Reminder that United have outspent most of our rivals

He'sRaldo

I think this has to be said.

Over the last two years Manchester United have signed:
Daniel James - 15 million
AWB - 50 million
Fred - 53 millio
Dalot - 19 million
140 million (27 million raised in player sales)
Net - 115 million

In the same time period:

Tottenham
Ndombele - 63 million
Jack Clarke - 10 million
73 million (30 million raised in player sales)
Net - 45 million

Arsenal:

Saliba - 27 million
Martinelli - 6 million
Torreira- 25 million
Leno - 22 million
Sokratis - 14 million
Guendozi - 7 million
107 million (10 million raised in player sales)
Net - 95 million

Liverpool:

Van der Berg - 1 million
Allison - 56 million
Keita - 54 milion
Fabinho - 40 million
Shaqiri- 14million
165 million (55 million raised in player sales)
Net - 110 million

Chelsea -

Kovacic - 40 million
Kepa - 72 million
Pulisic - 57 million
Jorgino - 50 milion
229 million (170 million raised in player sales)
Net - 60 million

Man City -

Rodri - 63 million
Angelino - 10 million
Steffan - 7 million
Mahrez - 61 million
Palaversa - 6 million
150 million (70 million raised in player sales)
Net - 80 million

Over the last two years, we have spent more (net sales wise) than any other of the top six teams. We have spent gross more than Tottenham/Arsenal and equivalent to Liverpool.

I categorically do not like the Glazer family. I think the nature of the buy out and the increase in ticket prices have been catastrophic to the matchday experience. However, by any metric (2 year/5 year/10 year) our net spend and gross spend is consistently in the top 2/3 in the league. If we sign Harry Maguire (currently looking relatively likely) then we have spent the most gross/net out of all the top six clubs.

We would all like more signings. We would all like us to compete with the very best and win leagues. However, spending money above and beyond every other team isn't always the best way to do it.

Good post, and it doesn't even include the wage bill, which we will most likely be topping as well.

romufc

Well United is just awful at selling, so if you compare net spend you get a sort of biased view.

If you take that in consideration only Arsenal and Tottenham spent less.

At the same time im not saying the club doesn't spend alot of money.
However it's hard to tell if it's United, Ed/whoever, being shit at doing business or the "United extra Tax" but considering how the sales go i'm a believer of the first option.
This is what I have said in my post with players sold by other clubs, some of the people here cannot face the fact that our negotiations are shit.

We continue to over pay and under value our players.

AshRK

Spending money is not the real issue, not spending it wisely is. SO far this summer Ole has not been backed and we cannot challenge the likes of City unless the club backs the manager.

romufc

From which shitty arsehole did you pull these numbers?
Looks like you have different numbers, well show me them and then we can talk. What you think we sold our players for more. well go and check, they will all be within 10%. Also some transfer fees are based on performance related too and they won't have the exact figure.

Kag

As has been said on here numerous times by numerous people (notably in the Saudi takeover thread), the problem here is not a lack of money, it's a lack of competence.

The last player we signed who was an unqualified success was in 2011 and we have been a shambles both on and off the pitch for most of the intervening period.

If the morons in charge are not replaced, then there's every reason to expect that we'll be back here in three years time wandering how we flushed another £400m in transfer fees down the toilet.
The reason the last unqualified success (albeit I disagree with this assessment completely) was in 2011 is because the coaching at the club has varied from lousy to prehistoric.

Transfer fees have been flushed away because subsequent managers have been unable to ensure the team scores goals for six consecutive seasons.

We’ve bought plenty of good players. Most of whom have been caught up in the malaise. The board is largely immaterial on this front. Where they have failed is in the appointment of both Van Gaal and Mourinho. Although, once again, I say this as Captain Hindsight. Most of us were skipping at the time of arrival.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes, we have a bigger Net spend. Because we have absolute no value in our squads, or crap negotiating to get value from players we are selling.

It shows how incompetent the board is, if we sold better we would have maintained the same net spend with 1 or 2 additional players in the squad.
No it shows incompetent the managers have been when they have constantly signed flops. You make it sound like it's hard to sell a 25 year old who just scored 25 goals in the P.L. .

romufc

No it shows incompetent the managers have been when they have constantly signed flops. You make it sound like it's hard to sell a 25 year old who just scored 25 goals in the P.L. .
If you are refering to Lukaku, I am actually arguing the opposite, If you have a look at 2/3 posts I have posted on this thread and the Lukaku thread, I have maintained we should be looking for £70m for him.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is funny. Just this morning I was reading criticism of the board for not selling Darmian and Lukaku for less money. Ultimately, they can’t win. Unless they lobotomise the morons that make up at least half of the fan base.
The answer is we're terrible at everything transfer related. Selling, buying, over paying, contract negotiations - the lot. Which is a big reason as to why we've been largely crap since SAF retired.

