g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rene Meulensteen urges United to replace Martial as starting CF

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Manchester United need a striker but it doesn't have to be Harry Kane or Lewandowski. That striker should be in addition to our current front 3, who are good in my opinion but if Martial got injured the dynamics change. I know people will say we have Ighalo, but am talking about a clinical sure thing here. Someone who could have buried the Rashford and Martial missed chances against Southampton. I think we should go back for Haaland. I want a strike force that strikes fear in opposition at Old Trafford before the match has even started. We are getting there at the moment. Lets get our fear factor back.
Wont ever happen, but I'd love to get Vardy, even at his age, to be our floating no 9. He'd be deadly off the bench or starting vs pressing teams.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can see his point in comparing Iniesta and Lingard as both do have similar attributes.

Oh,my buzzer went off. Time to take them pills.

Foxbatt

We did have 4 world class strikers playing for saf when we won the CL.
So the idea of having 4 strikers is not that far fetched.
If we take Rashford or Martial out of the line up now we will struggle. Replacing Martial is a silly idea especially now that he is playing the way Ole wants him to play and scoring goals.
There is no one better to teach strikers than Ole.
But getting a different option is a good idea. Not to replace Martial but to support him or anyone else including Rashford and Greenwood.

RUCK4444

It’s a question of whether to stick or twist because we wouldn’t want to mess with the chemistry our forwards have now but on the other hand this is the first season in ages where our no 9 has scored over 20 goals.

I believe United should have an elite level striker capable of 25-30 goals a season (every season) - and Greenwood can be that player.

This is why I want Greenwood to learn his craft as the no 9 rather than RW.

MDFC Manager

He's right on saying we need a consistent 20+ goal striker to achieve our ambitions.

Martial can easily be that man though.

UncleBob

There aren't really pure strikers out there for sale right now who would really add something to our team and Martial has tremendous potential.

But I think it's remarkable how most people aren't mentioning the fact that we are one silly injury away from resorting to Daniel James or Juan Mata up front, while also forgetting how much Rashford's injury has hurt us this season.

If we actually want to challenge for the league next year, a mature and experienced 20+ goals guaranteed attacker would be a dream addition, whether that's a #9 or a winger.

Imagine our team having the luxury to give Greenwood some rest during these busy weeks, while playing a 4-4-2 with Martial & Harry Kane (with Bruno and Pogba behind them) or a Rashford and Kane combination and rotate for a bit from match to match. Greenwood in particular is a massive question mark for next year, simply because of his age.

Compared to a team like Manchester City we're a couple of 70+ million attacking players light up front, yet we want to beat them and finish ahead of them over a series of 38 matches?
Lets just splash the odd £130mill+ on someone impossible to get, like Harry Kane, so one of our already performing players moves further down the pecking order, completely ignoring the other key areas in the team that requires attention.

Liverpool walked the league with a well functioning team, Salah, Mane and Firmino as their first choice up front, Origi as backup. Combined total of 60 goals. Origi has 5 goals in 41 matches, Firmino has 11 in 50.

Martial, Rashford and Greenwood have 61 goals in an injury ridden non-functioning side, not exactly bad.

In my opinion, everyone going on about the importance of bringing in a 20+ something something guaranteed goals, or a "proper striker", couldn't possibly understand less about what we're trying to achieve. Ole had faith that our attacking players would deliver and they haven't let him down, they proved there wasn't an immediate need to bring in someone to directly replace Lukaku. Factor in that two of those attacking players are local academy players and it underlines the importance of sticking to our current plan. Now we need to give them the chance to prove they can deliver on a consistent basis and that this season isn't a one off. How much better can the understanding between Martial and Rashford get, what level can they reach, the last thing you want to do is bring in an established star, that sure as feck isn't there to be rotated, to potentially disrupt the development of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood.

Everyone knows that the idea is to bring in Sancho. We'll then have a first choice attacking trio consisting of Rashford, Martial and Sancho, with Greenwood, Ighalo (until 31st of january 2021) and James as the main backups. It gives us plenty of options for rotation depending on opposition while it also allows room for player development where we're focusing on results now and the long term future of Greenwood and his path to becoming a key player for us. It's unrealistic that we'll compete for the league next season, so we plan ahead two seasons and give our attacking players the right conditions to develop further. If Sancho is impossible to sign under the current conditions created due to the pandemic then we'll look for alternatives for players that primarily play off the right, as that's the side we need to focus the most on.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes, we need a striker but not to replace but to be a competent backup to Martial. Someone who is better than Ighalo.

Someone like Jimenez would make sense.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Do these people not watch our games?

Martial seems our version of Benzema. We just need to keep giving Rashford time and opportunity to mature to the Ronaldo role (I know he'll never be as good) and get Sancho for our Bale.

At the moment, Martial is the best component of our front three in terms of quality, consistency and work rate.

RUCK4444

What really happened to him? He wasn't a bad player before.
I think he would probably play his way back into form in this team with the linkup and movement we have but we can’t afford to play with effectively 10 men for however long that would take.

He’s not a bad player with good movement but really struggled to get himself into games and effect them. Will probably do pretty well at a mid level club.

Greck

Some of these old school coaches can't fathom a setup with anything less than your traditional out and out striker. Modern setups now see the importance of facilitating strikers like the Benzemas and Firminhos spearheading front threes. Rashford and Greenwood are gunners who can be maximised with these types of strikers.

PeteManic

Clickbait shite on a soundbite radio station.

The front 3 works precisely because none of them are an out-and-out no.9. Plus they all like each other and seem happy to be the scorer or provide the assist.

Bring in a Ruud type no.9 and watch him moan about nobody passing to him.

With all due respect, feck off Rene.

mav_9me

Yes Martial could do better scoring fox in the box type of goals and he should work on that. At the same time you can't teach a proper no. 9 his dribbling skills. I would much rather this Martial (particularly with his much improved physicality and hold up play) than a RVN type or Kane.

Remember when we sold RVN and went with Saha, Rooney and Ronaldo or later with Rooney, Ronaldo and tevez. There was no proper no. 9. It was a dynamic set of attackers.

Withnail

He’s got 17 in the league and he’s been out injured at points.

It wouldn’t be hugely surprising if he hit 20 either.
This is the worst part about it. The timing of these comments makes no sense.

Both Martial and Rashford in injury-hit seasons are on 22 in all Comps and 17 in the league.

Either or both of them could still hit 20 in the league.

H10

Huseyin 10
Can't really complain about Rashford and Martials season to be honest. Both have done really well and bodes well for next season.