Religion, what's the point?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I was about to ask you what did you found interesting. Glad I see the white text

That moron is a useful idiot

@frostbite what is interesting of that guy?

That he says that leaving islam is death penalty and he is happily alive?
That he literally says that He loves what israel is doing?
That he is measuring his opinion about islam for 1 single event caused for a conflict that is +75 years?
That he is Saying that islam is not possible to be fixed and after 10 seconds saying that is possible to be change and he had an example?
That he shares his revelation that 99% of muslims (statistics pulled from his ass) on the west bank dislike jews but if you ask the muslims in Israel is 50% (pulled from his ass again). I fecking wonder why? And he says. "I don't know how it would work in a greater scheme" . Maybe don't fecking steal their land?

He is a big big big moron, and you can post whatever you want, but calling interesting is baffling

And just a few things about Visegrad 24 in wikipedia

Visegrád 24 posted a CNN clip that claimed babies had been decapitated by Hamas during their initial attack on Israel. CNN later issued two corrections; the Center for an Informed Public noted they could not find any corrections by Visegrád 24 about the rumour.[6]

In November 2023, Bloomberg News found that Visegrád 24 was one of the influencers that went viral by posting misinformation since the start of the war, citing an instance where Visegrád 24 claimed without evidence that the Taliban had asked the Iranian, Iraqi and Jordanian governments for passage to join with Hamas.[8]

In December 2023, Visegrád 24 posted a video clip on X from 2015 of a man who shouted at Israeli soldiers before falling. In the post, Visegrád 24 posed the question, "What is going on here? Is Pallyywood [sic] in action?", in reference to Pallywood, a conspiracy theory that claims Palestinians are faking civilian casualties.[17]

The post is not only not interesting but simply pathetic
The post has been immediately taken down by the mods, which should tell you everything you need to know.

Visegrad24 is, among other things, an islamophobic, pro-Israel propaganda channel that intentionally uses half-truths, lies and misinformation. It's not a serious source of information of by any account.

Here's another example posted on 1st January of this year.

I'd also suggest you to refrain from personal insults, it can (rightly) get you banned. His obvious agenda and interesting views on particular topics are simply not worth it. Just put him on ignore.

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
@frostbite

What is the purpose behind your posts? I would also consider myself to be an ex-muslim and I have no love for Islam but I don't see how that excuses anything Israel are doing in Gaza and the West Bank.

Are you trying to maybe switch the conversation away from Israel's latest atrocities? Pretty pathetic if that's your intention.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It is not just violence and terrorism.

Above your post, there is a post by Withnail about Catholics in Ireland who need the bishop's permission if they want to marry non-catholics in a catholic marriage ceremony.

What about a Muslim woman who wants to marry a non-muslim in a mosque in Ireland? Does she need the permission of the imam? Is it possible at all? No? Why not? And why nobody discusses this?

And my question is about Ireland, it is not about what is happening in the 50+ muslim countries ... we somehow have accepted that these belong to a different universe and there is no point in criticizing their practices.
I would guess that @Withnail is Irish and has a specific interest in the issue, given the long history of Irish society being shaped by the church. In contrast, Islam is a minority religion in Ireland with a relatively small number of adherents and its influence on Irish society has been negligible. Add to that the huge number of Cafe posters from Ireland and I’m sure you can understand the occasional emphasis on the role of the Catholic Church in Ireland on this forum.

However, there have been plenty of discussions on the Cafe over the years addressing any number of questions relating to Islam, and the Cafe’s Muslim posters have regularly displayed a willingness to engage in these discussions and have often demonstrated remarkably thick skin and patience while doing so. Often I find that the forum’s willingness to discuss such matters depends on the general perception of the OP’s good faith or lack thereof, and in this regard I’d say there might be an impression out there that you just want to rant about Islam and Muslims rather than engage in productive discussion. But that is just speculation on my part.

RedDevil@84

It is not just violence and terrorism.

Above your post, there is a post by Withnail about Catholics in Ireland who need the bishop's permission if they want to marry non-catholics in a catholic marriage ceremony.

What about a Muslim woman who wants to marry a non-muslim in a mosque in Ireland? Does she need the permission of the imam? Is it possible at all? No? Why not? And why nobody discusses this?

And my question is about Ireland, it is not about what is happening in the 50+ muslim countries ... we somehow have accepted that these belong to a different universe and there is no point in criticizing their practices.
You have full posting rights in here. Knock yourself out.
Edit: And not be accused of trying to derail the Israel-Palestine thread.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The post has been immediately taken down by the mods, which should tell you everything you need to know.

