Remember that time we played an injury-depleted Arsenal team...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
...and won 8-2?

Let's hope Wenger doesn't on Sunday. Gulp.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We'll be fine, we'll have DDG, Smalling, Rojo and potentially Valencia back.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Arsenal still had their nr 1 goalie plus Koscielny, Rosicky, Ramsey, van Persie, Walcott, Arshavin. Their backups were Djourou, Jenkinson and Traore and their now starter Coquelin. Their attack wasn't really much worse than ours on paper.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I was confident about that game, because in the bigger games we are usually not that bad and rather embarass ourselves against the small ones. But with our current injuries we could get smashed again.

Robbie Boy

I remember watching it in a pub in Spain with the missus. Needless to say, I ended up getting quite drunk indeed.

Bojan11

Arsenal still had their nr 1 goalie plus Koscielny, Rosicky, Ramsey, van Persie, Walcott, Arshavin. Their backups were Djourou, Jenkinson and Traore and their now starter Coquelin. Their attack wasn't really much worse than ours on paper.
Those weren't backups too. Wenger bought Mertesacker and Arteta straight after that result. So not sure how OP thinks they were injury hit. Can't recall anybody injured for them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not even close then.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We also played them when we had loads of injuries and the twins started on the flanks and iirc we beat them 2-0.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We also played them when we had loads of injuries and the twins started on the flanks and iirc we beat them 2-0.
Yea, twins on the flanks and Anderson and Cleverley in central midfield vs Coquelin, Ramsey, Rosicky and Walcott and Arshavin on the flanks. Even with that team tonight we should never lose as big as 8-2 like Arsenal did that day.

MrPooni

...and won 8-2?

We also beat them convincingly with a team that included four fullbacks and a John O'Shea/Darren Gibson midfield, so there's that.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Arsenal created quite a few chances and RVP missed a penalty. Everything for us went in. 2 Rooney free kicks and Young. The Nani seal dribble and the Da Silva twins on the wings were more impressive.

Brightonian

Were they anywhere near as injury-struck that day as we are now? They had about the same number of first-choice players unavailable, but for the most part they were playing the next best thing instead. We're using the third or fourth in line for a number of positions. In terms of seniority Riley comes behind Shaw, Rojo, Blind and Borthwick-Jackson. Rashford comes behind Rooney, Martial, Keane and probably Wilson if he wasn't on loan. Any more injuries and we'll have exhausted the academy as well as the senior squad. Herrera's only getting into CM (although thank christ for that) because Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Fellaini were all unavailable to play there.

So yeah, I feel like we've legitimately got our excuses in early. Especially because the worst of the injuries are defensive, which prevents us from playing the conservative approach which is always the best way to beat Arsenal.

RedTiger

Half mast
Were they anywhere near as injury-struck that day as we are now? They had about the same number of first-choice players unavailable, but for the most part they were playing the next best thing instead. We're using the third or fourth in line for a number of positions. In terms of seniority Riley comes behind Shaw, Rojo, Blind and Borthwick-Jackson. Rashford comes behind Rooney, Martial, Keane and probably Wilson if he wasn't on loan. Any more injuries and we'll have exhausted the academy as well as the senior squad. Herrera's only getting into CM (although thank christ for that) because Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Fellaini were all unavailable to play there.

So yeah, I feel like we've legitimately got our excuses in early. Especially because the worst of the injuries are defensive, which prevents us from playing the conservative approach which is always the best way to beat Arsenal.
True.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone who believes Arsenal will get a huge win on Sunday is delusional. We haven't scored in something like five of our last eight games. In spite of creating innumerable chances, none of our forwards seem to be able to put the ball into the back of the net. I think you guys will grab a couple of goals early in the second half and we might nick a consolation goal and moan about fluffed chances.

Jaytay

...and won 8-2?

Hahahahaha I was actually thinking that this would be good time for them to get there revenge, I really pray that doesn't happen. To lose 8-2 to Arsenal would be a huge embarrassment. I still haven't gotten over that 6-1 humiliation by Manchester City.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That side shouldn't have been beaten 8-2. I think e score line would have been similar regardless of who played for them. The atmosphere around the club that period was very toxic.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United were more dominant in the 2-1 win the following season than the 8-2.

Charlie Foley

Yea, twins on the flanks and Anderson and Cleverley in central midfield vs Coquelin, Ramsey, Rosicky and Walcott and Arshavin on the flanks. Even with that team tonight we should never lose as big as 8-2 like Arsenal did that day.
You're mixing up matches. The one he's talking about was in the FA Cup in the 2010-2011 season. We played the twins on the wings, Gibson and O'Shea in midfield. And won 2-0

The 8-2, our midfield was Anderson and Cleverley, with Young and possibly Valencia on the flanks. It was the same year but the following season, but in the league

Siorac

Fun fact: we had a younger starting XI than Arsenal that day.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone who believes Arsenal will get a huge win on Sunday is delusional. We haven't scored in something like five of our last eight games. In spite of creating innumerable chances, none of our forwards seem to be able to put the ball into the back of the net. I think you guys will grab a couple of goals early in the second half and we might nick a consolation goal and moan about fluffed chances.
:lol: You're a miserable bastard, krovv.

lysglimt

Scout
I was confident about that game, because in the bigger games we are usually not that bad and rather embarass ourselves against the small ones. But with our current injuries we could get smashed again.
Yup - our results against the top-sides and expected top-sides really have been quite decent this year.

Chelsea 2 draws
Spurs 1 win
Everton 1 win
Leicester 1 draw
Liverpool 2 wins
Arsenal 1 defeat
City 1 draw

16 Points from these 9 games is not what has ruined our season - to put it that way

lysglimt

Scout
Those weren't backups too. Wenger bought Mertesacker and Arteta straight after that result. So not sure how OP thinks they were injury hit. Can't recall anybody injured for them.
They had quite a lot - but nowhere near what we had. As I remember and from the team I saw Arsenal used that day - Song, Diaby, Frimpong, Vermaelen, Gervinho and Sagna at least were out