Remember when we were good

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We have zero creativity in this side as we did a decade ago. Nevermind Ronaldo.....even Nani and Berba were light years ahead of anything we have at the moment....and it shows.

Darkhorsez

We have zero creativity in this side as we did a decade ago. Nevermind Ronaldo.....even Nani and Berba were light years ahead of anything we have at the moment....and it shows.
Oh my, you are such a cheerful person! That team and players were full of confidence at that time to make such plays. I think labelling our current set of players with zero creativity is unbelievable. Each to their own though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oh my, you are such a cheerful person! That team and players were full of confidence at that time to make such plays. I think labelling our current set of players with zero creativity is unbelievable. Each to their own though.
I wasn't exaggerating. We have no flair players...zero.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really? Wow! I guess Old Madrid fans will look back now and say "Never thought a day would come when we'll be lifting the champions league in an era of super dominant teams 3 times in a roll." Que sera sera! The future is not ours to see.
I doubt I'll see another manager as good as SAF in my lifetime let alone one managing United.

That's great for Madrid but I doubt this is their greatest ever team. They did win 5 ECs on the bounce in the past. Plus their league record of late isn't very good. But even if you do consider this their golden era, it's possible that current success is neither never replicated or not so for a long long time. For example Barcelona may not get another period like the Messi era for a long time, if they ever do.

Darkhorsez

Good players but no where in the creative genius department that CR7, Nani, and Berba were.
You mentioned zero creavity and now it’s creative genius! Ok, on a different note - I would not rate CR7or Nani as creavite genius - brilliant players with skills and speed. I would think Berba was a creative genius when he bothered to use it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You mentioned zero creavity and now it’s creative genius! Ok, on a different note - I would not rate CR7or Nani as creavite genius - brilliant players with skills and speed. I would think Berba was a creative genius when he bothered to use it.
Ronaldo and Nani not creative geniuses ? Surely you jest.

alanjohnson

Remember when Sir Alex Ferguson was 'finished' when Mourinho's Chelsea arrived on the scene.
When we had Alan Smith in midfield?
When Keane was released.

Bestietom

Football has changed so much since I started following United way back in 1959. Systems have changed with 3 at the back and 5 across the middle and so on.

The 60's had the 4-3-3 formation when England won the WC, then onto the 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2 and so on. But it always seemed to be that clubs prefered 2 strikers up front, and this produced more goals IMO.

Fergie prefered the 4-4-2 with Beckham and Giggs out wide, then Giggs and Ronaldo. We had Poborsky, Kanchelskis, Sharp, and many others with Wingers always prefered.

In our 1999 treble winning year we had 4 centre forwards, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, and Solskaer. All of these contributed to scoring goals as well as Giggs, Scholes, Keane, and most of the team got in on the act.

I don't think I will ever see those days again, and we should have appreciated it more.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Manchester United gained world recognition playing quick and energetic attacking football. It's part of the English DNA and United encapsulated it best with the likes of Keane, Giggs, with that extra flair of Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo, amongst others.

Manchester has always been an industrial city. Hard work, determination and passion should always be in your identity. Leave the opera and fancy football to Paris, Madrid and London.

Sylar

2001 and 2009 in particular. Shame. Would kill for United to win another title.

It's 5 years encounting....
Even the last one under Fergie. For me, it just seemed a given we would win that title after what happened the year before (and the season ended in a disappointment cos of that loss to Madrid - where we pretty much lost a bit of momentum / steam from that point onwards)

Blackice64

This is RAWK mentality talking about how good Liverpool was in the 80s when they was in the 90s.

And in Liverpool, Chelseas, Arsenals etc defence they would argue that the only reason we was THAT good was because we could outspend the competition like Rio Ferdinand 30 odd million, Rooney etc.. we could overspend on the best of British. Now there is a more "level-playing field" we are an "also-ran".

JohnnyKills

We're still good. We're clearly better than 87 of the 92 teams in the football league and that number might be even higher. There's no reason to wallow in nostalgia or self-pity.

But most of us can remember a time when we were really good. There haven't been too many club sides in recent history greater than the ´99 or ´08 United sides. So it's frustrating to see the mistakes which have been made over the past five years.

We haven't been knocked off our perch, we've jumped off it, and that's the reason a lot of fans would rather criticise than adopt blind loyalty.

acnumber9

This is RAWK mentality talking about how good Liverpool was in the 80s when they was in the 90s.

And in Liverpool, Chelseas, Arsenals etc defence they would argue that the only reason we was THAT good was because we could outspend the competition like Rio Ferdinand 30 odd million, Rooney etc.. we could overspend on the best of British. Now there is a more "level-playing field" we are an "also-ran".
They would be wrong though. Liverpool used to spend more than Manchester United and our most successful period coincided with Chelsea having a billionaire benefactor. Even going back to the 90’s Newcastle were at one time the big spenders and before that Blackburn.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Well they can argue as much as they want, they will still be wrong.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We're still good. We're clearly better than 87 of the 92 teams in the football league and that number might be even higher. There's no reason to wallow in nostalgia or self-pity.

But most of us can remember a time when we were really good. There haven't been too many club sides in recent history greater than the ´99 or ´08 United sides. So it's frustrating to see the mistakes which have been made over the past five years.

We haven't been knocked off our perch, we've jumped off it, and that's the reason a lot of fans would rather criticise than adopt blind loyalty.
Yeah, thread should be "remember when we were great"?

FrenchRed

I loved the 94/95/96 seasons - those teams were amazing. Gutsy, pacey and with speed - Schmeichel, Parker, Pallister, Irwin, Bruce, Sharpe, Ince
Hughes, McClair, Keane, Cantona, Robson, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Cole... and then Scholes, Beckham, the Nevilles, Butt, just coming into the side. It was new ground to win the league and to have the start of the wave of success.

I was a in my late teens and was often at OT games. Special times - I preferred this to the Rooney/Ronaldo years when we were pretty much assured of the dominance.