Kag

Looks like you have different numbers, well show me them and then we can talk. What you think we sold our players for more. well go and check, they will all be within 10%. Also some transfer fees are based on performance related too and they won't have the exact figure.
:lol: I’m not researching numbers because you decided to pluck them out of your arse.

You started it; do it properly.

UpWithRivers

Even though Sanchez was free he should be considered for the amount of cash put up to get him. And we pay the most wages. Yes we are fkd because the incompetence of managers but we brought in top managers-Moyes was a joke but he was recommended by Sir Alex himself. LVG and Mourinho were seen as good managers.
Basically The Glazers have spent quite a bit of cash and they have brought in top managers. Its easy in hindsight to say this manager was wrong or this player but at the time they were bought everyone thought they were great. They are not football men. They would have turned to those at the club with know how to direct them.
There is also the problem of Utd tax. Its a fact. Every fker wants 10 percent extra for sales, 10 percent extra for wages and offer 50 percent less for our players. Problem is fault or no fault we are in a fkin big hole and we need 300 mill plus.
On top of all that sht teams wont sell anymore and players wont come because we are sht.

Last edited:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Your title says united have outspent most of our rivals. Then you back that up using the "net" spend. Net is not the same as spent. The "spent" figures show we are only ahead of Arsenal and Tottenham.

Anyway, we all spend a lot and it comes down to how well the money was spent. BTW, how come VVD is not on the Liverpool list?

Handré1990

I like some positivity as well, but this isn’t really on point. We have to look at where we’re at, and where we want to be, not just throw down an exel sheet and go «so there!».

Stetcg

AWB - 50 million
Fred - 53 millio
Dalot - 19 million
Net - 115 million

In the same time period:

Tottenham
Ndombele - 63 million
Jack Clarke - 10 million
Net - 45 million

Arsenal:

Saliba - 27 million
Martinelli - 6 million
Torreira- 25 million
Leno - 22 million
Sokratis - 14 million
Guendozi - 7 million
Net - 95 million

Liverpool:

Van der Berg - 1 million
Allison - 56 million
Keita - 54 milion
Fabinho - 40 million
Shaqiri- 14million
Net - 110 million

Chelsea -

Kovacic - 40 million
Kepa - 72 million
Pulisic - 57 million
Jorgino - 50 milion
Net - 60 million

Man City -

Rodri - 63 million
Angelino - 10 million
Steffan - 7 million
Mahrez - 61 million
Palaversa - 6 million
Net - 80 million

Over the last two years, we have spent more (net sales wise) than any other of the top six teams. We have spent gross more than Tottenham/Arsenal and equivalent to Liverpool.

I categorically do not like the Glazer family. I think the nature of the buy out and the increase in ticket prices have been catastrophic to the matchday experience. However, by any metric (2 year/5 year/10 year) our net spend and gross spend is consistently in the top 2/3 in the league. If we sign Harry Maguire (currently looking relatively likely) then we have spent the most gross/net out of all the top six clubs.

We would all like more signings. We would all like us to compete with the very best and win leagues. However, spending money above and beyond every other team isn't always the best way to do it.
Aubameyang was bought by the Arse in January 2018 so I guess that is one team who have spent more in the last two years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smores

Funny how week to week the arguments shift and become even more desperate to remove any negativity.

None of the arguments here cover the main issue that we're not moving people on and replacing them. Heck we've even got people giving out agro at the suggestion we undersell, so really if we're getting value back our only issue is a lack of movement.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I myself referred to incompetence regarding Mourinho and transfers in this thread, albeit it’s always worth reiterating that few supporters, journalists or commentators had issues with the vast majority of our signings upon purchase. The signings generally made sense at the time, largely made in positions of need.

Matic and Lukaku were the most polarising at the time. Those who were sceptical have proven to be absolutely right, too.

Mourinho did a truly terrible job.
I’m not sure why you chose to respond to my post to make those points?

My point was that our transfer dealings have been a shambles since long before Mourinho took over. Which is as close to an inarguable fact as you’ll ever get in threads like this.

stepic

The amount of money spent it irrelevant if those players signed haven’t performed.

Our squad is far behind the title challengers. We need to be spending more than them to catch up.

Offsideagain

It’s not the money, it’s the players we buy which is down to changing the Manager every two years. City buy quality players for reasonable amounts around £60m for Mahrez, well that’s the published figure anyway. They have had an epiphany and won’t spend more than they consider a player is worth which is great when you already have a good squad. Everybody sticks 10% on top when United come calling and we fall for it usually.

