Religion, what's the point?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
why mention Quran specifically when your comments could apply to any holy book?
My guess is because he started off with some news about Iran. If he were discussing American Christian nationalism he'd be talking about the bible.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I am Greek. Thinkers from Ancient Greece like Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, etc form the basis of the Modern Western science and democracy.

What does this mean for me today?

Should I study the Wise Greek Ancient Texts to find out what I should wear today?

Should I insist that women should NOT be allowed to vote, because they were not allowed to vote in the Athenian Democracy?

Should I consider Mount Olympus as a HOLY PLACE because that's where Zeus and the 12 Gods have their homes?

Why should the Quran have any more relevance to our lives today? There are 1100 years between Ancient Greece (400 BC) and Islam (700 AD), and one can argue that the world regressed during that time. There are 1300 years between 700AD and 2000AD, and the world has changed considerably in that time, and our knowledge for the world and science has progressed even more.

We have many problems today, but the solutions to our problems are not in books written 1300 or 2400 years ago.
Because well over a billion people believe in it. If they truly believe the Quran gives them the path to God and eternal happiness in the afterlife, then they aren't going to give it up. I know there are around 1.8 billion muslims, but how many actually believe and are just cultural muslims I don't know. I'm all for freedom of religion(as long as it doesn't harm the rest of us) and freedom from religion.

frostbite

why mention Quran specifically when your comments could apply to any holy book?
Because this discussion started with the following article. I am not aware of any other religion that uses technology to force people to follow a specific dress code. And I think this is a good example for how extreme this particular religion is. All religions are scams but some religions are worse than others.

(In a way, this is also a continuation of a previous discussion about whether Khomeini's fatwa for the murder of Salman Rushdie followed the Quran or not. Again, I am not aware of any other religion TODAY apart from Islam that have fatwas that call for the murder of a particular person by any random believer. )

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...al-recognition-technology-hijab-law-crackdown

Iranian authorities plan to use facial recognition to enforce new hijab law

Government says it will use technology on public transport in crackdown on women’s dress

Last edited:

The Purley King

I am Greek. Thinkers from Ancient Greece like Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, etc form the basis of the Modern Western science and democracy.

What does this mean for me today?

Should I study the Wise Greek Ancient Texts to find out what I should wear today?

Should I insist that women should NOT be allowed to vote, because they were not allowed to vote in the Athenian Democracy?

Should I consider Mount Olympus as a HOLY PLACE because that's where Zeus and the 12 Gods have their homes?

Why should the Quran have any more relevance to our lives today? There are 1100 years between Ancient Greece (400 BC) and Islam (700 AD), and one can argue that the world regressed during that time. There are 1300 years between 700AD and 2000AD, and the world has changed considerably in that time, and our knowledge for the world and science has progressed even more.

We have many problems today, but the solutions to our problems are not in books written 1300 or 2400 years ago.
Greeks had the best ideas.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they select politicians by a sort of national lottery every few years? Not people who desired power but just random picks from elite society?(could be adapted to modern viewpoints on who is eligible).
That seems like a far better way of doing things than we (uk) currently have.
The people who desire power seem to be the people who are most inept, incompetent or worse corrupt at wielding it

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This article already generating a lot of controversy. The NYT have it translated to Yiddish:

neverdie

i get what you're saying but writing off the entire philosophical canon isn't a smart idea. so much of what you see today is predicated upon values best articulated by plato and aristotle. they influenced everything, in politics, that came after. also beyond politics. and that's only two people.

frostbite

"You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reasons you don't see psychics winning the lottery."

That's a good one!

jackal&hyde

Eeeemmm really? No one at all? :lol:
He has a point actually. The Trump insanity has united the religious, very religious, people under his banner. Trump did become a symbol for extremist religious ideas (and racists also) to get behind of.

I know people in Europe that dislike the US, but love Trump; they are mega religious. There is some truth to that statement, as sad as it might be, he is seen as some sort of savior to the "oppressed" christians.

Withnail

He has a point actually. The Trump insanity has united the religious, very religious, people under his banner. Trump did become a symbol for extremist religious ideas (and racists also) to get behind of.

I know people in Europe that dislike the US, but love Trump; they are mega religious. There is some truth to that statement, as sad as it might be, he is seen as some sort of savior to the "oppressed" christians.
I was thinking of a few people who were around somewhere around 2000 years ago. But what has he actually done for Christianity? 'Uniting the religious under his banner' is a bit of a nebulous statement and promoting racism doesn't seem like it's a good thing for Christians.