Visegrad24 is, among other things, an islamophobic, pro-Israel propaganda channel that intentionally uses half-truths, lies and misinformation. It's not a serious source of information of by any account.

Here's another example posted on 1st January of this year.

I'd also suggest you to refrain from personal insults, it can (rightly) get you banned. His obvious agenda and interesting views on particular topics are simply not worth it. Just put him on ignore.
I called moron to the guy in the video, besides that, I didn't insult the poster at all

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I was about to ask you what did you found interesting. Glad I see the white text

That moron is a useful idiot

@frostbite what is interesting of that guy?

That he says that leaving islam is death penalty and he is happily alive?
That he literally says that He loves what israel is doing?
That he is measuring his opinion about islam for 1 single event caused for a conflict that is +75 years?
That he is Saying that islam is not possible to be fixed and after 10 seconds saying that is possible to be change and he had an example?
That he shares his revelation that 99% of muslims (statistics pulled from his ass) on the west bank dislike jews but if you ask the muslims in Israel is 50% (pulled from his ass again). I fecking wonder why? And he says. "I don't know how it would work in a greater scheme" . Maybe don't fecking steal their land?

He is a big big big moron, and you can post whatever you want, but calling interesting is baffling

And just a few things about Visegrad 24 in wikipedia

Visegrád 24 posted a CNN clip that claimed babies had been decapitated by Hamas during their initial attack on Israel. CNN later issued two corrections; the Center for an Informed Public noted they could not find any corrections by Visegrád 24 about the rumour.[6]

In November 2023, Bloomberg News found that Visegrád 24 was one of the influencers that went viral by posting misinformation since the start of the war, citing an instance where Visegrád 24 claimed without evidence that the Taliban had asked the Iranian, Iraqi and Jordanian governments for passage to join with Hamas.[8]

In December 2023, Visegrád 24 posted a video clip on X from 2015 of a man who shouted at Israeli soldiers before falling. In the post, Visegrád 24 posed the question, "What is going on here? Is Pallyywood [sic] in action?", in reference to Pallywood, a conspiracy theory that claims Palestinians are faking civilian casualties.[17]

The post is not only not interesting but simply pathetic
It's because the guy in the video is a grifter, if the poster actually wanted a genuine conversation regarding his 'concerns' he would speak to Muslims. But even then I would be very surprised if he will ever change his mind. The people he follows and posts says a lot, so it's better leave him be and let him rant.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It's because the guy in the video is a grifter, if the poster actually wanted a genuine conversation regarding his 'concerns' he would speak to Muslims. But even then I would be very surprised if he will ever change his mind. The people he follows and posts says a lot, so it's better leave him be and let him rant.
Never had an interaction with him about religion, so I wasn't aware. It was surprising that this ball of BS posted was considered interesting in any way

Withnail

I would guess that @Withnail is Irish and has a specific interest in the issue, given the long history of Irish society being shaped by the church. In contrast, Islam is a minority religion in Ireland with a relatively small number of adherents and its influence on Irish society has been negligible. Add to that the huge number of Cafe posters from Ireland and I’m sure you can understand the occasional emphasis on the role of the Catholic Church in Ireland on this forum.

However, there have been plenty of discussions on the Cafe over the years addressing any number of questions relating to Islam, and the Cafe’s Muslim posters have regularly displayed a willingness to engage in these discussions and have often demonstrated remarkably thick skin and patience while doing so. Often I find that the forum’s willingness to discuss such matters depends on the general perception of the OP’s good faith or lack thereof, and in this regard I’d say there might be an impression out there that you just want to rant about Islam and Muslims rather than engage in productive discussion. But that is just speculation on my part.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks :)

frostbite

I'm sure this has been discussed earlier in this thread and in others over the years. This thread is more of a discussion about whether religion is still relevant in the present.
Religion is obviously relevant in the present because the majority of people believe in some God, and some of these people have positions of power and make decisions that have an impact in our lives. And of course, some of the people who believe in God are ready to die or to kill for their religion. This is true in most countries, from the US to UK to Saudi Arabia.

... Except if you mean "Does religion have any truth in it?". Which has a simple answer: "no".