David Moyes has made a good point about our transfer policy. Do we buy players to play good football or sell shirts? Pogba for instance has gazillions of Twitter followers which is an ideal marketing opportunity.

NickSantigo

I never bought into the net spend. Big clubs should not have to sell players to buy.
Furthermore, there are other sources of income like match-day revenue and merchandising from the much larger stadium and fan-base that we have that are not factored in.
A fairer method would be to look at how much we have spent versus how much we have earned.
How much we have invested in our training facilities versus our rivals?
How much have we invested in our stadium versus our rivals?

The OP is moving the goalposts to suit their own argument

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s not that we haven’t spent in the last 5-6 years, we have, the problem is it’s all a bit late because we spent feck all from 09-13. We literally did not improve the squad at all, and we’re still playing catch up.

El Jefe

There's a reason why other teams generate more in player sales than we do and simply put its due to Woodward and his ineptitude. Stick average to past it players on ridiculous contracts and you'll be unable to get a reasonable fee for them.

The fact that other teams can keep their net spend lower than ours shows we are doing something wrong.

Fluctuation0161

AWB - 50 million
Fred - 53 millio
Dalot - 19 million
Net - 115 million

In the same time period:

Tottenham
Ndombele - 63 million
Jack Clarke - 10 million
Net - 45 million

Arsenal:

Saliba - 27 million
Martinelli - 6 million
Torreira- 25 million
Leno - 22 million
Sokratis - 14 million
Guendozi - 7 million
Net - 95 million

Liverpool:

Van der Berg - 1 million
Allison - 56 million
Keita - 54 milion
Fabinho - 40 million
Shaqiri- 14million
Net - 110 million

Chelsea -

Kovacic - 40 million
Kepa - 72 million
Pulisic - 57 million
Jorgino - 50 milion
Net - 60 million

Man City -

Rodri - 63 million
Angelino - 10 million
Steffan - 7 million
Mahrez - 61 million
Palaversa - 6 million
Net - 80 million

What is our generated revenue compared with those clubs? Guess what, we generate the most revenue.

I like how you start comparing us with Tottenham and Arsenal. That is the problem! We were further behind in squad quality than those teams anyway. Spurs have just invested in ground breaking new stadium! Have we?

I'm sick of these silly comparisons and defences by fans with blinkers on.

Look at the 6 years of under investment in Fergies final years. Then the splurge under 3 different managers which all required different types of players.Thats why we need to spend more than those teams you cite.

Its not that fans only want big exciting names, we want to have faith that our owners and board know what they are doing.

Ultimately our owners are penny pinching leeches with no clue.

KristianMackle

I would also like to remind everyone here that a Ford limousine seats more passengers than a Ford Focus.

This thread is not telling us anything new. Ed is the one hiring awful managers who don't spend wisely. So we have to and need to spend.

Teja

I think the issue is also we could afford to spend a lot more if the debt load on the club wasn't as high as it is now and the debt is purely a function of Glazer ownership.

Doesn't excuse our scatterbrained transfer approach but maybe we wouldn't have been as far off from City / Pool as we are now.

Reactions: Invictus

Fluctuation0161

Yes, we have a bigger Net spend. Because we have absolute no value in our squads, or crap negotiating to get value from players we are selling.

It shows how incompetent the board is, if we sold better we would have maintained the same net spend with 1 or 2 additional players in the squad.
This.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Since 2009 then?
You mean at the time when we had one of the best squads in the world and City had been just bought by Mansour and were forced to play catch up?

In the four summer windows that led to City's first PL title (08/09-11/12), City spent 521.38 million pounds with a net spend of 408.15 million pounds while United spent 147.74 million with a net spend of 19 million.

Then comes the first season we actually spent more than City, when we signed RvP (instead of City) and won our last PL title. United spent a total of 68.81 million (net spend=60.12 million) vs City's 55.76 million (net spend=15.89 million).

in the six following seasons, up to 18/19, the numbers are: City: 933.02 million pounds (net spend=671.87). United: 805.13 million pounds (net spend=556.43).

Moyes got 69.42 million (67.8). LvG was afforded 316.22 million pounds (180.03) when at the same time City spent 279.99 million (191.74). Mourinho doesn't have the right to claim that he wasn't backed in the market since he was given 345.06 million pounds (261.67) to play with during his first two seasons but he's right when he says that Pep was given more funds to help him instil his philosophy: 477.9 million pounds in 16/17 & 17/18 (363.86).

According to transfermarkt.

