the club in 2005, they're not losing anything if they can't get a big bid for the club sinking in the Championship then they could potentially just hang-on for the income as the old sponsorships expire and the wage bill collapses when the new ones are struck.

Whatever will be left of our fanbase likely means big money by Championship standards balanced by the lower overheads of not trying to compete with the Premier League sides.

.Phil1968

I remember 1989/90 we were perilously close to the relegation places most of the season. It got so bad that we scraped a 2-2 draw at Millwall and thought that was a good result.
I think we need 4-5 players now with the right attitude, not 80 million pound players, but more like Malacia who showed he will fight for the club. However, for us to to sign 4-5 players in so short a time is fantasy island.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Usually when a so called Big Team goes through a shocking drop in form, its because:

A. They have a terrible run of injuries.
B. The manager has lost the dressing room.

Both are usually fixed quickly. players get fit and/or they get a new manager.

We only have Martial injured and we just got a new manager so the above is not applicable.

I think we are in real trouble. Saying we cant go down because our players are too good and we are Man Utd is just utterly naive.
Who do we beat right now with this squad. Who???

croadyman

I remember 1989/90 we were perilously close to the relegation places most of the season. It got so bad that we scraped a 2-2 draw at Millwall and thought that was a good result.
I think we need 4-5 players now with the right attitude, not 80 million pound players, but more like Malacia who showed he will fight for the club. However, for us to to sign 4-5 players in so short a time is fantasy island.
Just said we need to sign SIX

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You've got to be in terrible form for months on end to be seriously in relegation battle, trust me as a Villa fan I know it inside out in last decade so it's a bit OTT so far.

Even how bad you were last season you were still 21 points ahead of Burnley who were in 18th.

Liverpool will probably smash you so really the game you need 2-3 new players in for is Southampton away. I think they'll be relegated this season so losing that would be massive red flag and they were good value for the two draws last season with their pressing.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
You've got to be in terrible form for months on end to be seriously in relegation battle, trust me as a Villa fan I know it inside out in last decade so it's a bit OTT so far.

Even how bad you were last season you were still 21 points ahead of Burnley who were in 18th.

Liverpool will probably smash you so really the game you need 2-3 new players in for is Southampton away. I think they'll be relegated this season so losing that would be massive red flag and they were good value for the two draws last season with their pressing.
That’s the thing we are in terrible form over the last 15-20 games and the squad has barely changed in terms of its core.

AndySmith1990

We have been in terrible form for months. We've lost our last 7 away games, and our squad is in a worse state than it was last season

Dannn411

Our squad is bad but it's not quite bad enough to get relegated. Between 6th and 10th is a fair position for the current squad.

We're competing with West Ham, Wolves, Leicester and Brighton.
I think top half with this team is very optimistic. We have been relegation level since October/November last year so this is not a freak situation. This is now consistent and needs something very drastic in what remains of the transfer window to be halted. If this team stays more or less as is by the end of the window, I really believe we are looking at a bottom half finish at best. There's just too many heavily limited players.

mark_a

Glazers isn't it. Take over a successful club. Pocket cash. Don't do anything to maintain the success. Pocket more cash. Keep trousering cash until ..? Championship? Who knows where this ends, but it definitely started with having owners to whom we're an asset, to be used for it's value. A brand so huge it will continue to bring money in regardless of on-field results.

How much have they put in? £Zero. Millions have gone out.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly fear we could face a relegation battle this season, just look at Everton, that could be us this season or next if the whole squad aren't jettisoned. It doesn't matter who's in charge with this group of players, they've given up and they won't run anymore.

GazTheLegend

We're shit, and we're still way too good to go down. This disaster of a team finished 6th last season.
Team is worse than last season. Never say never. But ... We are probably going to start picking points up - eventually.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Glazers isn't it. Take over a successful club. Pocket cash. Don't do anything to maintain the success. Pocket more cash. Keep trousering cash until ..? Championship? Who knows where this ends, but it definitely started with having owners to whom we're an asset, to be used for it's value. A brand so huge it will continue to bring money in regardless of on-field results.

How much have they put in? £Zero. Millions have gone out.
Might even several billions.

FrantikChicken

we’ve been in relegation form for months now

Cristiano_RAFC

We can't score, can't win midfield battles, can't defend and have a broken goalkeeper. We absolutely look like a relegation team right now. The most expensively assembled relegation fodder in history.
That's exactly my sentiments after yesterday's game. The amount of money that's been spent with little to no return is simply astonishing.

lex talionis

We're not going to be relegated but we may struggle to land in the top half of the table by season's end...absent a major retooling of the squad in what's left of this transfer window and the January window. Right now the main problem is a lack of character by our marquee players, but we also have a quality problem in midfield that for some insane reason we have failed to address since the retirement of Carrick.

jimmyb2000

Was advising my mates to grab some of United to go down yesterday morning at 500/1. We were down to 20/1 last night.

Whilst it's highly unlikely (but not impossible) we'll go down, with that bet at least they'll get a run for their money and a possible cash out around Christmas of £80 (for a £1 stake)

I reckon we'll still be in bottom 6 after 10 games, somewhere in bottom 10 by 19 games and finish around 10th to 6th at the end of the season.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Maybe we'll finish above Nottingham but they have a better keeper. What do you guys think this year?
They already have more points than us. We have Liverpool next week and theres no chance this team gets anything out of that game. Silver lining on a relegation scrap could mean the leeches sell up as the value may drop.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Our last 2 league games of the season are against Bournemouth and Fulham. It's very possible we would need maximum points against them to avoid relegation.

Jerry Garcia

The team doesn’t run, put in effort, and has the worst mentality of any team in the league. They can’t score, defend, or win the midfield battle. It’s possible that this team doesn’t have a single point six games into the season. Relegation is a real possibility.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not happening. Put money on it if you think it's a real possibility. I'm sure you could get really good odds.

AdamD

A bit early to say but our performances / points tally over the last 6 months don’t look good. Next 10 games are gonna be key.

Stig

How about a little guess game ?

With this being week 1 how many consecutive weeks are we going to spend in the bottom three ? I think we have 2 more weeks there. So 3 weeks in the relegation zone.

Vapor trail

We're not going to be in a relegation battle ffs. So many drama queens.
Manager who's not really proven, has to bring a philosophy that takes time to implement. Football players who are significantly below a standard considered decent. I think United have enough to mix results around over a 36 game period but a low league place finish cannot be disregarded at this current moment in time.

Infra-red

I'm starting to believe that the best thing that could happen to us is relegation. Maybe that would make the Glazers sell.
I'm not sure. With the way the club is run, I don't think we'd come back up quickly.

Mammoth debts and reduced revenues could also threaten the continued economic viability of the club following relegation.

I don't think it will come to that though. This team is the worst we've had in the Premier League era and a bottom half finish is certainly conceivable, but I think we'll do enough in the second half of the season to finish somewhere around midtable.

Fearthegrimp

Anyone have any idea what the highest finishing premier League team that got relegated in the next season was?

RedOrange

He has to adapt his style with this team. If he realises this team is incapable of playing his style, you got to be playing defensive and grind out 1-0's

Not looking good here as we ain't going to replace a full team
If Ten Hag does this and finishes any lower than than 6th the board/club executives will sack him anyways. The alternative is admitting they have assembled a team that's bereft of talent, which they're not willing to do.

Lentwood

In previous seasons this would have been closed by the mods by now but I absolutely think its valid this season.

IF ETH sticks dogmatically to the approach we have seen in the first two matches I could easily see us being bottom half.

However, I do think ETH is smart enough to get something working eventually and we'll probably finish 8th/9th

Status
Not open for further replies.