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Religion is obviously relevant in the present because the majority of people believe in some God, and some of these people have positions of power and make decisions that have an impact in our lives. And of course, some of the people who believe in God are ready to die or to kill for their religion. This is true in most countries, from the US to UK to Saudi Arabia.

... Except if you mean "Does religion have any truth in it?". Which has a simple answer: "no".
Do you mean the majority of the global population believe in 'some god'

And if it really is the majority, I would have thought that it was quite a tight majority. Especially as it is the older generations who were more religious. And these are not being replaced by the more secular younger generations.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Do you mean the majority of the global population believe in 'some god'

And if it really is the majority, I would have thought that it was quite a tight majority. Especially as it is the older generations who were more religious. And these are not being replaced by the more secular younger generations.
I think globally there are certainly more religious than non religious folk.

Here at least 85% classify as belong to a religious branch.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/religion-by-country

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think globally there are certainly more religious than non religious folk.

Here at least 85% classify as belong to a religious branch.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/religion-by-country
I'm skeptical of the accuracy if that source, given they have Norway at 80%+ Christian. It means they went with church membership instead of surveys. I'm sure most countries won't have that exact situation, but they might well have others that can't be adequately described by picking the first and most surface level number.

Gehrman

I'm skeptical of the accuracy if that source, given they have Norway at 80%+ Christian. It means they went with church membership instead of surveys. I'm sure most countries won't have that exact situation, but they might well have others that can't be adequately described by picking the first and most surface level number.
I agree, doing a world wide estimate is difficult. I resigned my membership of christianity in denmark. But apart from that you have cultural christians, muslims etc vs practicing religious members vs not practicing but still sort of believing in it.. The nordic countries in general must be high on the list of the most secular countries when push comes to shove.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Interesting thank you. This is a pretty broad brush assessment though and from what I read seems to me to be an overestimate of the true figure. And associating yourself with a religion isn't really the same as believing in some kind of god.
This, as well as the fact that religion is waning in the developed world. For instance, Christianity, the world's most practiced relgion, is in steep decline in "the west". In the US it is dropping pretty quickly and its already pretty low in Europe, which should come as no suprise given that there appears to be a clear connection between people communicating across borders and accessibility of knowledge in the information age, with the decline of people accepting religion. Islam still appears to be rising given the amount poverty and population growth in the middle east and parts of Asia, but that too will eventually subside once more people have access to information. The age gap issue is of course also a good indicator of where things are heading in a few decades. Once the olds who think religion is important die off, those replacing aren't very religious at all.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This, as well as the fact that religion is waning in the developed world. For instance, Christianity, the world's most practiced relgion, is in steep decline in "the west". In the US it is dropping pretty quickly and its already pretty low in Europe. This should come as no suprise given that there appears to be a clear connection between people communicating across borders and accessibility of knowledge in the information age, with the decline of people accepting religion. Islam still appears to be rising given the amount poverty and population growth in the middle east and parts of Asia, but that too will eventually subside once more people have access to information. The age gap issue is of course also a good indicator of where things are heading in a few decades. Once the olds who think religion is important die off, those replacing aren't very religious at all.

You make a very good point about the rise in accessibility of knowledge and information and the consequent decline in Christianity.

Christianity is very much a 'knowledge is power' religion, coupled with a carrot and stick approach.
Heaven and Hell....
Adam and Eve...
God created everything....
Jesus was the son of god....
Jesus performed miracles....
The Bible tells us...

No wonder so many people are turning away from religion.

Gehrman

Interesting thank you. This is a pretty broad brush assessment though and from what I read seems to me to be an overestimate of the true figure. And associating yourself with a religion isn't really the same as believing in some kind of god.
Religion is not limited to associating yourself to believe in some kind of god.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Another interesting set of data points. Clearly there is a trend away from religion in the developed world, and one slightly towards it elsewhere.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Apart from a couple very old relatives, there are very few people I know who believe in any God or have any religious attachment.

Figures for France for supposed Christians are so way out it's incredible. Churches around our area usually open only for the occasional funeral for very elderly people or for historical visits.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not in the Middle East! Dubai, Saudi etc
From what I've seen Algeria and Jordan have seen a small percentage of people saying they're more religious over the past decade. The rest are slightly down as less religous. No stats on Saudi, but of course living in a full on theocracy is always going to skew things a bit.

Withnail

It'd be similar in Ireland where the Church don't let you officially leave. Once you're confirmed at 12, which is too young in my view, they count you as Catholic. Also on the census many people put down Catholic/Christian even if they aren't practising. There's been a bit of a movement over the past few years to educate people that they shouldn't do this as it informs political decisions.