R'hllor

What kind of shit is this, first our biggest problems are entitled wankers and now this 2 years bollox. I swear, this type of stuff you can see crooked politicians pulling off.

SirAF

Ageist
You mean at the time when we had one of the best squads in the world and City had been just bought by Mansour and were forced to play catch up?

In the four summer windows that led to City's first PL title (08/09-11/12), City spent 521.38 million pounds with a net spend of 408.15 million pounds while United spent 147.74 million with a net spend of 19 million.

Then comes the first season we actually spent more than City, when we signed RvP (instead of City) and won our last PL title. United spent a total of 68.81 million (net spend=60.12 million) vs City's 55.76 million (net spend=15.89 million).

in the six following seasons, up to 18/19, the numbers are: City: 933.02 million pounds (net spend=671.87). United: 805.13 million pounds (net spend=556.43).

Moyes got 69.42 million (67.8). LvG was afforded 316.22 million pounds (180.03) when at the same time City spent 279.99 million (191.74). Mourinho doesn't have the right to claim that he wasn't backed in the market since he was given 345.06 million pounds (261.67) to play with during his first two seasons but he's right when he says that Pep was given more funds to help him instil his philosophy: 477.9 million pounds in 16/17 & 17/18 (363.86).

According to transfermarkt.
I mean at the time where United sold the best player in the world only to replace him with Valencia, Owen and Obertan. Then subsequently neglecting to renew the squad which is partly the reason for United’s post-Ferguson troubles. United let the others catch up and only started to spend big once they realised they were in danger of deopping out of the top four.

bleedred

What is our generated revenue compared with those clubs? Guess what, we generate the most revenue.

I like how you start comparing us with Tottenham and Arsenal. That is the problem! We were further behind in squad quality than those teams anyway. Spurs have just invested in ground breaking new stadium! Have we?

I'm sick of these silly comparisons and defences by fans with blinkers on.

Look at the 6 years of under investment in Fergies final years. Then the splurge under 3 different managers which all required different types of players. Thats why we need to spend more than those teams you cite.

Its not that fans only want big exciting names, we want to have faith that our owners and board know what they are doing.

Ultimately our owners are penny pinching leeches with no clue.
We had the best squad during those years. How would you replace players like Ronaldo?. Buy Messi? We had no reason to invest in a squad that was winning leagues at a canter. Again, as the OP said, I am also not a fan of glazer, but the ideal scenario during that time was to save the cash and splurge it after SAF retired. and TBb, they have done it as compared with other clubs.

bleedred

I mean at the time where United sold the best player in the world only to replace him with Valencia, Owen and Obertan. Then subsequently neglecting to renew the squad which is partly the reason for United’s post-Ferguson troubles. United let the others catch up and only started to spend big once they realised they were in danger of deopping out of the top four.
and who could we have replaced Ronaldo with back then?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
If you're using these numbers to pretend nothing is wrong at the club and they've utilized the finances well then you couldn't be further wrong. To me the lopsided difference between players brought in and sold is perhaps the biggest issue at the club, every club makes mistakes when it comes to transfers. It's rather inevitable, but we are the only club in land who absolutely suck at getting rid of these. What use have Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Mata, Darmian etc been in 2 years? Why are they still at the club, why did 3 of them get extensions when they aren't going to help us close the gap with our rivals? You can only sink so much money before it starts to catch up, the reason we're struggling in the market is due to the fact how badly we are run. To pin it entirely on one manager, when the issue has been prevalent long before him seems transparent just to push an agenda.

To have that low a net spend despite the squad being filled with rank average players just magnifies one of the major problems at the club.

Fluctuation0161

We had the best squad during those years. How would you replace players like Ronaldo?. Buy Messi? We had no reason to invest in a squad that was winning leagues at a canter. Again, as the OP said, I am also not a fan of glazer, but the ideal scenario during that time was to save the cash and splurge it after SAF retired. and TBb, they have done it as compared with other clubs.
You invest in the squad to rotate the older players and bring through the younger players. Fergie had done it all through his career until then. Rafael playing in central midfield, Giggs playing till he was practically 40 and bringing Scholes out of retirement should be a good indicator that we did not invest soon enough.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
After Lukaku gets sold and we don’t make any more signings this window you’ll have to update this thread to say we have spent the least out of any of our competitors....

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Did the narrative shift? I can only remember people pointing out that we've spent poorly, which is true.
I think so. The general narrative for some time is they won't spend money because all they care about is getting top four, that they are apathetic about success, despite there being a very obvious correlation between revenue and success in football. Poor spending has often been conflated with under spending, and usually the point will be made without the money recouped from outgoings factored in.