InfiniteBoredom

Figures for China will be near worthless imo since the default position there (and Vietnam for that matter) is you must be atheist to be a good citizen, that’s a combined 1.5 billions people from the two communist states.

From personal experience, while the people around me aren’t involved much in the organized Abrahamic religions, most of them believe in the supernaturals, some forms of superstitions and Asian religions (Buddhism, Daoism, ancestor worship). There’s also a lot of young people into all the weird loony shit like astrology, zodiac reading and what not. In short, I actually don’t have any faith in those countries keeping state and church separate even if the communist government is overthrown tomorrow.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Religion is not limited to associating yourself to believe in some kind of god.
Oh I understand that. We all have to believe in something.
And having believed in God and followed the teachings of the church when I was young, reading and understanding a lot more about science completely changed my mind. It provided answers to most of my questions.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Apart from a couple very old relatives, there are very few people I know who believe in any God or have any religious attachment.

Figures for France for supposed Christians are so way out it's incredible. Churches around our area usually open only for the occasional funeral for very elderly people or for historical visits.
Agree with this.
I went to a church a week ago for a christening, which followed the normal Sunday service.
The building was really impressive but freezing cold. And the vicar tried her best to inject some life into it.
But apart from those who just went for the christening, it was embarrassing that the congregation numbered 11 people, 5 who were the choir.All who looked to be over 80.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Agree with this.
I went to a church a week ago for a christening, which followed the normal Sunday service.
The building was really impressive but freezing cold. And the vicar tried her best to inject some life into it.
But apart from those who just went for the christening, it was embarrassing that the congregation numbered 11 people, 5 who were the choir.All who looked to be over 80.
Every village has a church but there are no services and there are dozens of villages and churches a few kms apart. People get married in the Mairie (or town/village hall or like a registry office in the UK), almost no christenings. There's one vicar who does a tour of all the churches in about a fifty km radius if there's a funeral for someone who is usually over 80. Our church, which is an impressive building, is used a few times a year for the local choir to give a concert or for the occasional funeral. If you want to go inside any church you ask for the key at the local Mairie.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Over 50% of US inmates self-reported as Catholic, Muslim, or Protestant, but difficult to assess who is truly what when certain privileges come with attending services and whatnot. Muslim faith is much higher reported in the prison population - 9% to 1% - compared to the US population. Less than 1% of incarcerated Americans are self-proclaimed atheists. The actual number is probably higher but likely under-reported by inmates for obvious reasons. So much for the moral argument shouted from the religulous crowd.

https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/...up-only-0-1-of-the-federal-prison-population/
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/745226402/muslims-over-represented-in-state-prisons-report-finds
https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/14/2/211

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
@calodo2003 That handle seems to post about everything, can't quite really get his/her/its side of the aisle and ideology. Almost like against all of it but seemingly criticizing Biden/Dems more so but also seemingly conspiratorial and anti-government. Here's a gem: claims mental illness is the driving force behind mass shootings - not guns or gender identity, so forth, I dunno, maybe not have guns so accessible to anyone - but a few days later drums up a trans mass shooter and mental illness together which seemingly clashes against the previous post not blaming gender identity. Also ties their political beliefs but curious if the poster is quick to do so for other shooters, or how about his/her/its feeling on the Jan 6th stuff? I haven't scrolled far enough to look.

Eriku

That’s hardly a major concession from Dawkins. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard him accept the notion of being culturally Christian, being perfectly happy with there being milestones marked through the church, etc.

Besides, your culture will be marked by religion, if only through the kinds of swears, allusions, idioms, etc. it uses. Don’t really see the issue here tbh.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Isn't there a saying, when you stand for nothing you fall for everything/anything?

the_cliff

From what I've seen Algeria and Jordan have seen a small percentage of people saying they're more religious over the past decade. The rest are slightly down as less religous. No stats on Saudi, but of course living in a full on theocracy is always going to skew things a bit.
Would be interesting to see the age demographics of people asked in these countries, especially in the Middle East where it's kind of known (assumed) the older you are the more religious.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would be interesting to see the age demographics of people asked in these countries, especially in the Middle East where it's kind of known (assumed) the older you are the more religious.
I’m pretty sure older generations being more religious is the case in the Middle East and beyond. The only outlier I can think of is Indonesia where it looks like everyone is more religious.